As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Adventure Time: 4 specials coming soon to HBO Max

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Hey, I noticed an interesting tie-in. Remember that alternate universe where Finn talks about how the shysters of old were punished for using magic and manipulating the people with a big ol' 400 year old ice age?

Check out Simon's and Betty's reactions to the wizards, magic carpet and magic in general. They don't care, its matter of fact for them.
    Of course it could just be that Simon/Ice King has had 1000 years to get the idea. Betty did research with Simon, but she gave zero effs to floating Marcelene and the magic carpet, and even Belenoche`
    (and the *really* fast pace of the episode, maybe they didn't have time for reactions.)

Hmm... there's a lot of supposition in there, but I'd like to think that the magic we see was just the normal mundane tech level of Simon and Betty's era.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    -Arthur C. Clarke

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Rewatching Season 3, Simon specifically says he never believed in magic before he found the crown, so at the very least, the Ice King's magic was beyond what their technology was capable of. That said, the history of the world of Adventure Time is an odd exercise in anachronism, not unlike the Fallout universe. It heavily implies that at least some forms of technology and chemistry were advanced beyond ours, but they still used video tapes and a few other things that our society has all but abandoned. The titular city in Beautopia had a very 50's-future feel to it as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if Fallout wasn't in some small way an inspiration there.

Tangentially, I had forgotten about the "Cloud Hunt" rhyme in "Marceline's Closet". Might be one of my absolute favorite little bits of backhistory in the show. Spine-tingling when you think about it.
    "Over the mountain, the ominous cloud

coming to cover the land in a shroud,

hide in a bushel, a basement, a cave,

but when cloud comes a-huntin',

No one's a safe!"

That cultural memory has been distilled to the point of a hide-and-seek rhyme.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

NotoriusBENFirebirdTankHammerTaskmanBucketmanCrimson King
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Humanity likes to do that sort of thing. Neat that they worked that into a kid's show.

Love adventure time.

Battletag BYToady#1454
    TankHammerEdith Upwards
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Man

I am deeply, deeply in love with the Adventure Time comic books

They are pure distilled fun times

dN0T6ur.png
    Lindsay LohanPMAvers
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Man

I am deeply, deeply in love with the Adventure Time comic books

They are pure distilled fun times

They're great - the only complaint I have is the commentary along the bottom is often printed light enough that I genuinely have a hard time reading it. I know they want it to be subtle, but it's a challenge sometimes. My favorite thing about the comic is seeing the various artstyles and interpretations of the characters, great stuff.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    So the circle view in this episode got old pretty fast, even though it is clever.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Jesus christ

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Goatmon
    Yeah, that went dark pretty fast

CururuGoatmon
  • CururuCururu Registered User regular
    I want to know what's up with the boarder of the circle, especially since it showed Johnny materializing there right before it faded out.

edited March 2014
    Cururu wrote: »
    I want to know what's up with the boarder of the circle, especially since it showed Johnny materializing there right before it faded out.
    The circle was the sphere, viewed from the inside looking out. Everything on the sides were in the sphere. Anything in there can look through, but can't go through. He got teleported there because of LSP's selfishness. And the episode ended with him being a prisoner, helpless and stuck forever, because the selfish woman just demanded to have all of her memories of him erased. And then right before it faded out, with no knowledge of what she'd done previously, she repaid the person who granted her wish by scolding her and her work.

This episode didn't make LSP look better than she did before, basically. PB's still evil for coming up with something that could be exploited and/or used for those purposes. And Jake made sure to rub it in PB's face at every opportunity that magic did something better than her science. Nobody came out of this episode looking good, really.

Sweeney Tom on
  • CururuCururu Registered User regular
    Cururu wrote: »
    The circle was the sphere, viewed from the inside looking out. Everything on the sides were in the sphere. Anything in there can look through, but can't go through. He got teleported there because of LSP's selfishness. And the episode ended with him being a prisoner, helpless and stuck forever, because the selfish woman just demanded to have all of her memories of him erased. And then right before it faded out, with no knowledge of what she'd done previously, she repaid the person who granted her wish by scolding her and her work.

This episode didn't make LSP look better than she did before, basically. PB's still evil for coming up with something that could be exploited and/or used for those purposes. And Jake made sure to rub it in PB's face at every opportunity that magic did something better than her science. Nobody came out of this episode looking good, really.

That makes sense.

And now I'm depressed :\

I think I could do with less LSP for the next few (dozen) episodes. She's somehow managed to get more disturbing than the Lemongrabs.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    this was a good episode

and steven universe continues to be amazing, that freaking painting of the crystal gems crossing the delaware (and punching sharks?) and pearl as a clown
    yeah I know its not actually based on washington crossing the delaware, I can't think the painting persay that they were spoofing

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »
    this was a good episode

and steven universe continues to be amazing, that freaking painting of the crystal gems crossing the delaware (and punching sharks?) and pearl as a clown
    yeah I know its not actually based on washington crossing the delaware, I can't think the painting persay that they were spoofing

It was the painting of Walter and the sharks. circa 1790ish
    The painter was a friend of walter and being a bro of that time period, decided to paint the most traumatic thing that happened in Walter's life. and walter naked as well apparently... what?

anyways, yes. that episode of Steven Universe is awesome. Jesus, crystal powers are freaking scary!
    why would you want them if that's what they have the ability to do? with a slip of the mind?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    PB's still evil for coming up with something that could be exploited and/or used for those purposes.

