As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - Sand, Part Eight

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited July 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    This story ark is great. By the way, Enslavers?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    spawned way too many overlords

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Aw, the AI didn't go nuts afterall, it probably just got damaged in the crash landing.

Hurrah for a sentient spaceship keeping it's shit together for once.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ThanatosiaThanatosia Registered User regular
    815165 wrote: »
    spawned way too many overlords
    Nah, you just can't see what's in their Ventral Sacks ^_^

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I hate when space jellyfish fuck up my flight.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    oh no, its the gnosis

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Reapers! Ohhhh shit!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Why do parts of space cephalopods dangle? There is no down. And given that they do, why not pick a formation that at least points in multiple directions. This is the Deep Crow's eyes all over again.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    Modred189Modred189 Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, but am I the only one that has absolutely no idea what is going on in this series? I mean, I get teh old west part, it makes some sense, but wth is going on with these future-organo-ship sequences?

Just kind of lost...

• Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    Spoiled for my conjecture:
    The cowboy who can't die is actually on the ship, and he's in a Matrix like dream. But now, the ship is under attack by things that want to eat it or something, and the module with the people in it had to be jettisoned for safety. I'm guessing now we'll pick up as they wake up from the dream state and can die for real, on a planet full of sand.

I'm probably wrong but that's just my read right now.

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Modred189 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but am I the only one that has absolutely no idea what is going on in this series? I mean, I get teh old west part, it makes some sense, but wth is going on with these future-organo-ship sequences?

Just kind of lost...

It seems like it's all about to come together.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    Modred189 wrote: »

Just kind of lost...

Well, the next panel will probably be the ending and will probably tie it all up. The space part happened before the "old west" part. The "old west" is actually an alien planet, and something that happened between the crash and the cowboy's arrest has something to do with the AI. I don't know everything in specific detail, but there have been a few people in other forum topics for previous pages that explain some of what happens.

• Options
    BolerBoler Registered User regular
    If they were going to do a 30 part series I wish they would have just done it on the side, instead of stretching out a story arc over two months. I don't mind things like this but it's hard to get invested in a short story where you can only read one page every other day.

• Options
    Lime-LightLime-Light Registered User new member
    Mysterious ship fleeing from alien overlords, ejects its inhabitants on a lone planet to escape. Is this fucking scientology?!

• Options
    ThunderChuckThunderChuck Registered User new member
    Has anyone else noticed this is clearly the story from Trigun? People from earth leave in search of a new world only to crash and lose everything and it becomes the wild west?

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    a
    Has anyone else noticed this is clearly the story from Trigun? People from earth leave in search of a new world only to crash and lose everything and it becomes the wild west?

It has been mentioned before. This "separate thread for each day" makes keeping all the questions answered difficult.

• Options
    ThunderChuckThunderChuck Registered User new member
    I figured but I was curious. Trigun is near the top of my favourite shows throughout the years so I don't mind seeing the similarities, but of course it's its own unique spin, having the immortal guy and those space... things that allow it to speak for itself. My gf thinks it's all a shared cryogenic sleep state when the cowboy stuff happens which I can also see happening.

• Options
    foodlefoodle Registered User regular
    A little too derivative of Trigun ...

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular

This seems like a pretty tenuous connection, given how prevalent the various elements are ("wild west in space", "leave earth to find a safer home", "cryogenic sleep to travel great distances"). Heck, Firefly could be argued to be about "people leave earth in search of new homes, only for terraforming to fail and things become the wild west". I'm not denying 100% the possibility of inspiration, but I do see a trend with animes where people claim everything with a similar aesthetic is a copycat, despite it being a tried-and-true formula being used by both (This got ridiculous in the case of Pacific Rim).

