Options

[Saint's Row] Zoomer Retirement Financial Planner

1111112113114115117»

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    Alright officially finished.

Would definitely recommend doing the special mission at the end. Totally worth it. Probably my fav part of the game.

Overall I'm sticking to the 2/5. Not that there isn't fun to be had. It was almost the goofy dumb 3/5 I was looking for.

But between just too many bugs, including those that will absolutely fail missions, theres also too many parts cobbled together poorly. Any few of them alone would be reasonable enough but ot just feels like I never got the time to stop thinking about them because they reared there head at every corner.

The shame is I really like this version of the boss and the humour in the first few missions regarding him is really solid, it's a shame it's in such a piss poor game. Building the Saints up is so unrewarding, everything is done for you and why would I go out of my way to collect an outhouse or something to display when I never go in there because I can change my clothes on the fly?

I think it's probably a 3/5 game for me too. There's enough goofy Saints Row stuff that I'm enjoying my playthrough, and will probably go for the Platinum trophy on PS5 for it, but I'm definitely frustrated by the broken, buggy challenges, too many collection things, missing features (not being able to recruit random saints to your crew is a ridiculous feature to cut, and the radio stations are weaksauce) and especially what feels like lazy, hamfisted writing of both your crew and the enemy gangs.

Compare your crew in new SR to just your crew in SR2 if that was your first Saints Row game. There was compelling character changes and growth for both Shaundi and Gat, and a lot of humor for Pierce. New SR crew gives a good story for... um... Nerd Boy (Eli) basically, who at least tries to go from smart but useless in a fight to smart and semi-useful (kind of like SR2 Shaundi's improvements). Plus he gets the best character missions. The other two give us a bit of tragic backstories, but that's about it. Neenah is supposed to be a driving badass, but we only see that once.

Then there are the enemy factions. Past games gave us memorable factions, and bosses that you wanted to take down just to see them get their final commupance. This one gives us Spraypaint Antifa (The Idols), Wish.com's version of SR2's The Brotherhood (the Panteros), and the most fleshed out faction a paramilitary security organization which, in a bold casting choice never before seen in video games, is run by an old white guy in a cowboy hat (Marshall Security).

And we're motivated to engineer the destruction of these three factions because
    Marshall fired us after we screwed up our security gig for them,
    Panteros destroyed Neenah's precious car (see tragic backstory) after she left, and
    The Idols are anarchist assholes (okay, THAT reason I can get behind).

Compare that to the villains from SR1, 2, or 3.

It feels like the writers went for the most middling, safe plot options, trying desperately to make characters that would offend no one, and cooked up exactly the kind of bland, mediocre fodder that you get when you don't bother to put any seasoning on your cooking.

Truthfully, I do hope that they put out some good DLC, (since I bought an edition with a season pass), and I hope the game does well enough that they get another game to really flesh out the new crew. There's bones of a good game in here, but the meat needed to marinate longer. (I think I need to stop writing when I'm hungry. Now I need to go fire up the grill).

I think the best thing they could do is to make DLCs that focus's on each of your friends. Fleshing them out is the single thing that would add to the game the most.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    It's been like 8 months since release, but the DLC Content Roadmap was released a few hours ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEbeZORbR7s

video sucks for rapid transmission of concrete data, so:

April - Dead Island 2 cosmetic pack (DI2 drops in April)
    May - New district, combat overhaul (free); The Heist & The Hazardous new missions and events for Expansion Pass holders
    July - "New features and improvements" (free); Doc Ketchum's Murder Circus (xpass)
    August - New district, "new features, improvements" (free); new story missions, enemies, cosmetics (xpass)

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, presumably in August it comes to Steam

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I'd be willing to revisit the game to see what they changed. A combat overhaul at least is something the game really needs. New districts is weird because the game wasn't lacking for generic open world activities. Also, I wonder where they would actually fit on the map.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Well..... fuck.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Saint's Row 2022 had the whole "Yah, that just happened. This is my life now" style of writing and the development studio was shut down.

Forspoken had the whole "Yah, that just happened. This is my life now" style of writing and the development studio was shut down.

Coincidence? Let this be a cautionary tale to all aspiring game studios out there.

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Saint's Row 2022 had the whole "Yah, that just happened. This is my life now" style of writing and the development studio was shut down.

Forspoken had the whole "Yah, that just happened. This is my life now" style of writing and the development studio was shut down.

Coincidence? Let this be a cautionary tale to all aspiring game studios out there.

What?

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    AkimboEG wrote: »

What?

I can't speak to exactly what @Lucascraft meant but I think I understand. I noped out of Forespoken the second I heard the character speak. The Saint's Row crew struck me as the kind of kids I wouldn't want to hang out with. Don't bet your studio on unappealing characters if there isn't a great game to back it up.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    While I agree that that style of writing is obnoxious, Volition was already in bad shape before Saints Row. Gat Outta Hell and especially Agents of Mayhem did not do well

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Also Embracer was really counting on that infusion of Saudi money and when that didn't happen...

Well, let's just say that Volition is probably going to be joined by many other studios soon enough.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    The "sincerity is cringe" writing style might be the worst thing to ever happen, but it alone won't tank a studio.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    While I agree that that style of writing is obnoxious, Volition was already in bad shape before Saints Row. Gat Outta Hell and especially Agents of Mayhem did not do well

Yeah, I'm surprised Volition even lasted this long, they haven't released something worthwhile in, what, ten years?

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

The whole THQ implosion would have wiped out Volition without the buyout some years back. The whole Embracer thing gave them enough of a lifeline to try one more game.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Well, we still have Saints Row 2.

