As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VALVE STEAM. STEAM OS. STEAM MACHINES. 48 HOURS REMAIN.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    on the bright side, now you have an excuse to replay Sleeping Dogs

That's what I keep telling myself to keep the noose from my neck.

Also haven't played Year of the Snake or Nightmare yet, so there's that.

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Kerbal is one of those games that I love to hear about other people playing, but have no desire to play for myself

TheySlashThemFlatEricel_vicioWyborn
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Kerbal is one of those games that I love to hear about other people playing, but have no desire to play for myself

That's what Dwarf Fortress is for me

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    JayKaosFishmanFyndirTheySlashThemMetalbourneA Dabble Of Theloniusel_vicioBrainleechTrippyJingYaYa
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's way out of my "could be neat" price range, but I'd pick it up on sale.

sarukun
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    well

i have to go clean the shit out of my pants from my first encounter with a nightkin in New Vegas

haven't jumped that hard in a game since the oooold X-Com games

Darth WaiterDonovan PuppyfuckerSkylarkcaptainkPlatyMysstTrippyJing
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    I need a new PC badly.

I should probably keep saving for a new car first, though.

Darth Waiter
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Super House of Dead Ninjas is kinda like Strider so A+++++++++++++++++++

6F32U1X.png
    Professor Snugglesworth
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Super House of Dead Ninjas is kinda like Strider so A+++++++++++++++++++

No way I'm getting that new DLC though.

It costs more than what I paid for the game during the sale.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Damn you green man gaming, why you gotta have a sonic racing sale just after i had to pay my internets bill.

how long does the sale last?

there doesn't seem to be a countdown like steam has

• Lord HomsarLord Homsar Lord of Hammers Registered User regular
    Damn you green man gaming, why you gotta have a sonic racing sale just after i had to pay my internets bill.

how long does the sale last?

there doesn't seem to be a countdown like steam has
    I dunno, GMG is kinda vague about end dates occasionally.

steam_sig.png
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    someone named Unknown gifted me RPG maker

whoever you are thank you!

I'll do my best to put it to good use

SpoitDoobhpookael_vicioTrippyJing
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Shabooty apparently got gifted extra copies of RPG Maker.

So now I have it.

Challenge accepted.

IKknkhU.gif
    Spoitel_vicio
  • IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    All games made in rpg maker have to have sweet hats.

It is known.

xet8c.gif
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    yeah, I somehow missed that little detail

I got gifted an entire 4-pack of rpg maker

and was told to gift the rest to someone I like

and so i did

give them to snerky pharezon and stilts

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Now I just have to think of something to make.

Keep it simple for my first game.

Maybe I'll look through the resources and get inspired by something.

IKknkhU.gif
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Hey, a groupees bundle with trading cards!

https://groupees.com/doujin

EDIT: I guess they're not worth a billion dollars anymore! But still... trading cards.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yay, this should bring the prices for it's cards down to a sane level!

steam_sig.png
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I know exactly what I want to make in RPG maker, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Writing a script is easy, but I can't really build the game without a decent Tactics-Style mechanic in place.

Miss me? Find me on:

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Finally got a SSTO spaceplane into a stable orbit.
    It's an absolute mess of air intakes and oddly shaped wings(so I could fit more air intakes) but it made it up with about 5% fuel to spare.
    Of course I forgot to put solar panels on it so every time I have to use the SAS it gets slightly closer to becoming essentially nonfunctional.
    It has a docking port so maybe when I refuel it I'll leave something with a couple solar panels attached.

Doobh
    premium wrote: »
    It's an absolute mess of air intakes and oddly shaped wings(so I could fit more air intakes) but it made it up with about 5% fuel to spare.
    Of course I forgot to put solar panels on it so every time I have to use the SAS it gets slightly closer to becoming essentially nonfunctional.
    It has a docking port so maybe when I refuel it I'll leave something with a couple solar panels attached.

Yeah, I've been struggling with my bloody space plane. It's the freaking main engine that had been giving me a headache.

So then I said "Fuck it" and started working on a cooler space ship design. And I mean a fucking spaceship. I don't use the runway- I hover up, aim upwards, and blast the main engines on.

Miss me? Find me on:

Erin The Red
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Now I just have to think of something to make.

Keep it simple for my first game.

Maybe I'll look through the resources and get inspired by something.

SE++ the RPG.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

KilroyTheySlashThem
    Dubh wrote: »

Yeah, I've been struggling with my bloody space plane. It's the freaking main engine that had been giving me a headache.

So then I said "Fuck it" and started working on a cooler space ship design. And I mean a fucking spaceship. I don't use the runway- I hover up, aim upwards, and blast the main engines on.

What are you using for engines?
    I ran with 2 turbojets and a single atomic rocket engine. Had enough air intakes that the turbojets didn't flame out until somewhere around 25-27km, started the rocket engine up at around 21km since it's almost at max efficiency that high up.

ManishtushuDoobh
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    You might be able to just use the turbojets to accelerate your craft up to a speed where scramjets will work to get into the upper limits of the atmosphere.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    It's way out of my "could be neat" price range, but I'd pick it up on sale.

Like I keep saying Kerbal Space Program is worth every fucking dime they want for it

• ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Like I keep saying Kerbal Space Program is worth every fucking dime they want for it

I paid full price for it 3 days before it went on sale for half price and I didn't even give a shit.

Even if they didn't develop this game any further it'd still be worth what I paid for it.

BahamutZERO
  • marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I have been getting my rockets out to 100km to try and create a low orbit around Kerbin, but by the time the orbit is starting to take shape I am so far past my apoapsis that I am back in the dang atmosphere.

I am the worst rocket scientist.

marty_0001 on
    Yeah, don't start your burn at the apoapsis. At least half the time of the burn before you reach it.

Damn it, now I need to start playing again. I really want to try launching a rocket from a space plane, and I have that whole fuelling station idea that I was too useless to get working.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    That is fun to have a combo plane/rocket but then most of the time I have built a manned bomb and only a smirk of o well as the plane bursts into flames and falls to the ground

What I like about my plane/rocket is that even when it's successful the plane still bursts into flame and explodes.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    Tef wrote: »
    pooka wrote: »
    finished Riven last week, started and finished Machinarium this weekend, started Bastion earlier. puzzlepuzzleRPG? this isn't counting the filler Audiosurf and Beat Hazard sessions, of course. finally getting through the backlog!

On dude, what did you think of machinarium? I played it recently and it was awesome! I did have to cheat and look up how to finish on puzzle in the arcade room because I got stuck on it for like two days

it is really cute and charming and i am far too dumb for the later bits of it. i apparently need my puzzles way more apparent than implied. plus i was overthinking a few of them, heh. it also took me awhile to realize that i could use the keyboard for the arcade games and not just the mouse, which meant for some fiendish-quick movements, lemme tell ya. i already loved the soundtrack, and had played Samorost 2. those games are definitely worth playing, moreso if you have the patience to figure out what you've missed and thus, the puzzle.

I'll have to check out Samorost; I've not even heard of it until just now. I loved, loved, loved Botanicula which is made by the same dudes and well worth checking out if you likes machinarium

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke

I ran with 2 turbojets and a single atomic rocket engine. Had enough air intakes that the turbojets didn't flame out until somewhere around 25-27km, started the rocket engine up at around 21km since it's almost at max efficiency that high up.

That's exactly the same engine configuration I used. However, I did NOT realize that extra air intakes would do that for me. This changes everything (Thank you!)

Miss me? Find me on:

That's exactly the same engine configuration I used. However, I did NOT realize that extra air intakes would do that for me. This changes everything (Thank you!)

Since the air magically teleports itself into the engine rather than needing a direct path and the combustion itself is only crudely simulated, if you have enough intakes you can basically make your turbojet pretend to be a scramjet.
    I have the equivalent of about 11 ram intakes to get up that high, after that the engines lose thrust rapidly but you can stop them from flaming out completely by playing with the throttle for a little bit longer. You want to build up as much velocity as possible before making a full switch to rocket power. I think I was hitting around 1400-1500m/s horizontal and ~200m/s vertical velocity before I completely cut out my turbojets.

Got my spaceplane refuelled and parked in orbit, I think I'm going to try taking it all the way to Laythe because it's the only other body with an oxygen atmosphere
    I will name this plane 'Impassive' because it will go anywhere I want and it will not give a shit

I'll let you know how my star freighter goes.

The prototype I slapped together worked surprisingly well. I had a Mainsail rocket flanked by Atomic Rocket quads, and a few radials underneath to gain initial lift for take-off, and help with landing.

Miss me? Find me on:

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I know exactly what I want to make in RPG maker, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Writing a script is easy, but I can't really build the game without a decent Tactics-Style mechanic in place.

What kind of mechanics do you have in mind?

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    well

i have to go clean the shit out of my pants from my first encounter with a nightkin in New Vegas

haven't jumped that hard in a game since the oooold X-Com games

moo

ikbUJdU.jpg

Movement speeds/types, different damage and defense types, weapon and spell functionality- all the standard stuff for games like FFT and Tactics Ogre. I also wanted a fog of war and cover mechanic. Now that I think about it, that's a lot of stuff.

Miss me? Find me on:

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    I have been getting my rockets out to 100km to try and create a low orbit around Kerbin, but by the time the orbit is starting to take shape I am so far past my apoapsis that I am back in the dang atmosphere.

I am the worst rocket scientist.

Here, check this out.

http://youtu.be/cmAMGJm-bwU

Starting about 5:38 is where he actually starts talking about launching and achieving a stable orbit.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

Movement speeds/types, different damage and defense types, weapon and spell functionality- all the standard stuff for games like FFT and Tactics Ogre. I also wanted a fog of war and cover mechanic. Now that I think about it, that's a lot of stuff.

Yeah, that's a lot of stuff, although I've seen most of it done. Have you thought about taking the Ogre Battle route and building your system around the standard combat system, with units representing parties which can be moved across the battlefield? That would certainly be less of a daunting task.

Yeah, that's a lot of stuff, although I've seen most of it done. Have you thought about taking the Ogre Battle route and building your system around the standard combat system, with units representing parties which can be moved across the battlefield? That would certainly be less of a daunting task.

that... is not a bad idea

It would be less setup involving battle maps

and I could have the player interact with party members and whatnot in a personalized fortress and/or camp

Miss me? Find me on:

This discussion has been closed.