As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VALVE STEAM. STEAM OS. STEAM MACHINES. 48 HOURS REMAIN.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    but what if that's why they're waiting so long to announce it

they want it to be already finished!

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Enc wrote: »
    Strategically, Half Life 3 would be a thing they would be better off not making until such a time as their other projects are not doing well, so that they could re-invest a massive amount of interest in their company and products. It would also be a useful thing to pair with the launch of their new box to help boost sales, but I'd not be surprised if they held any announcement until after they see how much the OS succeeds with their present catalog, and then use an announcement of the game to help spur sales once the initial interest starts to cool.

I don't know if I agree with that. Half Life 3 would be huge now but were they to wait too long to the point where they have multiple failing projects a single blockbuster title to win back lost market share isn't totally brilliant.

Not to mention that strategy doesn't really mesh with Newell and Valve's philosophies. Newell rebukes the business models of the traditional producer/developer not just because he doesn't care for their methods but also because he considers their models to be unsustainable. Putting all your eggs in one basket doesn't sound like a very Valve thing to do.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Half-Life 3 to be released--tomorrow!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I would have been fine if it was a hardware announcement

It was barely even that

It was a hardware confirmation

They confirmed that at some point in the future Valve will release some kind of hardware

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    also at this point i'm sick of valve's marketing shtick because they're all predicated on the expectation of big things (i.e. videogames they've been implicitly promising people for various absurd amounts of time)

so they play games with their fans' expectations and at this point the whole thing feels horribly cynical and condescending, especially when the "huge reveal" turns out to be yet another form of monetization expansion

They said several times this was Steam related and not game related.

sure of course

and how many times have they played the "oh, it's actually this other thing!" with their mystery-box viral marketing nonsense?
    Never?

Seriously, what announcement are you specifically thinking of here? Because I'm at a loss.

And seriously, when they make a "THE STEAM UNIVERSE IS EXPANDING" splash page and, when specifically asked, say it's not game related, anyone who gets hyped and then disappointed at the lack of a game announcement only has themself to blame.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    zerzhul wrote: »
    End wrote: »
    I really liked HL2 a lot at the time but I have no idea how it would hold up now
    I play it about once every 2 years. I am coming up on my playthrough soon. It still holds up for me.

More visuals centric but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZhnGQXWi1U

Bubby on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

It was barely even that

They confirmed that at some point in the future Valve will release some kind of hardware

Which is a hardware announcement, yes.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »

It was barely even that

Which is a hardware announcement, yes.

At the very basest level, sure

But they had already been openly talking about their plans for making hardware

This is just them going "yup we're still doing that and it'll be out next year"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Um, someone explain Pac-Man Championship Edition to me

I mean, I know Pac-Man...but, like, what changes? What is a Pac-Man championship? It seems superweird to me

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    This was pages ago so I do not know if we have moved on but

I do not get the deal with people and the Windows start button thing.

Like. I guess I could download a start button replacement? But why do you need one?

You can pin whatever programs you really use a lot to the taskbar, and for anything else all you have to do is hit the windows key or bottom left corner and type the name of the program you want or thing you want to do and there it is. Like

super easy

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I just don't get why this is exciting. Sorry, I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, I just don't get it. Prefab linux gaming PCs? Ok. Sure I guess. I mean no games runs on Linux but I'm guessing they've found a way around that. It all seems to be based around this false notion that Windows 8 is A. A closed system or B. Bad for playing games on*. Windows 8 is the tits, and it runs Steam just fine. They aren't going to turn it into the app store, because they have no reason to. Valve are kind of putting that out there because otherwise there's no reason for this thing to exist.

I'm sure it's neat! I'm glad it's exciting for some people! I just don't understand why this is any better than say, moving my desktop tower to the living room.

