As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VALVE STEAM. STEAM OS. STEAM MACHINES. 48 HOURS REMAIN.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    ...going straight up isn't best?

god damnit I am just awful at rocket science.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    SenorTacos wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqSbYsUalMQ&feature=player_embedded

You arrive home after a year abroad. You expect your family to greet you, but the house is empty. Something's not right. Where is everyone? And what's happened here?

Gone home is an interactive exploration simulator. Interrogate every detail of a seemingly normal house to discover the story of the people who live there. Open any drawer and door. Pick up objects and examine them to discover clues. Uncover the events of one family's lives by investigating what they've left behind.

Go home again.

Looks pretty neat, it'll be on steam on the 15th.

I get the feeling from the context of that video that we're not supposed to think the music on the tape is unimaginably awful

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Think of Kerbin's gravity well like a giant funnel. You're somewhere near the middle, peddling a bicycle around the funnel, and you're trying to get up to a stable point near the top. By circling the funnel, you gain some centripetal force that helps keep you from falling down into the center. If you go straight up the side, not only is it going to be way harder than snaking your way up in a spiral, but once you get up there you won't have the lateral motion to keep you "stuck" to the side of the funnel; you'll just start falling back down towards the middle on the same path you started on, unless you exert a tremendous amount of energy to get yourself moving laterally at a speed that will keep you up there. Now that you're up at ~100km, the circumference of your orbit is much wider and you'll need to add a lot more orbital velocity to sustain it than if you had added that energy starting down at 15km. The only way to avoid that would be to thrust directly away from the gravity well until you reach escape velocity, but you'll need a colossal amount of fuel and thrust to accomplish it, and it'll put you out beyond Minimus and into the Sun's orbit.

The key to successful space travel is being extraordinarily lazy: you have to know how to expend the absolute minimum possible amount of effort to get what you want. (incidentally, some orbital inclinations are harder than others. If you want the slowest, most efficient route to orbit, tip your ship over towards the 90 degree mark (on the right) and you'll be pointed along with the rotation of the planet. The fastest, most fuel-hungry method is to tip over to the left; a huge rocket with short, high-energy stages might find it easier to get out this way.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    SenorTacos wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqSbYsUalMQ&feature=player_embedded

You arrive home after a year abroad. You expect your family to greet you, but the house is empty. Something's not right. Where is everyone? And what's happened here?

Gone home is an interactive exploration simulator. Interrogate every detail of a seemingly normal house to discover the story of the people who live there. Open any drawer and door. Pick up objects and examine them to discover clues. Uncover the events of one family's lives by investigating what they've left behind.

Go home again.

Looks pretty neat, it'll be on steam on the 15th.

I get the feeling from the context of that video that we're not supposed to think the music on the tape is unimaginably awful

well it's supposed to sound like music a teenage grrl would like in 1995

so its awfulness seems pretty accurate

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    It's also apparently a horror game

so maybe it's supposed to be terrifyingly bad?

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    it isnt a horror game

it is like dear esther where there's no enemies, just an environment to explore and no obvious story

but you actually interact with things here

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I thought there was supposed to be a story. The very first trailer they released definitely indicated some kind of narrative, and a tension-filled atmosphere.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    you make up the story after "your family isnt home after years of you being away"

that is what i had been hearing

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I thought there was supposed to be a story. The very first trailer they released definitely indicated some kind of narrative, and a tension-filled atmosphere.

Yeah, there's tension filled atmosphere but it's not a horror game. No monsters will jump out at you, there's nothing to worry about. You just walk around the house and look at shit and try to find out what happened.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    your parents, your town, and everyone else in the world left because of your awful taste in music as a teenager

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    I think my manned space ship is going to depend on a jet engine platform system

Stage
    Low altitude jets are employed, until reaching optimal altitude for turbo jet engines

Stage
    High altitude jets kick in, and when they reach max power the low altitude jets will be ejected

Stage
    When high altitude jets reach the optimal height I aim the craft straight up, eject the jet engines, and activate the solid rocket booster to help me clear the atmosphere

Stage
    Once atmosphere is broken, I will begin to assume orbit and eject solid fuel rockets when they are spent
    Liquid fuel is activated, and orbit will be achieved

Then after that I'm (hopefully) going to have a system worked out where I can re-enter atmosphere land land that sucker on the runway

You're carrying a lot of weight for your first manned mission. Stable orbits are easiest when you curve gently into them, and blasting straight up out of atmo from 65km isn't exactly subtle. Remember you have to generate a tremendous amount of lateral motion while you're ascending; if you're still boosting straight up at that height and ground velocity you're going to push your apoapse straight up... and your descending trajectory straight back down into the planet. You can correct when you get up there, if you have enough fuel and enough thrust, but it's extraordinarily costly and you'll need a much larger vehicle than you otherwise would. Better to just continue thrusting maybe 5 degrees above the prograde marker to increase your orbital velocity and therefore your apoapse height... without killing your descending trajectory.

