Options

[Saint's Row] Zoomer Retirement Financial Planner

1111112113114116

Posts

  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Yeah the city itself feels really small and I think almost half of it is empty desert. I appreciate they went for a different setting but I don’t feel like it totally works.

    And I am still genuinely disappointed with the radio. They brought the metal station back but no 80’s station and I hate that.

    Neco on
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    I'm only a few hours into the game (I got it on PS5 and only have an hour or two of gametime at night on the TV after the kids are in bed), but so far my initial impressions are mixed. I think like Neco and others have said, the setting is throwing me off. There's a lot of options for doing crazy Saints Row stuff, but it doesn't feel like a Saints Row game to me yet. Maybe it'll grow on me as the game progresses. In principle I love a game set in the South-West like this, so we'll see?

    I'm pretty meh about the new crew so far, but I'll give them time. Some of the old crew took a while to get likeable also.

    On the plus side, the opening mission definitely gives some good thrill ride moments, and the assassination side-missions that I've been doing have been suitably ludicrous.

    Then again, either way, I paid good money for this game, I'll definitely see it through to the end.

  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Ok so I've finished it.

    Overall verdict is if you can get it cheap, go for it.

    It's really short. Like I really don't feel I've done a great deal and it's over. I assume it's a time issue and they couldn't put as much in as intended because there are things in here which demonstrate a real love for what they're building, such as Eli's missions, but outside of the main missions the only content seems to be the criminal ventures, many of which are blocked off unless you fully complete other criminal ventures.

    The map is relatively tiny and there isn't a great deal going on. Running around is boring, the gaps between stores can be huge, I've still never been to a tatoo place just because they're out of the way and the only reason I might be on that side of the map is a mission, during which stores and other things are blocked off. Same with the phone. Some missions I thought hey I'll get my mates in on it, but you can't.

    I never really felt powerful with the weapons. The most powerful stuff like the rifle which can one hit even shielded enemies but you get very limited ammo for it. The rest of the weapons seem weak because enemies can be damage sponges, some will go down quick, others not. The combat CAN be interesting, there are a bunch of executions but even after finishing the game I'm not 100% what triggers them, I only tend to know I can when someone gets too close and is highlighted purple, and they put in a whole bunch of other kill animations for Eli's missions.

    It's genuinely funny, there are great and clever moments to it, but...

    Spoilers through to endgame
    There's only one boss. The Nahauli kills the other one and while it might come up as a side mission I've not had to kill the Idols leader, if there is one. You can kill or spare Atticus but he doesn't come back, and Gwen disappears, most of her content is in Eli's missions.

    I don't care about the friends. I don't. They're not my friends, they're not earned, they're already ride or die friends through to the end and they're not particularly interesting nor are their missions apart from Eli's, but that didn't make me like Eli because his missions centred around me. So the final missions revolving around saving them doesn't do anything for me. I see what the writers were going for but the missions don't back it up. I only ever called a friend once because I needed a car (because your car constantly despawns after a mission and I haven't found a way to get one delivered) and I don't recall any substantial dialogue. Maybe you can get them involved in some criminal ventures but not in the ones I did.

    The best customisation is robbed from us. The base upgrades on its own, there's not even an associated cost to it, one minute it's a shack and the next you complete a mission and the upgrade is complete. You have no say in how it looks, and there's no real reason to go inside. I never found the point of napping, I can change my clothes through my phone, and I can't get ammo from the weapon locker so it's only good for switching weapons, but once you've found a good set you never swap because the rest of the weapons are crap. There's not much dialogue inside and there are no real missions or interactions with my crew, so the near end mission where they're all dead didn't even elicit a shrug from me. They're props, nothing more.

    I feel like with a game this short and a map this small (massively inflated by the lake in the middle), it needed something more akin to Arkham Asylum, where your actions greatly alter the world around you, electronic adverts, posters, graffiti, more crew on the corners. Maybe these things DID happen or DO happen eventually but because it's a boring map I was generally flying about to get places faster. The radio doesn't even really mention the things we do unless it's part of the mission we're in and I only recall it happening once. Often you get in a car and the music isn't even on, and there didn't seem to be much talk radio.

    So it does feel like they ran out of time with a lot of things. Most missions will boil down to killing people, moving on, killing more people. Even the more creative setpieces will generally involve shooting something to progress.

