Options

Adventure Time: 4 specials coming soon to HBO Max

12729313233

Posts

  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Morkath wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    The Hyoomans aren't Human.
    They are almost as much as Finn. They have gills and Susan has.. whatever that thing is, but they are the direct descendants of the surviving human population after the mushroom wars.

    Right, but they aren't human. A lot of things in the AT world USED to be human, but aren't anymore because they were mutated or changed by all the different bullshit.
    Plus they have a lot more than gills, they have fish for heads.
    Susan MIGHT be human, but it is hard to say how much of her is actually replaced by cybernetics or if she is a robot.
    I think you can be pretty sure they're descended. Stakes even explains why they wear the hats. It's a personal theory, though, that the boat is wrecked at some point and Beautopia grows from that.

    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    The Hyoomans aren't Human.
    They are almost as much as Finn. They have gills and Susan has.. whatever that thing is, but they are the direct descendants of the surviving human population after the mushroom wars.

    Right, but they aren't human. A lot of things in the AT world USED to be human, but aren't anymore because they were mutated or changed by all the different bullshit.
    Plus they have a lot more than gills, they have fish for heads.
    Susan MIGHT be human, but it is hard to say how much of her is actually replaced by cybernetics or if she is a robot.
    I think you can be pretty sure they're descended. Stakes even explains why they wear the hats. It's a personal theory, though, that the boat is wrecked at some point and Beautopia grows from that.

    I can see that as being the case. That makes me wonder how old Susan actually is?
    Was she the replacement for Marcy, to protect the remaining humans from any other dangers? Is she just a cyborg or is she actually a robot?

    I love AT, but I do wish they would tie up some of the hooks without adding 50 others.

  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    I actually said "incapable of relating," and that the person who commented on her actions in the miniseries managed to miss literally the entire point of it.

    That's not much different.

  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Morkath wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    The Hyoomans aren't Human.
    They are almost as much as Finn. They have gills and Susan has.. whatever that thing is, but they are the direct descendants of the surviving human population after the mushroom wars.

    Right, but they aren't human. A lot of things in the AT world USED to be human, but aren't anymore because they were mutated or changed by all the different bullshit.
    Plus they have a lot more than gills, they have fish for heads.
    Susan MIGHT be human, but it is hard to say how much of her is actually replaced by cybernetics or if she is a robot.
    I think you can be pretty sure they're descended. Stakes even explains why they wear the hats. It's a personal theory, though, that the boat is wrecked at some point and Beautopia grows from that.

    I can see that as being the case. That makes me wonder how old Susan actually is?
    Was she the replacement for Marcy, to protect the remaining humans from any other dangers? Is she just a cyborg or is she actually a robot?

    I love AT, but I do wish they would tie up some of the hooks without adding 50 others.
    Actually another pet theory is that Susan is actually Finn's sibling (there was another baby there in the flashback of Martin's story backing me up). I feel like the evidence is pretty strong.. she also has no gills, for example.

    I can go into it at length but as you can tell I'm pretty far down the rabbit hole here.

    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Do you remember what episode that was? I don't remember seeing the second kid. Not saying it wasn't there, just wanted to re-watch it to see.

    I can see it being plausible, they look alike (which isn't saying too much given the art style), but also have very similar hair.

  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Morkath wrote: »
    Do you remember what episode that was? I don't remember seeing the second kid. Not saying it wasn't there, just wanted to re-watch it to see.

    I can see it being plausible, they look alike (which isn't saying too much given the art style), but also have very similar hair.

    It was The Visitor.

    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    ceres wrote: »
    I actually said "incapable of relating," and that the person who commented on her actions in the miniseries managed to miss literally the entire point of it.
    Marceline is old and tired. The entire miniseries from minute one is about how old and tired she is, how she wants to be mortal, and she wants to die. She's been fighting her whole life, sometimes for a cause, sometimes for recognition, and she's a more than a thousand years old. She doesn't want to do it anymore. She doesn't decide to become mortal so she can be a hero and fight more and save everybody, that's ridiculous. When she realizes she made a big mess she tries to fix it. Once they've finally cleaned it up it all gets spilt again, and her options become "fight some more when it's just going to get messed up again and keep happening" or "sit there and feel sorry for herself". She chooses the latter until her good friend says something to snap her out of it, and then she goes to help.

