As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

At least now we know what horse_ebooks was about. Sort of. [77 Days]

12345679»

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    So.... The Matrix is real?

I don't

What

Fuck it.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If the hefty amount of content is anything like the parts outside the paywall, I think I'm going to pass.

This is pretty much the most disappointing thing. It wasn't something awesome, and it wasn't just a troll. It was something that someone apparently thought was awesome, but is actually pretty lame, and that just makes me sort of embarrassed for them.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Its.. a game or something then?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Its.. a game or something then?

apparently yes.

Unless there's something more interesting underneath, which I guess more dedicated heads will need to delve into.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Guys, I think if we rally together and keep clicking these cows at seven bucks a pop it just has to get awesome eventually. Who's with me?

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    This Battlestar Galactica game is weird.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I don't think I get it, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to get it or not.

The production quality and acting seem like they're intentionally campy, but it's, like, not quite campy enough. Like someone's telling a joke and I'm just waiting for the punchline.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    The tone they're going for would be more appropriate for something animated, which would also allow them to work the bizarre angle a bit better. Also, it needs to be way less preachy. More allegory and sly reference, less five-minute treatise on what a credit default swap is.

Also, it needed to come out a few years ago.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Whelp.

PLA on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The tone they're going for would be more appropriate for something animated, which would also allow them to work the bizarre angle a bit better. Also, it needs to be way less preachy. More allegory and sly reference, less five-minute treatise on what a credit default swap is.

Also, it needed to come out a few years ago.

I suppose it would have been super relevant if it'd come out in 2009 when they started Pronunciation Book.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    I guess it was a fun ride, for a while? Its too bad this marketing team doesn't have a less shitty product to work with.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Ok, so I've done some marketing in my past. Never considered my projects successful if there wasn't a sustained user-base after initial push.

If this was a marketing test, I hope they were able to notice that I lasted about 5 minutes in and refused to go past the paywall. I don't even know whats on the other side of the registering and paying, and I don't care to find out.

What a waste. ARGs be boring once they stop with the mystery. Someone needs to fix that. *

*mark this post for when something cool and awesome happens associated with this junk

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    In fairness, there were lots of references to the financial sector & credit crisis throughout the ARG's life.

:/

I'm not going to lie: I wanted news of a new video game today. This just sucks.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    The fact that Horse Ebooks ties into this is amazing.

I didn't get my hopes up, so this bizarre thing is good enough. I'll hop the pay wall when I get home.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    This kind of marketing only really works on things people are already excited about; it generates focus on the announcement, not interest in the product. If the announcement, itself, isn't going to floor people, the buildup is a wasted effort and might even backfire.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    ...I can't even fathom why someone would waste years doing a build-up for... I don't even know what the Hell. I've seen better production values out of high school drama clubs. Even if it had been released when it was topical, it's just bad.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    It's a pretty damn terrible CYOA which tries, very poorly, to appropriate old-school visual novel tropes (the battle theme music, Evangelion-like computer effects in the OP, multiple-choice, PUT IT IN behind the paywall...)

It just doesn't work. Not even as satire. The dialogue is aggressively bad, which is the one thing a good VN actually does well.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    REGULATORSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

MOUNT UP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plPyJdXKIY

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Horse_ebooks I enjoyed our time together ;_;

desc on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    prioritiesdemotivator.jpg

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    natlovenatlove Registered User regular
    I just called the phone number on the Bear Stearns Bravo website. A man shouted "USA fourth of July!" and hung up.

I'm quite enjoying this.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    this isn't lame this is dumb and great

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    I called the number too, and had what sounds like PB Guy speak a snippet of spam at me and then hang up.

My current assessment is that the actual CYOA video is kinda bad, but the whole thing taken together, including the horse_ebooks account, the physical location (speaking of which), and the phone number is... interesting.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    meh.
    Sorry @spool32
    I dont think Im going to check out that gallery after all.
    I already lost interest
    zzz...zzz...

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Well, at least I can say I always knew this would be a disappointment.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    It's like Twisp and Catsby, but real...and serious.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    A coworker and I called and got horse-esque snippets read to us.

