As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Private [chat]

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    I should do my homework.

Doing my homework right now, get on my level!

Good god, 26 and I have homework. No wonder I don't feel old.

I'm not at home and this is more a project than homework.

but still, I should do it.

This is finals week.

And by finals week, I mean we get a 1 day in class review of the entire semester.

God I hate summer semesters. Gotta do it otherwise I don't get the sweet GI Bill money.

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    the part that's creepy isn't so much the part about allowing for charges to be filed in such a case

it's that MRA dudes literally believe women are actually trying to steal their seed for child support money

when in reality its because they're baby crazy?

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Also, Mens Rights.

In America.

How fucking shitty spoiled do you have to be...

I agree with men's rights in theory but not in practice.

I think all gender norms should be abolished, for men and for women.

Men's rights in practice is just thinly veiled sexism.

i agree, it's a shame because there are actually areas where mens rights need to be adressed, child custody in the UK is fucked for example, there is a blanket policy of giving kids to the mother regardless of whether she is the most suitable guardian or not

paternity leave is also a problem

but yeah, mens rights as it stands is just lala land

Casual on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Casual wrote: »
    So I went on the Mens Rights Subreddit and saw this jewel of a post:

Is it considered rape if a woman lies about being on birth control?

Excuwhatthefuck?

That place is comedic gold.

Well, assuming the woman in question lied to you, you technically did not consent to the sex as it occurred. So I can see the round about logic for it.

Which is why one wears a rubber regardless of what the girl says. Also because of STDs.

Also, you accept the fact that even birth control is not 100% effective, and that any sex may result in pregnancy, as is fairly common knowledge.

I will just say that lying about being on birth control makes you a shitty human being.

that is more or less the crux of it

unless we get into a few certain extreme situations lying to somoene to get them in the sack makes you a sleazebag not a rapist

This dude was convicted of sexual assault for consensual sex with tampered condoms:

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/canada-court-consensual-sex-sex-assault-if-you-tamper-with-the-condom/

I think it'd be easy to infer from that that a woman lying about birth control also qualifies as assault, at least in Canada.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

Excuwhatthefuck?

What the actual fuck.

Apparently if a woman says she's on birth control and this guy proceeds with the live making, criminal charges of rape should be filed.

At least in the mind of these sick fucks.

Others suggest fraud. Defrauding the vag?

Yeah, that place is just full of geniuses.

I liked the part where you went from "these guys are misguided and it's pretty funny" to "these guys are sick fucks"

No, I find them hilaribad, like an extreme villain in a SyFy original or a bad guy made by Rob Liefeld that has like super invulnerability and a dog that eats force fields.

They are sick fucks, but I can't help but laugh at them.

• Options
    edited July 2013

Excuwhatthefuck?

Well, assuming the woman in question lied to you, you technically did not consent to the sex as it occurred. So I can see the round about logic for it.

Which is why one wears a rubber regardless of what the girl says. Also because of STDs.

Also, you accept the fact that even birth control is not 100% effective, and that any sex may result in pregnancy, as is fairly common knowledge.

I will just say that lying about being on birth control makes you a shitty human being.

unless we get into a few certain extreme situations lying to somoene to get them in the sack makes you a sleazebag not a rapist

This dude was convicted of sexual assault for consensual sex with tampered condoms:

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/canada-court-consensual-sex-sex-assault-if-you-tamper-with-the-condom/

I think it'd be easy to infer from that that a woman lying about birth control also qualifies as assault, at least in Canada.

it's a tricky one

if you're tampering with condoms that means you've given the impression that you're having safe sex when actually you could be giving someone an STD

if a girl tells you shes on the pill and she isn't you should already have accepted that you're running the risk of pregnancy because the pills aren't 100% effective, and you should already know the pill does jack to protect you from STD's so if you get one that's on you

so for me the condom tampering is more about the possibility of STD infection which in many places knowingly giving someone an STD is assault

Casual on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Also, Mens Rights.

In America.

The thing is, this is a position you never have to take and associate with Men's Rights. You can just say, "I wish gender relations weren't skewed in any direction" without acting like men need civil rights activist to get their voices heard.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Reading comprehension, never mind.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Depends on the STD and where its located.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Good afternight, buttmeisters

• Options
    I think that lying about being on birth control or tampering with birth control would be commonly recognized as a crime if it was easier to prove these things occurred, and that the pregnancies weren't just flukes.

But doing this to a woman would also inevitably be seen as worse than doing this to a man, barring the presence of STDs, because a forced pregnancy is a more apparent physical violation than anything a man would experience from a woman knocking herself up with his sperm.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the irony is that is paternity leave and custody bias in the woman's favor are feminist issues

it's not "men can't raise children" it's "women should obviously raise children because they're women and that's what women do"

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Also, Mens Rights.

In America.

The thing is, this is a position you never have to take and associate with Men's Rights. You can just say, "I wish gender relations weren't skewed in any direction" without acting like men need civil rights activist to get their voices heard.

in some cases they do

look up "fathers for justice" in the UK

now yes, of course the argument can be made that men made the shitty laws regarding child custody because of their own patriarchical views, but that doesnt change the fact the law is still like that, it discriminates against men and it's proving hella difficult to change

Casual on
  • Options

Excuwhatthefuck?

it's a tricky one

if you're tampering with condoms that means you've given the impression that you're having safe sex when actually you could be giving someone an STD

if a girl tells you shes on the pill and she isn't you should already have accepted that you're running the risk of pregnancy because the pills aren't 100% effective, and you should already know the pill does jack to protect you from STD's so if you get one that's on you

so for me the condom tampering is more about the possibility of STD infection which in many places knowingly giving someone an STD is assault

But if the guy doesn't have any STDs, and he knows this, then the two acts are equivalent.

