As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bring on the waterworks.

13

Posts

  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It's not really sad itself without the preceding line from fry, because he was sad Seymour lived a long happy life without him.

    Cut to Seymour sitting there waiting for Fry to return.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Might as well leave this one here for y'all

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    If you have Netflix, I recommend the Japanese film, Departures. It's really beautiful.

    steam_sig.png
  • k-mapsk-maps I wish I could find the Karnaugh map for love. 2^<3Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Poetry (film), both beautiful and yes, sad, becauseallthingsthatmakeyoucryhaveanelmentofsadnessdamnit.

    k-maps on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    k-maps wrote: »
    Poetry

    Poetry of SCIENCE!, you say? Don't mind if I do:



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=akek6cFRZfY

    Jokerman wrote: »
    If sigs were still a thing this would be mine.
  • cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Lilo and Stitch is good happy crying (with some sad) especially if you have emotional issues tied around family and finding/making your own family
    Iron Giant is so good
    Monsters Inc
    Big Fish if you've got daddy issues/I love you dad issues
    in the end what is a good happy or at least not miserably sad cry trigger for you is sorta personal, I guess? Like, yeah Up makes me teary eyed just like every other thinking feeling human on earth, but what gets me more is Dug's storyline and Dug's Special Mission makes me cry grossly but it's all happy tears for Dug. I'm pretty sure sobbing is not a normal reaction to Dug's Special Mission, though

  • CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Heidi and Black Beauty are classics and major tearjerkers. Or go on Youtube and search "Vet returns/surprises family member/dog." Even if you don't like the military, the relief and happiness of their families will probably make you bawl.

  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Theres a scene in "DragonHeart" the movie (Where Sean Connery voices the dragon) near the end where the music is just so powerful, and with a group of voilins that just always makes me tear up, and the scene is very well done. Violins can wreck your soul man. It's like resonance..

    Also, Seconded for Iron Giant. The last scenes....so much feels.

    azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    ceres
  • minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    This one got me right in the tears

  • Radiant OctaveRadiant Octave Registered User regular
    So I'm not sure if you've cried yet, or have cried enough, but here is a link that hit me right in the feels.

    http://imgur.com/gallery/8czT5

  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    WE3.

    Had me bawling by the end.

    Bolthorn
  • Arson WellesArson Welles Registered User regular
    So I'm not sure if you've cried yet, or have cried enough, but here is a link that hit me right in the feels.

    http://imgur.com/gallery/8czT5

    This one almost got me.

  • RikushixRikushix Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Nova_C wrote: »
    k-maps wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies.

    If you don't cry from that, go to a cardiologist to get your heart replaced.

    EDIT: Great, now I'm crying at work just thinking about it. Thanks.

    I refuse to watch that movie. I was going to, then chickened out and read the synopsis on Wikipedia. I almost started crying from the synopsis alone and my response was "Oh god why would I watch that?"

    WALL-E made me sob like a little girl, but I love that movie so much.

    I've watched Grave of the Fireflies in both English and Japanese and it basically destroys you. I've not met a single person who doesn't bawl like a fucking baby.

    I almost love it for it though. It's quite cathartic. You feel better after a while...much, much later.

    I think it's a lot sadder precisely because it's more or less inspired by a true story.

    Also, I swear I'm like the only person on the planet who loves Gattaca. Ending always makes me cry.

    edit: Sorry, I skimmed too. GotF is not exactly a "happy cry" to say the least.

    I think Gattaca is though.

    Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • GoatmonGoatmon Property of Amara_P Registered User regular
    k-maps wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies.

    If you don't cry from that, go to a cardiologist to get your heart replaced.

    EDIT: Great, now I'm crying at work just thinking about it. Thanks.

    I felt really bad for the sister, but by the very end of it I was too busy being mad at the dumbass protagonist to really feel bad for him.
    Dumbass kid decides to drag his sister with him to live more or less on the street because he's too prideful to put up with his aunt, and then lets her starve to death because he's too stupid to realize that she isn't eating enough.

