As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cloudface! [2D hand-drawn platformer]

TubeTube Registered User admin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLJ6Ba9_up4

ss1.gif

Cloudface: 100% Guaranteed Game is a hand-animated 2D platformer with graphics and humour inspired by games like Earthworm Jim & Warioland: Shake-It!. You control a cheerful business-cloud on a quest to save his important documents. Use weather-based powerups & manipulate enemy abilities to solve puzzles.

The game is being made in Unity!

We're looking for feedback, help us improve this game! As expected, everything in this build is super rough!

Web (Requires the Unity player)

Windows

@barley
is the programming. ( Unity )

@calum is the soundtrack.

@siskavard(me) is the artwork / animation.

We're on IndieDB!

24024.png

• Options
    I would tentatively suggest not having a voiced soundtrack throughout, that's going to get tedious really quickly. There's a reason why people don't tend to do that.

• Options
    siskavardsiskavard Animator Vancouver BCRegistered User regular
    We just updated the alpha:

Web (Requires the Unity player)

Windows

Bug fixes, final music and... butterflies!
    Tube wrote: »
    I would tentatively suggest not having a voiced soundtrack throughout, that's going to get tedious really quickly. There's a reason why people don't tend to do that.

Thanks for the feedback. This is something we're mindful of & once we get into it, we're going to experiment with having the vocals maybe drop out and back in depending on what part of the level you're at, etc.

I personally love the idea of lyrics in game music & want to see more of it. It certainly worked for Katamari Damacy!

• Options
    LordMcMuttonLordMcMutton That farmhouse... There.Registered User new member
    I think the vocal track is quite nice, though it'd be cool if limited to the first level. It could act as a sort of intro sequence.

I also noticed that the controls were a bit floaty, before realizing that it's pretty obvious why. Makes the hovering useful, as well.

~Key of Ethios~
    -Facebook
    -IndieDB
  • Options
    @siskavard, that's true, it did! And what's the point in making your own game if you can't put a spin on it and try something new?

• Options
    I think the vocal track is quite nice, though it'd be cool if limited to the first level. It could act as a sort of intro sequence.

I also noticed that the controls were a bit floaty, before realizing that it's pretty obvious why. Makes the hovering useful, as well.

Thanks for playing it!! We're still working on the controls. They need to be perfect for a platformer. We want a lot of the gameplay to center around the hovering, where you have items that extend or decrease hover time, stuff of that sort! Still figuring all of that out.

Tube wrote: »
    what's the point in making your own game if you can't put a spin on it and try something new?

That's the goal! It's that fine line between just copying art you love and elevating it to another level.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Just tried this out. The proximity detection on the cat things seemed kinda wonky, they would explode if I walked underneath them sometimes. I also gotta agree with tube about the lyrics, I would suggest keeping them to a minimum. The animation is quite nice, but cloud dude seems to be missing his stand up animation. He transitions into the crouch, but just kinda pops out of it instantly, kinda stood out amongst all the other nice stuff. The jumping and floating stuff controls quite well imo, you got the makings of a good platformer here. I'm looking forward to seeing what other gameplay elements you'll throw in.

• Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    Dudes I just checked out the trailer I don't think I've ever seen something so jovial in my life, save for my own face on prom night. What georgous art. I love the voiced soundtrack, I love the platforming, I love the soundtrack, I want this on my iPhone right now so I can be the jackass laughing to himself on a bus while he plays with headphones. More please!

This is one of those games where feedback is nice, but it's so creative and jovial and appealing that I'd say keep doing whatever it is YOU think you should be doing, because by god this is a charmer.

• Options
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    Just tried this out. The proximity detection on the cat things seemed kinda wonky, they would explode if I walked underneath them sometimes. I also gotta agree with tube about the lyrics, I would suggest keeping them to a minimum. The animation is quite nice, but cloud dude seems to be missing his stand up animation. He transitions into the crouch, but just kinda pops out of it instantly, kinda stood out amongst all the other nice stuff. The jumping and floating stuff controls quite well imo, you got the makings of a good platformer here. I'm looking forward to seeing what other gameplay elements you'll throw in.

The proximity detection was improved on the next build, they don't come after you unless they can see you etc. Thanks for the feedback about the standing up animation, this is something I can definitely put in, we just want to make sure the animation doesn't hinder the movement in any way. Thanks for all of the feedback!

ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    Dudes I just checked out the trailer I don't think I've ever seen something so jovial in my life, save for my own face on prom night. What georgous art. I love the voiced soundtrack, I love the platforming, I love the soundtrack, I want this on my iPhone right now so I can be the jackass laughing to himself on a bus while he plays with headphones. More please!

This is one of those games where feedback is nice, but it's so creative and jovial and appealing that I'd say keep doing whatever it is YOU think you should be doing, because by god this is a charmer.

Haha, thanks! We're always open to feedback, but yes, if I have a gut instinct on any of the artwork & animation, I usually just go for it :D