    First off, I think I was mainly thrown by her saying that
    fighting vampires in the first place was a mistake. What, she thinks she should've just let the humans (hyoomins?) get wiped out by the vampires? Further, the Cloud would have never come to be if Princess Bubblegum hadn't just put it in a poorly-secured bucket and not even bothered to dispose of it herself, so it's not really Marceline's fault. Marceline also didn't say she wanted to die, but that she would be okay with it; she said she wanted to grow-up, and was okay with becoming a vampire again because she believed she had grown-up. She hadn't been fighting for 1000 years, either; Marceline fought vampires for most of her teens, and since then has pretty much been free to do whatever.

    Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »
    I actually said "incapable of relating," and that the person who commented on her actions in the miniseries managed to miss literally the entire point of it.
    Marceline is old and tired. The entire miniseries from minute one is about how old and tired she is, how she wants to be mortal, and she wants to die. She's been fighting her whole life, sometimes for a cause, sometimes for recognition, and she's a more than a thousand years old. She doesn't want to do it anymore. She doesn't decide to become mortal so she can be a hero and fight more and save everybody, that's ridiculous. When she realizes she made a big mess she tries to fix it. Once they've finally cleaned it up it all gets spilt again, and her options become "fight some more when it's just going to get messed up again and keep happening" or "sit there and feel sorry for herself". She chooses the latter until her good friend says something to snap her out of it, and then she goes to help.

    First off, I think I was mainly thrown by her saying that
    fighting vampires in the first place was a mistake. What, she thinks she should've just let the humans (hyoomins?) get wiped out by the vampires? Further, the Cloud would have never come to be if Princess Bubblegum hadn't just put it in a poorly-secured bucket and not even bothered to dispose of it herself, so it's not really Marceline's fault. Marceline also didn't say she wanted to die, but that she would be okay with it; she said she wanted to grow-up, and was okay with becoming a vampire again because she believed she had grown-up. She hadn't been fighting for 1000 years, either; Marceline fought vampires for most of her teens, and since then has pretty much been free to do whatever.
    I don't really think she thought that. I think it was just part of her process. People think all kinds of kinda crappy things when they're sitting around feeling sorry for themselves.. we just happened to be privy to her having a "moment".

    And yeah, fair point that she only fought vampires for so long since after that she was the only one, but that's not the only fighting she ever did. She's fought a ton of monsters in her time alive, and as mentioned, the fights haven't all been physical. She's also spent a lot of her life seeking some kind of validation from her father and watched Simon's crown destroy him.

    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2015
    I think the whole thing would have worked a lot better had this not been a special. It should have been the first 1-2 parts, then a few other episodes pass, then episode 3-4, then a few more other episodes, then 5 (which should have been a two parter)
    With the cloud running a lot more rampant before Marcy finally realizes she has to get involved to protect people, that her friends need her help, like she needed theirs with the vampires.

    Add some breathing room in there, so her transition between the three states she goes through feels more natural.

    Morkath on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    Do you remember what episode that was? I don't remember seeing the second kid. Not saying it wasn't there, just wanted to re-watch it to see.

    I can see it being plausible, they look alike (which isn't saying too much given the art style), but also have very similar hair.

    It was The Visitor.

    There was baby finn during the comet dream, and baby finn with a teddy bear during the boat flashback. I didn't see another kid?

  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    Can we stop it with the "you just don't get it" stuff?

    Sorry, I was phone posting and didn't feel like spoilering things:
    Marcelene was an immature kid when she became a vampire. She said that nothing changes due to being a vampire, including your state of mind. She wanted to grow and live which required being mortal again.

    She got it and learned and grew through interacting with her friends and the vamps.

