Options

Adventure Time: 4 specials coming soon to HBO Max

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Pretty good Marcelene stuff going on in the two new episodes.

Explains quite a bit, but also leaves me confused how the King of the Underworld is her dad.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Aye! So good

poo
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Pretty good Marcelene stuff going on in the two new episodes.

Explains quite a bit, but also leaves me confused how the King of the Underworld is her dad.

Yeah, hopefully that gets explained in some of the upcoming eps.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Isn't he simply her biological father? She has his complexion and
    soul/essence sucking habit

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Apparently at some point in the past, Hunsen was able to manifest on the physical plane and seduced Marceline's mom. Seems pretty simple to me.

• Options
    I would honestly be a little disappointed if it were as simple as that.

• Options
    Maybe her Mum seduced Hunson?

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    I would honestly be a little disappointed if it were as simple as that.

sometimes its just that simple. gotta have the mundane to make the fantastic be all fantastical.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    If they make the creation of one of the best characters in the series from one of the best places in the series (the Nightosphere) mundane, I will take my ball and go home.

Go home I say!

• Options
    Speculation/prediction:

Hunson's cowboy boots were a present from Marceline's mom and they had the most mundane relationship (beside the fact that Hunson is the demon ruler of the Nightosphere).

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Hmm...

V.K. is a lion, so he must be Strength, right?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    honovere wrote: »
    Speculation/prediction:

Hunson's cowboy boots were a present from Marceline's mom and they had the most mundane relationship (beside the fact that Hunson is the demon ruler of the Nightosphere).

I mean that seems obvious. His non job life from what weve seen is fairly normal

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    He's a creature of chaos, he can do as he damn well pleases. If he wants to be all gooey and romantic over a girl, then dammit, that's chaos for you. It's not going to be all evil and soul-sucking.. that would be pretty predictable, really.

Also I just finished Stakes and I loved it but
    maaaaan that was some of the FuriKuriest shit ever since FuriKuri itself.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Yeah, that seemed like a real intentional reference to me.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Just finished Stakes. The backstory material and vampires were interesting, but I've long since grown tired of Adventure Time teasing major shake-ups to the status quo and then undermining them in a few episodes.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    finn would have been badass to keep his missing arm. even get a mecha prosthesis from Peebs.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    I think I've just had to come to terms with the fact "major shake-ups to the status quo" isn't what Adventure Time is about. They're always going to reset things at the end, but the characters are going to be a little different than when they started. Finn and PB and Marceline have all had a lot of character growth since the start of the series even if their status quo is basically the same.

The song in Stakes (Everything Stays) seemed to be all about that - everything stays more or less the same, but it changes a little bit too. I started enjoying the series a lot more once I stopped expecting it to go anywhere and decided to just enjoy the ride.

I have a twitter.
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Charmy wrote: »
    I think I've just had to come to terms with the fact "major shake-ups to the status quo" isn't what Adventure Time is about. They're always going to reset things at the end, but the characters are going to be a little different than when they started. Finn and PB and Marceline have all had a lot of character growth since the start of the series even if their status quo is basically the same.

The song in Stakes (Everything Stays) seemed to be all about that - everything stays more or less the same, but it changes a little bit too. I started enjoying the series a lot more once I stopped expecting it to go anywhere and decided to just enjoy the ride.

There's a running theme in the show, of late, about how things change while remaining the same. The meteor, the Vampire King, cycles that cannot be stopped, but which bring about change.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I'm fine with it because the stuff in Stakes felt like it was earned a lot more. Not like that weird-ass Bee episode.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    For me at least adventure time has always been about the character stuff rather than arcing meta-plots, or whatever, which I find a little hit or miss.
    So, on those grounds, I found Stakes to be a lot of fun, though I am a sucker for a quirky, themed villain squad.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Is the marceline mini series done?

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Yep, finished last week

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I think the real complaint is; FINISH THE ICE KING STORY ALREADY, DAMNIT!

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Charmy wrote: »

There's a running theme in the show, of late, about how things change while remaining the same. The meteor, the Vampire King, cycles that cannot be stopped, but which bring about change.

I'd be more okay with that if they didn't do things like have Jake get out of having to be a parent by having his kids age to maturity in a single episode or have Finn lose his arm (which had been foreshadowed for years) only for it to magically regenerate a few episodes later or have the comet, a supernatural agent of change, only take away Finn's dad and nothing else.