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I don't think the "shared cryo-dream" idea is very likely. Mike and Jerry have pretty clearly explained the concept of Sand already:

The arcship with its passengers in cryosleep crash-landed on this desolate planet...or it seems in this comic like the ship ejected its cargo of sleeping passengers and that was what crash-landed. The controlling AI went nuts or was damaged in the crash and began creating bizarre messiah-like figures as a result of misinterpretation of the Bible.

• Options
    GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    So I just went and read a synopsis of Trigun to see if we had inadvertently copied it. I think there are some initial similarities but I feel like the hook of our story is very different, THANK GOD. That would have been embarrassing.

Also thanks for the kind comments I'm really happy so many of you are enjoying it:)

• Options
    foodlefoodle Registered User regular
    Yay for regular looking noses!

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Gabriel wrote: »
    So I just went and read a synopsis of Trigun to see if we had inadvertently copied it. I think there are some initial similarities but I feel like the hook of our story is very different, THANK GOD. That would have been embarrassing.

Also thanks for the kind comments I'm really happy so many of you are enjoying it:)

I was just coming in to see if someone had pointed it out. Though I doubt our hero(?) has three guns, the spaceship, ai, and sand planet are all really similar. Good to hear it was by accident

• Options
    IntropyIntropy Registered User regular
    So who's the contact, and who's the antitype?

• Options
    WP - IanWP - Ian Registered User regular
    Gabe,
    Yea, If you're at all down with Anime, I'd highly recommend watching Trigun. It's one of my favorites and is a short concise 1 season long (on netflix too).

It's good to know that you haven't seen it since this arc does seem to have a lot of similarities. I'm excited to see where your story goes.

• Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Don't want to speculate, but maybe all passengers are kinda immortal, its just that the cowboy guy was the first who they tried to kill since they crashed.

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Oh good job. Crash landed in the middle of a Metroid colony.

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular

We are! (And you should read Trigun. In your copious spare time.)

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Why do parts of space cephalopods dangle? There is no down. And given that they do, why not pick a formation that at least points in multiple directions. This is the Deep Crow's eyes all over again.

Their ancestors were exclusively terrestrial. Their orientation is a psychological relic from their evolutionary history and still serves its function in reinforcing their herd mentality. It is also hypothesized that they're very sensitive to microgravity, as "down" frequently points to a moon or a nearby planet. The "dangling" is simply a comfortable resting position, as favored by their anatomy.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    What's "ther news" and why does Jerry keep posting about it?

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    Those things clearly just thought the ship was a female of their species and were attempting to mate with it.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

Hahaha, so you guys just accidentally duplicated the basic premise of a popular 90s anime?

That's pretty great, actually.

In any case, I'm excited to see how this all ends up. It's really great so far!

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    These things happen. After a few (dozen) millennia of storytelling, the memespace is pretty crowded. As some have said, "it's all been done before."
    Some of the best storytellers of our age got their rep not by doing anything "original", which is actually a damn high bar to clear, but by combining the familiar in new and interesting ways.
    Given this, it's inevitable that some people are going to end up having similar ideas without being at all aware of each other, just by drawing on the same common reference pool.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Gabe is using Twitter to take the temperature of readers on how quickly they should wrap up Sand:
    @cwgabriel
    informal poll: We are getting close to wrapping up Sand. How many more comics are you willing to give us until you want PA back. 1, 2, or 3?

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    So...basically...Xenogears. Hm.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    F0iQmW5.png

As many as you need! You're making me love the Sand world as much as I already love Lookouts and Automata.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Gabe is using Twitter to take the temperature of readers on how quickly they should wrap up Sand:
    @cwgabriel
    informal poll: We are getting close to wrapping up Sand. How many more comics are you willing to give us until you want PA back. 1, 2, or 3?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    So how long has he been in the cell? Three days? Hmmmm.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    F0iQmW5.png

As many as you need! You're making me love the Sand world as much as I already love Lookouts and Automata.

I agree, as many as you want.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    The hub really isn't the place to answer his twitter question, because Gabe and Tycho don't read the forums.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind