As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Saint's Row] Zoomer Retirement Financial Planner

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    2 and 4 get to be co-equal best entries because they are so different they are basically in separate genres.

• Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    Loved 3, Loved 4. Probably going to get this but it will be a couple months after it is out when I get a chance to read some reviews from the "I loved 3 and 4 crowd".

I have 3 categories for games I want :
    1) Preorder/Buy on release-This is rare.
    2) Buy a couple months after release when I've read some reviews and maybe its dropped by $10.
    3) Add to my wishlist so I get reminded when it goes on sale and I'll eventually get it when its cheap.

Borderlands was a 1 but the last entry moved it to a 2...Come on, I have high hopes for Tiny Tina's Wonderland.

Saint's Row should have been a 1 but much of what I've seen makes me wary so its a 2 and maybe a 3 depending on reviews.

. The gameplay looks great but I'm not sure I'm thrilled about the style choices and I'm scared the writing is not going to be good. I mean the writing was never going to win an award but it made me laugh. Its hard to make people laugh if you're terrified of offending people so we'll see.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Saint's Row would be a buy on release for me if it wasn't for the post-launch DLC.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Considering how common disastrous game launches have become, I’d say this is probably a good thing. The gameplay video they released had some rough edges.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    This is definitely one of those "good timing!" delays for me.

That part of the year is already packed and will probably get more packed soon as it's one of the two biggest release windows of the year.

And summer is historically less filled(last two years have had more summer releases which has been fantastic so I am super happy to see the trend continuing).

So having a big blockbuster lined up for summer is fantastic news.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    This is definitely one of those "good timing!" delays for me.

That part of the year is already packed and will probably get more packed soon as it's one of the two biggest release windows of the year.

And summer is historically less filled(last two years have had more summer releases which has been fantastic so I am super happy to see the trend continuing).

So having a big blockbuster lined up for summer is fantastic news.

My guess is that is probably a significant part of the reason behind the decision. Specifically, Eldin Ring

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Yeah, I wasn't going to buy the new Saints just one week after Horizon 2, so August works a lot better for me.

Of course, there's always a chance we get a bunch of games announced for or delayed to July/August and I just end up with another conflict.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Oh, and on the stream (second video) they say that pre-launch they will have a (free) build-your-own-boss app, which I believe you will then be able to import into SR when it launches.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Ah, that's an SR tradition that'll be good to have back.

• Options
    I always loved the customization options in these games. Looks like they dialed it up quite a bit. I will be bringing back my shirtless Terry Crews boss rocking a hot pink backpack with matching shorts and flip flops.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I still find it hilarious that all the loud hater noise on this game somehow thought there wasn't going to be main character customization when that's a series staple.

But man, I love that they even let you choose your own private part censorship in this. That's hilarious.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    People making baseless assumptions and losing their shit over an unreleased game is a time honored tradition going back decades.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Whats funniest is all the "im big fan of the series and this tone just doesn't match! This isn't saints row at all!"

When they are clearly referring to a single game in the series that was multiple entries ago... like yea... saints row as a series has changed with each entry and this is less crazy and silly than the most recent ones.

Looks really cool so far!

• Options
    I was expecting to hate this game but the customization videos piqued my interest. I mean It looks like I can play Lampshade Head riding a Ghost Pirate Ship! And in the end that's all I really wanted.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Whats funniest is all the "im big fan of the series and this tone just doesn't match! This isn't saints row at all!"

When they are clearly referring to a single game in the series that was multiple entries ago... like yea... saints row as a series has changed with each entry and this is less crazy and silly than the most recent ones.
    From what I recall back when we first started hearing about new Saints Row, some amount of the "muh not the right tone" complaints was just a fig leaf for the real reason of "I am a garbage person and this trailer doesn't validate my garbage beliefs"

Which is an unfortunately widespread thing these days. Like the people dunking on goose game for how dare they put politics into this over that one line at the end of the credits

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Wait why would people think CC wouldn't be in when it's been in literally every game?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Wait why would people think CC wouldn't be in when it's been in literally every game?

Probably a combination of gat out of hell and then agents of mayhem.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited April 2022

I thought they were going to make it "realistic" and "down to earth"; take out the absurdity to make a grounded game not that they wouldn't have customization. There is a difference in making 300 hats I can wear and letting me have serious conversations with a lampshade on my head. (around 4:51 in the first vid if you are wondering)

Riboflavin on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

From what I recall back when we first started hearing about new Saints Row, some amount of the "muh not the right tone" complaints was just a fig leaf for the real reason of "I am a garbage person and this trailer doesn't validate my garbage beliefs"

Which is an unfortunately widespread thing these days. Like the people dunking on goose game for how dare they put politics into this over that one line at the end of the credits

Yeah a lot of the uh..."discourse" about how this new game was bad was because it was "too woke" which is just the new garbage "too PC" for the new decade.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options

Because people love to make up reasons to hate things and get mad about video games with as little information as possible.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Honestly, there is only one Boss customization option I care about:

Will Laura Bailey be doing one of the FemBoss VO options?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Bring. Back. Russian. Boss.

