Options

[Superhero Movies] James Spader, we would have words with thee.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    she specifically says that Tony made the sash, so it's definitely possible he made the helmet as well

So what does the sash do?

Besides look really fashionable, I mean.

It's ultra-strong and stretchy, basically.

...like every superhero costume ever (except the ones that are metal)?

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    she specifically says that Tony made the sash, so it's definitely possible he made the helmet as well

So what does the sash do?

Besides look really fashionable, I mean.

It's ultra-strong and stretchy, basically.

...like every superhero costume ever (except the ones that are metal)?

Well, every superhero costume that belongs to someone with a personal connection to a super-scientist.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I think it was part of the new hair. She still has long hair, but pins it up and has a Tony-helmet that slides into place. She doesn't even really need it, because of her powers, but it helps her not have to focus on using those powers to do what the helmet does(oxygen when in space & such)

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    DC Comics tells Paul Pope, "Sorry, not interested."
    "Batman did pretty well, so I sat down with the head of DC Comics. I really wanted to do 'Kamandi [The Last Boy on Earth]', this Jack Kirby character. I had this great pitch… and he said 'You think this is gonna be for kids? Stop, stop. We don't publish comics for kids. We publish comics for 45-year olds. If you want to do comics for kids, you can do 'Scooby-Doo.' And I thought, 'I guess we just broke up.'"

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Attitudes like that are why Marvel is kicking your ass, DC.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    rest of the article's worth a read too, by the way

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    That is doubly stupid, beyond just not letting Paul goddamn Pope do Kamandi, considering DC had put out a few kid-friendly titles pre-reboot that were great. Batgirl and Blue Beetle both spring to mind.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    we could have had paul pope do kamandi: last boy on earth?

but

that would have been amazing

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Blue Beetle was so good.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    You would think that DC would realize you can tell a story ostensibly targeted at kids or teens while still being entertaining to adults what with the multiple acclaimed animated series based on their own properties doing that very thing.

But then again it is DC

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Maybe it's ignorance on my part, but 45 seems like an odd target demographic for comics.

• Options
    Maybe it's ignorance on my part, but 45 seems like an odd target demographic for comics.
    Nah, the average age of a comic buyer is probably like 30-45

I am 21 and I am an outlier

Let alone teenagers

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

15 years ago they were probably targeting 30-year olds.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Nah, the average age of a comic buyer is probably like 30-45

I am 21 and I am an outlier

Let alone teenagers

Interesting, I would have guessed 20-30.

• Options
    the idea that they market their product exclusively to 45-year-old neckbeards explains a lot about dc

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    So New 52 wasn't supposed to attract brand new readers, it was supposed to bring back people who read comics in the 1970s?

No wonder Marvel NOW kicked it's ass.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

I mean, take that quote with a grain of salt, it was tossed off in an interview that wasn't even really about DC comics

but it does line up with their marketing and even if pope's exaggerating there, I don't doubt that there's a bit of truth to what he's saying

• Options
    DC is 2024 Rand Paul, and Marvel is 2008 Obama

• Options
    the only question remaining is, why does DC marketing think a bunch of socially malformed old guys is a sustainable target demographic

• Options
    What's the significance of 2024? Or is it just that ron paul will be even less significant then?

• Options
  • Options
    What's the significance of 2024? Or is it just that ron paul will be even less significant then?

it's another election year

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'm 27, as for comic book buying people who hang out at my lcs, I'm one of the youngest, there's a few guys who go to the localchristinn college, but most of them are card/rpg guts. Comic guys are much older.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    comics are kind of an expensive hobby

that prices a lot of younger people right out

• Options
    Yeah, $4.00 for a 22 page comic is obscene. I guess you can hock the digital code.

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    I was just talking about this the other day. When I was at my peak of comic buying in the early 90s, most books were $1.xx, which allowed me to buy X-men, Uncanny, X-force, X-factor, Wolverine, Batman, and Detective Comics every month. I would usually pick a few others that caught my eye too, like an Iron Man or Spidey. Were I a kid today, I would be able to buy half as many books, at most.

It actually makes sense that they see adults as the target audience, because kids can't fucking afford it.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, comics get pricey. I sell my digital codes which helps but even with that it isn't the cheapest hobby.

I was hoping digital comics would provide a good alternative for kids and people who can't pay that much. They have in some cases, DC's are .99 and others like The Private Eye are pay what you want, but Marvel's Infinite Comics(which are making the most out of the medium in my opinion) are 2.99 which is way too much for a digital comic that is a little shorter than a usual issue

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    And it is a lot cheaper to buy trades and graphic novels and manga. And all of those things are easier to store and easier to read than floppies.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Not really some of the trades are a real pain to get compared to the floppies
    Or there is a lot of misinformation about what trade is what I looking at you Dark Horse

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Trades are a godsend

Except the ones on the current TMNT run, they're awful

Why? Because trades usually save you money by collecting six issues (which are normally $4 a pop) in one sturdy volume for anywhere from $18-20, saving you money if you're willing to wait a little bit

Meanwhile TMNT trades only contain four issues and retail for $17.99, meaning it actually costs you $2 more to wait

Seriously, the fuck is up with that

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Comics are weird in the entertainment world because of just how huge the universes involved are too. The only non-comics property that comes close is Star Wars, I think. With Harry Potter, there's seven books and that's pretty much it. With comics, you could spend hundreds of dollars reading the complete adventures of just one character.

• Options
    Comics are weird in the entertainment world because of just how huge the universes involved are too. The only non-comics property that comes close is Star Wars, I think. With Harry Potter, there's seven books and that's pretty much it. With comics, you could spend hundreds of dollars reading the complete adventures of just one character.
    Biggests ones I can think of are Bond, Sherlock Holmes and the Cthulhu Mythos, and those don't hold a candle to sixty+ years of active, ongoing development.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Biggests ones I can think of are Bond, Sherlock Holmes and the Cthulhu Mythos, and those don't hold a candle to sixty+ years of active, ongoing development.

Doctor Who has had more or less consistent development since 1963.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Oh yeah, that's a big'un. Though it was off the air for years. Aside from the movie in 1996, there was a giant hiatus from 1989-2005.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, that's a big'un. Though it was off the air for years. Aside from the movie in 1996, there was a giant hiatus from 1989-2005.

But there were still books and audioplays being produced.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I wonder with the change to digital would comics still be so abusedly priced?

• Options
    Was watching some season 5 parks & rec

"Why does Chris Pratt look so familiar?"

oh he's just

something like 13 days younger than me

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    but why does he look so familiar?

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    facial structure and hair type

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I wonder with the change to digital would comics still be so abusedly priced?

Yes.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

This discussion has been closed.