    So even though she's a vampire again, she's more mature and solid than she was before. It's a pretty big change to her character, tbh.

  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    Can we stop it with the "you just don't get it" stuff?

    Sorry, I was phone posting and didn't feel like spoilering things:
    Marcelene was an immature kid when she became a vampire. She said that nothing changes due to being a vampire, including your state of mind. She wanted to grow and live which required being mortal again.

    Yea, about that...
    So 1000 years of life as a vampire and now she has decided to take PB up on her offer to devamp her.

    Which is a change.

    Which she can't do because she's a vampire.

    Which is why she wants to change.

    Which she already has.

    She feels like she's right where she was left but she's faded. That sounds like a song I heard...
    ObiFett wrote: »
    So even though she's a vampire again, she's more mature and solid than she was before. It's a pretty big change to her character, tbh.
    She also chose it herself this time. I came away with the idea that Marceline has come to the realization that we're always changing but we don't often acknowledge it. Her blaming her vampirism for her lack of growth wasn't the real cause. Her lack of growth was mostly because she was trapped in the idea that she couldn't grow, that she was somehow not responsible for who she was. Taking ownership over who you are is a pretty big step in maturing and she never really seemed to do that before.

    DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2015
    Morkath wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    Do you remember what episode that was? I don't remember seeing the second kid. Not saying it wasn't there, just wanted to re-watch it to see.

    I can see it being plausible, they look alike (which isn't saying too much given the art style), but also have very similar hair.

    It was The Visitor.

    There was baby finn during the comet dream, and baby finn with a teddy bear during the boat flashback. I didn't see another kid?

    Well now I need to look again.

    edit: OMG

    Yeah that's totally a teddy bear. I was back and forth on her until that moment, so I guess now I'm back and forth again. I legit thought the bear was Finn.

    ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Hah, yeah I can see how you made that mistake, it does look like his hat. I only really noticed the difference since I was actively scanning the scene for Susan. :)

    I still wouldn't be surprised if they ended up being related somehow. His mom maybe?

    Was the banana boat he was born on, actually
    the human's escape boat? I could see Martin doing something stupid that caused the boat to sink, and cause the rest of the Human's to mutate into the Hyoomin's.

  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2015
    Morkath wrote: »
    Hah, yeah I can see how you made that mistake, it does look like his hat. I only really noticed the difference since I was actively scanning the scene for Susan. :)

    I still wouldn't be surprised if they ended up being related somehow. His mom maybe?

    Was the banana boat he was born on, actually
    the human's escape boat? I could see Martin doing something stupid that caused the boat to sink, and cause the rest of the Human's to mutate into the Hyoomin's.

    I think that would likely make him waaaaaay too old.. Also
    I really don't think that Susan had ever left that place before. Because remember how she was scared with everyone else when they found her? So I think either she was born with them or taken in as a baby, if she's a relation.

    I was actually thinking about it yesterday.. if she was abandoned and adopted by them it might explain (aside from the obvious) why she was so eager to retrieve the baby girl from Cheryl and return her to her mom.

    ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2015
    ceres wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    Hah, yeah I can see how you made that mistake, it does look like his hat. I only really noticed the difference since I was actively scanning the scene for Susan. :)

    I still wouldn't be surprised if they ended up being related somehow. His mom maybe?

    Was the banana boat he was born on, actually
    the human's escape boat? I could see Martin doing something stupid that caused the boat to sink, and cause the rest of the Human's to mutate into the Hyoomin's.

    I think that would likely make him waaaaaay too old.. Also
    I really don't think that Susan had ever left that place before. Because remember how she was scared with everyone else when they found her? So I think either she was born with them or taken in as a baby, if she's a relation.

    I was actually thinking about it yesterday.. if she was abandoned and adopted by them it might explain (aside from the obvious) why she was so eager to retrieve the baby girl from Cheryl and return her to her mom.