*Yeah I made them start with the initials of the bullet point. I'm a pretty cool guy.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »

I mean, I know Pac-Man...but, like, what changes? What is a Pac-Man championship? It seems superweird to me

Pac-Man CE DX is barely Pac-Man

It's much more about getting a score and having a blast than not dying

Here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d53XwhPfRCI

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    imagine the windows start button as your pinky finger

now imagine that one day, your pinky finger disappeared

so, of course, it doesn't take long to adjust to the missing digit and you can do just about anything without it

but you still really, really wish it was back

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Rolo wrote: »
    yeah you can burnout goodwill for things like that really quickly

and valve has a lot less goodwill than most in the public eye for every announcement which isn't HL3. and this really isn't anyone's fault but theirs.

Eh, there seems to be a really strong contingent (It might just be a vocal contingent) that doesn't give a shit about HL3; either due to it being before their time, not liking the Half-Life series in the first place, or just no longer caring due to how long it's been.

As money driven as Valve seems to be these days, I can't see them throwing the fans that built them under the bus for these people who don't care about HL.

• Options
    edited September 2013

Pac-Man CE DX is barely Pac-Man

It's much more about getting a score and having a blast than not dying

Here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d53XwhPfRCI

Hm. Aight. It's just that there was a bit of buzz about this thing in this thread and I didn't get it (still don't)
    Bubby wrote: »

and valve has a lot less goodwill than most in the public eye for every announcement which isn't HL3. and this really isn't anyone's fault but theirs.

Eh, there seems to be a really strong contingent (It might just be a vocal contingent) that doesn't give a shit about HL3; either due to it being before their time, not liking the Half-Life series in the first place, or just no longer caring due to how long it's been.

As money driven as Valve seems to be these days, I can't see them throwing the fans that built them under the bus for these people who don't care about HL.

Also a big portion of people who "don't care" are going to grab the game when the stellar scores hit.
    See: every "pshaw who cares / boycott X" thing on the internet ever

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Artreus wrote: »

Like. I guess I could download a start button replacement? But why do you need one?

You can pin whatever programs you really use a lot to the taskbar, and for anything else all you have to do is hit the windows key or bottom left corner and type the name of the program you want or thing you want to do and there it is. Like

super easy

Sure, you could, but having the start button is nice for those who don't feel like reteaching themselves how to use their OS. Like I've never, ever, ever hit the Windows key on purpose, nor have I searched for the name of the program or file I want to run/open. Why should I have to if I don't want to? What if I want to click the start button and navigate the way I prefer to said exe/file?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I don't even want to play half life anymore

I just need I see how it ends

It's like they made the original Star Wars trilogy but then never finished Return of the Jedi

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

That was in reference to whether or not the continued lack of HL3 news was hurting their goodwill. I'm saying there's more than enough people who don't care, so Valve will probably be fine.

• Options

That was in reference to whether or not the continued lack of HL3 news was hurting their goodwill. I'm saying there's more than enough people who don't care, so Valve will probably be fine.
    Yeah that makes more sense. Like, I want the next installment as much as the next guy, but, especially given Valve's track record, I trust them enough to know that they'll put shit out when it's ready, so yeah, I don't obsess about it as a certain vocal minority seems to - sometimes those threads get a chuckle out of me though

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    Really the flak here is that people were building up their expectations for something they weren't doing (Half Life 3) and wanted to be excited for that. This is still pretty cool stuff, and it's a neat way to build up tension for them concerning their future market options.

Lots of us think it is neat, I'd expect. Is it "OHMIGOSHSTANDINLINEFORTWOWEEKSWANTITNOW" exciting? No. I don't think it was meant to be, though.

if you throw up a countdown and then spread your reveal out for a week, then you mean for it to be incredibly groundbreaking. or at least give it the auspices as such.

Lots of speculation from everyone !!!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Yeah that makes more sense. Like, I want the next installment as much as the next guy, but, especially given Valve's track record, I trust them enough to know that they'll put shit out when it's ready, so yeah, I don't obsess about it as a certain vocal minority seems to - sometimes those threads get a chuckle out of me though

6 years is a long time, and the only reason they can get away with drawing out announcements like this is because of HL3. When Friday comes and goes with no news, they deserve to lose some goodwill IMO. Like Langly said, countdowns should be groundbreaking, not boring and kind of irrelevant to their core audience.