    I can see why it gets lower ratings, though there is still decent content here and it doesn't deserve 6s or lower. I think they just give out too much stuff for free, and gatekeep other things with tedious activities. Having to complete all of the insurance scams and food truck thefts just to do the last mission was irritating.

    Also there are entire areas that are pointless and can only imagine they were cut for DLC. There's a whole Casino district and no casinos to go in.

    AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    GTA V had a casino through an entire console generation before they got around to adding it in game.

  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The lame customization options for your gang and hideout is incredibly disappointing.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    The lame customization options for your gang and hideout is incredibly disappointing.

    As far as I can tell, a lot of this is locked behind progress in the game.

    In fact, many things that people complain were missing appear to be progress-locked. Some of them probably shouldn't be (e.g., mix tape is only available after a certain point).

    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Alright so finally playing this to try out my XSX and... hmm.

    Yea this may actually be a 2/5 game.

    It feels like the game underneath without the bugs and glitches is just hitting 3/5 at best. Some absolutely pants on head design decisions.

    The entire UI is unfortunate.

    And just a perfect example of ??? Is the entire mission structure. You pick a mission from the menu to start. But it doesn't show you where the mission actually starts. And fast travel is completely turned off as soon as you pick a mission. So if its on the other side of the map you then abandon the mission, travel over then start it again. Just... what?

    The physics glitches can be pretty funny but also will absolutely fail missions for you.

    I dont know what it is about the helicopter but besides controlling like shit it attracts all the physics bugs. It seems like every bullet legit pushes it back. And occasionally will just fucking LAUNCH it.

    Also if there's a timer the timer doesn't show on screen? Huh? Made me turn off timed missions which is thankfully an option. Nothing quite like hearing "only 30 seconds left!" When you don't even realized you're being timed.

    I'll still run through the story at this point unless something more egregious happens. But yea... games got its issues for sure.

  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    And just a perfect example of ??? Is the entire mission structure. You pick a mission from the menu to start. But it doesn't show you where the mission actually starts. And fast travel is completely turned off as soon as you pick a mission. So if its on the other side of the map you then abandon the mission, travel over then start it again. Just... what?

    This and the timer issue shouldn't be like that. You sound like you're getting some real bad UI bugs.
    The physics glitches can be pretty funny but also will absolutely fail missions for you.

    Car + Notoriety + Bridge is almost always a death sentence.

    I found that the game is just lacks direction. It doesn't know what it wants to be or who it is for. They just assembled pieces of a Saint's Row game but forgot how to put them together. Which is a shame because I really liked some of those pieces.

  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Kinda sad the game sounds middling. Might try it when it drops down to $20 I guess.

  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »
    And just a perfect example of ??? Is the entire mission structure. You pick a mission from the menu to start. But it doesn't show you where the mission actually starts. And fast travel is completely turned off as soon as you pick a mission. So if its on the other side of the map you then abandon the mission, travel over then start it again. Just... what?

    This and the timer issue shouldn't be like that. You sound like you're getting some real bad UI bugs.
    The physics glitches can be pretty funny but also will absolutely fail missions for you.

    Car + Notoriety + Bridge is almost always a death sentence.

    I found that the game is just lacks direction. It doesn't know what it wants to be or who it is for. They just assembled pieces of a Saint's Row game but forgot how to put them together. Which is a shame because I really liked some of those pieces.

    Wait you can fast travel during missions? It straight up says on my screen its disabled when I try.

    Other than that yea the timer thing is likely a UI bug. Last night I started noticing all sorts of UI pieces would just.. vanish for a mission or three. And it was always different pieces too. Shits wacky haha.

    The one bug I'm getting now thats making me sad is that every time I get in a vehicle I have to re-enable my dual wield perk... which since the perk menu doesn't pause the game is REALLY annoying.

  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »
    And just a perfect example of ??? Is the entire mission structure. You pick a mission from the menu to start. But it doesn't show you where the mission actually starts. And fast travel is completely turned off as soon as you pick a mission. So if its on the other side of the map you then abandon the mission, travel over then start it again. Just... what?

    This and the timer issue shouldn't be like that. You sound like you're getting some real bad UI bugs.
    The physics glitches can be pretty funny but also will absolutely fail missions for you.

    Car + Notoriety + Bridge is almost always a death sentence.

    I found that the game is just lacks direction. It doesn't know what it wants to be or who it is for. They just assembled pieces of a Saint's Row game but forgot how to put them together. Which is a shame because I really liked some of those pieces.

