As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mlb]OMGMLBLOL

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited March 2014 in Social Entropy++
In the future, movies will be made about the legend that is Alex Rodriguez

arodsp.jpg

Never a rich man, Alex Rodriguez played baseball for the love of the game

Alex%20Rodriguez.jpg

Famous for his incredible work ethic, Alex Rodriguez played in a time when baseball was littered with doping and rampant cheating, yet he managed to do it the right way and stay clean his entire career.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQC84R8s0jJtM5bnBh_Osl9B9hFkLDvLHgFLgdFznzCfp37PDQXMg

Known for one of the manliest plays in postseason history, Alex Rodriguez is responsible for the new rule in baseball that allows you to attempt to knock the ball from a player who is trying to tag you out. A rule that revolutionized baseball.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRA1SAsAxNtaLIo2gUTJHAaH5i0siFVC0P3h9nhy-Lad_2mjeWk

So let's celebrate this man, this man who epitomizes everything great about the MLB. A man who will never have an equal. A man who was once fed popcorn by Cameron Diaz and dated Madonna.

cameron_diaz_arod.jpg

madonna-alex-rodriguez.jpg

As a father of two sons, I plan on using Alex Rodriguez as the ultimate role model for my kids. The perfect example of how to play the game right, and importanly, how to be a better man.

Thank you, Alex Rodriguez for giving me a person to look up to in this dark world.

Raijin Quickfoot on

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i forgot about the cameron diaz thing

i hear they are putting that in the next NFL Films Super Bowl Anthology dvd special

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    A-Rod's life is going down the shitter at a scarily rapid pace.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Meh, when you're worth the kind of money he's worth, I'm not sure you can say his life is going down the shitter. I'm fairly certain he could never play another game of baseball in his life and he'll be absolutely fine.

Wiping away his tears with $5,000 bills.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    8ZZEkEg.jpg

Meh, when you're worth the kind of money he's worth, I'm not sure you can say his life is going down the shitter. I'm fairly certain he could never play another game of baseball in his life and he'll be absolutely fine.

I'd give 50/50 odds of him being broke in a year or two if he's banned from baseball.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

I'd give 50/50 odds of him being broke in a year or two if he's banned from baseball.

I don't know. He never seemed like the guy to just blow all his money.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

Whenever anybody says how bad A-Rod's life is going, somebody inevitably says "oh yeah rich boy sure has a lot to be sad about".

Considering he has to have troubles walking with how much his body is deteriorating, the likeliness of him ever playing another game while still being 100% healthy or anything close to it aren't looking good, the odds of him playing a full season ever again look even less good, he's facing a lifetime ban from what he loves because he continues to say he did nothing wrong even when people close to the situation say his opponent has at minimum "hundreds" of pieces of evidence against him, and everything he's contributed in the past will likely never be recognized because at the very least he's going to have to wait to get into the Hall of Fame (if he even ever gets in) due to all the steroid allegations.

Money can't fix everything.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Look I know a lot of ball players go broke, even ones that are relatively highly paid but I don't think any of them made close to A-Rod money. The highest paid athlete to face bankruptcy that I can think of is Vick and federal prison certainly played a role in that.

Not saying it's impossible (I guess even Trump has faced personal bankruptcy) but it would take some remarkably bad decision making for A-Rod to go broke and it would certainly take more than a year or two. You can't really squander ~$500M in salary over 2 decades on cars and mansions. He'd have to lose some big money on bad business ventures or maybe some kind of a scam.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Butters wrote: »

Look I know a lot of ball players go broke, even ones that are relatively highly paid but I don't think any of them made close to A-Rod money. The highest paid athlete to face bankruptcy that I can think of is Vick and federal prison certainly played a role in that.

Not saying it's impossible (I guess even Trump has faced personal bankruptcy) but it would take some remarkably bad decision making for A-Rod to go broke and it would certainly take more than a year or two. You can't really squander ~$500M in salary over 2 decades on cars and mansions. He'd have to lose some big money on bad business ventures or maybe some kind of a scam.

isn't he one of the guys involved in those crazy private celebrity poker tournaments?

i can see it

he's not a smart man

plus he's probably spent millions on tampering with evidence

Whenever anybody says how bad A-Rod's life is going, somebody inevitably says "oh yeah rich boy sure has a lot to be sad about".

Considering he has to have troubles walking with how much his body is deteriorating, the likeliness of him ever playing another game while still being 100% healthy or anything close to it aren't looking good, the odds of him playing a full season ever again look even less good, he's facing a lifetime ban from what he loves because he continues to say he did nothing wrong even when people close to the situation say his opponent has at minimum "hundreds" of pieces of evidence against him, and everything he's contributed in the past will likely never be recognized because at the very least he's going to have to wait to get into the Hall of Fame (if he even ever gets in) due to all the steroid allegations.

Pretty sure he will still have a pretty solid life thanks to his million of dollars.

Pretty sure he will still have a pretty solid life thanks to his million of dollars.

He won't have to worry about money but he could still have a shit personal life if MLB won't allow him to keep doing what he loves.

edited July 2013
    "I'm in a wheelchair, everybody hates me, I'm banned from doing what I love and loved for over a decade, and I'm never getting into the HOF, ~but at least I still have money~"

Why do people think people think like this

Not everybody is Donald Trump. Alex Rodriguez isn't fighting this long for money, he is fighting to continue doing what he loves.

