As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kentucky Route Zero] An old hound in a straw hat. Both have seen better days.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    god what if they release act V on the same day

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    lol

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    always a pleasure, inantp

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    hey y'all

remember Kentucky Route Zero?

it's back, in almost finished form

Act 5 is coming out in a few days and people are gonna start playing it again, so I thought it might be time to dig up this old barely-used fossil mostly to point and laugh at the one page of posts from a century ago, but also because I think it might be useful to have a place for talking about it again and maybe encouraging people to get on playing it for the first time or going back before Act 5 and the TV Edition hit

I myself am in the middle of Act 2 and god I thought the Bureau of Reclaimed Spaces was my shit until I got to the Museum of Dwellings and no that's my real shit

6F32U1X.png
    Ringonever dieDisruptedCapitalist
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    if I'm gonna play through this puppy from start to the finish do I a) need to play the interstitials and b) where do they fit into the timeline

YaYa wrote: »
    if I'm gonna play through this puppy from start to the finish do I a) need to play the interstitials and b) where do they fit into the timeline

There’s one interlude between each act and if you never have you should probably play them, when TV Edition comes out they’ll be included

Act I
    Limits and Demonstrations
    Act II
    The Entertainment
    Act III
    Here And There Along The Echo
    Act IV
    Un Pueblo de Nada
    Act V

6F32U1X.png
    Speed Racer
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    pretty sure they're between every act, so

Act I
    Limits and Demonstrations
    Act II
    The Entertainment
    Act III
    Here And There Along The Echo
    Act IV
    Un Pueblo de Nada
    Act V

also i'm partway through IV now after having only played through act II all those years ago and uh, this game fucking rules
    i had Too Late to Love You stuck in my head for a good week

uc3ufTB.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I don't know if all the interstitials are as good as The Entertainment, but at the very least play The Entertainment.

usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    GundiSageinaRage
    I remember liking Limits and Demonstrations quite a bit

I should probably play Un Pueblo de Nada considering looking up the list of interludes was the first time I’ve ever heard of it

6F32U1X.png
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    just be warned that The Entertainment is a good 30-45 minutes

also i kinda preferred doing it after Act III

uc3ufTB.png
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Can I be impressed and frustrated at the same time? Like let’s be real about the release schedule on this game, the lack of updates, the amount that does get released when it does get released. I don’t know of any other game that’s gotten the praise and slack that KRZ has gotten. And it’s not like the devs owe me anything at all-I just find it weird, and the effusive praise more than a little aggravating. It will be nice to finally have the ability to play the whole thing through, end to end, as a completed work. I like a lot of what this game is, or has tried to be. I also think KRZ’s trenchant otherness has allowed it a ton of free passes over the years, and it is not as inventive, deep, or impressive as a lot of thinkpieces try to make it seem.

But I’ll still play it once I can to see how it ends.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I remember almost nothing about this game so I'm gonna pick it up on Switch next week

TankHammer
    God the ambition on the visuals just hits some next level shit in Act 2, and it just keeps going up from there

6F32U1X.png
    DarkPrimus

The thing about the release of everything being so spaced out was that because of The Entertainment I had an undercurrent of dread like a Sword of Damocles going the whole time in it but
    I hadn't thought it would be that exact thing showing up and when it did it I had a visceral reaction. Full body sweats.

usnTyq4.jpg
    Everything about Hard Times is so spooky and so good

6F32U1X.png
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

you don't really have to play the interstitials but they're real cool...

but also what timeline? kentucky route zero ain't got no timelines. we're all free people here. not bound in space or time.

Linespider5
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »

you don't really have to play the interstitials but they're real cool...

but also what timeline? kentucky route zero ain't got no timelines. we're all free people here. not bound in space or time.

Kentucky Route Zero is, essentially, a play masquerading as an adventure game. You can stick to the Acts and do just fine. The extra stuff will enrich what’s there, and also, I’m sure, were intended to maintain interest and whet appetites between the long waits for the release of the Acts. But as a full piece, I feel like the extras can be saved for a second replay, or something like that.

oh boy did I forget that Conway in Act IV makes me very very sad

6F32U1X.png
    Speed RacerGundiStiltsCello
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    oh boy did I forget that Conway in Act IV makes me very very sad
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUpTJg2EBpw

even before he gets fully skeletonized and dragged off on a boat, he just acts so different in a way that's very upsetting

I didn't think a character making a turn to being upbeat and irreverent could be horrific

6F32U1X.png
    Speed RacerStiltsmiscellaneousinsanity
    edited January 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig_4QWMCPtI

oh dang the TV edition menus are gorgeous (i did not watch any of the act v stuff, also)

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
    One thing about the long timeline that makes me very curious

Act IV came out before Twin Peaks The Return aired, and now Act V is coming out nearly two and a half years after it ended, so I wonder if there will be any influence from that seen here

Act IV
    Conway's disappearance being scored by horrible electricity sounds felt very Twin Peaks-y already on top of the usual Lynchian touches KRZ already has

6F32U1X.png
    Austin Walker wrote a thing about KR0. It is a long, but deeply moving, read. No spoilers for Act V.

usnTyq4.jpg
    miscellaneousinsanityHobnailStiltsLinespider5Virgil_Leads_YouWeedLordVegetanever diemilski
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    on one hand i wanna play this

on the other hand i don't wanna play this without replaying everything else

on the other other hand i kind of want to marathon the whole thing and not do it over the course of a half hour here, 45 minutes there

and i won't have time to do that for a day or two

and as a result i'm just kind of sitting here not playing a game that i own and really really really want to play

edited January 2020
    on one hand i wanna play this

on the other hand i don't wanna play this without replaying everything else

on the other other hand i kind of want to marathon the whole thing and not do it over the course of a half hour here, 45 minutes there

and i won't have time to do that for a day or two

and as a result i'm just kind of sitting here not playing a game that i own and really really really want to play

I started up Act V not having played any of it since the last act came out.