    Wait you can fast travel during missions? It straight up says on my screen its disabled when I try.

    Other than that yea the timer thing is likely a UI bug. Last night I started noticing all sorts of UI pieces would just.. vanish for a mission or three. And it was always different pieces too. Shits wacky haha.

    The one bug I'm getting now thats making me sad is that every time I get in a vehicle I have to re-enable my dual wield perk... which since the perk menu doesn't pause the game is REALLY annoying.

    You just have to swap weapons back and forth.

    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »
    And just a perfect example of ??? Is the entire mission structure. You pick a mission from the menu to start. But it doesn't show you where the mission actually starts. And fast travel is completely turned off as soon as you pick a mission. So if its on the other side of the map you then abandon the mission, travel over then start it again. Just... what?

    This and the timer issue shouldn't be like that. You sound like you're getting some real bad UI bugs.
    The physics glitches can be pretty funny but also will absolutely fail missions for you.

    Car + Notoriety + Bridge is almost always a death sentence.

    I found that the game is just lacks direction. It doesn't know what it wants to be or who it is for. They just assembled pieces of a Saint's Row game but forgot how to put them together. Which is a shame because I really liked some of those pieces.

    Wait you can fast travel during missions? It straight up says on my screen its disabled when I try.

    Other than that yea the timer thing is likely a UI bug. Last night I started noticing all sorts of UI pieces would just.. vanish for a mission or three. And it was always different pieces too. Shits wacky haha.

    The one bug I'm getting now thats making me sad is that every time I get in a vehicle I have to re-enable my dual wield perk... which since the perk menu doesn't pause the game is REALLY annoying.

    You just have to swap weapons back and forth.

    Ohh ill try that. That would be a lot easier than going into the damn perk menu everytime, thanks!

  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Saint's Row is on sale on PSN for 25% off as of yesterday's store update. That's a 25% discount after only a month(ish) of time.

    This game is still on my radar, but only after word of some serious bug fixing and patches. And also even 25% discount is still too much for my own buy-now threshold. I'm probably holding out for more like a 60% or more to buy this one, given how buggy, broken, and poorly put together it sounds like it is.

  • Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    20$ is my triggerpoint after reading all the reviews even though it may be a few years.

    It makes me wish all these companies wishlists had a "buy at _______" function where I could automatically set it to buy if it hits that price because honestly I will likely forget about it by then.

    Riboflavin on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    I haven't had time to do a proper write-up yet (super busy at work), but I have completed the game. I really liked the new SR. 4/5 stars.

    I should preface by saying I'm on PC and have not experienced any bugs that went above "mild annoyance", and very few in that category, too. (Not discounting those who've suffered; I personally have not.)

    I found the new crew to be enjoyable goofballs, and new boss to be a violent sociopath puckish rogue.

    Santo Ileso is nice, more lively and varied than Steelport (I never cared for Stilwater, to be honest; lots of stuff to see but nothing to do there).

    Customization is great.

    Gameplay fun, if not quite as much as SR4 (best in series).

    Missions are fun, story on par with previous entries and kept light-hearted, which I like. No ludo-narrative dissonance or making me feel bad about playing a violent sociopath puckish rogue (unlike SR2).

    People are complaining about lack of cool car and gun abilities; they unlock as you play.

    Main complaints is that the more boring side activities have too many steps (toxic avenger, planet saints), that there are too few cute tops, that there weren't more LARP quests, and that there is no more game to play.

    [Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Riboflavin wrote: »
    20$ is my triggerpoint after reading all the reviews even though it may be a few years.

    It makes me wish all these companies wishlists had a "buy at _______" function where I could automatically set it to buy if it hits that price because honestly I will likely forget about it by then.
    isthereanydeal.com won't buy it for you, but you can add it it your waitlist and then "Edit" it to have a particular price threshold before isthereanydeal emails you.

    Corsini on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Deep Silver seems to lower the price of their successful games at a steady clip, so if the chatter of sales dropping off a cliff after the first week are to be believed, you probably won't be waiting long for $20. Chorvs seems to constantly be on sale.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Saint's Row in it's current shape isn't worth $20. And I say this as someone that pre-ordered it. I feel like all of the pieces are there to make a really good game, but it never came together well at all.