    Well,
    Age thing gets tricky. How is Martin as old as he is, a pure human, and Finn's dad without SOMETHING having happened (other than the citadel)? The other human's have to have been mutated for longer than Finn has been alive, right? Whatever took Martin could have accidentally thrown Finn into the future, where he was found by Jake's parents.

    Susan, could have voluntarily subjected herself to whatever cybernetics she has, in order to stay alive long enough to find her son. As for her personality, it's possible they have become damaged after so long, causing memory loss? I don't see her being born with the Hyoomans, or taken in by them as a child. They didn't have the means for installing the cybernetics.

    Going off your example with Cheryl, it could fit into this by being a base desire of hers to find her own child (whom she already has, without possibly realizing it due to mental damage).

    All of this is of course insane speculation based on very little actual information.

    Morkath on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Morkath wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    Hah, yeah I can see how you made that mistake, it does look like his hat. I only really noticed the difference since I was actively scanning the scene for Susan. :)

    I still wouldn't be surprised if they ended up being related somehow. His mom maybe?

    Was the banana boat he was born on, actually
    the human's escape boat? I could see Martin doing something stupid that caused the boat to sink, and cause the rest of the Human's to mutate into the Hyoomin's.

    I think that would likely make him waaaaaay too old.. Also
    I really don't think that Susan had ever left that place before. Because remember how she was scared with everyone else when they found her? So I think either she was born with them or taken in as a baby, if she's a relation.

    I was actually thinking about it yesterday.. if she was abandoned and adopted by them it might explain (aside from the obvious) why she was so eager to retrieve the baby girl from Cheryl and return her to her mom.

    Well,
    Age thing gets tricky. How is Martin as old as he is, a pure human, and Finn's dad without SOMETHING having happened (other than the citadel)? The other human's have to have been mutated for longer than Finn has been alive, right? Whatever took Martin could have accidentally thrown Finn into the future, where he was found by Jake's parents.

    Susan, could have voluntarily subjected herself to whatever cybernetics she has, in order to stay alive long enough to find her son. As for her personality, it's possible they have become damaged after so long, causing memory loss? I don't see her being born with the Hyoomans, or taken in by them as a child. They didn't have the means for installing the cybernetics.

    Going off your example with Cheryl, it could fit into this by being a base desire of hers to find her own child (whom she already has, without possibly realizing it due to mental damage).

    All of this is of course insane speculation based on very little actual information.

    Of course.
    And she *did* try to get him to stay with them in Beautopia. But.. I do feel like she might have recognized him?

    ALSO, with the Citadel, who even knows how long he was stuck there? He sure knew a lot about it, and even mentioned it kept him young. Even if Finn wasn't flung into the future, maybe he was preserved somehow, like Martin? Martin said he always meant to come back for Finn.. I feel like that's the one thing he's ever said he really meant. Before Martin fucks off with the comet, he says something about Finn being 40, to which he replies "I'M 16". I was thinking the other day.. well.. maybe he's not 16.

    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Week of new episodes next week, including

    tumblr_o0icy4uJIM1qzplumo1_1280.jpg

  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Catching up on this. That B-MO christmas special sure was creepy.

  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Catching up on this. That B-MO christmas special sure was creepy.

    (spoilery dialogue)
    "I'm not grown up, or I'm--I'm too grown up now. I think I just killed someone."

    I also really enjoyed BMO's cooking in "Angel Face."

    Caught up on this week's last week's episodes and thought they were pretty good. The stop-motion episode was fun although
    I guess there's never any reason given for it? I thought it was the storm at first but that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess it was just purely an artistic thing.

    I think I've just realized a bit of difficulty I have discussing this show, which is that a lot of things that I'd want to mention are smaller things, and by the time I actually get around to talking about the episode I've kind of forgotten what they were.

  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Yeah, the stop motion episode is another episode where they just change the style for fun or respectively want to bring in some artists with a very idiosyncratic style.

  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    This week's episode of Adventure Time ("Crossover") was a helluva thing. I really love it when they come back to stuff like
    the Lich.