I will take two guys in a gallery being cryptic on the phone over the announcement of some Valve game any day.

I'm curious what else these guys might develop next. I will have to try this ARG at home but the horse_ebooks and the YouTube channel themselves are perfectly legit artistically.

I am almost automatically impressed with anyone with the diligence to work on a media project for years in the modern era of tired-in-half-a-day listicles.

• Options
    desc wrote: »

I will take two guys in a gallery being cryptic on the phone over the announcement of some Valve game any day.

I'm curious what else these guys might develop next. I will have to try this ARG at home but the horse_ebooks and the YouTube channel themselves are perfectly legit artistically.

I am almost automatically impressed with anyone with the diligence to work on a media project for years in the modern era of tired-in-half-a-day listicles.

I mean, by all rights I should be impressed. I should be right there with you, happy that a couple of artists did this for the sake of their craft (even if I'm unimpressed with the end result).

But I am seriously just bummed-out that it wasn't an ad for a new game.

I guess I'm just a terrible consumer gerbil on some level. :/

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

I mean, by all rights I should be impressed. I should be right there with you, happy that a couple of artists did this for the sake of their craft (even if I'm unimpressed with the end result).

I guess I'm just a terrible consumer gerbil on some wheel. :/

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    So Halo 5 is going to be about some kind of economist horse?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    I keep seeing references to "TIMM", is that another crappy ARG? (btw, is it me or is ARG the correct onomatopoeia for this?)

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    I keep seeing references to "TIMM", is that another crappy ARG? (btw, is it me or is ARG the correct onomatopoeia for this?)

Yeah, from the same people, several years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_is_My_Milwaukee

http://mymilwaukee.wikibruce.com/Home

www.ThisIsMyMilwaukee.com was actually still up until today but now it redirects to the Synydyne page, and the intro video is now private as well.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    The Ender wrote: »

I guess I'm just a terrible consumer gerbil on some level. :/

Nah, if these guys want to call this art, that is there right. At the same time, I feel we should be allowed to call it pudding-headed, abstract horse puckey without being labelled a bunch of philistines.

Besides, HL3 would have been so much cooler.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    You know, this interactive video thing is really kind of interminable. I have it playing in the background and it's been Tomorrow Dude shouting about who-the-fuck-cares for, like, ten minutes now.

• Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    You know, this interactive video thing is really kind of interminable. I have it playing in the background and it's been Tomorrow Dude shouting about who-the-fuck-cares for, like, ten minutes now.
    Yeah, I finally just had to turn it off. Tried again when I was showing our daughter a little a bit ago and got slightly further, but finally the annoyance factor won over and we just closed the window. Blarg...or arg, as the case may be.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Basically the resolution to this seems to have completely dropped or ignored all of the elements of PB which I found most interesting (coded messages, clandestine operations, transhumanist and science fiction-inspired themes, even the star-crossed romance) and its general creepy tone

And completely run with all of the ones that seemed mundane and most likely to be decoys or red herrings (stock market trading and financial regulation, etc) in an irritatingly over-the-top, campy tone.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Okay, there are actually a couple of amusing moments after the Jackie Dalton Speech That Never Ends.

"Jackie Dalton, you are charged with first degree moneycide, superfraud, and possession of subprime mortgages with intent to distribute."

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Now Pronunciation Manual needs to kick off their own 77 Days ARG.

77 days

"Nothing will happen...in 77 days."

http://youtube.com/pronunciationmanual/

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Megaton HopeMegaton Hope Registered User regular
    So it was all a marketing scheme to bring Tom Goes To The Mayor to the masses? Come on, guys.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Basically the resolution to this seems to have completely dropped or ignored all of the elements of PB which I found most interesting (coded messages, clandestine operations, transhumanist and science fiction-inspired themes, even the star-crossed romance) and its general creepy tone

And completely run with all of the ones that seemed mundane and most likely to be decoys or red herrings (stock market trading and financial regulation, etc) in an irritatingly over-the-top, campy tone.

Yes yes yes exactly.