As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EverQuest Next] Details revealed. Press embargo ended. Beta registration open.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    A Magrider would not look out of place in those screenshots.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    So according to this RPS article, they made the content creation tools for Next into it's own game which is pretty smart; gets people who are too intimidated at tradition devs tools to cook stuff up and no (relatively) awkward looking crap since you have to use in-game stuff to make it.

steam_sig.png
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    No more fat ogres. The emote stuff is really cool too.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    I like the art style. It almost looks Disneyish.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    Dac wrote: »
    I like the art style. It almost looks Disneyish.

Reminded me of Bioshock Infinite's Elizabeth.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
    Dac
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    These models have kind of a Disney look to them.

Ok parkour? Sweet. Tell me more.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    BRINK's SMART system?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    No levels and muliclassing?

Nice.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Elvenshae
    Voxels!? ...I'm almost totally sold.

edited August 2013
    Destructible terrain!
    Its-Happening-Ron-Paul-Rave-Reaction-Gif.gif

Dac on
    Elvenshae
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    I'm interested... As usual though, I'm thinking "Can they actually deliver what they say?"

GONG-00SeidkonaCorehealerPenumbraAresProphetElvenshae
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I think they took a lot of stuff from Camelot Unchained and placed it in EQ Next.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Yep. Applying personal dehyping protocol lest my head explode.

I've been waiting for a lot of this stuff to be put into an MMO. If they deliver on their promises guys...I don't know I think we have a winner.

Elvenshae
    edited August 2013
    Rally call reminds me of Super Diablo from diablo 2.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
    Yeah, well, the question is always 'can they deliver.' It helps that they at least have something to show of those features right now. (I'm looking at you, Star Citizen.)

I'm curious to how dynamic the 'emergent AI' is.

edited August 2013
    Player generated content.

IT'SHAPPENING

e: Oh, it's a separate game a la Minecraft. :((

Dac on
    Elvenshae
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    So, build something cool in their Landmark game and maybe it'll be in Next.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
    Wow, this winter we get to play with the tools too. This is very exciting stuff. I'm excited. Must contain hype...must...contain...hype...

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I can join the Orcs and help them wipe out random farmers? I'm sold!

Crowd-sourcing area development? I'm on board.

I'm not quite sure about this Everquest Next Landmark. It sounded good when he first propositioned it, but people buying other creations in hope of making more money doesn't seem like a fun game.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Sea of ThornsSea of Thorns Registered User regular
    This is dangerous. But I've seen the way SOE promises things before. Must... resist... hype...

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »

Wait... I don't remember that being mentioned specifically? When was that said?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    Roe wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure about this Everquest Next Landmark. It sounded good when he first propositioned it, but people buying other creations in hope of making more money doesn't seem like a fun game.

That aspect of it reminds me more of Second Life than anything else.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Promising stuff here, will keep an eye on it.

Still looking forward to Wildstar more though, for now.

488W936.png
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So, they made minecraft into an actual game, and the game is an MMORPG fueled by steam workshop type business model.

Sounds pretty rad.

Scosglen on
    edited August 2013
    If I get 1/3rd of what they are promising will I still enjoy the game? Yes, I think I would.

Seidkona on
    AresProphet
    edited August 2013
    Roe wrote: »

It seems to work pretty well in Dota 2, which has the best and most generous business model of any game in its genre space by far. It's a win for the developers and the players. I only caught the tail end of the announcement but it sounds like there's nothing stopping you from ignoring the market and just building everything yourself like you might want to do regardless.

Scosglen on
  • MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Well its not EverQuest HD. As some people were hoping for. However, I will be following this game.

Miniwolf on
    League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »

Wait... I don't remember that being mentioned specifically? When was that said?

I saw that mentioned in a few different places. Presumably it was part of the E3 presentation.

The example was stumbling on a farmer's barn being burned down by Orcs. You could help the farmer and maybe be rewarded by him, or help the Orcs and get a reward from them instead. And NPCs would remember the types of decisions you made and treat you accordingly.

So if it works like it sounds, consider the following example. A Wood Elf is wandering around Nektulos Forest and discovers some Dark Elf guards fighting off some Halflings. He decides to pitch in and help and the guards thank him. If he does this frequently enough, he might be granted permission to enter Neriak. But then the Halflings won't let him into Rivervale anymore, unless he makes up for it elsewhere.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Miniwolf wrote: »
    Well its not EverQuest HD. As some people were hoping for. However, I will be following this game.

Yeah, but that's okay with me. EQ1 HD wasn't something I was seriously expecting, and I still think EQN looks fucking rad as hell. Pretty excited about EQN Landmark as well

JtgVX0H.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Must get home. Must watch replay.

edited August 2013
    I think the most exciting thing about this beyond any bullet point like voxels or user generated content is that they are aiming for something radically different than the current WoW inspired paradigm. That alone is huge.

I think some of these "This or Wildstar" comparisons might end up woefully invalid as more stuff comes out and it becomes clear how different they really are.

Scosglen on
    SeidkonaKid PresentableElvenshae
    The class system alone is something I've wanted back for a long time. If they pull even just that part off I'll be happy.

Levels are stupid and so is being limited to one choice for skills based on a choice you make at character creation.

V1m
    Scosglen, we always see eye to eye on this stuff! Yeah this is quite a huge shift. I wonder if destruction and user made content (and hopefully user created cities and stuff) becomes the direction that other big companies start to take. Wildstar is by and large a team of people trying to distort the old EQ/WoW formula enough to reinvigorate the market, but it's still held back.

This is a whole new direction.

Come on! VOXELS!

• MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    Not sure if anyone saw this in the articles but i noticed something was amiss and here is the answer
    there are also no levels in this game, although your character does still progress.

League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
    SeidkonaElvenshae
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    "There are no levels but your character does progress" is such an incredibly vague statement, which means nothing except "the numeric representation of the power of your character is not called 'level'."

Anyway, color me skeptical. This game seems to be making promises that are more or less exactly the same as Oblivion did re: Oblivion's "Radiant AI"... and look how that turned out. I'm expecting all the pie-in-the-sky ideas to turn into something much more rudimentary by the time the game is actually released.

Elvenshae