As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Roleplaying Games] Play Everything, Only GM the Games You Want To

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I'm currently renovating a building on our property to put all my gaming stuff in. Once that's done, maybe I'll post a list, but I'm a little worried it'll push past the character count in a single post.

Maybe I'll just put up some pictures.

Please do.

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    I bought almost every supplement for Mage: the Ascension but never once -- not once -- played or ran a game of it.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I'm currently renovating a building on our property to put all my gaming stuff in. Once that's done, maybe I'll post a list, but I'm a little worried it'll push past the character count in a single post.

You're building your self a RPGorium?

That's....that's awesome.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

You're building your self a RPGorium?

That's....that's awesome.
    It was my wife's idea. She's pretty keen on getting my piles and piles of books out of the house.

I start painting today. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics sometime next week.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Hachface wrote: »
    I bought almost every supplement for Mage: the Ascension but never once -- not once -- played or ran a game of it.
    This was exactly my relationship with the oWoD Vampire. Mage I didn't get as into, but I definitely dropped some big money on it. Werewolf, though, I played quite a bit of. Specifically, the Wild West version. Because Cowboy Dark Lords vs Native Wind Dancers feels like the proper way to play that game.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    HuddsHudds Fool Just Outside TimeRegistered User regular
    This was exactly my relationship with the oWoD Vampire. Mage I didn't get as into, but I definitely dropped some big money on it. Werewolf, though, I played quite a bit of. Specifically, the Wild West version. Because Cowboy Dark Lords vs Native Wind Dancers feels like the proper way to play that game.

Mine are all on a bookshelf to my right, still in really good shape. Most of Mage, a lot of Vampire, some Werewolf. We used to do some crazy cross-over stuff. I keep it all around because maybe someday I'll find someone that wants all of it and will give me some money for it. I'll likely hang on to Mage 2nd Edition core for sentimental reasons. Despite its many flaws, that's probably my favorite game.

With the 20th Anniversary editions that have been coming out, I assume there won't ever be a market for the old stuff. Especially since they've been re-issuing everything in .pdf.

I think I have all of Exalted 1st Edition, too. It's a nice looking set of books, at least. White Wolf/Onyx Path always builds 'em interesting.

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Do we want to make another stab at playing Shadowrun 5E again? I've still got an idea for a dwarf face that I want to realize.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I got rid of almost all of my game books a few moves ago.

Currently all that I own are
    Edge of the Empire
    Age of Rebellion
    Mouse Guard (Not Played)
    Hellboy (Not Played)
    Adventure: Tales of the Aeon Society (Not Played)
    Savage Worlds
    Deadlands Reloaded
    Necessary Evil (Not Played. But I want to soooo bad)

The list of games I have played is pretty huge. DnD (Basic, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th), Elfquest, Palladium Fantasy, TMNT (Normal and After the Bomb), Robotech, Rifts, Beyond the Supernatural, Teenagers From Outer Space, Gamma World, Marvel RPG, Earthdawn (all editions), Mechton Zeta, an odd mix of Car Wars and Gurps, Shadowrun (all editions), Vampire, Werewolf, Changling, Hunter, Deadlands (original and reloaded), Cyberpunk 2020, L5R, Aberrant, and Star Wars (West End, D20, and FF). I think that is everything, but I may be missing something.
    I had been invited to play Toon a few times, but I always got weird vibes from the people that I met who played that.

I have PDFs for a lot of games that I don't have listed. Because sometimes I'm a dirty pirate.

Ken O on
    http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Wow, I feel so... amateur with my collection. Mine you 70% of my games are in Pdf form.

D&D 4E: Haven't played in two or three years.
    D&D 3.5: I only have PHB1 and Book of Erotic Fantasy (don't judge me).
    D20 Modern: All of the books
    Marvel Heroic RPG: I love this system. Got all the pdfs
    Eclipse Phase: Signed Copy of the core book. Still is my White Whale game.
    All Flesh Must Be Eaten: Used to have more books. Now I only have the Fistful of Zombie
    Maids: You never forget your first.

Edit: Forgot Dresden Files and FATE. Got tool kit and Worlds vol. 1 and 2.