Making anticlimaxes the show's running theme is a weird choice. Lemongrab's arc has been the major exception, and I really like it for that reason.

As for Stakes in particular, I felt less like it developed Marceline as a character and more like it made her act out of character only for her to go back to normal. Her initial refusal to help fight the Cloud was incomprehensible.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    This discussion kind of mystifies me. So much changes so fast in that show. Characters have died or moved on permanently. Relationships have been permanently formed and permanently destroyed. I was thinking about this a lot last night.

HUGE SPOILERS READ ONLY IF YOU'RE CAUGHT UP
    That arm Finn's got is super-fancy and really looks and acts just like an arm should, but it's not his and hasn't been since he first held the grass sword, which always looked out for him and which will be with him until the end of time. Note: in the episode where he follows Lemongrab to Matthew, when he goes through the mirror he is still missing an arm. He runs off the end of it and keeps going because there is something there, but it is not really his arm. None of the other prosthetics he was gifted worked, but those princesses only "meant well." They didn't take the time to get to know him, or love him, or try to really understand the pain he was in; they saw someone they knew who was sad and they wanted to make that go away. Breezy did take that time, though, and her parting gift to him was a lovingly-crafted fake that worked with his body. It was made using the grass sword she could see he was bonded with already (remember, once he'd accepted it he could control it like it was part of him), and which she, as a new queen, could commune with to make that bond stronger. The character is repeatedly shown to be destined to lose the arm for good even before he loses it in the Citadel; in no other incarnation, timeline, or reality does he keep it. This one is the same. The grass sword, now the arm, still protects him and looks after him, but it is not really his.

He's basically a cyborg but with plants, and his primary weapon changes without going back about once a season or so, on average.

Flame Princess was freed and became the new ruler of the Fire Kingdom, and when she and Finn broke up, she never went back to him and he's still not over it. She moved on and Cinnamon Bun went with her. He now pledges loyalty to her over Princess Bubblegum.

Finn and Jake started out seeing the Ice King as nothing but a villain who was vaguely evil and stood in the way of fun. Now they can see his sickness and they've taken him in.

Jake had children. The humans are no longer sewer-bound. We met Finn's biological father and he left with the comet.

The Ancient Sleeping Magi of Life-Giving is an addition and has been awesome. Betty is an addition. She goes insane. Magic Man is no longer magic. The King of Mars dies. Glob dies.

Ghost Princess finds her love and the two of them are able to move on. They never come back.

The Lich is a (rather giant) small child now. A small child with an inner monologue voiced by Ron Perlman, but a small child nonetheless.

I think everything "goes back to normal" because, despite massive changes to our lives and surroundings and what those things mean to us, we are people and we adjust and all those changes become the "new normal." It's why those cycles are cycles, to be repeated or relived forever - while everything changes so much and so fast, we really can't change like that. If our partners leave us, if buildings come and go and leadership changes, when our loved ones die or we get a new pet or we try a new food or we learn something we would have thought unforgivable about someone close to us... in the end we need to adjust to cope. As long as tomorrow comes, life has to go on eventually, and the bigger and more incomprehensible the change the farther into the background it needs to go. We cling to the comforts of the old as long as we can, and then little by little we let go until the differences can be mundane.

I don't think "everything stays" means "nothing changes," or "things change but slowly or imperceptibly." It's true, if something is left undisturbed you will be able to find it again just where it was, and it will have changed perhaps only slightly. But the thing left in the garden is not a tool or a toy. It's not a building or a regime. It's not environmental. It's us. The show is Finn's adolescence; it's about his growth. We start out so bright and shiny and are bombarded by sweeping, sometimes systemic, sometimes even archetypical changes. The object left experiences scorching sun, harsh weather, changing seasons. Things step on it, use it for shelter, they grow in and under it, and it sees everything that goes through it and goes by, in the process becoming weary and maybe a little faded. But it stays.

We stay.

I really like Adventure Time.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    ceres wrote: »
    This discussion kind of mystifies me. So much changes so fast in that show. Characters have died or moved on permanently. Relationships have been permanently formed and permanently destroyed. I was thinking about this a lot last night.