    Ugh. Fuck that guy.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204


    KamiroceresSCREECH OF THE FARG
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Goatmon wrote: »
    k-maps wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies.

    If you don't cry from that, go to a cardiologist to get your heart replaced.

    EDIT: Great, now I'm crying at work just thinking about it. Thanks.

    I felt really bad for the sister, but by the very end of it I was too busy being mad at the dumbass protagonist to really feel bad for him.
    Dumbass kid decides to drag his sister with him to live more or less on the street because he's too prideful to put up with his aunt, and then lets her starve to death because he's too stupid to realize that she isn't eating enough.

    Ugh. Fuck that guy.

    Pretty much this. I didn't even do too much of the crying, I just went straight to "fuck that guy."

    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    awwwwwwwwww, which pratchett books?

    I tear up a bit at the end of Wicked, though it's a musical they haven't made into a movie yet, so...

    Reaper Man, Jingo, most of the witch books, Thud...

    I tend to get misty-eyed when things fall into place, in a good way.

    WHERE IS MY COW?

    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    azith28 wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »
    awwwwwwwwww, which pratchett books?

    I tear up a bit at the end of Wicked, though it's a musical they haven't made into a movie yet, so...

    Reaper Man, Jingo, most of the witch books, Thud...

    I tend to get misty-eyed when things fall into place, in a good way.

    WHERE IS MY COW?

    I bawled at the end of Thud, for real, and my son wasn't even born yet.

    Also, good tears: read about @Blackhawk1313 in the SE++ kids thread.

    He is an amazing dad.

    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    djmitchellalonelyahavaAustralopitenico
  • GoatmonGoatmon Property of Amara_P Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Okay so I'm posting what is, I think, the most heart-wrenching thing I know of. I like to watch things that really touch me, but this vid just destroys me every single time I see it. I literally just can't bear it.

    As a guy who literally experienced having my favorite dog die in my arms, this scene hits me on a very personal level.

    There's no death involved in this bit, though. Just a sad farewell. Nevertheless, be warned.

    That god damn harmonica.

    Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204


  • GoatmonGoatmon Property of Amara_P Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Honestly, that whole dang movie is deceptively heartbreaking.

    A few years ago it was on TV and I hadn't seen it since I was little, and basically remembered next to nothing about it.

    And then THAT scene happened and I just went

    oh

    oh no

    noooooooooooooooooooooo

    Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204


  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    This one is my go to when I need to "water the eyelids", and restore some faith in humanity



    edit: *hugs the entire forum*

    WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • GoatmonGoatmon Property of Amara_P Registered User regular
    I love Tom Smith so much for writing this.

    It really brought a totally new perspective for me regarding Jim Henson and all of the wonderful creations he left behind.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204


  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Oh, your Jim Henson reminded me of the two classic tearjerker Mr. Rogers vids:



    ForarGoatmon
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »
    I am going to be straight with you here: I hate crying.
    veRyROB.png

    WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?

    You've gotta prepare a man to see that.

    It's a not a short read, but I found the ending to Y: The Last Man hit me hard, both in terms of sadness and then tears of uplifting joy.

    But it occurs to me that telling someone there's an emotional response that's supposed to occur may be blunting it. Like... I'm not sure we can tell him what might help him cry. Personally, I find knowing something is coming can reduce the impact.

    Except for the opening of Up.

    I knew that was coming and it still hit me hard.

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Arson Welles
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »
    awwwwwwwwww, which pratchett books?

    I tear up a bit at the end of Wicked, though it's a musical they haven't made into a movie yet, so...

    Reaper Man, Jingo, most of the witch books, Thud...

    I tend to get misty-eyed when things fall into place, in a good way.

    WHERE IS MY COW?

    I bawled at the end of Thud, for real, and my son wasn't even born yet.