Sweeney Tom on
    "I'm in a wheelchair, everybody hates me, I'm banned from doing what I love and loved for over a decade, and I'm never getting into the HOF, ~but at least I still have money~"

Not everybody is Donald Trump

To be fair, it's hard for the "regular" person nowadays to have any sympathy for someone who's mega rich since so many people are struggling with money right now.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Darn. I was hoping the old thread would last another day so I could make The Ultimate Yasiel Puig Thread.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    genuinely forgot about a-rod's mariners days

I think some of you might be overestimating A-Rod's love for the game. His dedication has been questioned quite a bit the last few years. Tossing a ball with your phone number written on it to a cute spectator while playing bad enough to get yourself benched during a playoff series isn't exactly an example of a championship attitude. I have little doubt he'd like to get back on the field but I think partially restoring his image might have more to do with it than love of the game.

Not everybody is Donald Trump. Alex Rodriguez isn't fighting this long for money, he is fighting to continue doing what he loves.

This attitude might have something to do with A-Rod being a bit of a shithead in general not to mention a liar and a cheater.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Raijin finally taps into the oldest trick in the book for filling seats at ballparks around the country: mildly suggesting that people express their opinions on whoever the highest paid player on the Yankees is at the moment.

• AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    trump
    I think some of you might be overestimating A-Rod's love for the game. His dedication has been questioned quite a bit the last few years. Tossing a ball with your phone number written on it to a cute spectator while playing bad enough to get yourself benched during a playoff series isn't exactly an example of a championship attitude. I have little doubt he'd like to get back on the field but I think partially restoring his image might have more to do with it than love of the game.

This attitude might have something to do with A-Rod being a bit of a shithead in general not to mention a liar and a cheater.

exactly.

he chased the money his entire career. arod doesn't give two shits about winning a championship, he wants to another 27 million dollars.

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Gee, I hope some interesting trades happen today because it's been pretty damn boring so far.

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    What everybody should be worried about is that, should the Royals beat Minnesota tonight, they'll enter August 2 games over 0.500.

I'd cash in those life insurance policies if I were you, kids.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

Remember yesterday when @jonmorosi and I said that virtually all of the #Rangers were in play? List includes the newly acquired Matt Garza.

You may get your wish, Schide.

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    We'll see. There's also a rumor that the Pirates are in on Samardzija, which would be awesome, but I don't actually see happening. Also Schierholtz and DeJesus. Hell, may as ell just trade for the whole Cubs team.

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Twitter seems to have linked the Pirates with everyone at this point.

I have a feeling we won't get much more than a Nate Schierholtz...and uh...Michael Young? trade today.

Not much sexy out there on the market.

Maximum wrote: »

The writing (read: trolling) in these is worse than the figures he bemoans. "Mickel-sin, not Mickel-saint", "A-Roids", "Lyin Braun", "Johnny Goofball"? Peter King and First Take are more tolerable than this shit.

Treasure? Really?

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Schide wrote: »
    We'll see. There's also a rumor that the Pirates are in on Samardzija, which would be awesome, but I don't actually see happening. Also Schierholtz and DeJesus. Hell, may as ell just trade for the whole Cubs team.

They'd have to basically give the Cubs the Bucs farm system to pry Samardzija out of there, I think

• HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    I doubt Morneau gets moved

He hasn't had the power this year that teams want

The Rays are rumored to be pursuing Michael Morse

I think that is somewhat overkill but man that would be a hell of a move for them.

The writing (read: trolling) in these is worse than the figures he bemoans. "Mickel-sin, not Mickel-saint", "A-Roids", "Lyin Braun", "Johnny Goofball"? Peter King and First Take are more tolerable than this shit.

Treasure? Really?
    Every now and then, we will attempt to write the most infuriating sports column on earth.

It's intentionally terrible. I love them. It's like the worst Rick Reilly/Peter King nonsense boiled down to it's purest state.

For the record, I'm not saying money is everything. However, I've never got the impression ARod loves the game of baseball. I don't see him pouting because he can't play.

And if he's in a wheelchair the rest of his life... Well, there are inherent risks to roiding yourself up for so long, he took those risks, it made him as wealthy as he is now, and now he is going to pay the price. I don't wish harm on anyone, but he knew what he was getting into.

Treasure? Really?
    Every now and then, we will attempt to write the most infuriating sports column on earth.

It's intentionally terrible. I love them. It's like the worst Rick Reilly/Peter King nonsense boiled down to it's purest state.

We've had better quality trolling on these boards.

Treasure? Really?

We've had better quality trolling on these boards.

I'm assuming this post is an example of that, unless you genuinely don't understand that when the audience is in on it, it's satire

do you consider the onion to be trolling

"aren't popular sportswriters shit? This is an article that's like what they'd put out"

=/=

"this article was written in order to get you to bite on it and rage at its poor quality HAHA WE GOT YOU"

all of the baseball writing on grantland outside of jonah keri is basically disgusting

shane ryan is the worst offender

i don't know why they think being insufferable jackasses would be sustainable for.... multiple years day-in and day-out

trust me, I've done it

it doesn't make you popular

it's funny every now and then but i don't see how any sane person could read that kind of content every day

Ian Kennedy to the Padres for two dudes I've never heard of.

#blockbuster

Satire or not "A-Roid" is unforgivable.

Alex Fraudriguez

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I guess the Pirates also went after Mark Trumbo. Too bad the Angels are asking for a top pitching prospect for him, Kendrick, and Aybar.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
    edited July 2013
    The only good thing about this early game is it validates everything I said about last year being a fluke. How I wish the fluke would come back. We're going to be behind the Phillies in the division by Sunday at the latest. Sigh.

edit: Bud Norris to the Os

Sweeney Tom on
This discussion has been closed.