As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EverQuest Next] Details revealed. Press embargo ended. Beta registration open.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I need to see their EQ Next froglok designs! I will so enjoy SOEmote with crazy frog faces along with hopefully some adorable little "ribbits".
    ...I'm easy to please.

• NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Beta registration up for EverQuest Next and Landmark.

Nathrak on
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I liked a lot of what they showed, but that No-Levels thing and the "Be any and all the classes and switch whenever you want!" thing is really ruining my hype buzz. I need to just wait and see what their idea of progression is, but my experience with games with a smushed/normalized power progression curve (or no curve at all) makes me super wary about this idea. Not to sound like an MMO hipster or elitist, but it sounds very casual. Combine that with the F2P model and its got me thinking even more casual - the type of game where you can log in and run around and do fun stuff, but not the type of thing with long-term investment and long-term rewards.

Everything they showed today has me convinced that it definitely will be a fun game to play, but I'm not sure it will be the thing that holds my attention the way I want it to. I guess I need to wait and see what they have planned for character progression, gear, etc.

• PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    Game sounds real cool and if I hadn't been burned by all these previous games that had massive hype I would totally be hyped for this game

It'd be great to have a more mainstream style of Wurm Online

Hopefully there is some info online after the Classes panel tomorrow. So far it worries me a bit too but we don't know much.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I think I got more... ?joy? from EQ2, even though I played WoW more. Pretty pumped for this.

What is this I don't even.
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    These days now that I'm working, I honestly kind of prefer being able to just hop on and have some fun.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    Nathrak wrote: »
    Hopefully there is some info online after the Classes panel tomorrow. So far it worries me a bit too but we don't know much.

Unfortunately, I gather that this panel isn't being streamed. Hope we get some good articles out of it at least, and more interviews and info in general from this weekend.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    These days now that I'm working, I honestly kind of prefer being able to just hop on and have some fun.

Nah, I want to hop on and not have any fun for a few hours.

JtgVX0H.png
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Here's a decent interview with some slightly more nitty gritty game mechanics details http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/03/everquest-next-interview/

Scosglen on

Scosglen wrote: »
    Here's a decent interview with some slightly more nitty gritty game mechanics details http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/03/everquest-next-interview/

You're my hero. The information in that interview is more detailed than anything else I've found across the internet today, and eases some of my concerns.
    There’s a shallow tier pool, because one of our focuses is on horizontal gameplay.

Oh jeez, not this nonsense again... Oh wait the article is more than on sentence long?
    We definitely have vertical gameplay, where a player increases in power in a particular class[...] It’s based on player accomplishments. It’s not skill based, so you don’t have to use your mace over and over again to level your mace skill up. But your tier three warrior, in order to advance to tier four, has to collect a full suit of tier three armor. You have to have spent enough points in that class. You have to have accomplished a certain amount of things in the game in order to have advanced[...] And we reward you with advancement in lots and lots of different ways. Whether it be participating in a Rallying Call, or doing quests, or engaging in any emergent AI that happens to be near you.

Okay I'm down with that.

Everybody give that article a read, its interesting stuff.

A very choice piece of information here buried in another PCgamer interview
    EverQuest Next will also allow players to build with these tools, but owning land will be a more exclusive luxury.

“[Landmark is] kind of practice mode for EverQuest Next, because when you get to EverQuest Next you’ll actually have to earn your land,” said Georgeson. “You’ll have to fulfill quests and stuff like that to get a land grant from the equivalent of a duke or baron, and then you can start building on that. And a lot of the stuff you create in Landmark might be able to be brought over, as long as it fits the art direction.”

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/02/everquest-next-landmark-announced/

So it sounds like we DO get to build stuff in the launch game, it's just that things are reigned in to some degree, which is about as good a compromise as you could ask for.

• eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    One thing I want to know, given the world was initially procedurally generated, what does that mean for world size on Everquest Next itself? Since it sounds like they generated a world and then the designers took the tools to it to add important locations and awesome shit. At least I think that is what they implied. I am hoping for a big ass world because a sense of exploration is seriously lacking in most MMOs. If Everquest Next has an Asheron's Call sized world or larger, along with the multi-classing, neat AI shenanigans, destructible environment, and being able to eventually build things? Well, there goes my life.