    Also, good tears: read about @Blackhawk1313 in the SE++ kids thread.

    He is an amazing dad.

    As funny as pratchett is with everything he does, his Night watch series is simply on a whole different level for so many reasons.

    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Donovan PuppyfuckerAustralopitenico
  • GoatmonGoatmon Property of Amara_P Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »
    I am going to be straight with you here: I hate crying.
    veRyROB.png

    WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?

    You've gotta prepare a man to see that.

    It's a not a short read, but I found the ending to Y: The Last Man hit me hard, both in terms of sadness and then tears of uplifting joy.

    But it occurs to me that telling someone there's an emotional response that's supposed to occur may be blunting it. Like... I'm not sure we can tell him what might help him cry. Personally, I find knowing something is coming can reduce the impact.

    Except for the opening of Up.

    I knew that was coming and it still hit me hard.

    The whole opening sequence is by far the most amazing part of the film, if I had to pick one part.

    One particular detail that really blew me away was the hospital shot.

    It's just a cut from the nursery decoration, to a sudden softness of the music as we see Ellie, sitting in a doctor's office, crying into her hands while Carl comforts her and a doctor is talking to them both.

    Such a brief bit, but it tells you so much, and it's just heartbreaking.

    Then of course, there's the scrapbook scene in the final act. That was beautifully done.

    Personally, though... the part that I'll carry with me forever, is one that I figure hits me harder than most people, because I am a contender for the worst daddy issues on the entire forum.

    And that's when Carl shows up at Russel's scout meeting. And gives him the "Ellie Badge."

    I tend to get really broken up at tender father sort of moments.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204


    Forarlonelyahava
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular


    This one pretty much got me the first time I saw it but at least it has a happy ending.

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • TaekoTaeko Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    This post has been removed.

    Taeko on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Taeko wrote: »
    It is reassuring to know I'm not the only one who loses it during "Vincent and the Doctor." The flood of tears over here each and every time...

    I think I feel the worst for the museum curator(?).

    Also The Girl in the Fireplace, if I didn't already mention it. Though that one is more just all around sad.

    Jokerman wrote: »
    If sigs were still a thing this would be mine.
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I think the last thing that brought good tears to my eyes was "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel".

    I loved that movie so much.

    Also, honestly, "The Iron Lady". But i'm wondering if my reaction to that was more to do with my having not slept for about 30 hours when I watched it.

  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    For some reason, martyrdom and sacrifice just really get to me. Any time I see a news story about a firefighter who dies on duty it just give me a throat lump. Those 19 firemen who died in Prescott in July was a good example.

    Basically anything about abused dogs gets me instantaneously. How people can be so brutal to dogs is completely unfathomable to me. Like that video about those beagles. How can we call ourselves an evolved, moral species when we do shit like that to animals that, really, will love you unconditionally just for feeding and being decent to them. And on that note, I really, really miss having dogs in the house, to the point where I'm thinking about putting up flyers for a free dog walking service just so I can hang out with dogs more often.

  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    For some reason, martyrdom and sacrifice just really get to me. Any time I see a news story about a firefighter who dies on duty it just give me a throat lump. Those 19 firemen who died in Prescott in July was a good example.

    Basically anything about abused dogs gets me instantaneously. How people can be so brutal to dogs is completely unfathomable to me. Like that video about those beagles. How can we call ourselves an evolved, moral species when we do shit like that to animals that, really, will love you unconditionally just for feeding and being decent to them. And on that note, I really, really miss having dogs in the house, to the point where I'm thinking about putting up flyers for a free dog walking service just so I can hang out with dogs more often.

    It gets me everytime too. My mother helps foster abandoned cats and dogs and some of the things we've seen have been heartbreaking.

    Dog-walking is a great idea, either that or if you have a local animal shelter or SPCA they are always looking for volunteers for dog walking I find.

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »


    This one pretty much got me the first time I saw it but at least it has a happy ending.