• Options

i would be pretty pissed off if i was given even a minor STD intentionally

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Also, Mens Rights.

In America.

in some cases they do

look up "fathers for jusitce" in the UK

now yes, of course the argument can be made that men made the shitty laws regarding child custody because of their own patriarchical views, but that doesnt change the fact the law is still like that, it discriminates against men and it's proving hella difficult to change

Right, but I think the argument would be made that the amount of media coverage this has received speaks to my point about their voices not being heard.

• Options

No doubt. Its a pretty high level of disrespect.

• Options

Excuwhatthefuck?

it's a tricky one

But if the guy doesn't have any STDs, and he knows this, then the two acts are equivalent.

but the woman (or man on the recieving end) doesn't know that, and they do have a right to give conditional consent

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Anyone making this argument is a total moron though.

The monolithic grouping of "men" is just as stupid as that of "women".

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options

It's too bad there aren't any fun STDs that you might discover and consider a pleasant surprise.

"Oh boy, I contracted penile gigantism!"

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    how come there's no discussion about The World's End?

• Options
    Also, Mens Rights.

In America.

in some cases they do

Right, but I think the argument would be made that the amount of media coverage this has received speaks to my point about their voices not being heard.

Erm

the dude literally had to climb onto the roof of buckingham palace and chain himself there to get his voice heard

before that, no fucker was interested

they have not had their voices heard simply by virtute of male privilage

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2013

overlyattachedgirlfriend.jpg

"Sharing an STD with your boyfriend will create a bond between the both of you as you suffer that telltale burning sensation together."

emnmnme on
  • Options

No doubt. Its a pretty high level of disrespect.

point being i would consider it assualt

the law may not be with me on this though

i know knowingly infecting someone with AIDS is a crime but i dont know about herpes or the clap

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »

<- just made this argument

• Options

Excuwhatthefuck?

it's a tricky one

but the woman (or man on the recieving end) doesn't know that, and they do have a right to give conditional consent

But the man who thinks the woman is on the pill when she isn't is also giving conditional consent.

If there is an actual STD present, then I can see how tampering with condoms would be considered worse than throwing out your pills, but if it's about consent then the two are equivalent in my eyes.

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »

awwwwkward.....

>.>

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    playing a game Omerta where you're making deals selling/buying liquor, beer, and guns

made 2 deals with a rabbi and each time he refused to pay the agreed price. no other character has done that.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    a jew being untrustworthy why i never

• Options
    Also, Mens Rights.

In America.

in some cases they do

Erm

the dude literally had to climb onto the roof of buckingham palace and chain himself there to get his voice heard

Okay, but but I think if you compare the hoops that other groups have had to jump through to get their issue talked about, this guy probably hasn't faced as much adversity as other groups. Again, not saying it's legitimate and it's all come easy, but just because he had to do something drastic doesn't rule out privilege.

• Options
    but it's not about a monolithic group of men vs. women or whatever

it's about enforcement of traditional gender roles, by men and women

which is kinda in feminism's wheelhouse

• Options

Excuwhatthefuck?

it's a tricky one

But the man who thinks the woman is on the pill when she isn't is also giving conditional consent.

If there is an actual STD present, then I can see how tampering with condoms would be considered worse than throwing out your pills, but if it's about consent then the two are equivalent in my eyes.

i'm wording this very poorly but in my view the risk of pregnancy and risk of STD's are two different things

when you have sex you always accept the risk of pregnancy, apart from getting the womans tubes tied, no BC is fool proof, so we've kind of accepted the principle that if you have sex no matter what pregnancy is a consequence you signed up for

STD's on the otherhand you mostly can't tell when a person has one, if a person cliams to be wearing a condom and really isn't that is assult, they've exposed you to a risk you didn't sign up for

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Tav wrote: »

Not out in the US for another month. I've seen it, and talked a bit about it. It's great.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    playing a game Omerta where you're making deals selling/buying liquor, beer, and guns

made 2 deals with a rabbi and each time he refused to pay the agreed price. no other character has done that.

Wait, what?
    Is this the steam game?
    I thought it was an FPS.
    Is it good?

• Options
    Also, Mens Rights.

In America.

in some cases they do

Erm

Okay, but but I think if you compare the hoops that other groups have had to jump through to get their issue talked about, this guy probably hasn't faced as much adversity as other groups. Again, not saying it's legitimate and it's all come easy, but just because he had to do something drastic doesn't rule out privilege.

actually it kind of does

privilege implies the necessity for drastic action isn't there

clearly it was

it should also be noticed that drastic action didn't work, the law didn't change and the issue is largely gone from public consciousness

so his male privilege did exactly squat for him

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »

Not out in the US for another month. I've seen it, and talked a bit about it. It's great.

it was definitely a lot weirder than i was expecting. At the end I was glad that I knew NOTHING about it going in

not even the premise

definitely made things a lot better

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The converse is actually totally applicable and not at all moronic.

It's the stupid "guilt by association" accusation of "well, you shouldn't have made these laws to begin with, man" that's idiotic. Mysteriously, most people - male or female - do not get a say in the specifics of laws made regarding their 'gender rights'.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Woot, seeing Pacific Rim tomorrow.

• Options
    Woot, seeing Pacific Rim tomorrow.

brace yourself your some ozzie steriotypes

This discussion has been closed.