As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[13th Age] Crown of the Lich King IC/OOC: The New Seven Scoundrels

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Any icons we should avoid positive or negative relationships with?

• bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Good question. Yes and no. You can have any combination, but the book recommends some limitations on the number of points which would otherwise probably be more appropriate for an evil party. My opinion is that you can break these limitations, but I'm going to say that the party has to be okay with it, as you'll probably be heavily at odds with someone and we should probably save the PvP for a couple sessions. :twisted:

Anyway, the restrictions:
    • Diabolist, Lich King, Orc Lord, The Three: only go up to 2 in conflicted/negative with these icons, and only 1 positive
    • Crusader, Dwarf King, Elf Queen, High Druid, Prince of Shadows: only go up to 2 negative with these icons
    • Archmage, Emperor, Great Gold Wyrm, Priestess: only go up to 1 negative with these icons

Again, those are just recommendations, if you can sell us on a negative 3 with the Great Gold Wyrm that doesn't end up with the party being hired to smite you, we can make it work. Keep in mind that a villainous relationship is more than just "I hate this guy and I want him dead", you have history, which is a good general reason to not dump all your points into it at the start of the game.

(Those with books can see the chart and justification on and around p.36.)

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
    I was debating having my sorceress have a +2 relationship with the Three, since a Dark Elf sorceress is kind of a fit for all three aspects. But I can understand if you don't want someone that, um, potentially disasterous, in the party.

Keep in mind that the points are a measure of the utility of the relationship, not the strength of it. Your character could be an unabashed apologist for The Three, and totally into their thing, but it's still only a 1 point relationship because perhaps you're just not that special to them (yet) and thus you can't call in as many favors. That sounds unfortunate but on the other hand, you're not drawing as much attention either. You could have even been doused with the blood of the Black or something, and as long as you're only rocking a 1 point relationship that'd be absolutely fine. Maybe it's only 1 point because, when you get down to it, those cultists will douse lots of people with their masters' blood if potential flock ask nicely.

• wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    "Wow, man! Isn't it totally amazing how life can bring us together like this, like something out of nothing? I don't know if any of you believe in second chances, but this is like a totally new door opening up for us all, like a chance to make new choices and new adventures. One day at a time, am I right?

"By the way, my name's Mitch."

(Let me know if the One Unique Thing, icon relationships, and the magic sword idea are okay. I'm still not sure about my AC/PD/MD calculations - I think I'm using a draft version of the pdf.)

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    @wildwood I think you are missing a stat point. You could have 15(+2), 15(+2), 15, 10, 10, 8 which is one higher than your current stats. You are also missing one point of AC. Otherwise it looks great!

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    bss wrote: »
    Keep in mind that the points are a measure of the utility of the relationship, not the strength of it. Your character could be an unabashed apologist for The Three, and totally into their thing, but it's still only a 1 point relationship because perhaps you're just not that special to them (yet) and thus you can't call in as many favors. That sounds unfortunate but on the other hand, you're not drawing as much attention either. You could have even been doused with the blood of the Black or something, and as long as you're only rocking a 1 point relationship that'd be absolutely fine. Maybe it's only 1 point because, when you get down to it, those cultists will douse lots of people with their masters' blood if potential flock ask nicely.
    You also need to keep in mind that utility is mostly a one-way street with the Icons. The rating indicates how much use they get out of you, not necessarily how much you can get out of them (you roll for that before every session). A negative rating is a way of indicating that even if your goals align in the course of derring-do and heroism, your character might not be interested in helping that Icon (and the roll indicates whether the Icon is interested in trying to stop your character from succeeding).

Cullen's relationship with the Prince is strong because he's both a thief and a trained killer, has a good chance of knowing and being owed favors by guard captains, and has virtually no compunctions about hurting the Empire. That's tied up neatly in his relationship with the Emperor, who may want to stop Cullen from being successful but can't always do so because Cullen has the respect of most former legionnaires, many of whom go on to be powerful people.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    Anialos wrote: »
    @wildwood I think you are missing a stat point. You could have 15(+2), 15(+2), 15, 10, 10, 8 which is one higher than your current stats. You are also missing one point of AC. Otherwise it looks great!