  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator Mod Emeritus
    kaceyp wrote: »
    This week's episode of Adventure Time ("Crossover") was a helluva thing. I really love it when they come back to stuff like
    the Lich.
    I sure hope all of those severed Lich hands scattered throughout the multiverse don't come back to haunt them in the future...

  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    I didn't even think about that, although it did make me laugh when
    one of them landed on BMO.

  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I love Prismo

  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I love Prismo

    Prismo is the best

    "fffhhhhhhh dude, I'll just make you a sandwich"

  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I was so happy when I found out Kumail voices Prismo

  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My favorite line of the episode
    Oh is that why I was way better at the flute all the sudden?

  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    So, this latest episode had Finn being very chill about some lady stuff. Makes me so proud to see him growing up.

    cdci44qazyo3.gif

  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So they have been doing new episodes on Saturday's for this, a few actually moving the plot along.

    This weeks was kind of horrifying in it's own way. =X
    Finn appears to have accidently killed his sword self, which was then seen glowing what seems lich green.

  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    So they have been doing new episodes on Saturday's for this, a few actually moving the plot along.

    This weeks was kind of horrifying in it's own way. =X
    Finn appears to have accidently killed his sword self, which was then seen glowing what seems lich green.

    I assumed that had something to do with the grass sword bit going in there.

    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    So they have been doing new episodes on Saturday's for this, a few actually moving the plot along.

    This weeks was kind of horrifying in it's own way. =X
    Finn appears to have accidently killed his sword self, which was then seen glowing what seems lich green.

    I assumed that had something to do with the grass sword bit going in there.

    That could be it too.

    My thinking was;
    The sword was made during an attempt to get rid of the lich again, wasn't it? What if he was part of the sword as well, but kept in check by the Finn part. With FinnSword now dead, the Lich is regaining control, and took the life force from the grass sword.

  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    So they have been doing new episodes on Saturday's for this, a few actually moving the plot along.

    This weeks was kind of horrifying in it's own way. =X
    Finn appears to have accidently killed his sword self, which was then seen glowing what seems lich green.

    I assumed that had something to do with the grass sword bit going in there.

    That could be it too.

    My thinking was;
    The sword was made during an attempt to get rid of the lich again, wasn't it? What if he was part of the sword as well, but kept in check by the Finn part. With FinnSword now dead, the Lich is regaining control, and took the life force from the grass sword.
    No, I think the sword was made when they were bringing Prismo back to life - he was killed by the lich, but the lich was long gone before they made the sword.

    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    This is why I need to hurry up and buy the DVD sets, because I've only seen patches of the first few seasons and I didn't know (or at least didn't remember) anything about
    the Finn Sword. But Finn accidentally killing the Finn Sword, or so it seems, was pretty messed up.

  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    kaceyp wrote: »
    This is why I need to hurry up and buy the DVD sets, because I've only seen patches of the first few seasons and I didn't know (or at least didn't remember) anything about
    the Finn Sword. But Finn accidentally killing the Finn Sword, or so it seems, was pretty messed up.
    Finn Sword is quite new. From this season I think, maybe end of last season.

  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Huh, so it is (edit: middle of last season). I must have either missed it or totally forgotten.

    kaceyp on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Bun Bun was adorable.

    Also apparently Ashly Burch.

  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    So I signed up for Hulu Plus several months ago, and only about a week ago did I actually remember that Adventure Time is on there.

    But I'm super happy because now I can finally go through the entire series in order. I finished Season 1 and am about to start Season 2.

    Also, I picked up this little guy back around Christmas and he hangs out around my desk while I'm at work, and then sleeps in a drawer when I'm gone.
    57kuo86nlevq.jpg

  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    This discussion kind of mystifies me. So much changes so fast in that show. Characters have died or moved on permanently. Relationships have been permanently formed and permanently destroyed. I was thinking about this a lot last night.