    Guns are anemic and inaccurate. When I am fighting and shoot an enemy with the burst file rifle, all 3 shots to the torso, it's not enough to kill them. And you have to be very lucky with the aim in this system to get all 3 shots on target. And the game likes to spawn half a dozen to dozen enemies who all rush you, so you can easily get overwhelmed because you just can't kill them fast enough.

    The healing mechanic of rushing up to an enemy and use a finishing melee attack was taken straight from Doom's reboot, but since the game isn't made for that fast pace style of content, trying to use the healing often just leads to me dead. Or if I succeed, I can take a big chunk of damage before I'm able to get back into cover.

    There's a side activity where you're riding around shotgun in a car used in a heist, and your objective is to protect the car. You can fight from inside, where you heal and the car takes damage. Or go on top, where you take damage instead of the car. Your car heals when you kill a cop car. The problem is in the couple of seconds for the animation of you climbing on top of the car, you can lose half your hp. Aiming is terrible and being on a moving car just makes it worse. And the cop cars like to drive in front of each other, so you can be shooting at one, another wizzes past, and the poor control assist will drag you off of your target to try and follow the closer car. So you miss out on the kill you needed to heal your car and boom, another retry.

    There are open ended races where you're trying to get to a location in a set time while cops chase you. But all you're given is the destination, so you're supposed to pick your own path. Except that the timer is based around following a very specific optimized path, so if you don't figure out the intended path (despite it being choose your own path), you will run out of time. Or you may hit a slight curb and watch your car take off like a rocket straight up. And the cop cars follow Mario Cart leashing rules, in that if you get ahead of them they will inevitably speed up faster than possible to catch up. And they absolutely will make turns that are physically impossible.

    The whole roommates thing is terribly executed. We're supposed to be friends, but we don't do anything that friends do. They have the VA for Johnny Gat playing one of the roomies, and I couldn't even tell you that roomies name because it's so forgettable.

  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Did you look into the settings, @Heffling ? You can change up most of what you complained about.

    I reduced enemy health, slightly increased my own health, and had timer at mid setting and never had any of the problems you describe. This isn't a "get good" thing; I suck so I changed the settings accordingly.

    As for the roomies, this is of course personal opinion, but I disagree. You have board game night, you have karaoke, you help Kev get a new copy of his favorite toy, help Nina with her car problems, and LARP with Eli. You take everyone on an evening of teambuilding fun… I thought they were all lovable goofballs.

    I never felt you did anything more with the old SR crew (other than that you had 4 games in which to do it).

    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I think they do a good job of selling their friendship with the Boss, but kinda fail to connect that to the actual player. A lot of that stems from how bad Kev and Nina's mission lines are. Kev has the problem that the Idols are barely developed as a gang so his missions feel unfocused. Nina's mission are just bizarre. Her first couple of missions feel like the ending of a longer mission line and then the game kinda knee-caps the rest for the main story.

  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    It's a bit bizarre to hear so many people be down on a game I had so much fun with.

    It feel like either I'm taking crazy pills or everyone else is.

    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    It's a bit bizarre to hear so many people be down on a game I had so much fun with.

    It feel like either I'm taking crazy pills or everyone else is.

    Nothing wrong with having fun with a game despite its issues! That doesn't make the issues not exist. Those are two completely different factors. Yes one can influence the other but one person talking about how much they like something and someone else talking about the issues with that thing are not having the same conversation.

    My favorite game is no where near any of the best games I've ever played. Its got piles of flaws. That doesn't make me love it or enjoy it any less.

    DemonStacey on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    It's a bit bizarre to hear so many people be down on a game I had so much fun with.

    It feel like either I'm taking crazy pills or everyone else is.

    Nothing wrong with having fun with a game despite its issues! That doesn't make the issues not exist. Those are two completely different factors. Yes one can influence the other but one person talking about how much they like something and someone else talking about the issues with that thing are not having the same conversation.

    My favorite game is no where near any of the best games I've ever played. Its got piles of flaws. That doesn't make me love it or enjoy it any less.

    Issues like bugs etc is one thing. That I understand. I'm lucky that didn't affect me.

    But sentiments like "this is a soulless cash grab with unlikable characters and boring game play" from people who liked previous SR games is weird.

    Or "enemies are bullet sponges" when there's a specific setting for bulletsponginess running from "one shot one kill" to "you'll run out of bullets before they run out of health".

    [Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    One thing I really do like and I hope the next GTA has systems like this is how a lot of stuff gets unlocked via the various ventures. A good way to keep from giving the player too much at once while making the side stuff extra rewarding.