Gonna have to level a big ol' WTF at this here statement. Scientists are not morally responsible for how people use their inventions. Just about anything invented can be twisted to evil purposes by someone selfish or cruel enough.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

There is no part of this particular invention that ultimately doesn't have evil purposes. The machine only swallows living things and moments up, never to return.

These explanations can be used to brush away all of PB's other evil inventions like the spoon entirely created to keep her from never being starved by a would-be usurper. She is not a good person in this show and hasn't been for a while.

Edith UpwardsIndie Winter
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    this was a good episode

It was the painting of Walter and the sharks. circa 1790ish
    The painter was a friend of walter and being a bro of that time period, decided to paint the most traumatic thing that happened in Walter's life. and walter naked as well apparently... what?

anyways, yes. that episode of Steven Universe is awesome. Jesus, crystal powers are freaking scary!
    why would you want them if that's what they have the ability to do? with a slip of the mind?
    Gems are biologically immortal( and food poisioning immortal) Steven it seems is long lived but not immortal. Also because hes human his powers arent stable yet and react to his subconcious.

Lion kicks ass

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    I don't know if I'm ready for the Lemonhope episodes

If this episode was that depressing, there are 3 more left this season. It could potentially get sadder.

considering episode titles are Lemonhope part 1 and 2
    and Billy's Bucket List...

tighten your chinstrap @Sweeney Tom‌, this is gonna be a rough month

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    TankHammer
    There is no part of this particular invention that ultimately doesn't have evil purposes. The machine only swallows living things and moments up, never to return.

These explanations can be used to brush away all of PB's other evil inventions like the spoon entirely created to keep her from never being starved by a would-be usurper. She is not a good person in this show and hasn't been for a while.

I'd say this invention itself is more morally bankrupt (she doesn't seem to have any actual malicious intent--mostly just scientific curiosity). I will agree that Peebles has been leaning to the south on the alignment grid lately, though.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

edited March 2014

Sweeney Tom on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Hrm. So the first Card Wars expansion was announced, "For The Glory."

And apparently it'll be distributed in random boosters. D:

Back in October it was said that it wouldn't be. I get that plans change... just feels abrupt coming out of nowhere. Now I'm debating if I even want to get the other starter, even though I really do like the game and think it's clever.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    It did really well. Boosters suck but it also means organized play may be upcoming.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    dat was A+ and made me sad also

poo
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Just saw the betty episode. Something that occured to me.

Simon may have just taken a serious step backwards. Prior to this episode when was the last time he kidnapped a princess? He seemed to be mellowing out a bit, maybe due to the 'remember me' episode, or maybe just time was bringing him out of insanity. Now hes had the crown removed and put back almost like its acting as a reset button on his insanity. At the end of the episode hes more like he was in season one. Does he even remember mellowing out the last season or so?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    The crown reacts pretty violently to removal. Even though Simon didnt mean to it might have gotten stronger since it was" turned off".

I don't know, as of season three he was still pretty crazy crazy crazy in your face all the time

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Bucketman
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    It did really well. Boosters suck but it also means organized play may be upcoming.

The news today makes me feel a bit better. Yeah, it did stupidly well, apparently they printed like 5x copies over pre-orders and they're going back to print more.

It sounds like the boosters are supposed to be a way to augment current decks without having to go through and have to buy a bunch of starters for more copies of cards, keeping said starters out of stock even longer, and how the card sheets are set up should make it so that one booster box (of 24 packs) should have at least one copy of each rare. And that For the Glory! is not supposed to be the normal release method for cards.

Also they mentioned there's going to be another Collector's Pack for the NiceLands, the landscape that we havn't seen yet.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    Well, I am just hoping they're coming out with 2nd editions just so they can get rid of the lazy palette swaps they did for several cards.

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    The most-recent Bravest Warriors has a little Adventure Time Easter-egg.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQaOdF2CD2o
    Check that Ooo princess crown on Princess Dysentery there.

Bucketman
    Man, is it me, or is Danny just plain unappreciated [in the show]? He's way awesome!

As a little tyke? Adorable!

steam_sig.png

• Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    I've always gotten this weird Deadlands vibe from Adventure Time, which makes recent developments with Peebs look way bad.

But seriously, that bomb and that beard point to Pendleton being a Deadlands fan.

Bravest Warrior is basically Catbug the show now

Talk about pandering to your base

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    RainfallBlueBlueBucketman
    edited March 2014
    Cards Wars finally came out for the Android.

It's certainly not as bad as people make it out to be, with it's free-to-play trappings despite it being a $4 dollar game.
    Hoping it gets more complex with elaborate plays as you move further and gain more cards, otherwise this game might get a bit boring for me as time moves on. But I am enjoying it so far.

Is the basic real-life game similar?

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular

But catbug fuckin owns

TankHammer
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    catbug is a sometimes food

But catbug fuckin owns
    Cat bug is great

But not when every single episode revolves around him

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Yeah, that episode with Chris and Plum last time would have been great if it weren't for all the Catbug

cdci44qazyo3.gif

edited March 2014
    I knew Lemonhope would be somehow more depressing than the last episode

I didn't expect

that

Sweeney Tom on
    I looked on my TV guide and it said that Lemonhope pt 1 and 2 are showing today?!

is this true?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Wow, Treetrunks Wedding is weird as shit.