I was just telling a friend the other day that I would love to see a game with the exploration/building of Minecraft, with more gameplay and awesome loot. Well damn. It's happening.

(She/Her)
    edited August 2013
    This is from a press person, not a direct developer quote, but someone said that the game size is larger than all the zones in EQ1 and 2 combined, plus the game has pretty extensive subterranean layering.

So, pretty damn big.

Scosglen on
    Think underground stuff is continuously generated and changes based on stuff going on.

From the EQHammer Q&A
    3) What does Sony really mean by EverQuest Next being "the biggest sandbox ever"? - Greydath

In terms of space available to be played in, EverQuest Next is larger than all the zones in EverQuest and EverQuest II combined. Between impressive use of verticality and digging, it will quite literally be the biggest sandbox game ever seen to date.

We’ll touch on this a bit more below, but there is a massive amount of underground content that is procedurally generated, but all based on the history and lore of its geographical locations. In many cases this can go three levels deep, so there is a lot of content to be discovered and, once found, will be different each time you play through it.

Bigger than all of EQ and EQ2 sounds good. I hope that's just the overworld but I bet they are counting all the vertical possibilities.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    So how do you discover new classes in the world? Read a tome?

McPherson: In any number of ways. It could be that you need to go and help a hermit, who happens to be a high level wizard. He has issues, you need to help him, and he may have a storyline we have created for him, but the emergent AI in the surrounding area influences the majority of that, so it’s never the same content you have to go through.

Butler: There could be a class that’s unlocked by unlocking a combination of classes.

McPherson: Right, the assassin trainer won’t give you the class until you’re a really high level rogue and you’ve done a whole bunch of things. And the paladin for example, [Dave Georgeson, Director of Development] mentioned a life of consequence—if you haven’t been making the good choices and being an upright and justice influenced person, you can’t be a paladin. They won’t let you, because the game knows what you’re doing. So you have to live—in some of these classes, we restrict it to how you’ve been acting in the game.

So I guess there is a reason for alts if this turns out to be the case.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    This is from a press person, not a direct developer quote, but someone said that the game size is larger than all the zones in EQ1 and 2 combined, plus the game has pretty extensive subterranean layering.

So, pretty damn big.

So, we can expect beta to begin sometime in 2015?

488W936.png
  • AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    The junk they are talking about today is ridiculous.

Like if half of this comes about it will be the MMO of MMOs, as beautiful and terrible as the dawn. All will Love It and Despair.

Which... sure yeah great DO that.

But this is as ambitious as all getup, my jaded heart cannot open itself back up, not now... not so soon. I must contain my longing.

• PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »

So, pretty damn big.

So, we can expect beta to begin sometime in 2015?

I am excited to at some point be excited for this game

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Alexandier wrote: »
    The junk they are talking about today is ridiculous.

Like if half of this comes about it will be the MMO of MMOs, as beautiful and terrible as the dawn. All will Love It and Despair.

Which... sure yeah great DO that.

But this is as ambitious as all getup, my jaded heart cannot open itself back up, not now... not so soon. I must contain my longing.

I too have been hurt before. But I want to love again.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I signed up for beta, at any rate; it was as easy as entering in my SOE account name and password. A refreshing change.

I am most impressed with how well they've converted Forgelight over in these early screenshots to the uses of EQNext from PS2, and want to see how it performs in a less zerg intensive environment, as I imagine soloing or small world groups will provide. The mechanics will do or die on their own merits, but I like what I see of the engine's evolution.

488W936.png
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Meh.

/signs up for beta anyway.

*e* Clarification of "meh"

> EQ's lore never interested me at all. Even back when it was THE MMO I was like "OOH PLAY WITH FRIENDS! ... with... elves and shit. Whatever." It looks like kind of boring bog-standard fantasy, especially in the face of stuff like WildStar, The Secret World, and Guild Wars 2. Will I give a thing a shot if the gameplay is good even if the lore sucks? Well, yeah, but it probably won't hold my attention too long. Unless aliens show up a la the original Might and Magic. Aliens are always rad.

> My gamer skeptic eyebrow is through the roof. Voxels? Dynamic landscapes with persistent changes? events that "matter?" Wow, will you also pay off my student loans and a penthouse in San Francisco? Also, I have a bridge to sell you.