    HUGE SPOILERS READ ONLY IF YOU'RE CAUGHT UP
    That arm Finn's got is super-fancy and really looks and acts just like an arm should, but it's not his and hasn't been since he first held the grass sword, which always looked out for him and which will be with him until the end of time. Note: in the episode where he follows Lemongrab to Matthew, when he goes through the mirror he is still missing an arm. He runs off the end of it and keeps going because there is something there, but it is not really his arm. None of the other prosthetics he was gifted worked, but those princesses only "meant well." They didn't take the time to get to know him, or love him, or try to really understand the pain he was in; they saw someone they knew who was sad and they wanted to make that go away. Breezy did take that time, though, and her parting gift to him was a lovingly-crafted fake that worked with his body. It was made using the grass sword she could see he was bonded with already (remember, once he'd accepted it he could control it like it was part of him), and which she, as a new queen, could commune with to make that bond stronger. The character is repeatedly shown to be destined to lose the arm for good even before he loses it in the Citadel; in no other incarnation, timeline, or reality does he keep it. This one is the same. The grass sword, now the arm, still protects him and looks after him, but it is not really his.

    He's basically a cyborg but with plants, and his primary weapon changes without going back about once a season or so, on average.

    Flame Princess was freed and became the new ruler of the Fire Kingdom, and when she and Finn broke up, she never went back to him and he's still not over it. She moved on and Cinnamon Bun went with her. He now pledges loyalty to her over Princess Bubblegum.

    Finn and Jake started out seeing the Ice King as nothing but a villain who was vaguely evil and stood in the way of fun. Now they can see his sickness and they've taken him in.

    Jake had children. The humans are no longer sewer-bound. We met Finn's biological father and he left with the comet.

    The Ancient Sleeping Magi of Life-Giving is an addition and has been awesome. Betty is an addition. She goes insane. Magic Man is no longer magic. The King of Mars dies. Glob dies.

    Ghost Princess finds her love and the two of them are able to move on. They never come back.

    The Lich is a (rather giant) small child now. A small child with an inner monologue voiced by Ron Perlman, but a small child nonetheless.

    I think everything "goes back to normal" because, despite massive changes to our lives and surroundings and what those things mean to us, we are people and we adjust and all those changes become the "new normal." It's why those cycles are cycles, to be repeated or relived forever - while everything changes so much and so fast, we really can't change like that. If our partners leave us, if buildings come and go and leadership changes, when our loved ones die or we get a new pet or we try a new food or we learn something we would have thought unforgivable about someone close to us... in the end we need to adjust to cope. As long as tomorrow comes, life has to go on eventually, and the bigger and more incomprehensible the change the farther into the background it needs to go. We cling to the comforts of the old as long as we can, and then little by little we let go until the differences can be mundane.

    I don't think "everything stays" means "nothing changes," or "things change but slowly or imperceptibly." It's true, if something is left undisturbed you will be able to find it again just where it was, and it will have changed perhaps only slightly. But the thing left in the garden is not a tool or a toy. It's not a building or a regime. It's not environmental. It's us. The show is Finn's adolescence; it's about his growth. We start out so bright and shiny and are bombarded by sweeping, sometimes systemic, sometimes even archetypical changes. The object left experiences scorching sun, harsh weather, changing seasons. Things step on it, use it for shelter, they grow in and under it, and it sees everything that goes through it and goes by, in the process becoming weary and maybe a little faded. But it stays.

    We stay.

    I really like Adventure Time.

    About that last part
    I caught up on season 7 a month or so ago. It was pretty wild.

    Everything Stays really struck a chord with me, but I didn't get why at first.

    Ten days ago, my Dad died to lung cancer.

    Now, hearing the chorus makes me fall apart.

    Not because I miss him. He was an abusive asshole, and he basically destroyed my childhood and left me pretty fucked up in addition to the similar treatment my sisters got.

    Rather, the song just brings up feelings of just how withered and tired I am. Of regrets for missed opportunities. For things I never got to do because I didn't get a real Dad. How much so many things have changed, but everything is the god damn same.

    I get it, now.

    I really need to get some sleep.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204


Sign In or Register to comment.