    Gets me every time. Specifically when they first come out of the crates and it's obviously that their little bodies don't even know how to walk/run properly cuz they've been in a crate their whole life.

    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    This story about Mr Rogers just destroys me, every time.

    An excerpt:
    ONCE UPON A TIME, there was a boy who didn't like himself very much. It was not his fault. He was born with cerebral palsy. Cerebral palsy is something that happens to the brain. It means that you can think but sometimes can't walk, or even talk. This boy had a very bad case of cerebral palsy, and when he was still a little boy, some of the people entrusted to take care of him took advantage of him instead and did things to him that made him think that he was a very bad little boy, because only a bad little boy would have to live with the things he had to live with. In fact, when the little boy grew up to be a teenager, he would get so mad at himself that he would hit himself, hard, with his own fists and tell his mother, on the computer he used for a mouth, that he didn't want to live anymore, for he was sure that God didn't like what was inside him any more than he did. He had always loved Mister Rogers, though, and now, even when he was fourteen years old, he watched the Neighborhood whenever it was on, and the boy's mother sometimes thought that Mister Rogers was keeping her son alive. She and the boy lived together in a city in California, and although she wanted very much for her son to meet Mister Rogers, she knew that he was far too disabled to travel all the way to Pittsburgh, so she figured he would never meet his hero, until one day she learned through a special foundation designed to help children like her son that Mister Rogers was coming to California and that after he visited the gorilla named Koko, he was coming to meet her son.

    At first, the boy was made very nervous by the thought that Mister Rogers was visiting him. He was so nervous, in fact, that when Mister Rogers did visit, he got mad at himself and began hating himself and hitting himself, and his mother had to take him to another room and talk to him. Mister Rogers didn't leave, though. He wanted something from the boy, and Mister Rogers never leaves when he wants something from somebody. He just waited patiently, and when the boy came back, Mister Rogers talked to him, and then he made his request. He said, "I would like you to do something for me. Would you do something for me?" On his computer, the boy answered yes, of course, he would do anything for Mister Rogers, so then Mister Rogers said, "I would like you to pray for me. Will you pray for me?" And now the boy didn't know how to respond. He was thunderstruck. Thunderstruck means that you can't talk, because something has happened that's as sudden and as miraculous and maybe as scary as a bolt of lightning, and all you can do is listen to the rumble. The boy was thunderstruck because nobody had ever asked him for something like that, ever. The boy had always been prayed for. The boy had always been the object of prayer, and now he was being asked to pray for Mister Rogers, and although at first he didn't know if he could do it, he said he would, he said he'd try, and ever since then he keeps Mister Rogers in his prayers and doesn't talk about wanting to die anymore, because he figures Mister Rogers is close to God, and if Mister Rogers likes him, that must mean God likes him, too.

    As for Mister Rogers himself…well, he doesn't look at the story in the same way that the boy did or that I did. In fact, when Mister Rogers first told me the story, I complimented him on being so smart—for knowing that asking the boy for his prayers would make the boy feel better about himself—and Mister Rogers responded by looking at me at first with puzzlement and then with surprise. "Oh, heavens no, Tom! I didn't ask him for his prayers for him; I asked for me. I asked him because I think that anyone who has gone through challenges like that must be very close to God. I asked him because I wanted his intercession."

    (just _pasting_ that is enough to get me, sheesh)

    SCREECH OF THE FARGNWK
  • GoatmonGoatmon Property of Amara_P Registered User regular
    Oh jeez, that last part.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204


    djmitchella
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Whats really sad about that is if someone like Mr. Rodgers came along again he would never achieve the same level of love and popularity. People like that just dont get noticed in hollywood anymore. They are only interested in the flavor of the moment, not the long game.

    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    azith28 wrote: »
    Whats really sad about that is if someone like Mr. Rodgers came along again he would never achieve the same level of love and popularity. People like that just dont get noticed in hollywood anymore. They are only interested in the flavor of the moment, not the long game.