Yeah, looks like Mitch still has two point-buy-points to spend. And the AC thing. I'm digging it though, excellent.
    Ardent wrote: »
    You also need to keep in mind that utility is mostly a one-way street with the Icons. The rating indicates how much use they get out of you, not necessarily how much you can get out of them (you roll for that before every session). A negative rating is a way of indicating that even if your goals align in the course of derring-do and heroism, your character might not be interested in helping that Icon (and the roll indicates whether the Icon is interested in trying to stop your character from succeeding).

Cullen's relationship with the Prince is strong because he's both a thief and a trained killer, has a good chance of knowing and being owed favors by guard captains, and has virtually no compunctions about hurting the Empire. That's tied up neatly in his relationship with the Emperor, who may want to stop Cullen from being successful but can't always do so because Cullen has the respect of most former legionnaires, many of whom go on to be powerful people.

Indeed, relationships over time are symbiotic at best. If you have a negative relationship with the big nasty icons, it's because you know something they don't want anyone to know, or have some exceptional edge over them, or whatever, and either way, they probably want you dead. Picture "capture/sacrifice this guy on sight" wanted posters, occasional Let's Hunt - Your PC Edition excursions, that kind of thing. You can use your information at appropriate points, but it comes at a cost to you (and the party). Similarly, a strong positive relationship means more than just "I have some mutually-agreeable link to the icon", it's that plus that icon or their organizations expecting you to follow through from time to time on the mission statement. So knowing the Orc Lord's secret fist-bump and mostly phoning-in support for the whole "raze civilization" thing is a good 1 pointer (and still attracts the occasional meddler trying to kill you), it's when you're at 2 or 3 and you start being expected to attend all the frat parties that things get interesting for the group.

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    This is my character, although I might change a little of the wording:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bce2tem9myt7d1e/TA.pdf

I used the +2 Knowledge Background from Cunning to add to 'Rare Book Collector' - that's OK, right?

'Cunning' allows me to use INT rather than CHA for all my Rogue Abilities - so that includes Shadow Walk and the Save for Smooth Talk, right? I'm trying to make an intelligent rogue rather than a charismatic one - a conman, but a 'Mastermind' rather than a 'Grifter'. I want a clever, devious bastard and conman, rather than a thief. For example, when he 'Shadow Walks', he just disappears when nobody is looking, a la Batman, and unhurriedly pops up at an opportune moment.

I renamed some talents etc - the proper name is in brackets.

Tomas seems like a lazy fop, interested only in obscure books and occasional departures into rakedom, but he is/was an agent of the Emperor, particularly focusing on the intrigues against the Crusader, who he personally finds tremendously dull. He is moving away from that life, and although he does still work for the Empire at times, he knows that leaving the life can be tricky, and sometimes people who want to leave the game are removed from play by their own side.

He conned the Prince of Shadows in an as-yet-unspecified deal, and got away with it, and the Prince hasn't found out yet. For now, the relationship is good, but who knows about the future. Whatever truths (face, name, secrets) he has about the Prince, Tomas is far too smart to let anyone know about these, and far too smart to let the Prince find out how much he knows.

His Workshy Fop background is supposed to mostly be about the life of a louche aristocrat, with some usage for speed & agility to avoid trouble, hard work, danger, or getting sweat or dirt on his clothes.

Personality-wise, he's a combination of Tyrion Lannister, Locke Lamora, and The Six-Fingered Man from the Princess Bride - terribly posh, calculating, manipulative, and learned. Sadly, he continually finds himself weighed down by a strong conscience, despite his best efforts to ignore it.

Edit: And although Cullen is a rogue too, we are very different characters, so I don't think we'll be treading on anyone's toes. He's a thief/assassin with a hatchet, I'm a dandy with a book in one hand and a wine-bottle in the other.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
    I was debating having my sorceress have a +2 relationship with the Three, since a Dark Elf sorceress is kind of a fit for all three aspects. But I can understand if you don't want someone that, um, potentially disasterous, in the party.