That arm Finn's got is super-fancy and really looks and acts just like an arm should, but it's not his and hasn't been since he first held the grass sword, which always looked out for him and which will be with him until the end of time. Note: in the episode where he follows Lemongrab to Matthew, when he goes through the mirror he is still missing an arm. He runs off the end of it and keeps going because there is something there, but it is not really his arm. None of the other prosthetics he was gifted worked, but those princesses only "meant well." They didn't take the time to get to know him, or love him, or try to really understand the pain he was in; they saw someone they knew who was sad and they wanted to make that go away. Breezy did take that time, though, and her parting gift to him was a lovingly-crafted fake that worked with his body. It was made using the grass sword she could see he was bonded with already (remember, once he'd accepted it he could control it like it was part of him), and which she, as a new queen, could commune with to make that bond stronger. The character is repeatedly shown to be destined to lose the arm for good even before he loses it in the Citadel; in no other incarnation, timeline, or reality does he keep it. This one is the same. The grass sword, now the arm, still protects him and looks after him, but it is not really his.

He's basically a cyborg but with plants, and his primary weapon changes without going back about once a season or so, on average.

Flame Princess was freed and became the new ruler of the Fire Kingdom, and when she and Finn broke up, she never went back to him and he's still not over it. She moved on and Cinnamon Bun went with her. He now pledges loyalty to her over Princess Bubblegum.

Finn and Jake started out seeing the Ice King as nothing but a villain who was vaguely evil and stood in the way of fun. Now they can see his sickness and they've taken him in.

Jake had children. The humans are no longer sewer-bound. We met Finn's biological father and he left with the comet.

The Ancient Sleeping Magi of Life-Giving is an addition and has been awesome. Betty is an addition. She goes insane. Magic Man is no longer magic. The King of Mars dies. Glob dies.

Ghost Princess finds her love and the two of them are able to move on. They never come back.

The Lich is a (rather giant) small child now. A small child with an inner monologue voiced by Ron Perlman, but a small child nonetheless.

I think everything "goes back to normal" because, despite massive changes to our lives and surroundings and what those things mean to us, we are people and we adjust and all those changes become the "new normal." It's why those cycles are cycles, to be repeated or relived forever - while everything changes so much and so fast, we really can't change like that. If our partners leave us, if buildings come and go and leadership changes, when our loved ones die or we get a new pet or we try a new food or we learn something we would have thought unforgivable about someone close to us... in the end we need to adjust to cope. As long as tomorrow comes, life has to go on eventually, and the bigger and more incomprehensible the change the farther into the background it needs to go. We cling to the comforts of the old as long as we can, and then little by little we let go until the differences can be mundane.

I don't think "everything stays" means "nothing changes," or "things change but slowly or imperceptibly." It's true, if something is left undisturbed you will be able to find it again just where it was, and it will have changed perhaps only slightly. But the thing left in the garden is not a tool or a toy. It's not a building or a regime. It's not environmental. It's us. The show is Finn's adolescence; it's about his growth. We start out so bright and shiny and are bombarded by sweeping, sometimes systemic, sometimes even archetypical changes. The object left experiences scorching sun, harsh weather, changing seasons. Things step on it, use it for shelter, they grow in and under it, and it sees everything that goes through it and goes by, in the process becoming weary and maybe a little faded. But it stays.

We stay.

I agree with this in general but

Spoilers for Stakes
    Didn't really feel like they had earned Marcy turning back into a Vampire. Considering we now know that her powers don't tie directly into her being a Vampire it felt Weird.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I think that miniseries, and that message specifically that ceres and charmy expand on, push this show to one of my favorites of all time. That message, that life lesson, is everywhere in the show when you think about it, and it's just so unlike anything I've seen in TV (live action or animated). I had to rewatch the full miniseries twice just to comprehend that they pulled it off to begin with, let alone in such a well-done manner.

Stakes
    That message even comes across in the reality of the song (Rebecca's first since leaving for SU; she left full-time, but came back for a special. Her circumstances changed, but in a way her involvement with the show stayed, she stayed, and I just thought that was so cool that it was displayed in the song itself)

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    First of all, mark your fucking spoilers. If I hadn't finished Stakes this week I would be really fucking pissed at you right now.

Second, finding Marceline's actions incomprehensible just tells me that you are incapable of relating to her. She's not "our hero", she is old and tired and going to outlive all this bullshit anyway. That's the entire point of the miniseries from the first five minutes of it and you somehow missed it.

• Options
    The Hyoomans aren't Human.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    First of all, mark your fucking spoilers. If I hadn't finished Stakes this week I would be really fucking pissed at you right now.

