As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[mini-Phalla] Anonymous: Day 6

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    The only thing I can guess at is that someone could potentially be able to help you make more changes? But that's guessing at what specials are out there and who knows.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    We don't and it was CD'd.

Also while I doubt the answer to this is yes, just in case: Are IP addresses revealed publicly upon a player's death/otherwise removal from the game?

No

• Options
    vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    vertroue wrote: »
    I am so lost already.
    I can help. Choose which will be provided:
    1) Hugs
    B) Murder

III)Both?

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I am so lost already.
    I can help. Choose which will be provided:
    1) Hugs
    B) Murder

III)Both?
    You have chosen: Muder by Hugging™

A fine choice. You may have a moment to prepare your body.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    So to sum everything up:

Obifett and INANTP wants us to reveal our IP addresses to everyone, so that the mafia can better gain the info they need to kill us faster and vertroue is going to die by being hugged to death, which is the best/worst way to die, simultaneously.

I miss anything?

• Options
    i don't think you read the thread very closely

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I saw blah blah blah, let's tell get the person below you's IP, blah blah blah, hugs.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Hugs are the most important part of today, yes.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I saw blah blah blah, let's tell get the person below you's IP, blah blah blah, hugs.

Somebody needs a hug.

III)

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    Heheheh I think this is the best idea yet.

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • Options
    Buddha73Buddha73 Registered User regular
    So to sum everything up:

Obifett and INANTP wants us to reveal our IP addresses to everyone, so that the mafia can better gain the info they need to kill us faster and vertroue is going to die by being hugged to death, which is the best/worst way to die, simultaneously.

I miss anything?

I agree. The whole part of the game is to Not reveal your IP address or access code!

• Options
    why do we want to not reveal our IP

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Revealing IP's could be dangerous if you think the mafia can use that to, say, try and track specials or other nefarious things.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    also, i observed that we could IP trace ourselves to learn the IP addresses of those we contacted, then wondered aloud if that would be dangerous to share with the thread

i will not have your revisionist history of my words

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Mafia revealing yourselves, or people who didn't pay attention to what they were reading?

• Options
    Well, if we can track who is talking to who, specials will be revealed as they do everything with pms, unless they want to make a proboard for every single person they talk to. Mafia have one proboard they need to talk on and they will hide that way. Keeping IPs hidden is the best thing for our village.

• Options
    Well, if we can track who is talking to who, specials will be revealed as they do everything with pms, unless they want to make a proboard for every single person they talk to. Mafia have one proboard they need to talk on and they will hide that way. Keeping IPs hidden is the best thing for our village.

I can guarantee you that if we do this tonight no specials are networked and PMing each other yet

• Options
    Like there are probably good arguments to be made for why we shouldn't do something like this tonight but revealing specials isn't one of them

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    It is not so much revealing specials today as much as revealing specials later, I think.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    It is not so much revealing specials today as much as revealing specials later, I think.

All the more reason we need to do something today.

I would happily put our plans in the hands of @Phyphor, games like this are made to be solved by him

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I sincerely doubt MrT didn't think of that kind of plan when designing the mechanics. No way do we break his game like that in a single day.
    Counterpoint: that zelda game he spent so much time matlab modeling

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    I sincerely doubt MrT didn't think of that kind of plan when designing the mechanics. No way do we break his game like that in a single day.

That is a very good point...

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I feel like without knowing what "contact" actually means we're just asking to run into trouble if we go telling our IPs to people.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

That is a very good point...

No plan survives contact with the langly

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Here's another option: Everyone change your access code tonight. Play defensively until we get more reads.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Here's another option: Everyone change your access code tonight. Play defensively until we get more reads.
    Vote -> Malicious Account Edits -> Valid Account Edits -> Information retrieval

Changing access code on night one is kinda pointless

• Options
    Not according to vanillager pm

Steam
  • Options
    I'm just worried about being to generous with information when it says right in the op that this game could be over in 1-2 days

Steam
  • Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    Vote -> Malicious Account Edits -> Valid Account Edits -> Information retrieval

Changing access code on night one is kinda pointless

I'm tempted to agree. With the order of operations, the only thing you'd stop is the mafia using a character that they started with. In order for that to happen, you'd need to correctly guess whichever character they WEREN'T hacking tonight.

• Options
    Not according to vanillager pm

Its why I said "kinda" pointless.

Unless people are sharing their initial codes with everyone else, I don't see much point in changing codes on day one compared to tracing or decrypting.

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Why are we thinking that the mafia weren't supplied with data the way vanillagers were, just in larger quantities?

Because if that's the case, then changing a character is pretty significant, if you change one the mafia began the game with?

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    but changing a character doesn't happen until AFTER malicious account editing, which includes deleting and the like.

• Options
    Although, if everyone in the village consistently changed a character every night, by the end of a couple nights we might deny the mafia enough information to make it really hard on them

that is assuming they don't have a power that just outright gets a person's complete passcode

• Options
    Sure, yeah, you can't prevent the mafia from day-1ing you. But you can prevent them from day-2ing you. Which seems nice.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Everyone should absolutely pm every player and then trace themselves.

• Options
    To trace we have to submit our own ip address first, to then get the IPs of who contacted us first. Decrypt is only useful with coordination, and there are not five people I trust.

However, everyone's access code info is out there, and while you cannot prevent your own death from mafia tonight if they know it, you will protect yourself in future nights.

Steam
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    you can trust me, zombie hero. I suck at lying.

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    Everyone should absolutely pm every player and then trace themselves.

This has to assume some coordination tomorrow; the IP numbers are useless by themselves. What such coordination do you propose to justify this action?

• Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    I'm just worried about being to generous with information when it says right in the op that this game could be over in 1-2 days

It also points out that the game could go 9 days or so given other circumstances.

The really interesting thing about the OP (to me at least) is that number implies that there aren't any true vigs. Aside from the vote and a potential mafia kill (they might be reliant on our login info/ IP address), we may not be able to kill anyone without login information.

The IP track is a powerful tool, potentially. From what I can tell, it's our best weapon to find the mafia, a sort of mass seering that requires the village to work together to get some benefit. Of the various ideas, I like Phyphor's the best so far:
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Okay, hopefully the mafia have now created their proboard. And presumably posting on said proboard counts as contacting it, and so that IP should show up in the lists

We need a few people to PM everyone and then trace their IP tonight, that should give us the list of IPs in the game for players. We then start tracing people using $SOME_ASSIGNMENT_ALGORITHM and see if any different IPs show up. Mafia found?

Ideally we would all claim IPs publicly, but that might lead to other issues. We probably have Feds in here that can trace IPs and arrest people based on that

I think the best way to go about is to randomly pair up. Either using the sign-ups or RNG. Each member of the pair IP traces on the other. We have each of them PM a specific amount of people and share who those are. Day 2, we can let the pairs either continue IP tracing the addresses they've found, change their access code or come up with a new idea based on narration.

At the very least, that starts forcing the mafia to make claims, get involved in tracing and helps villagers who are together start building some trust. In a game that may or may not have a true hard-network, that's the foundation for success.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    if one person PMed literally everyone in the game, and "contact" included PMs, wouldn't that make everyone's IP traces give them every IP in the game?

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)