But I'm signing up for beta anyway because... because. Because I guess I do kinda sorta wanna know what the fuss is about.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • JesDerJesDer Registered User regular
    EQnLandmark1.jpg

I love how George's 4 holy grails are things other games have already done. I am not saying EQN doesn't look good, but I think it will suffer greatly once it is in the hands of the players.... I am betting the Time to Cock on the game will be under 1 min.

Well, with it being run by Sony and not a private server and buildings tied to a claim so they know who built what. I am sure there will be bannings for people who cock it up.

(She/Her)
    what .. oh .. sorry my group was just using AE's while standing in this kinda line formation and it happened ...

Well I was only thinking cock construction, didn't even consider cock destruction.

(She/Her)
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    So how do you discover new classes in the world? Read a tome?

McPherson: In any number of ways. It could be that you need to go and help a hermit, who happens to be a high level wizard. He has issues, you need to help him, and he may have a storyline we have created for him, but the emergent AI in the surrounding area influences the majority of that, so it’s never the same content you have to go through.

Butler: There could be a class that’s unlocked by unlocking a combination of classes.

McPherson: Right, the assassin trainer won’t give you the class until you’re a really high level rogue and you’ve done a whole bunch of things. And the paladin for example, [Dave Georgeson, Director of Development] mentioned a life of consequence—if you haven’t been making the good choices and being an upright and justice influenced person, you can’t be a paladin. They won’t let you, because the game knows what you’re doing. So you have to live—in some of these classes, we restrict it to how you’ve been acting in the game.

So I guess there is a reason for alts if this turns out to be the case.

I can't see such a system lasting a year post-launch, if it even makes it into the live game in the first place.

Shockingly, the MMO audience has remarkably low tolerance for these kinds of permanent consequences, especially if they're foisted upon them after potentially hundreds of invested hours.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    Well one thing Everquest has always done is restrict your character by his actions, but allow you to release those restrictions through hardwork (grinding). So for example, if you are a high elf, dark elves will naturally hate you and you won't be welcome in or near their lands. But if you kill enough of something else that they hate, eventually they will welcome you. So I imagine any actions that might cause restrictions can be undone through hard work.

• DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    If they pull off what they are saying, this will be -insanely- awesome. We shall have to wait and see, but much like Star Citizen, if it comes true...oh man. What a ride it will be!!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
    edited August 2013
    Some fan cornered a dev and asked some good questions- http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1jm875/talked_to_darrin_lead_game_design_at_the_pool/

Regarding Paladins and Shadowknights, this guy says that you *can* unlock both, but that you will have to work on your good or evil factions to pursue unlocking and training in those classes, and that reputation is mutually exclusive at any given time, so you can't be liked by both at once.

Scosglen on
    Some fan cornered a dev and asked some good questions- http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1jm875/talked_to_darrin_lead_game_design_at_the_pool/

Regarding Paladins and Shadowknights, this guy says that you *can* unlock both, but that you will have to work on your good or evil factions to pursue unlocking and training in those classes, and that reputation is mutually exclusive at any given time, so you can't be liked by both at once.

Paladin all the way, swag.

488W936.png
  • Boatload Of SuckBoatload Of Suck I fought an 8-year-old! Registered User regular
    I liked a lot of what they showed, but that No-Levels thing and the "Be any and all the classes and switch whenever you want!" thing is really ruining my hype buzz.

I kind of liken it to non-leveling in Oblivion. I always left my characters at level 1 so I could pursue the skills I wanted to get instead of having to grind X amount of mobs to reach an artificial plateau that suddenly allowed me to do the things I wanted.

Using EQ1 as an example, imagine being a level 1 monk that never levels up, but you explore some underground labyrinth and discover a martial arts tournament where you learn Flying Kick.

I hope that's how it works - Ah maybe I'm just caught up in the hype.

The grape Kool Aid is the best.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    JesDer wrote: »
    I love how George's 4 holy grails are things other games have already done. I am not saying EQN doesn't look good, but I think it will suffer greatly once it is in the hands of the players.... I am betting the Time to Cock on the game will be under 1 min.

There is nothing wrong with this. World of Warcraft took a lot of inspiration from Everquest, it just had an insane amount of polish, a great UI, and UI modding from the start. Iterative improvement on great mechanics leaves you with...great mechanics that are still fun, and polished to a high sheen.