And for what it's worth, I hate that 'cringe' style of writing if that's what it's called.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Well, we still have Saints Row 2.

And for what it's worth, I hate that 'cringe' style of writing if that's what it's called.

It's like when you downplay or insult something you like but know other people might mock, because you don't have the confidence to admit you enjoy it sincerely

but when the downplay is coming from inside the house, why would anyone even want to give your story time

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    ...what?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    ...what?

...I was musing on the flaws of that writing style?

I'm not sure what's confusing here.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

When a game underperforms, the whole studio gets shut down, and that makes sense?

...Except that when games do extremely well, massive layoffs still occur like clockwork.

The industry is fucked six ways to Sunday because of the bastards at the top who just care about profit margins going up every quarter, and screw anyone who thinks this sort of thing is just desserts for developers not meeting sales expectations.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

When a game underperforms, the whole studio gets shut down, and that makes sense?

...Except that when games do extremely well, massive layoffs still occur like clockwork.

The industry is fucked six ways to Sunday because of the bastards at the top who just care about profit margins going up every quarter, and screw anyone who thinks this sort of thing is just desserts for developers not meeting sales expectations.

It wasn't one game that underperformed, it was like 3 in a row. If the studio isn't making money, it's a matter of time until it gets shut down, unless it's Valve, in which case they can fuck around forever and it doesn't matter because they have a 30% tax on the entire PC gaming market.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

It wasn't one game that underperformed, it was like 3 in a row. If the studio isn't making money, it's a matter of time until it gets shut down, unless it's Valve, in which case they can fuck around forever and it doesn't matter because they have a 30% tax on the entire PC gaming market.

"Underperform" doesn't mean "isn't making money"

• Options

"Underperform" doesn't mean "isn't making money"

A former coworker related to me a story of some high muckety muck at Intel who told him that unless whatever project is making least 8% year over year net returns, it's not worth funding because they can get that money with less effort by shoving it into the market. The same applies here. Break-even isn't sufficient. 1% margins aren't sufficient (because they'll be evaporated if the next game flops). I haven't looked at the financials, but I can believe that the last 3 games didn't make enough profit over personel, physical plant, and marketing costs to be worthwhile.

• Options
    You aren't going to convince me that the fucking venture capitalist firm is somehow justified in shuttering the whole damn studio.

• Options
    You aren't going to convince me that the fucking venture capitalist firm is somehow justified in shuttering the whole damn studio.

Without looking at the financials neither of us can say, but hell, they almost got shuttered before they got picked up by Embracer at the last minute.

I don’t know if it’s justified or not, but performance is such that it’s plausible it’s justified.

Similar to how none of us should be surprised if BioWare gets shuttered by EA. They’ve made a number of business errors (some seemingly EA caused, but others internal to BioWare) and closing down is what happens unless you can prune back enough to survive.

And you can only prune so far back for a AAA studio before the product just doesn’t meet expectations for appearance or quality.

Does it suck? Absolutely, especially for the employees.

At this point I’m disappointed but unsurprised. I enjoyed saints rows 2, 3, and 4. The fundamental concept was fun. The gameplay never really evolved though, and that became a boat anchor.

Oh well.

• Options

Without looking at the financials neither of us can say, but hell, they almost got shuttered before they got picked up by Embracer at the last minute.

I don’t know if it’s justified or not, but performance is such that it’s plausible it’s justified.

Similar to how none of us should be surprised if BioWare gets shuttered by EA. They’ve made a number of business errors (some seemingly EA caused, but others internal to BioWare) and closing down is what happens unless you can prune back enough to survive.

And you can only prune so far back for a AAA studio before the product just doesn’t meet expectations for appearance or quality.

Does it suck? Absolutely, especially for the employees.

At this point I’m disappointed but unsurprised. I enjoyed saints rows 2, 3, and 4. The fundamental concept was fun. The gameplay never really evolved though, and that became a boat anchor.

Oh well.

It's mixed for the employees IMO. Given that in the US, the federal government targets a 2% inflation rate per year, I need an annual raise above that to feel like I'm progressing in my career. And that's on top of increasing healthcare insurance costs as I grow older and more decrepit. If my company isn't beating its previous year's profits by at least 2.1% + whatever the increase in healthcare costs are, I'm likely to be worse off. And that's not even taking into account the much higher than average inflation we've dealt with in the US in the past year. Staying at a company that isn't able to keep up with the increasing economic needs of its employees doesn't benefit the employees long term even if it's less stressful than job hunting IMO. And as much as I enjoyed SR2-4 and Gat Out of Hell, Volition just didn't seem able to keep generating enough revenue to pay its employees what they're worth. In its 30 years, starting as Parallax, it made some really memorable games but if it isn't able to provide for its employees and create great games then I do question its point.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I'm enjoying the new one. It isn't perfect, by any means, but it has its charms.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular

Yeah, I'm surprised Volition even lasted this long, they haven't released something worthwhile in, what, ten years?

I will say that Agents of Mayhem had a lot of charm and character - and it should have been a coop game. I will never understand why they thought that what they had was built for single player gameplay

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options

I will say that Agents of Mayhem had a lot of charm and character - and it should have been a coop game. I will never understand why they thought that what they had was built for single player gameplay

I think Volition had a tendency to not fully understand what their games were going to do really well and where they would falter.
    Stuff like saying they didn't want to add a cover system for the player in SR3 because they wanted combat to feel more arcadey and actiony when in reality the enemies were just really bullet sponges.
    Or how Red Faction: Guerilla was likely intended as an action game that featured environmental destruction but the advice given is to play it on easy to just enjoy the environmental destruction because all the action bits suck.

Steam Profile