Second, finding Marceline's actions incomprehensible just tells me that you are incapable of relating to her. She's not "our hero", she is old and tired and going to outlive all this bullshit anyway. That's the entire point of the miniseries from the first five minutes of it and you somehow missed it.

Oh ok that wasn't for me nevermind.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options

We stay.

I agree with this in general but

Spoilers for Stakes
    Didn't really feel like they had earned Marcy turning back into a Vampire. Considering we now know that her powers don't tie directly into her being a Vampire it felt Weird.
    I was disappointed, but I also feel like it was addressed. The Vampire King told her exactly what what happen: if she fought she would become a vampire again. I think she went in knowing that. In his arrogance he thought they could consciously break the cycle without chance figuring in, but yeah, it doesn't always work that way and sometimes chance fucks us.

• Options
    Morkath wrote: »
    They are almost as much as Finn. They have gills and Susan has.. whatever that thing is, but they are the direct descendants of the surviving human population after the mushroom wars.

• Options
    Morkath wrote: »
    They are almost as much as Finn. They have gills and Susan has.. whatever that thing is, but they are the direct descendants of the surviving human population after the mushroom wars.

Right, but they aren't human. A lot of things in the AT world USED to be human, but aren't anymore because they were mutated or changed by all the different bullshit.
    Plus they have a lot more than gills, they have fish for heads.
    Susan MIGHT be human, but it is hard to say how much of her is actually replaced by cybernetics or if she is a robot.

In relation to Stakes;
    Are they even the same tribe of humans we see Marcy help? Those were going to another continent. It's possible they came back after getting mutated I guess.

In relation to stakes/Marcy;
    The problem with her reluctance to help wasn't the fact she was tired, it was how quickly she changed her mind.

"I'm tired of being a vampire, I want to be a human so I can live!"

A couple days later after literally have just fought a bunch of vampires to protect the rest of the planet.

"I'm not going to fight that thing that is killing my friends, because I'm tired."

5 minutes later.

"Oh wait, yes I am."

If the giant death vampire cloud had happened first, it would have made sense. She just gave up all that shit so she could be normal, she doesn't want to get dragged back in. Instead she gave it up, willingly dove back in to help at the first opportunity that her actions caused a problem, then decided she was done, then decided she wasn't.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I think, all in all, after Stakes I'm just glad that
    The Lion is free from being the Vampire king and gets to be a sweet ass lion again

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    If you don't think Marcelene changed after Stakes then you weren't paying attention

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Can we stop it with the "you just don't get it" stuff?

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Sometimes people just completely miss the point. It's not bad to point that out

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Sometimes people just completely miss the point. It's not bad to point that out. Helps you learn, more often than not, in fact

No it doesn't. Telling someone, "You just don't get it", does nothing but claim you are smarter or better than that other person. It is a goosey response.

If you want to help them, explain why you think they are different or what you think has actually changed.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Sometimes people just completely miss the point. It's not bad to point that out. Helps you learn, more often than not, in fact

Sometimes if people miss "the point" the work isn't making the point very well.

No I don't.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I actually said "incapable of relating," and that the person who commented on her actions in the miniseries managed to miss literally the entire point of it.
    Marceline is old and tired. The entire miniseries from minute one is about how old and tired she is, how she wants to be mortal, and she wants to die. She's been fighting her whole life, sometimes for a cause, sometimes for recognition, and she's a more than a thousand years old. She doesn't want to do it anymore. She doesn't decide to become mortal so she can be a hero and fight more and save everybody, that's ridiculous. When she realizes she made a big mess she tries to fix it. Once they've finally cleaned it up it all gets spilt again, and her options become "fight some more when it's just going to get messed up again and keep happening" or "sit there and feel sorry for herself". She chooses the latter until her good friend says something to snap her out of it, and then she goes to help.

It takes very little active thought to come to that conclusion.

The person used the word "incomprehensible". I'm not sure what you think that word means other than "doesn't get it". No explanation was asked for, or I would have given it. It's not incomprehensible, the person just doesn't relate. I love Adventure Time. I put a hell of a lot of thought into the story, because I think most of it is brilliant, by accident or otherwise. I will cheerfully explain every last detail of the show as I see it, and I relate pretty strongly to Marceline in particular. But even if I didn't, her thoughts and intentions as they relate to her actions are laid out pretty clearly throughout the miniseries; it's not a particularly complicated story line, with the whole history of the series to back it up.

ceres on