You could have a +2 conflicted relationship with them, I think. Which sounds more fun.

poshniallo wrote: »
    This is my character, although I might change a little of the wording:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bce2tem9myt7d1e/TA.pdf

I used the +2 Knowledge Background from Cunning to add to 'Rare Book Collector' - that's OK, right?

'Cunning' allows me to use INT rather than CHA for all my Rogue Abilities - so that includes Shadow Walk and the Save for Smooth Talk, right? I'm trying to make an intelligent rogue rather than a charismatic one - a conman, but a 'Mastermind' rather than a 'Grifter'. I want a clever, devious bastard and conman, rather than a thief. For example, when he 'Shadow Walks', he just disappears when nobody is looking, a la Batman, and unhurriedly pops up at an opportune moment.
    This has been the interpretation I have seen thus far, although Shadow Walk is just a way for Rogues to move unhindered around the battlefield. Thematically they disappear but mechanically it's still just a move action. Cullen has the A level feat which lets him move even if he fails his Shadow Walk check, so you might see that as Cullen is at times in too much of a hurry or too cocky to bother concealing himself.
    Tomas seems like a lazy fop, interested only in obscure books and occasional departures into rakedom, but he is/was an agent of the Emperor, particularly focusing on the intrigues against the Crusader, who he personally finds tremendously dull. He is moving away from that life, and although he does still work for the Empire at times, he knows that leaving the life can be tricky, and sometimes people who want to leave the game are removed from play by their own side.

He conned the Prince of Shadows in an as-yet-unspecified deal, and got away with it, and the Prince hasn't found out yet. For now, the relationship is good, but who knows about the future. Whatever truths (face, name, secrets) he has about the Prince, Tomas is far too smart to let anyone know about these, and far too smart to let the Prince find out how much he knows.

Personality-wise, he's a combination of Tyrion Lannister, Locke Lamora, and The Six-Fingered Man from the Princess Bride - terribly posh, calculating, manipulative, and learned. Sadly, he continually finds himself weighed down by a strong conscience, despite his best efforts to ignore it.

Edit: And although Cullen is a rogue too, we are very different characters, so I don't think we'll be treading on anyone's toes. He's a thief/assassin with a hatchet, I'm a dandy with a book in one hand and a wine-bottle in the other.
    Cullen is more Jean Tannen and Durzo Blint, so I think they'll be complementary when/if they aren't trying to kill each other on behalf of their perspective patrons.

I don't think of them as my patrons. I have one negative relationship, one conflicted, and one positive that will probably go south because of my One Unique Thing. Everyone is a mark. The Icons are just the whales.

This is my character

All looks good. Nice touch with the feature renames.

You could have a +2 conflicted relationship with them, I think. Which sounds more fun.

Indeed, popular opinion in my meatspace groups is that conflicted relationships are the most fun to play with and see go unexpectedly right and/or hilariously wrong.

edited August 2013
    OK, I think I have a character. It's using the stats and powers from the pre-gen Dark Elf Sorcerer (thanks @Anialos !), but I've given her my own flavor, I like to think. Presenting Shar Silvermane, (former) captain of the pirate ship Sea Hydra:
    1123093-bigthumbnail.jpg
    (it's too cheesecakey really, but the best I could find)

Former captain of the pirate ship Sea Hydra, fastest ship in the Twelve Seas. Few ships were safe, but Silvermane has a sense of honor, and killed only when necessary. Her targets were often heavily-laden merchant ships, fat off spoils of profits. Mutinied in a coup lead by her supposedly-trusted first officer (and lover) and left to die on a deserted island, Shar nevertheless survived and made it back to the mainland - though how she did is a source of many rumors. Shar now seeks a way to get her ship back - through force, if need be - and is seeking ways to increase her sorcerous power, either through pacts or items. If Shar has her way, her former first mate may well find his skin incorporated into the Sea Hydra's sails....