Edit 2: And Vanguard gave me Burning Wheel which I've still not played.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I stopped lugging my collection around a long time ago for practical purposes. With me currently (in physical form): FATE Core/Toolkit, Exalted 2e, 13th Age, Shadowrun 5E, L5R 3e (yes, I know), and Spycraft. I'll probably shelve Spycraft, Exalted, and L5R next time I visit my folks/my library. Due to arrive soon-ish: Fragged Empire.

The list of games I've played is extensive and I keep pdfs of most of them available.

Ardent on
  • Options
    I passed on the Fragged Empire kickstarter. I'll probably regret that.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I passed on the Fragged Empire kickstarter. I'll probably regret that.
    I spent more than I should and don't feel like I'm going to regret it at all. Every time he talks about the setting I'm like "Awww yeah, this is my jam."

Edit to add: they'll be doing BackerKit so you can still make a purchase if you want.

Ardent on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I should note that part of the reason for my small collection is because I also have a lot of boardgames and several thousands of dollars invested in wargames, too.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Getting deeper into Eclipse Phase, and man, this is not a setting you can just drop into. I can understand why you guys have so much trouble actually playing it.

It feels like the players need to read the whole book just to understand enough about the world to play.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    But you see why we want to play it.

• Options

It feels like a career decision to actually try and run a game of it though. :stuck_out_tongue:

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Lets See...Here's my list.

D&D: Basic, AD&D, 2E, 3.0E, 3.5E, 4E
    Star Wars: WEG, D20 & D20 Revised, SAGA editions (More and more interested in FFG's version these days)
    Battletech & MechWarrior (in the FASA days)
    Shadowrun 2nd edition
    Rifts
    Robotech/Macross II
    Mekton Z (Sold off back in university to my regret. Never played it, but had a great time coming up with mecha!)
    D20 Modern
    Deadlands (Borrowed from a friend for years, played for a few months, then returned back to him)
    The new Iron Kingdoms RPG (This one is my new hotness!)

• Options
    HuddsHudds Fool Just Outside TimeRegistered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    I got rid of almost all of my game books a few moves ago.

Currently all that I own are
    Edge of the Empire
    Age of Rebellion
    Mouse Guard (Not Played)
    Hellboy (Not Played)
    Adventure: Tales of the Aeon Society (Not Played)
    Savage Worlds
    Deadlands Reloaded
    Necessary Evil (Not Played. But I want to soooo bad)

The list of games I have played is pretty huge. DnD (Basic, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th), Elfquest, Palladium Fantasy, TMNT (Normal and After the Bomb), Robotech, Rifts, Beyond the Supernatural, Teenagers From Outer Space, Gamma World, Marvel RPG, Earthdawn (all editions), Mechton Zeta, an odd mix of Car Wars and Gurps, Shadowrun (all editions), Vampire, Werewolf, Changling, Hunter, Deadlands (original and reloaded), Cyberpunk 2020, and Star Wars (West End, D20, and FF). I think that is everything, but I may be missing something.
    I had been invited to play Toon a few times, but I always got weird vibes from the people that I met who played that.

Adventure is my second favorite among White Wolf's offerings. There's a lot there for a single book line. I enjoy the rest of the Aeon Continuum, Aberrant is a very cool take on Supers but the system seems a bit lacking for high powered anything. Adventure has a great feel. If you can talk your group into it, I highly recommend at least a one-shot.

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular

Mage and (to a lesser extent) Vampire are probably unplayable as written. Arguments about ambiguous D&D rules might get heated in the 5e and 4e threads, but D&D has always been an exemplar of clarity compared to older White Wolf games.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I played and ran Dark Heresy for several years but the majority of the supplements I've purchased have not seen much, if any use. I've got several books from Rogue Trader and Deathwatch, the two sister games to Dark Heresy, and have yet to play those.

