As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON!] BattleCON: Devastation of Indines

1202122232426»

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    And we're back.

Beat 5:

Ante: Gerard buys a Bookie for 3 gold.

Reveal:

Gerard reveals Hooked Shot.
    Hooked: +2~3 Range, +1 Power, -1 Priority.
    Start of Beat: Retreat as far as possible.
    On Damage: Pull the opponent up to 1 space for each point of damage dealt.

Shot: 1~4 Range, 3 Power, 2 Priority.
    Stun Guard 2.

Total: 3~7 Range, 4 Power, 1 Priority.

Marmelee reveals Sorceress Shot.
    Sorceress: +0 Range, +0 Power, -1 Priority.
    Before Activating: You may spend a CC to give this attack +0~2 Range.
    End of Beat: You may spend a CC to move 1 space.

Shot: 1~4 Range, 3 Power, 2 Priority.
    Stun Guard 2.

Total: 1~4 Range, 3 Power, 1 Priority.

Clash! Deal with it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Fighting shall resume momentarily. Holidays always body the shit out of me due to working in retail.

In a related note, if you havn't been following the Go7Gaming kickstarter, they just announced yesterday that they're adding in a line of BattleCON storage options. They've got a insert that goes into the Devastation box that'll store everything from it plus Extended Edition. Won't fit War in there, though.

That's what the case and chest are for.

Saw that, but my storage solution works just fine (see a few posts up).

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Clash 1:

Gerard reveals Hooked ShotStrike.
    Hooked: +2~3 Range, +1 Power, -1 Priority.
    Start of Beat: Retreat as far as possible.
    On Damage: Pull the opponent up to 1 space for each point of damage dealt.

Strike: 1 Range, 4 Power, 3 Priority.
    Stun Guard 5.

Total: 3~4 Range, 5 Power, 2 Priority.

Marmelee reveals Sorceress Shot Dash.
    Sorceress: +0 Range, +0 Power, -1 Priority.
    Before Activating: You may spend a CC to give this attack +0~2 Range.
    End of Beat: You may spend a CC to move 1 space.

Dash: N/A Range, N/A Power, Priority 9.
    This attack does not hit or deal damage.
    After activating: Move 1, 2, or 3 spaces. If you changed sides with an opponent during this movement, that opponent cannot hit you during this beat.

Total: N/A Range, N/A Power, 8 Priority.

Marmelee is the Active Player, Gerard is the Reactive Player.

Start of Beat: Gerard retreats as far as possible.

<G> < > < > < > < > < > <M>

Active Player's Attack:
    Dash.
    After Activating: Marmelee moves 1-3 spaces.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Shit, going all the way.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Not that anybody in this thread needs it, but my column on Devastation went live today.

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Can anyone tell me how to use the hunter character effectively? I can't figure out how not to get obliterated by anyone with decent ranged moves

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    No idea who the hunter would be. Whats the characters name?

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I think he means Joal. I would look back at Bedlam's and my game. I think I played a fantastic Joal.

• Options
    KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
    I spent today reading this thread because work was slooooooow and a friend was curious about Devastation so I ordered it last week.

This game looks totally awesome. I am so excited to receive my copy :D

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Thread-o-mancing a bit to see if you guys can help me clarify some of the issues that are coming up as I try to teach the game to people now that I've picked up Devastation:

- Saturday I whipped out Cesar for the first time and the guaranteed stun turns were confusing. We played it as if whatever's on your cards without a trigger (On Hit, etc) works and things with triggers didn't. Some digging on BGG suggests that that's not quite right: Brad's on the record there stating that Start of Beat and End of Beat effects also go off. My opponent and I did pretty well with the rules as I understood them - he had Clinhyde, and used Phasing to dodge some of my stuff, while I shut down his deactivate-a-stim style twice, all on turns where someone was stunned - but that's definitely a thing I'll have to bear in mind for the future.
    - There's been some confusion on everyone's part about whether and how Stun Guard is cumulative. I've been having people play it as if you used the highest number on a base or a style, plus anything from outside your cards such as Eligor's tokens or Cesar's Threat Level modifiers. Is this correct, or is it just straight-up stacked? I feel like this came up in this thread at some point. Same question re: Soak, though I don't that even came up in the Alexian / Rexan match I had with a buddy on the Factory stage, which was pretty amusing. Realizing Rexan only had pulls halfway into the game was a surprise!
    - More of a general question - who's good to teach with? At this stage, despite the general recommendation of the complexity levels, I'm finding that Eligor and Karin are actually giving people some issues due to anticipation being built in to their kits and that Clinhyde is problematic as well. I'm thinking I may start substituting Rexan for Eligor, because "keep them near you, resist damage," is not quite so complicated even if the execution and decision-making can be. Other ideas?

• Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    Stun Guard is cumulative, add all the Stun Guard values together. Soak also stacks as well like Stun Guard.

Do you have Devastation only or do you have War as well?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Just Devastation at present. Remembered from this thread that some of the War guys seemed more straightforward, but until I order Remastered it's out of circulation around here.

E: I was beginning to suspect it was just flat-out cumulative as I did a read-through of some of the older fights, but other than Gerard that affects surprisingly few people who've come up in "hey, try this thing!" Games.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    Adjenna, Byron, Cesar, Ottavia, Oriana, and Runika have fairly straightforward kits you can use to teach.

Adjenna's value is in the fact that she's a good way to show the importance of range lest her UA kills the other player tout suite. Byron's a straightforward glass cannon keepaway fighter. Cesar's the Terminator and Ottavia's a standard fighter who really shines when you have a player who's decent at Priority counting/guessing their opponent. Oriana and Runika each are pretty good ways to show off resource juggling without being too overwhelming.

• Options
    If anyone needs Devastation still, CSI has it as a daily deal for half-off.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Picked up the Strikers kit today. It may make tag mode more appealing if I can get some more folks sold on BattleCON generally. Will see what I can come up with at the store tomorrow!

Some of these (notably Rexan) are really entertaining options to add.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Saw the pixel tactics deluxe kickstarter and since then I've been down the Indines rabbit hole. I ordered a bunch of stuff on New Year's Eve and there was a post that said they'd be back on January 2nd but there wasn't any shipping notification so I assume they got swamped during the holiday break. I read something about them sending out related promos when you order from their store but is that automatic or did I need to send a request in?

Trying to figure out the best way to make a cheap pnp off the demo stuff without any printer while I wait for things. Probably going to buy a bunch of index cards and writing on them.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    They're about to get swamped for shipping tomorrow again, due to Argent coming in.

Index cards are probably the best way.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Waiting on my War: Remaster to show up, myself, but yeah, use index cards and a couple sheets of paper and tokens of your choice, and it'll do.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Id pick up some card sleeves. You could get two colors for separating the bases/styles and it would look nicer.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Man this thing is a huge pain to sleeve.

I've been playing with Yaronvia's Battlecon AI app to get a feel for the game (I have like a 10% win rate at best). Ran into some Shekhtur bugs and since it looks like he hasn't been updating it recently, I took it upon myself to make the fixes.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    So, is anyone who still checks this thread a member of Level99s playtesting? Have you tried the, uh, Super Secret BattleCON game? I'm just curious to hear (in PMs, I guess) what anyone whose tried it thought of it. Was wondering if it was worth printing out in its current version.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Can't say that I have.

Although one of the changes that's coming in War is interesting. The start spaces for two-player games are moving up one space apparently.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, hey, there's a Mardi Gras Kehrolyn alt costume up on BCOnline, for those who want more DLC.

And I'm hearing whispers that the KS for Millennium Blades is actually going to be launching late next month.

persona4celestia.jpg