One unique thing:
    Shar can always see the stars above her, simply by closing her eyes and desiring to, and knows by heart the names of all the constellations. It doesn't matter if it's daylight, or if she's indoors or underground, or even if she's magically blinded. This might not work if she is transported to another plane, but it's not something she's had an opportunity to test. Presumably she still needs to have her eyes, too.

Icon Relationships:
    Emperor (Negative 1): As a notorious pirate, Shar is not exactly welcome in many coastal cities. The Emperor has put a price on her head, though now that she has been deposed Shar might be insulted at how low it has gotten.

The Elf Queen (Conflicted 1): Unbeknownst to almost all (including the crew), Shar was actually in the employ of the Elf Queen. The ships she targeted were typically traders aligned against the Elven nation, helping to ensure the elves maintained the upper hand in mercantile warfare. While the Queen cannot outright acknowledge her relationship with Shar and would likely denounce her in public, privately Shar may find support. The Queen has a vested interest in getting Shar back in control of what is now more of a rogue threat, but bribing the current captain may be a cheaper option if Shar tries to rely on the Queen too much.

The Three (Positive 1): The Blue is said to be the foundation of all sorcery. Whether that is true or not, it nevertheless likely knows more about sorcery than any other being in the realm, including any other Icon. As such, Shar has begun to seek out a relationship with the Blue in the hopes of increasing her abilities. Her contact encouraged her to join this hunt for the Lich King's crown, as a test of her abilities and devotion - for whatever reason, the Three have a grudge against the lich Baron Voth, and the capture or destruction of his phylactery would be of benefit to them.

Backgrounds:
    Pirate captain of the Sea Hydra (+4)
    Skilled appraiser (+2)
    Tactician (+2)
    Power sensitive (+2 Arcane)

Gear:
    Standard traveler's gear, dagger with hilt topped with hydra emblem ("Takkaryx"), 2 throwing knives ("Right" and "Left") in each of her boots, fine traveler's cloak, 15 gp.

Everything else should be standard as per the pregen. I can repeat those in this post for future reference if need be.

tzeentchling on
    I dig it, tzeentchling.

We've got some characters done, so while we wait for those last two to get wrapped up, how about every one else do the customary story-guide rolls? For each of your relationships, roll a d6 for each point in that relationship, and tell me any 5s or 6s you get. These results are interesting benefits "in the bank", they (ideally) all come up in the course of the session, and either I come up with some benefit/complication relevant to your results, or you can suggest a good point in the story to use your results. Maybe agents of one your icons make a surprise appearance, or you remember some relevant tidbit to get an edge on a coming challenge, or you realize that with just the right word you unlock latent magic in some mundane-seeming item, or who knows what else.

Icon relationships, roll roll roll, tell us the icons that we should troll.

edited August 2013
    I'll roll in order I've listed:

geth roll 3d6

boo nothing good.

3d6 9 [3d6=4, 2, 3]

tzeentchling on
    Oh yeah, I totally forgot geth was a thing. Let's do that for rolls.

Geth roll 2d6 for Priestess influence
    Geth roll 1d6 for Prince of Shadows influence
    Geth roll 1d6 for GGW (conflicted) just in case we need the action

Priestess influence:
    2d6 2 [2d6=1, 1]
    Prince of Shadows influence:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]
    GGW (conflicted) just in case we need the action:
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]

Great, a five with the Prince, that can't possibly go wrong...

I've fixed Mitch's numbers up to match a 28-point-buy - gave two points to Con, to boost his HP and PD.

edited August 2013
    Geth roll 1d6 for The Prince of Shadows

Geth roll 1d6 for the Emperor

Geth roll 1d6 for the Crusader

The Prince of Shadows:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]
    the Emperor:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]
    the Crusader:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

poshniallo on
    Great! 5s with my close personal friend the Prince, and a 5 with my enemy, the Crusader!

What could possibly go wrong!