I don't remember everything that's happened but I'm still connecting with the characters and I'm still taking a break after like 30 minutes because I started crying.

DarkPrimus on
    usnTyq4.jpg
    edited January 2020
    miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Just finished Act 1 and I'm really digging the atmosphere but I have a couple of questions about the nature of the game for people who have played more of it.
    Is this the type of game where you can die or otherwise fail? There was a message about being afraid of the dark/night and when I got into the museum and the background faded away I honestly got spooked and backed the hell out of there. Also how was I supposed to figure out the mine was where the supposed on ramp was? I dunno if I missed something but I wandered around until I felt like I had been everywhere and just looked it up.

Lasbrook wrote: »
    Just finished Act 1 and I'm really digging the atmosphere but I have a couple of questions about the nature of the game for people who have played more of it.
    Is this the type of game where you can die or otherwise fail? There was a message about being afraid of the dark/night and when I got into the museum and the background faded away I honestly got spooked and backed the hell out of there. Also how was I supposed to figure out the mine was where the supposed on ramp was? I dunno if I missed something but I wandered around until I felt like I had been everywhere and just looked it up.
    There is no failure state or game over.

Also, don't worry about "missing something," it's a game as much about what choices you don't take as the ones you do.

usnTyq4.jpg
    it's possible you skipped over a bit of info, if you're ever feeling lost there's a notes section in the menu that will automatically fill in with important map directions etc

also if you wanna get real spooked in Act I,
    go straight through the tram section in the mines with your lamp turned off :)

uc3ufTB.png
    TankHammer
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Austin Walker wrote a thing about KR0. It is a long, but deeply moving, read. No spoilers for Act V.

Fuck
    Def got that dental time bomb situation of shame.
    :crackle:
    Good reminder to do less waiting

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
    GR_Zombie
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I just finished ACT 1 for the first time. And this game is exceedingly my jam. And boy oh boy are the scene and camera transitions just the most elegant things.

Also Elkgrove Mine
    On a lark I turned off the lamp, because if you give me buttons I push them. And got a little spooked at first. But the way it pivots into turning those ghosts into something very melancholy is very well done.

Anyways I'm a fan.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    DarkPrimusGrey GhostWeedLordVegetaStiltsmiscellaneousinsanityMs Dappernever dieDark Raven X
    Gustav wrote: »
    I just finished ACT 1 for the first time. And this game is exceedingly my jam. And boy oh boy are the scene and camera transitions just the most elegant things.

Also Elkgrove Mine
    On a lark I turned off the lamp, because if you give me buttons I push them. And got a little spooked at first. But the way it pivots into turning those ghosts into something very melancholy is very well done.

Anyways I'm a fan.

This is my shocked face

GustavDarkPrimusStiltsmiscellaneousinsanity
    I played through Act I again last night but it was the first time since... whenever it first came out so it's not like I have a vivid memory of it

What great atmosphere though. Can't wait to keep going tonight

I have played Act V

and even when everything I've heard was "it's not what you expect," it was...not what I expected, to the point where I kinda want to reframe it

I'll put it in spoilers for those who want to go in with nothing
    If you want the big conclusion that will answer mysteries and resolve characters, this ain't it

Act IV was the climax of the story and Act V is a small epilogue, a very short one as well, it's maybe 45 minutes long, an hour at max

It's gonna be the kind of thing where I have to sit with it for a bit to really figure out what I think about it

6F32U1X.png
  • never dienever die Registered User regular

I wish I had known this ahead of time after the first interstitial was like 20 minutes? I was tired and I think that affected my feelings on it as well.

But (The Entertainment spoilers):
    After about 10 minutes I was just waiting for it to be over. Like the play review I game says...it’s not a very good play. So sitting through 40ish minutes of meh dialogue and characters I don’t think was worth the payoff? Like spooky yellow skeleton man was cool, but i feel that I got the character beats really quick between everyone prett fast and got bored.

Maybe Act III makes it better but I soured on that interstitial pretty quick. Loved both of the first two acts and the first interstitial though.

Reading the many postmortems and I've learned one main thing that has blown my mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufAUonsYhVU

Junebug's song from Act III is still sung by Ben Babbitt, the game's usual composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81ZDfujSCkU

so these are the same voice! he just electronically manipulated his voice to such a significant degree to make the sound for Junebug

6F32U1X.png
    never die wrote: »

I wish I had known this ahead of time after the first interstitial was like 20 minutes? I was tired and I think that affected my feelings on it as well.

After about 10 minutes I was just waiting for it to be over. Like the play review I game says...it’s not a very good play. So sitting through 40ish minutes of meh dialogue and characters I don’t think was worth the payoff? Like spooky yellow skeleton man was cool, but i feel that I got the character beats really quick between everyone prett fast and got bored.

Maybe Act III makes it better but I soured on that interstitial pretty quick. Loved both of the first two acts and the first interstitial though.
    In the play the characters reveal that they created a new kind of debt. That it comes across as mundane is just part of the horror of it all.

usnTyq4.jpg
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    never die wrote: »

In the play the characters reveal that they created a new kind of debt. That it comes across as mundane is just part of the horror of it all.
    I caught that. Still didn’t change my feelings of it going on for too long. I do have the game the benefit of I was super tired when I played this part, which did affect my ability to engage with it.

KRZ might be the absolute worst game to try and play while tired, basically every night this week I thought about getting into Act V but it was already too late and I knew it would suffer for it

6F32U1X.png
    never dieLinespider5