  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I'm just worried the internet crybabies will kill SR like they killed ME:Andromeda.

    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I'm just worried the internet crybabies will kill SR like they killed ME:Andromeda.

    This is not a reasonable sentiment in the slightest. "Everyone who doesn't spend their time and money like I do is a CRYBABY." Come on, son.

  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea what you should be saying is that you are hoping volition didn't kill Saints Row by not giving it the time and budget it deserved to be all it could have been.

    What's most frustrating will be all the "see woke sux lolol" goobers still harping on that despite that being completely unrelated to the issues.

    This didn't need to be some 5/5 chart topper or anything but they still fell short of what it could have very reasonably been.

  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I'm just worried the internet crybabies will kill SR like they killed ME:Andromeda.

    This is not a reasonable sentiment in the slightest. "Everyone who doesn't spend their time and money like I do is a CRYBABY." Come on, son.

    You are misreading my sentiment.

    A lot of people who've voiced their opinions (not many on this forum, but other places) complain that it's not SR2, that it's woke, that the the crew is too "millennial", that the game changed too much or too little… these are the crybabies.

    And then others jump on the "let's hate this thing it's popular to hate" and the whole thing spirals and I'll never get another SR game.

    I'm not saying I'm entitled to other people spending time and money on something they (for "good" or "bad" reasons) don't want to.

    But I feel I'm allowed to be sad that a thing I like will shortly no longer exist for reasons beyond my control.

    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    An analogy: I can't talk about Star Wars with anyone anymore because it inevitably and immediately becomes a "let's all hate on the ST" and
    a) I don't need that negativity
    b) I love the ST (5/5 stars for both TLJ and Skywalker)
    c) I worry that Disney's future output will contain less of the stuff I like and more of the stuff I dislike

    And now SR will suffer the same fate and I'll have to stay away from all discussion of that, too and I'll never get to goof around with Kev or Nina or Eli or anything new SR again.

    [Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Yea what you should be saying is that you are hoping volition didn't kill Saints Row by not giving it the time and budget it deserved to be all it could have been.

    What's most frustrating will be all the "see woke sux lolol" goobers still harping on that despite that being completely unrelated to the issues.

    This didn't need to be some 5/5 chart topper or anything but they still fell short of what it could have very reasonably been.

    They took the series in a direction I don't see how is meaningfully different from previous SR games, and fans of previous SR games have now all jumped on the "new SR is the worst ever and the series is dead to me and should be dead to everyone else forever" bandwagon.

    Or that's how it feels.

    No excuses for the bugginess; I'm miffed about the (to me) weird complaints about the game that have nothing to do with the bugs and that this might be it for the series.

    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Everything you are comparing this to makes it feel like you may really be completely missing what's going on here.

    This isn't like any of other things you are mentioning. I think you are crossing the pre-release goobers with the actual issues here.

    This game has many technical and design issues. The blame for that is solely on the folks in charge. Blaming the end users here or putting any of what happens from here on them makes no sense at all.

  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm just worried the internet crybabies will kill SR like they killed ME:Andromeda.

    Uh... they didn't? ME: Andromeda still exists. Not to mention EA is making another Mass Effect game.

    It's totally okay for people to not like a game you liked, and vice versa. Life will go on.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I could ask what is going on here, then.

    I shall not.

    This feels like the SW threads all over again, and I can't deal with that. I'm out.

    New SR 4/5 stars.

    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    At this point I think ya just gotta kinda know that maybe you don't happen to be the kind of person who notices technical issues as much.

    Nothing wrong with that! Heck sometimes its a blessing. Lets you have more fun with certain things. Like how I don't notice 30fps unless I have a direct comparison. Which is awesome because that means a game in 30fps doesn't detract from my enjoyment.

    But don't put that on other people. Thats a you thing thats just good to know about yourself and probably good to consider when looking at other reviews of things because you just aren't going to be seeing or looking at the same things as others.

    DemonStacey on
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Or "enemies are bullet sponges" when there's a specific setting for bulletsponginess running from "one shot one kill" to "you'll run out of bullets before they run out of health".

    Just because I can balance the devs' game for them doesn't mean I should have to. That's their job.

    3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    My actual New Saints Row hot take is that the Toxic Waste truck missions are the best activity in the game.

  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Alright officially finished.

    Would definitely recommend doing the special mission at the end. Totally worth it. Probably my fav part of the game.