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Yeah a lot of the uh..."discourse" about how this new game was bad was because it was "too woke" which is just the new garbage "too PC" for the new decade.

Some things are "Too Woke" or "Too PC" for my personal tastes. I understand though that some people are more sensitive than others. People like what they like.

My fear was they would hold back on humor for fear of offending people. I love Always Sunny and Southpark because they just go for it. Same with Rick and Morty. The whole "Devil gives him a Microscope, retarded joke" couldn't be done if they had to review each joke for offensiveness. If its funny , say it. There has been alot of things done in he past in SR that might raise red flags today and if you have to walk on tip toes humor gets watered down. I don't want them to care about offending anyone.

The crazy customization at least seems to be on point. It actually raised my enthusiasm a bit. I'll reserve judgement on the rest.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    The fun thing about the word "woke" is that when someone can't help but bring it up it really tells you all you need to know about engaging in conversation with them!

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Saints Row has never had issues being offensive in the past. I’m sure they won’t disappoint us in that regard. I was under the impression that the woke complaints had more to do with the early trailers showing a black woman as the boss and a diverse cast of main characters.

• Options
    Saints Row has never had issues being offensive in the past. I’m sure they won’t disappoint us in that regard. I was under the impression that the woke complaints had more to do with the early trailers showing a black woman as the boss and a diverse cast of main characters.

I'm sure that for some people that is their complaint. I can only speak for myself. I didn't want a grounded non offensive game. :-)

• Options
    Riboflavin wrote: »

I'm sure that for some people that is their complaint. I can only speak for myself. I didn't want a grounded non offensive game. :-)

To be fair, the new installment is being compared to the last few games. Which took place in hell and in a simulation run by aliens. I think grounded in this sense is relative.

Also it occurs to me that my comment may have come across as calling you racist. That wasn’t my intention.

• Options
    No troubles. I didn't see it that way.

I loved 3 and 4. I don't need aliens but can I at least get disarming a missile while its flying or fighting from a parachuting tank?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Yeah that's pretty much it. Any diversity at all = Too Woke

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Hmmm..."woke" is always an interesting complaint. It's basically the new "PC" in that it's says a lot while saying absolutely nothing.

Like I'm not sure how one measures how "woke" something is exactly.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Riboflavin wrote: »
    No troubles. I didn't see it that way.

I loved 3 and 4. I don't need aliens but can I at least get disarming a missile while its flying or fighting from a parachuting tank?

The trailer shows a pinata gun, dragging a wrecking ball behind your car to smash the pursuing fuzz, and using a catapult seat to launch you into the sky to fly across town.

I think we'll be fine.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    I mean goofy and offensive aren't really the same things.

Like SR4 was pretty goofy but not really all that offensive.

I think the most offensive part of SR3 was Zimos whole human trafficking thing which a lot of folks hated anyway...so...

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Hmmm..."woke" is always an interesting complaint. It's basically the new "PC" in that it's says a lot while saying absolutely nothing.

Sadly "inclusive" would be what is usually meant by it but saying woke instead makes it easier to hide behind.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

I think the most offensive part of SR3 was Zimos whole human trafficking thing which a lot of folks hated anyway...so...

Dildo bat? Streaking? Pretending to be a cop and murdering civilians for a reality tv show? Playing a bouncer for celebrities who is paid for how many drunk civilians you murder?

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Heffling wrote: »

Dildo bat? Streaking? Pretending to be a cop and murdering civilians for a reality tv show? Playing a bouncer for celebrities who is paid for how many drunk civilians you murder?

I mean dick jokes are more juvenile than offensive.

And the cop thing...I mean...>_>

That said since we're here what from the trailers made you assume that none of those things like that would appear in this game?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    The boss can be any color you like, as long as she is French.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    The boss can be any color you like, as long as she is French.

Suggestion for something that should be included: Laura Bailey voicing the boss in a French accent.

• Options

Sadly "inclusive" would be what is usually meant by it but saying woke instead makes it easier to hide behind.

I'm fairly conservative and I think a problem is everyone is there is no consensus as to what it means. I should host an ask an average conservative AMA ;-)

So sleight rant which probably shouldn't be in this thread, remove it if not appropriate. My Opinion:

Inclusiveness = great

1) gender/race changing established characters under the guise of inclusiveness = lazy and woke. Rhonda Rousey as Shaft or Jet LI as Blade would offend some people who love those characters, don't give me a switched James Bond.

In this case these are new characters, go for it. They could be entertaining.

2) If most of the Jokes are towards Republicans/White Males/Heterosexuals and no jokes towards liberals/gay/POC = woke

Southpark hits everyone. Everyone. Love them. Haven't seen enough of this game to make a call. Hope its funny all around and the action is good. Could you create the pony cart mission in a game today?

3) If message seems to be more important than entertainment=woke; Let me tell you about the evils of climate change/how bad police are/why your ideology is terrible while I am trying to find some escapism from my stress. No please. Please no. Just let me have some old fashioned escapism, the nutrition free candy of entertainment.

In relevance to this game please keep the police brutality jokes to a minimum.

That all being said everything I've seen recently makes me back on board the hype train. :-)