Incidentally, solid fuels have a great thrust/weight ratio but they are still heavy as all get out, so they're mostly used to help get truly enormous things off the launch pad. I think there were eight on the VULLVA* with which I took the KISS** into orbit.

* (Very Unreasonably Large Launch Vehicle Assembly)

** (Kerbal International Space Station)

I mostly want to learn how to break the atmosphere without using solid fuel rockets

it just feels so wasteful dropping those big pods down

think of the baby otters :cry:

managed to find some helpful tips on the Kerbal forums for making my jet steer better

Gonna try an engine configuration like the X-Wing to generate more thrust, first
    xwang_zpsea27cc63.jpg

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    An x wing style plane does not work
    It's a vomit comet FYI

• Options
    I wonder if people who are particularly adept at actual rocket science are any good at Kerbal.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    It's a vomit comet FYI

just the engine block

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I kind of am good at the math of rocket science but lack in the use of it in game it seems
    I had to limp to the moon on impulse in a car I built and left that clown to drive around his new home

• Options
  • Options
    It's a vomit comet FYI

just the engine block

Still does not work

Like I said I built some awesome vomit comets

But I think it would be really cool if they let us build a skyhook so we could have a plane that transferred cargo and pods or something for the part in space

• Options
    It's a vomit comet FYI

just the engine block

Still does not work

Like I said I built some awesome vomit comets

But I think it would be really cool if they let us build a skyhook so we could have a plane that transferred cargo and pods or something for the part in space

Ah, okay

I'll avoid the power boost until I add the orbit rig

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »

orbiting is literally falling at an angle around a gravity well so hard that you miss the hard, planety part in the center

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    but...but...

Space is up the way from here, and I want to go to space.

So I gotta go up!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

orbiting is literally falling at an angle around a gravity well so hard that you miss the hard, planety part in the center

The trick to learning to fly is to throw yourself at the ground.

And miss.

• Options
    but...but...

So I gotta go up!

I don't know much about physics

but from what I've seen, the laws of the universe are fucking beautiful

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013

Stage
    Low altitude jets are employed, until reaching optimal altitude for turbo jet engines

Stage
    High altitude jets kick in, and when they reach max power the low altitude jets will be ejected

Stage
    When high altitude jets reach the optimal height I aim the craft straight up, eject the jet engines, and activate the solid rocket booster to help me clear the atmosphere

Stage
    Once atmosphere is broken, I will begin to assume orbit and eject solid fuel rockets when they are spent

Then after that I'm (hopefully) going to have a system worked out where I can re-enter atmosphere land land that sucker on the runway

You're carrying a lot of weight for your first manned mission. Stable orbits are easiest when you curve gently into them, and blasting straight up out of atmo from 65km isn't exactly subtle. Remember you have to generate a tremendous amount of lateral motion while you're ascending; if you're still boosting straight up at that height and ground velocity you're going to push your apoapse straight up... and your descending trajectory straight back down into the planet. You can correct when you get up there, if you have enough fuel and enough thrust, but it's extraordinarily costly and you'll need a much larger vehicle than you otherwise would. Better to just continue thrusting maybe 5 degrees above the prograde marker to increase your orbital velocity and therefore your apoapse height... without killing your descending trajectory.

Incidentally, solid fuels have a great thrust/weight ratio but they are still heavy as all get out, so they're mostly used to help get truly enormous things off the launch pad. I think there were eight on the VULLVA* with which I took the KISS** into orbit.

I mostly want to learn how to break the atmosphere without using solid fuel rockets

managed to find some helpful tips on the Kerbal forums for making my jet steer better

Gonna try an engine configuration like the X-Wing to generate more thrust, first
    xwang_zpsea27cc63.jpg

well think of the baby otters when you're drilling all that petroleum out of the ground to refine into the liquid fuel. It's kind of a no-win scenario, unless you come back with the scientific knowledge that saves the planet

Also, I did my first Minimus mission with the basic Scott Manley design, so no solid fuel at all.

edit: no solid fuel

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    but...but...

So I gotta go up!