Bubby on
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    I'm the exact opposite market for this because I've actually moved my consoles into my office to play them at my computer desk

the TV is monopolized a lot and I like sitting close to the screen

I'm more interested in seeing if SteamOS has any desktop application and maybe dual booting it. I do all my productivity stuff on my MacBook these days, so I wouldn't say no to a really lightweight game focused OS on my desktop.

• Options

super easy

Sure, you could, but having the start button is nice for those who don't feel like reteaching themselves how to use their OS. Like I've never, ever, ever hit the Windows key on purpose, nor have I searched for the name of the program or file I want to run/open. Why should I have to if I don't want to? What if I want to click the start button and navigate the way I prefer to said exe/file?

I never once purposely touched the windows key before windows 8. Now it does a thing.

I just really do not understand where you are coming from at all.

Windows key + thing I want to do ==> enter

done

I don't know how it could be any more simple than that

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options

so, of course, it doesn't take long to adjust to the missing digit and you can do just about anything without it

Yeah it turns out I don't miss the start button because it's not 1992.

• Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    Isn't the point of consoles to allow everyone to have the same experience regardless of money etc?

Because the steambox seems to not be that.

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Yeah it turns out I don't miss the start button because it's not 1992.

wait how does this fit into the pinky analogy

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options

super easy

I never once purposely touched the windows key before windows 8. Now it does a thing.

done

I can do that too!

Click start menu + thing I want to do ==> click

done

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Isoldae wrote: »
    Isn't the point of consoles to allow everyone to have the same experience regardless of money etc?

Because the steambox seems to not be that.

not so much anymore

at the very least I can't play GTA V on my 4GB Xbox 360

• Options
    Okay

but my point was that you're not losing anything of value

people complained about it so much! So much!

When it is totally fine

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

super easy

done

Yeah, Windows key + typing a program name is so much better than clicking through Program Files. The functionality hasn't changed at all between Windows 7 and 8, even if it looks different.

• Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    "1. Valve Corporation ("Valve", "We", "Us" or "Our") has developed and produced prototypes of entertainment system hardware and software, including a set-top box running custom software and a game controller (collectively: "Beta Products"). These Beta Products are currently being prepared for a limited beta testing program ("Beta Program") involving select end users of Our online service known as Steam ("Steam")."

Reveal number 3 confirmed within the legal crap of the hardware beta program.

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    that means they have a controller

that doesn't mean that's going to be the only/main reveal on friday

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i will say this

based on my experiences at pax valve has got a long, hard road ahead if they want to make a better controller than the ps4's

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I would be shocked if Half Life 3 was announced before Source Engine 2. The only way I'm ever expecting a HL3 announcement is as a launch game for SE2.

Legba on
  • Options

6 years is a long time, and the only reason they can get away with drawing out announcements like this is because of HL3. When Friday comes and goes with no news, they deserve to lose some goodwill IMO. Like Langly said, countdowns should be groundbreaking, not boring and kind of irrelevant to their core audience.
    Except that they outright mentioned that the announcements concern getting steam into the living room, and thereby expanding their audience, so I don't know how that should relate to any goodwill regarding HL2:Ep3 / HL3

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    What if HL3 was a SteamOS exclusive

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    half-life 3 announced friday alongside realistic nipple-tweaking controller

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Legba wrote: »
    I would be shocked if Half Life 3 was announced before Source Engine 2. The only way I'm ever expecting a HL3 announcement is as a launch game for SE2.

chances are they'd announce at the same time anyway

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i will be wrought with anger if i cannot put a mouse and keyboard on this

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i will say this

based on my experiences at pax valve has got a long, hard road ahead if they want to make a better controller than the ps4's

What's so much better about it compared to the Dual Shock?

This discussion has been closed.