As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Cool Stuff From [History] Thread

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    PleaCDX.jpg

Second Lieutenant Marinos Mitralexis was a Greek fighter pilot in WWII. During the war, the Mussolini was eager to prove the mettle of Italian troops. Oh and to grab land. So Italy invaded Greece on October 28th . The Italian Air Force allocated 463 planes to this invasion. The Greeks had 77 planes in their force. Five days after the invasion, the Italians sent 15 bombers and 14 fighters to attack the airfield at Thessaloniki. Mitralexis was assigned to the 22nd Pursuit Squadron at Thessaloniki, which was scrambled to stop the bombers. The two groups met up in the air, and the Italians found themselves in engaged in a furious dogfight. Three Italian CANT Z.1007 bombers were shot down, one of them by Mitralexis. He damaged another but the Italian forces finding they had taken extensive damage turned around. Also the Greeks scared the shit out of them. But Mitralexis pursued one of the damaged bombers, firing on it till he ran out of ammo.

Now if Mitralexis was the kind of guy to let something like being out of ammo stop him, I wouldn't be writing about him. He matched up speed with the damaged bomber and began to clip it's tail with his propeller. And bits of the tail started coming away. Now a number of pilots used a similar technique of using their props as a weapon. It's very important while doing this not to crash into the other plane, just give it a shave. What makes Marinos different is he followed the damaged bomber down, landed next to it, got out of his PZL P.24, pulled his service pistol and took the crew of the bomber prisoner and walked them back to the air base at Thessaloniki.

The Greeks did a pretty good job of beating up on the Italians up until the point where Germany entered the theater. Lt Mitralexis was among those Greek airmen who managed to get out ahead of the German forces. From there he joined up with the British and shot down five more plans during his military career. For his actions of November 2nd, he was awarded the Gold Cross of Valour.
    GQUZUz9.jpg
    PZL P.24 in with the Greek Air Force colors.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    In the 1940s, Sam B. Williams was a mild mannered engineer working for Chrysler. He helped design their first automotive gas turbine engine. Feeling that there were other direction he could take the technology, he started his own company in 1954. Then, in the '70s, he made this:

http://youtu.be/wHJBvtr0H-E

The video is somewhat crappy, but what you are looking at is the Williams Aerial Systems Platform, a personal turbofan flying machine and proof that Dr. Sam was one secret volcano base away from being a real-life Bond villain. The WASP had a top speed of 60 MPH, a ceiling of 10,000 ft and only two controls, throttle and yaw. All other steering was handled by leaning in the direction you wanted to go. Williams built the WASP with private funds, then took it to the military. Unfortunately, the half-hour running time was too short for the military's liking, and the project was not adopted. That did not spell the end for the WASP, however...or at least not all of it. The revolutionary small turbofan engine that Williams invented for the WASP would make possible the modern cruise missile and go into production as the power plant for the Tomahawk.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Props to the test pilots who actually flew that death machine.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Those things I fought in MGS3 actually existed? They weren't just drawings on a blueprint?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    ...it looks like a Dalek in some of those shots.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    Props to the test pilots who actually flew that death machine.

It looks like something the Empire from Star Wars would design.

Notice the lack of a safety railing behind the pilot.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Someone's never had broccoli with cheese and bacon....

Or properly cooked with butter and oil and other veggies until it is soft and delicious

Broccoli tries to warn us its deadly with its terrible taste and bright green color

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Oh man, that thing needs to be brought back, optimized, and put to some use. I don't care what use, it's too cool to not exist.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    So this isn't historical, but I am currently in the private bar of the Yeomen Guard of the Tower of London getting drunk with said beefeaters

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Gin, I assume?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Kalkino wrote: »
    So this isn't historical, but I am currently in the private bar of the Yeomen Guard of the Tower of London getting drunk with said beefeaters

What do beefeaters stock in their bar? I'm guessing gin and scotch.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Probably some beef in there too.

• Options

Not anymore, but I hear they have a fabulous cider made from apples...well...mostly apples.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Well, you can only make cider out of apples, so it seems a bit redundant.

If you're using pears, it's perry.

Anything else is a filthy lie.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Well, the bar is a bit limited in selection, three lagers and a bitter, then the usual spirits. The gin was of course Beefeater's. So I had a Beefeater serve me a Beefeater's in the Beefeater's bar. My life has peaked.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Beefeater^3

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

If it's 3PM and you don't have a Hitler head, go fuck yourself.

(At least, that's how I interpret that guys facial expression)

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I wonder what he did with that when he was done smiling for the camera.

488W936.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    I wonder what he did with that when he was done smiling for the camera.

Considering his expression, no, you don't.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Depends. Is it hollow?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

The beef is for the ravens.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Rhan9 wrote: »

...This is just plausible enough to be true. Dammit.