I don't know much about physics

but from what I've seen, the laws of the universe are fucking beautiful
    20101003.gif

Syphyre on
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Yo forget these nerdlingers

If your rocket aint goin up slap some more rockets on it until it damn well stays up

• Options

Stage

Stage

Stage

Stage

xwang_zpsea27cc63.jpg

well think of the baby otters when you're drilling all that petroleum out of the ground to refine into the liquid fuel. It's kind of a no-win scenario, unless you come back with the scientific knowledge that saves the planet

Also, I did my first Minimus mission with the basic Scott Manley design, so no solid fuel at all.

edit: no solid fuel

there's the easy way to do it

and then there's the cool way to do it 8-)

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I think my first rocket that made it to space was literally just 24 solid fuel boosters strapped together

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    Gravity turns are easyish and best way to get into an orbit.

Get your rocket up to at least 10k (12 - 15 is a bit better), turn 45 degrees in a direction (that is 45 degrees from the top of your navball) and keep going up until you reach X height (mine is 100k) on your periapsis or the other one, check the map screen often, once your height has been hit cut engines. Turn to the 90 degree mark and wait until you hit around your max height before burning into an orbit. Obviously you can use your maneuver nodes to see how long you have to burn etc.

Once you hit around 150ms you can cut back your acceleration, I usually just leave it in the middle until i hit my preferred height.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    What altitude should one start burning at an angle to achieve orbit most efficiently?

I usually start around 14,000 (1400? I forget exactly what the scale is. Around the point the sky turns black) but that seems to bleed off way too much fuel for a moonshot

• Options
    What altitude should one start burning at an angle to achieve orbit most efficiently?

I usually start around 14,000 (1400? I forget exactly what the scale is. Around the point the sky turns black) but that seems to bleed off way too much fuel for a moonshot

Here's the Basic Basic Guide.

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    i bought all the new vegas dlc yesterday
    now i am stuck in that game forever
    it's interesting how, when i first played it (and when i first play a fallout i stick to the main story) i hated it
    now that i'm ignoring the main story i'm having super fun

also i am hella badass at caravan now

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I am playing though la noire and I don't think it is on purpose but the most exciting thing, the thing that motivates me to do well on the cases

is earning those new suits

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I didn't realize Kerbin was only 1/10th the volume of Earth, that's interesting. Is the atmosphere shorter too?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    mully wrote: »
    i bought all the new vegas dlc yesterday
    now i am stuck in that game forever
    it's interesting how, when i first played it (and when i first play a fallout i stick to the main story) i hated it
    now that i'm ignoring the main story i'm having super fun

also i am hella badass at caravan now

I have a save I've been poking away at

made my character the most "Russian" looking she could be

and I've been hitting things with my knife like butcher pete

for all the hours I've put in with other characters, I have never actually beaten the game

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

Usually I start turning at 10km. Then I slowly tip to 45 degrees by 18km and almost level by 25.

Another thing to consider is your speed. Try to accelerate slowly enough that you're at 200m/s by 10km, but beyond that go ahead and open up the throttle. It takes considerably more energy to accelerate as the faster you're traveling. This is especially important below 10km.

In short, watch everything until you're above 10km. That's like a critical altitude.

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    Every time someone talks about New Vegas and I see people on my friends list with near or more than 100 hours played on it I think of buying it. Then I remember how much I did not like Fallout 3 and I change my mind. I know New Vegas is an improvement in a lot of areas but I dunno. I really did not like Fallout 3.

I'm also now thinking of picking up all the Skyrim DLC but I haven't played that much since it came out.

Stupid discount price psychology.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    new vegas costs so little money so often you'd be hard pressed not to get your moneys worth out of it

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

Usually I start turning at 10km. Then I slowly tip to 45 degrees by 18km and almost level by 25.

Another thing to consider is your speed. Try to accelerate slowly enough that you're at 200m/s by 10km, but beyond that go ahead and open up the throttle. It takes considerably more energy to accelerate as the faster you're traveling. This is especially important below 10km.

In short, watch everything until you're above 10km. That's like a critical altitude.

Kerbal Space Program AKA Dubh struggles to remember high school physics

thank Glob I took an astronomy class with a lab component two years back

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    hey, any one in here have the Payday 2 beta?

I've been playing it a bit and it's pretty fun. If you have it, maybe we should rob some stores together.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I am playing though la noire and I don't think it is on purpose but the most exciting thing, the thing that motivates me to do well on the cases

is earning those new suits

God I loved the style of that game

I am still pissed though that one of the chapters/desks cut from the final release was Burglary with your partner played by Brandon Keener AKA Garrus Motherfucking Vakarian.

This discussion has been closed.