• Options
    InkSplat wrote: »

It feels like a career decision to actually try and run a game of it though. :stuck_out_tongue:

If I had a clue of a good noir cyberpunk story, I would.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I forgot, I have a copy of Rifts at home, too! Or, at least I think I do. In the old apartment I lived in, the apartment next to mine had a fire and I lost all kinds of little things, so vanished without a trace, some probably just stuffed in boxes that I never would have put them in but the people who my insurance company sent to clean up and store my stuff until I could find I new place might have. I don't recall seeing Rifts anytime recently, but it should be somewhere.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Hudds wrote: »
    Adventure is my second favorite among White Wolf's offerings. There's a lot there for a single book line. I enjoy the rest of the Aeon Continuum, Aberrant is a very cool take on Supers but the system seems a bit lacking for high powered anything. Adventure has a great feel. If you can talk your group into it, I highly recommend at least a one-shot.

I loved reading it. One day...

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I still have almost all my books from middle/high school:

AD&D 1st ed
    AD&D 2nd ed + a ton of sourcebooks, including almost all the Spelljammer stuff.
    FASA Star Trek RPG
    FASA Star Trek: Starship Tactical Combat Simulator
    Shadowrun 1st Ed
    Shadowrun 2nd Ed + a ton of sourcebooks
    Toon! (which is maybe my favorite RPG)

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »

It definitely works well if everyone has read at least the core book introduction, but it's not as hard as you might think

Plus there are some very good free adventures to download!

I've run it twice and played it twice, turned out great!

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    Quick pass on the bookshelf shows I got

D&D 3.x (hella books)
    D&D 4e (also hella)
    FATE (set of the kickstarter stuff)
    Cute & Fuzzy Cockfighting Seizure Monsters (don't judge me)
    Don't Rest Your Head (my favorite, also have Don't Lose Your Mind)
    Torchbearer (this book is gorgeous)

I also have the character creation rules from the Eclipse Phase pdf printed out and stuck in a three ring binder, and Old School Hack also printed albeit in a pile!

I used to have an outrageous amount of Dungeon magazine, too, but I ended up being persuaded to toss them several years back.

• Options

Mage and (to a lesser extent) Vampire are probably unplayable as written. Arguments about ambiguous D&D rules might get heated in the 5e and 4e threads, but D&D has always been an exemplar of clarity compared to older White Wolf games.
    I've actually played both Ascension and Masquerade. Apocalypse was arguably unplayable, although really it just broke down to murderhoboing.

The whole thing was enabled by people looking at the rules, going "Okay..." and then vigorous house ruling.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    None of the nWoD games are unplayable at all

Some of them are more playable than others, but even the most mechanically janky parts of those systems are few and far between

The second editions we are getting are much more playable and smooth but Mage is a great game as it is, and despite a few niggly bits is just fine

• Options
    I've apparently spent a lot of time playing "unplayable" games...

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Some of them are more playable than others, but even the most mechanically janky parts of those systems are few and far between

The second editions we are getting are much more playable and smooth but Mage is a great game as it is, and despite a few niggly bits is just fine

I think they were talking about the oWoD line there. It's arguable but I wouldn't describe them as unplayable. They did kinda have this "Balance isn't really our issue" attitude about them. If you were looking to use the old Storyteller system for a hack and slash adventure....well it wasn't great.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

The worst is Geist. Which is playable in the sense the rules are complete, but broken in that they break far easier then you'd expect.

• Options
    The issue with the oWoD is that the books never really imparted what a game looked like. It was very hard to read those and get a sense of what the average session looked like and, if you didn't have someone to show you the way, the game probably died after a session or two.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Alright, let me think...not counting books placed in the Storage Attic of Shame, and counting only core rulebooks, and not counting PDFs, and not counting multiple editions of the same game, and working only from memory, on my Shelf of Triumph I have...