*googles*

EDIT: No shit, it's actually a thing. How about that.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

*googles*

Yeah, those two are the only real varieties. You should try out some old-school cloudy cider and perry from Wales or West of England(scrumpies, as they're called). Good stuff.

Incidentally, cider is made thus:
    0hGiv7Sl.jpg

Bags of apples are pressed for the juice, left to ferment, and then you drink it and achieve Applevana.

After beer, cider is also the oldest man-made beverage in Britain. The Romans observed Britons fermenting crabapples for a type of cider, and later when the Normans conquered Britain, more varieties of apples came to use. Historically, day laborers in parts of England were also paid a part of their wage in cider, like the Ancient Egyptians paid part of the laborers wages in beer.

Rhan9 on
  • Options

*googles*

Bags of apples are pressed for the juice, left to ferment, and then you drink it and achieve Applevana.

You forgot the best part...mostly apples...

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

*googles*

You forgot the best part...mostly apples...

I got drunk, how do ya like dem apples?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    I would post the Stewart Lee bit about pear cider but that would be dragging this thread a bit off-topic.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    In the late 1700's and early 1800's the US Army had a daily whiskey ration of 2 oz. It was given out in battalion formation with an officer following the dispensing sergeant to ensure the solider drank the ration on the spot and did not try to hoard it in a cup with a false bottom or by pouring it down their musket barrel. If a solider chose, they could decline the ration by having their cup inverted and the cost of the ration would be added to their next pay. Double rations could be ordered at the discretion of the commanding officer, usually for hard work, or almost always during the 4th of July celebration. It was generally stopped in 1832.

The US Navy rum ration was given at noon every day until 1862.

The British Navy rum ration was given every day at noon until July 31st 1970. I had a biology teacher in high school that was in the US Navy at the time and they were docked with some Royal Naval ships in Australia on July 31st. He said his crew watched as the British ships held full naval funerals for their last kegs of rum in full dress uniforms with a gun salute. The crew of his ship quickly formed up and saluted along with the Brits when the kegs went overboard.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    In the late 1700's and early 1800's the US Army had a daily whiskey ration of 2 oz. It was given out in battalion formation with an officer following the dispensing sergeant to ensure the solider drank the ration on the spot and did not try to hoard it in a cup with a false bottom or by pouring it down their musket barrel. If a solider chose, they could decline the ration by having their cup inverted and the cost of the ration would be added to their next pay. Double rations could be ordered at the discretion of the commanding officer, usually for hard work, or almost always during the 4th of July celebration. It was generally stopped in 1832.

The US Navy rum ration was given at noon every day until 1862.

The British Navy rum ration was given every day at noon until July 31st 1970. I had a biology teacher in high school that was in the US Navy at the time and they were docked with some Royal Naval ships in Australia on July 31st. He said his crew watched as the British ships held full naval funerals for their last kegs of rum in full dress uniforms with a gun salute. The crew of his ship quickly formed up and saluted along with the Brits when the kegs went overboard.

Having known a couple of R.N. persons, I would be astonished if those kegs had been given unto the corruption with more than a token tot in them.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    ku-xlarge.jpg

The first use of "fuck" in the modern format.

Appropriately, it comes from a monk bitching about the abbot he was under.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    That's incredible on so many levels.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    That's incredible on so many levels.

Indeed.

Fuckin A.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Historically accurate recreation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c9mlOrDhc4

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    ku-xlarge.jpg

The first use of "fuck" in the modern format.

Appropriately, it comes from a monk bitching about the abbot he was under.

The Monk was probably just annoyed that Abbot never saw Frankenstein

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I went out to a Civil War camp site and found this:

1797521_10152159726208279_871199988_n.jpg

It's a Staff Officer's Button from a New York Regiment. Thanks to the location and generally decent records of troop movements, I hope to be able to find out exactly when it was dropped.

It still has about 90% of the gilt on it which is pretty unusual.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Not sure if i's been mentioned before but do people know the story of the time the Austrian army unintentionally fought a battle against itself over booze and decimated itself? Well this is the story of the Battle of Karánsebes
    See it was 1788 and Austria was yet again at war with the Turks. Austria had an army of 100000 troops drawn from all over its Empire in its army. Now this will turn out to be important because these troops did not share the same language and this would come back to bite them.

Now some Austrian cavalry was on patrol late one night/early one morning, when they came across some gypsies, who offered to sell them some booze, the cavalry patrol proceeded to get roaringly drunk. Soon some infantry appeared on the scene and demanded to share the booze, however like any attempt to take booze from a drunk person this ended badly as the cavalry told the infantry to fuck off. So some scuffles broke out over got the booze and someone fired a shot.

Hell broke out and both 'sides' started firing wildly at each other. Reinforcements rushed to the 'battle', and one of the infantry decided to yell out "Turci! Turci!" ("Turks! Turks!") for some bizzarre reason (possibly to scare off the calvalry). Now the infantry was comprised of the aforementioned people from across the Empire who didn't share the same language and also didn't care much to defend it, however they could understand someone was shouting out Turks. So the infantry ran from the apparently approaching Turks (who were actually days away) because fuck fighting the Turkish army.