Btw can I edit that post without Geth rerolling? I was afraid to.

We are a band of reprobates and anti heroes, aren't we?

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    In this order: Emperor; High Druid; Prince of shadows

Minion, roll 3d6

Btw can I edit that post without Geth rerolling? I was afraid to.

Yes, you can (as I hav just done).

3d6 5 [3d6=1, 3, 1]

Grog on
    @tzeentchling

How about this one:
    pzo9013-drow.jpg

Any better? Or do you need the parrot?

edited August 2013
    Geth roll 2d6 for Prince of Shadows

Geth roll 1d6 for Emperor

BOOM

Prince of Shadows:
    2d6 8 [2d6=2, 6]
    Emperor:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

Ardent on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Sorry I'm being slow. Was originally thinking fighter but the bard stuff caught my eye and while trying to puzzle that out I got busy. I'll work on it tonight and finish somethings up.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    @tzeentchling

How about this one:
    pzo9013-drow.jpg

Any better? Or do you need the parrot?

Oh yes, that is much better! Much more imperious. Just ignore the hand-crossbow.

Also we are going to be trolling the Prince of Shadows pretty hard.

• LeperLeper Registered User regular
    I have decided on a concept AND I am hoping to have it finished tonight. Last few days have been exhausting. 105+ degrees and 14-18 hour days.

If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
    I was looking for good avatar drawings on deviant art, but the guy in this photo is totally Mitch:
    pretender_s_armor_by_artisansdazure-d6gemwd.jpg

Even though he's probably not a wood elf. :)

DevoutlyApathetic, Leper, no worries. Feel free to roll your icon relationships when you're ready!
    Also we are going to be trolling the Prince of Shadows pretty hard.

That is for sure. Remember, when it comes to the story-guide stuff, suggestions are welcome. I have some idea what I want to do, but perhaps you do too.

edited August 2013
    I think this adequately summarizes how much Cullen hates everything.

image.jpg

Ardent on
    Map stuff. I was just going to put some tokens into MapTool and upload screenshots, but maybe there's a better way. Anyone know a better tool, since I'll pretty much just be dragging a couple dozen images around in vague arrangements?

Maybe GIMP? It's free image editing software, has layer options. Background on the base layer, tokens on layers above? I dunno since I've never done it either.

• LeperLeper Registered User regular
    GIMP is pretty easy to use--pretty much like photoshop.

Continuing my trend of "yo flava cain't beat my flava," I present:

Gog

Blazing the trail in single-named fame, Gog is a decent bounty hunter with a knack for self-promotion.

Having to do all this from my phone at the moment right now, I'll try to get more of a write up posted this afternoon--hotel internet is down and supposed to be fixed soon. C&C welcome.

If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
    Excellent use of ±. Alt 0177 needs more love.

bss, you could use roll20 but it's basically just an online maptool that we could update our positions on.

Leper: cool cool.

Ah, yeah, for some reason I didn't think of just doing stuff in GIMP (or Krita or whatever the KDE one is called now). I'll check out roll20, I think the linchpin will be if it saves the table state over sessions, because at the very least I wouldn't be able to stay connected to it always. You don't have to worry about doing updates unless you all want to; I think during a round it won't be that bad keeping track of all the relative positions (but I'm willing to be proven wrong, some of these combats could get a bit hairy), but at the start of a round a refresher would probably be nice.

I just checked on the Divine Future game and it looks to be right where it was left despite nobody else being connected to it for months. So I think it does save board states.

Thinking about this more I'm not sure how important the map will be beyond showing us cool features to use since 13th Age is very flexible with regards to ranges and the like. While I like roll20 for exact positioning stuff it does have the issue of not being open to public view. Depends on how highly you value the readability of the thread to others.

Maybe you should forgo the map and just describe combat scenes? A bit more typing, but maybe less work than using a graphics program?

@bss Things are taking shape and one question definitely came up: For Balladeer, should I see if the bonus dice/cursed dice are active for that initial start up Icon roll?