Ashen Stars, Mutant City Blues, Trail of Cthulhu, Night's Black Agents, Ars Magica, Unknown Armies, Eclipse Phase, Call of Cthulhu, Basic Roleplaying, The Laundry, Dark Ages Cthulhu, Legend, Runequest, Nephilim, Stormbringer, World of Darkness (w/ Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Promethean, Changeling, Hunter, Geist, Demon and Innocents, but not Mummy), Kult, Over the Edge, Feng Shui, Talislanta, Legend of the Five Rings, Godlike, Wild Talents, Monsters and Other Childish Things, Reign, A Dirty World, Mutants & Masterminds, Fate Core, The Dresden Files, Hillfolk, Dust Devils, Dogs in the Vineyard, Cold City, Hot War, Angel, Buffy, Ghosts of Albion, Army of Darkness, Witchcraft, Armageddon, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Conspiracy X, Savage Worlds, Wraith: The Oblivion, Mage: The Ascension, Mage: The Sorcerer's Crusade, Diaspora, The Kerberos Club (Fate), Starblazer, Legends of Anglerre, Paranoia XP, Traveller, Unhallowed Metropolis, GURPS, A Song of Ice and Fire, Dungeons & Dragons (4th), Dark Heresy, Alternity, Hollow Earth Expedition, Witch Hunter, Pendragon, Tribe 8 and god knows what else.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    The issue with the oWoD is that the books never really imparted what a game looked like. It was very hard to read those and get a sense of what the average session looked like and, if you didn't have someone to show you the way, the game probably died after a session or two.

This.
    To use a term coined in this insightful RPG.net post, oWoD games tended to suffer from a lack of obvious rut.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I feel a lot like Grunt's Ghosts re: my collection... But his is huge compared to mine
    I have:
    D&D 4e (lots of books)
    D&D 5e
    Call of Cthulhu (never played D:)
    Trail of Cthulhu
    All Flesh Must Be Eaten (GM'd a game for about a month during lunch breaks)
    Eclipse Phase (played a couple times; love the settinf)

I have played some Vampire, and D&D 3.5 was what I played in high school. And I think we tried to play Dresden Files (FATE?) once. I love rpgs (and rpg books) but it was always hard to get someone to GM, and I was never really good at it. Nowadays, I don't know many people who live close enough to easily play with.

Oh yeah, there was also some Paranoia LARP I participated in a couple times at a local con.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Yeah, I think there's just too much going on in Eclipse Phase for me to want to run it. I just look at the NPC blocks and go "Ugh." Like, really, when FFG went "Forget tracking precise talents for NPCs, here's the Adversary Talent!", it probably saved the game for me.

Its just so much nicer to track NPCs based on "What makes sense?" than making them follow the same rules as PCs. Like, why am I tracking all the various Morph stats/Implants this NPC who will die in 1 round has?

In my younger days, sure. But I don't have the patience for it any more. Maybe I'll hack EP to FATE... :innocent:

As for my current collection:
    All the FFG Star Wars books currently released
    Dogs in the Vineyard
    Dungeon World, Apocalypse World, Monster Hearts, Urban Shadows, Monster of the Week
    Dread
    Grimm
    Hollow Point
    Mouse Guard
    Nobilis

Got rid of my D&D 4e stuff in my last move, and rid of my 3.5 stuff long before that.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    AFMBE. :^:

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Eclipse Phase is getting an official fate conversion, actually. It's still being playtested so it won't be out for a while, though.

• Options
    I feel a lot like Grunt's Ghosts re: my collection... But his is huge compared to mine
    I have:
    D&D 4e (lots of books)
    D&D 5e
    Call of Cthulhu (never played D:)
    Trail of Cthulhu
    Eclipse Phase (played a couple times; love the settinf)

I have played some Vampire, and D&D 3.5 was what I played in high school. And I think we tried to play Dresden Files (FATE?) once. I love rpgs (and rpg books) but it was always hard to get someone to GM, and I was never really good at it. Nowadays, I don't know many people who live close enough to easily play with.

Oh yeah, there was also some Paranoia LARP I participated in a couple times at a local con.

Most of mine are Pdfs, so that makes it easy on me. And I forgot 13th Age. Which is weird as it's been the game I've been looking at for the last few days...

• Options
    Eclipse Phase is getting an official fate conversion, actually. It's still being playtested so it won't be out for a while, though.

I don't actually care for FATE from what I've read, I was just kidding.

But oh my god, I just realized that there is no information in the book on how to balance encounters or anything. And no consolidated section with NPCs, instead they're scattered all over the book. That is awful. You spend like 150+ pages on fluff, but nothing on how to make things balanced and fun? Ew. Think that is where I officially tap out.

This discussion has been closed.