Meanwhile an artillery commander had spotted the ruckus and decided that his cannons were needed to shell the masses of 'enemy' in front of him. These cannons woke up the main Austrian army in their camp, who thought the Turks were attacking the camp.

The newly awake soldiers collectively shat themselves and fled as fast as they could, only taking time to shoot at any shadow and movement they saw. This wasn't helped by further language issues when some officers trying to stop the rout yelled 'Halt', which somehow got mistaken for Turks yelling 'Allah!', further making the Austrian army troops think the Turks were attacking the camp

At one point during the retreat the Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II was pushed off his horse into a small creek. Probably so some soldier could steal his horse and run away faster, either that or just to add further indiginity to this whole event.

2 days later the Turks arrived only to find 10,000 dead bodies. Needless to say they were thoroughly confused as to how this had happened as they knew they hadn't done it!

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »
    Not sure if i's been mentioned before but do people know the story of the time the Austrian army unintentionally fought a battle against itself over booze and decimated itself? Well this is the story of the Battle of Karánsebes
    See it was 1788 and Austria was yet again at war with the Turks. Austria had an army of 100000 troops drawn from all over its Empire in its army. Now this will turn out to be important because these troops did not share the same language and this would come back to bite them.

Now some Austrian cavalry was on patrol late one night/early one morning, when they came across some gypsies, who offered to sell them some booze, the cavalry patrol proceeded to get roaringly drunk. Soon some infantry appeared on the scene and demanded to share the booze, however like any attempt to take booze from a drunk person this ended badly as the cavalry told the infantry to fuck off. So some scuffles broke out over got the booze and someone fired a shot.

Hell broke out and both 'sides' started firing wildly at each other. Reinforcements rushed to the 'battle', and one of the infantry decided to yell out "Turci! Turci!" ("Turks! Turks!") for some bizzarre reason (possibly to scare off the calvalry). Now the infantry was comprised of the aforementioned people from across the Empire who didn't share the same language and also didn't care much to defend it, however they could understand someone was shouting out Turks. So the infantry ran from the apparently approaching Turks (who were actually days away) because fuck fighting the Turkish army.

Meanwhile an artillery commander had spotted the ruckus and decided that his cannons were needed to shell the masses of 'enemy' in front of him. These cannons woke up the main Austrian army in their camp, who thought the Turks were attacking the camp.

The newly awake soldiers collectively shat themselves and fled as fast as they could, only taking time to shoot at any shadow and movement they saw. This wasn't helped by further language issues when some officers trying to stop the rout yelled 'Halt', which somehow got mistaken for Turks yelling 'Allah!', further making the Austrian army troops think the Turks were attacking the camp

At one point during the retreat the Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II was pushed off his horse into a small creek. Probably so some soldier could steal his horse and run away faster, either that or just to add further indiginity to this whole event.

2 days later the Turks arrived only to find 10,000 dead bodies. Needless to say they were thoroughly confused as to how this had happened as they knew they hadn't done it!

This is likely to be myth. The major sources for it don't appear till 50+ years afterwards and there isn't any supporting evidence.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Xaquin wrote: »

It's a Staff Officer's Button from a New York Regiment. Thanks to the location and generally decent records of troop movements, I hope to be able to find out exactly when it was dropped.

I don't know why, but the tooth marks* are striking me as incredibly odd. I've no idea when they started using evenly spaced teeth on tools though.

*the straight, evenly spaced areas where the gilt has worn look like the marks that a pair of pliers' teeth make on pretty much anything they touch if you squeeze too hard (or even slightly on loose material)

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

I don't know why, but the tooth marks* are striking me as incredibly odd. I've no idea when they started using evenly spaced teeth on tools though.

*the straight, evenly spaced areas where the gilt has worn look like the marks that a pair of pliers' teeth make on pretty much anything they touch if you squeeze too hard (or even slightly on loose material)

that's a good question.

I have no idea lol

however, here is a button I found from a Royal Navy Captain (or Commander) coat dropped on April 6th 1781 (which I know because that's the only time the British raided the place that I found it)

288524_10150358086153279_267449732_o.jpg

There is still a tiny bit of gilt on the inlay

note the tooth marks =)

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

that's a good question.

I have no idea lol

however, here is a button I found from a Royal Navy Captain (or Commander) coat dropped on April 6th 1781 (which I know because that's the only time the British raided the place that I found it)

288524_10150358086153279_267449732_o.jpg

There is still a tiny bit of gilt on the inlay

note the tooth marks =)

Hrm. It might be from the casting process then, and not from a tool. If it's in the recessed part it's unlikely to be from some sort of hand tool. I don't know enough about the process during that time to say for sure though.

This discussion has been closed.