    Overall I'm sticking to the 2/5. Not that there isn't fun to be had. It was almost the goofy dumb 3/5 I was looking for.

    But between just too many bugs, including those that will absolutely fail missions, theres also too many parts cobbled together poorly. Any few of them alone would be reasonable enough but it just feels like I never got the time to stop thinking about them because they reared their head at every corner.

    DemonStacey on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Alright officially finished.

    Would definitely recommend doing the special mission at the end. Totally worth it. Probably my fav part of the game.

    Overall I'm sticking to the 2/5. Not that there isn't fun to be had. It was almost the goofy dumb 3/5 I was looking for.

    But between just too many bugs, including those that will absolutely fail missions, theres also too many parts cobbled together poorly. Any few of them alone would be reasonable enough but ot just feels like I never got the time to stop thinking about them because they reared there head at every corner.

    The shame is I really like this version of the boss and the humour in the first few missions regarding him is really solid, it's a shame it's in such a piss poor game. Building the Saints up is so unrewarding, everything is done for you and why would I go out of my way to collect an outhouse or something to display when I never go in there because I can change my clothes on the fly?

  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Alright officially finished.

    Would definitely recommend doing the special mission at the end. Totally worth it. Probably my fav part of the game.

    Overall I'm sticking to the 2/5. Not that there isn't fun to be had. It was almost the goofy dumb 3/5 I was looking for.

    But between just too many bugs, including those that will absolutely fail missions, theres also too many parts cobbled together poorly. Any few of them alone would be reasonable enough but ot just feels like I never got the time to stop thinking about them because they reared there head at every corner.

    The shame is I really like this version of the boss and the humour in the first few missions regarding him is really solid, it's a shame it's in such a piss poor game. Building the Saints up is so unrewarding, everything is done for you and why would I go out of my way to collect an outhouse or something to display when I never go in there because I can change my clothes on the fly?

    I think it's probably a 3/5 game for me too. There's enough goofy Saints Row stuff that I'm enjoying my playthrough, and will probably go for the Platinum trophy on PS5 for it, but I'm definitely frustrated by the broken, buggy challenges, too many collection things, missing features (not being able to recruit random saints to your crew is a ridiculous feature to cut, and the radio stations are weaksauce) and especially what feels like lazy, hamfisted writing of both your crew and the enemy gangs.

    Compare your crew in new SR to just your crew in SR2 if that was your first Saints Row game. There was compelling character changes and growth for both Shaundi and Gat, and a lot of humor for Pierce. New SR crew gives a good story for... um... Nerd Boy (Eli) basically, who at least tries to go from smart but useless in a fight to smart and semi-useful (kind of like SR2 Shaundi's improvements). Plus he gets the best character missions. The other two give us a bit of tragic backstories, but that's about it. Neenah is supposed to be a driving badass, but we only see that once.

    Then there are the enemy factions. Past games gave us memorable factions, and bosses that you wanted to take down just to see them get their final commupance. This one gives us Spraypaint Antifa (The Idols), Wish.com's version of SR2's The Brotherhood (the Panteros), and the most fleshed out faction a paramilitary security organization which, in a bold casting choice never before seen in video games, is run by an old white guy in a cowboy hat (Marshall Security).

    And we're motivated to engineer the destruction of these three factions because
    Marshall fired us after we screwed up our security gig for them,
    Panteros destroyed Neenah's precious car (see tragic backstory) after she left, and
    The Idols are anarchist assholes (okay, THAT reason I can get behind).

    Compare that to the villains from SR1, 2, or 3.

    It feels like the writers went for the most middling, safe plot options, trying desperately to make characters that would offend no one, and cooked up exactly the kind of bland, mediocre fodder that you get when you don't bother to put any seasoning on your cooking.

    Truthfully, I do hope that they put out some good DLC, (since I bought an edition with a season pass), and I hope the game does well enough that they get another game to really flesh out the new crew. There's bones of a good game in here, but the meat needed to marinate longer. (I think I need to stop writing when I'm hungry. Now I need to go fire up the grill).

    shdwcaster on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    My biggest letdown, mostly because of how excited I got when I first unlocked it, was the custom Playlist.

    Without the ability to shuffle, skip tracks or hell... even start playing from any spot makes it useless in a way that i really am impressed it was implemented like that haha. I was so happy spending time setting up a cool mix station... only to find out its implemented so poorly id never use it again!

Sign In or Register to comment.