    What's really happy about that is that he came along exactly when he did, so that we knew him and can remember and our generation as parents can pass his messages along to our kids. I know PBS provides access to Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.. when my son is a little older I'm going to make sure I have all of it I can for him.

    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    lonelyahava
  • PentaghostPentaghost Registered User regular


    I cry every single time I watch that.

  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    This story about Mr Rogers just destroys me, every time.

    An excerpt:
    ONCE UPON A TIME, there was a boy who didn't like himself very much. It was not his fault. He was born with cerebral palsy. Cerebral palsy is something that happens to the brain. It means that you can think but sometimes can't walk, or even talk. This boy had a very bad case of cerebral palsy, and when he was still a little boy, some of the people entrusted to take care of him took advantage of him instead and did things to him that made him think that he was a very bad little boy, because only a bad little boy would have to live with the things he had to live with. In fact, when the little boy grew up to be a teenager, he would get so mad at himself that he would hit himself, hard, with his own fists and tell his mother, on the computer he used for a mouth, that he didn't want to live anymore, for he was sure that God didn't like what was inside him any more than he did. He had always loved Mister Rogers, though, and now, even when he was fourteen years old, he watched the Neighborhood whenever it was on, and the boy's mother sometimes thought that Mister Rogers was keeping her son alive. She and the boy lived together in a city in California, and although she wanted very much for her son to meet Mister Rogers, she knew that he was far too disabled to travel all the way to Pittsburgh, so she figured he would never meet his hero, until one day she learned through a special foundation designed to help children like her son that Mister Rogers was coming to California and that after he visited the gorilla named Koko, he was coming to meet her son.

    At first, the boy was made very nervous by the thought that Mister Rogers was visiting him. He was so nervous, in fact, that when Mister Rogers did visit, he got mad at himself and began hating himself and hitting himself, and his mother had to take him to another room and talk to him. Mister Rogers didn't leave, though. He wanted something from the boy, and Mister Rogers never leaves when he wants something from somebody. He just waited patiently, and when the boy came back, Mister Rogers talked to him, and then he made his request. He said, "I would like you to do something for me. Would you do something for me?" On his computer, the boy answered yes, of course, he would do anything for Mister Rogers, so then Mister Rogers said, "I would like you to pray for me. Will you pray for me?" And now the boy didn't know how to respond. He was thunderstruck. Thunderstruck means that you can't talk, because something has happened that's as sudden and as miraculous and maybe as scary as a bolt of lightning, and all you can do is listen to the rumble. The boy was thunderstruck because nobody had ever asked him for something like that, ever. The boy had always been prayed for. The boy had always been the object of prayer, and now he was being asked to pray for Mister Rogers, and although at first he didn't know if he could do it, he said he would, he said he'd try, and ever since then he keeps Mister Rogers in his prayers and doesn't talk about wanting to die anymore, because he figures Mister Rogers is close to God, and if Mister Rogers likes him, that must mean God likes him, too.

    As for Mister Rogers himself…well, he doesn't look at the story in the same way that the boy did or that I did. In fact, when Mister Rogers first told me the story, I complimented him on being so smart—for knowing that asking the boy for his prayers would make the boy feel better about himself—and Mister Rogers responded by looking at me at first with puzzlement and then with surprise. "Oh, heavens no, Tom! I didn't ask him for his prayers for him; I asked for me. I asked him because I think that anyone who has gone through challenges like that must be very close to God. I asked him because I wanted his intercession."

    (just _pasting_ that is enough to get me, sheesh)

    Was this Jeff Erlinger? The guy that got to surprise Mr.Rogers during his Induction?


    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Arson WellesArson Welles Registered User regular
    The soldiers coming home, and the dogs walking on grass almost got me, but I am starting to suspect I am merely a highly advanced machine, programmed to THINK it's a person. :)

Sign In or Register to comment.