I'm trying to avoid getting too excited about this, but I did lose 5 years of my life to hardcore EQ raiding. We'll see if they can deliver on their promises, but considering they actually had playable demonstrations at this speech is a very good sign of how far along they are.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    Did that EQ next app thing, got some station cash and a free exp potion for eq 1 and 2. Note that I did this while intoxicated and it should be noted that the ones that say 'SOE LIVE' are the soe live event stuff and you can't complete them. Right now anyways.

League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    I can't see such a system lasting a year post-launch, if it even makes it into the live game in the first place.

Shockingly, the MMO audience has remarkably low tolerance for these kinds of permanent consequences, especially if they're foisted upon them after potentially hundreds of invested hours.

I think you're totally right. Guild Wars 2 has started to implement a soft system for permanent consequence with their bi-monthly rotating content, most recently with an election for a public official that WILL have a permanent effect on both the lore AND events, AND which players really are voting on. While it's not individual action permanence, it's still permanence... and the very same people who have bitched about GW2 being too theme-parkey with a veneer of action through its dynamic events are the ones bitching that this permanent consequence is fucking things up for them and they're not getting the thing ~theyyyy~ wanted.

You know what? Honest to god, this is all smacking of Spore. Remember how we all felt BEFORE Spore came out? PROCEDURAL CONTENT! TRUE EVOLUTION! BUILD WHATEVER YOU WANT! CREATE CIVILIZATIONS!

And then Spore actually came out :|

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I thought it looked pretty cool until the warrior started making 40 foot leaps, flipping in the air, and landing with an explosion under his feet. Lost me after that.

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Has anyone seen anything Iksar? None of the pictures I saw showed one.

Wondering if they are in the game.

• MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    korodullin wrote: »

I think you're totally right. Guild Wars 2 has started to implement a soft system for permanent consequence with their bi-monthly rotating content, most recently with an election for a public official that WILL have a permanent effect on both the lore AND events, AND which players really are voting on. While it's not individual action permanence, it's still permanence... and the very same people who have bitched about GW2 being too theme-parkey with a veneer of action through its dynamic events are the ones bitching that this permanent consequence is fucking things up for them and they're not getting the thing ~theyyyy~ wanted.

You know what? Honest to god, this is all smacking of Spore. Remember how we all felt BEFORE Spore came out? PROCEDURAL CONTENT! TRUE EVOLUTION! BUILD WHATEVER YOU WANT! CREATE CIVILIZATIONS!

And then Spore actually came out :|

We'll see, it honestly depends on implementation at this point. They have come up with or have come up with better ways of implementing it over what GW2 did. I do agree, however this one strikes closer to home with the game title of 'Fable' then it does with spore. Peter Molyneux promised the world on both of them but couldn't carry it out. What they have described is making it a different experience every time you log in. I don't think we've had an MMO promise stuff on that level yet. They're crowd sourcing art assets to they can focus on other stuff, which is a genius idea.

On a side note right now something I have noticed is a complete lack of announcement for Trade Skills. I wonder if that means 'no trade skills' or 'we havn't figured a good way to put them in yet'

Also this is there example 'Everquest Next: Landmark' building video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YVBAreJ6zuY

Miniwolf on
    League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I liked what I saw, although I never played an Everquest game. One things for sure, there are a lot of pissed off fans.

I wish the devs in the future would only listen to the round table and not the complaints on some forum.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
    Roe wrote: »
    One things for sure, there are a lot of pissed off fans.

They are pissed off because they wanted another EverQuest game .. This is not an EverQuest game.... And honestly, this is a good thing.

There is nothing wrong with this. World of Warcraft took a lot of inspiration from Everquest, it just had an insane amount of polish, a great UI, and UI modding from the start. Iterative improvement on great mechanics leaves you with...great mechanics that are still fun, and polished to a high sheen.

I'm trying to avoid getting too excited about this, but I did lose 5 years of my life to hardcore EQ raiding. We'll see if they can deliver on their promises, but considering they actually had playable demonstrations at this speech is a very good sign of how far along they are.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it .. I just don't like George saying no one has done these things before.

I hated WoW because it wast anything new. I had played that game fore years and I just couldn't get into it. I ended up in EQ2 and loved it because of its complexities. Now I want something different and I think EQN might be that game but I am not going to pretend these Holy Grail systems are anything new even if they are more refined than other examples.