As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] We are the champions, my friends..... (of silver WvW league)

• Options
    JoiryJoiry Registered User regular
    Shucks, I had a feeling the collection expanders would not be giftable. With two accounts, it'd be win-win for me. Too bad there isn't anything else I'd pay for really.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    I have seen[sds] around! it has been a so so week.

monday was a lot of fun in eb, but the bls are a mess with massive [agg] sos groups or the TC blob RP' murdering everyone to death.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Is there ever a general strategy for FA WvW overall? Or is it similar to my past experience in Battlefield or Planetside where you run from objective to objective and occasionally look at the map and say "hey, that camp we captured 10 minutes ago has flipped again let's go there"

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    There is an overall strategy with respect to supply. But it requires making some not-logical decisions and sometimes isn't worthwhile due to scoring oddities.

26904.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    And when it comes to the actual battles is when you really need to know strategy/listen to your commander.

"BLAST IT BLAST IT BLAST IT!"

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    My ranger was my first 80 and I never really felt like I was terribly effective; I've been playing my warrior lately, and using hammer to knock people around or immobilize them has been great. I'm not getting a ton of direct kills but I've had more than my share of "assists". It's nice to feel useful.

I need to get better overall though. I don't get to put in a lot of time due to family constraints, so while I've been in WvW many times it's never for very long.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    General cross-map strategy centers around getting the keep closest to your spawn upgraded and waypointed, then putting a scout in it and returning to defend if it gets attacked (you also have to have a scout in there while it's upgrading obviously). For camps the only one it's practical to make an effort to defend is the one closest to your spawn (be it north camp, lowlands, or vale depending on the map).

In this setup towers get flipped a lot. They only have one gate and often the zerg just can't respond in time. It'd be nice if some people stayed behind to defend but actually doing it often requires more organization than we have.

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
  • Options
    ky13ky13 Registered User regular
    Kreutz wrote: »

I don't care who we get, as long as it's not TC. Those guys are jerks. (Just kidding, I'm sure they're nice people, they just seem to have it out for us.)

Eternity_Sky-banner-4.png
    Hey, it's me, Teldra! Did someone say "greatsword"? [Eternity]
  • Options
    The charts in the article are pre-season one it looks like. Our glicko rating's projected to be sixth after this week, and I expect we'll settle at fifth. So, more TC! Which is actually ok with me, I certainly like it better than I did most of league. And we can beat TC if we get just a little more euro coverage.

• Options
    My personal angst against them is their constant control of the EB puzzle. It was just mean spirited.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    The charts in the article are pre-season one it looks like. Our glicko rating's projected to be sixth after this week, and I expect we'll settle at fifth. So, more TC! Which is actually ok with me, I certainly like it better than I did most of league. And we can beat TC if we get just a little more euro coverage.

Certainly, the "slow grind of attrition" way we are ending up as second vs. TC is preferable to the "competitive for the first 4-6 hours, and then it all goes to hell" way we used to lose against realms that had more coverage than ours.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Ardor wrote: »
    Yeah. You just wait till the next time that's all I'm saying. I've got plans.

Seriously though I do feel a bit funny about taking help like that, but if it's cool then I'm totally up for it.

What server your own doesn't make a difference to me. Hit me up in game the next time you're around.

What is your universal name? I forget what it's called. Easier if I just add you to friends so I can see when you are on.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    Ardor wrote: »
    Yeah. You just wait till the next time that's all I'm saying. I've got plans.

Seriously though I do feel a bit funny about taking help like that, but if it's cool then I'm totally up for it.

What server your own doesn't make a difference to me. Hit me up in game the next time you're around.

What is your universal name? I forget what it's called. Easier if I just add you to friends so I can see when you are on.

Ardor.1934

• Options
    Kicking the TC around pretty good on TC BL tonight. It has been fun

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    There's new faces!

5d4jfYS.jpg

I no longer have horn eyebrows. Now I'm get all the ladies.

vG2m2rZ.jpg

And dudes. And little rat people.

naengwen on
  • Options
    That Charr is hella dapper

• Options
    WvW fridays- the 13th. i present to you a playlet of FA coming up on two filthy other servers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ5YPlcCzYA

745 est rally time. Fun will be had.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Where do you plan to WvW? I won't be available at that time, but I know some folks who might.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    BLUE BL tonight.

we run out of the nice ts3 are they nice members?

• Options
    No, it's SDS folk. I'm basically just going to give our WvW regulars a heads-up that "hey, some NICE people are going to be doing X" in case they want to go where some action is.

Last night we were on TCBL, working with others on fortifying the hills keep and crushing the 20-30 TC zerglet that was floating around.

• Options
    SDS... is that the one with Arkham in it? They are good folks.

• Options
    You might be thinking of Akram?

And yeah, I'm pretty happy with the group. My son plays GW2 with me (he's 8) and they've gone out of their way to make him feel welcome. They also keep guild chat pretty kid-friendly.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    So, we've been talking about WvW stuff lately, and I found that many NICE people weren't too into the idea of practices and specified builds and such, and that not everyone is super into bombing Moas in Lion's Arch. But I talked with some more people on Friday WvW and discovered that some people would be interested in making a more coordinated group. And so I will now announce the formation of:

Yougottawanna's Super Tryhard No-Fun-Allowed Serious Business Squad

Yougottawanna's Super Tryhard No-Fun-Allowed Serious Business Squad (or YSTNFASBS) is a group of people who are down to do the sorts of things that NICE as a whole isn't down to do. The unfortunate truth is that GW2 is not balanced around WvW, and certain classes/builds are stronger than others - and more so than that, certain combinations of classes/builds are stronger than others. In order to use these we need a higher level of coordination, but we don't want to impose that on NICE as a whole - it'll disrupt fun, and that would suck. So instead we find a group of players within NICE who are willing to do this sort of thing, and who volunteer upfront to do it.

Here are some notes about what is and isn't required in YSTNFASBS:

What is required:
    1. You must be level 80, and in exotic gear (obviously ascended is fine too, but not required) EDIT: I'm shelving this requirement for the moment, some people are leveling their alts, so never mind this part.
    2. You must be willing to change your build, within reason (we can be somewhat flexible)
    3. You must be willing to play in a coordinated way. To some extent, success in WvW comes by way of playing like a bunch of trained seals, doing certain things at certain times. If nothing else, it's a starting point from which to further refine our tactics.
    4. You must be willing to take on challenging stuff. We're going to be trying to do things that are hard, like consistently win fights when outnumbered and just generally being awesome at everything.

What's not required:
    1. You don't have to be some elite pvp superstar. I mean, I'm not one, so I can't expect others to be.
    2. There's no minimum time requirement or anything, nor a schedule you have to meet. It's best if you play regularly (like 3 times a week or more), but it's not required.
    3. No one is gonna be raging at you. We'll be trying to do challenging things, and we'll be honest with ourselves and try to improve when we fail (and we will fail sometimes), but we're not gonna let frustration get the better of us.
    4. This will be open to all experience levels. Even if you don't WvW that often (or at all), if you're willing to get on board with the stuff in the "what is required" section then you're welcome in YSTNFASBS.
    5. Alts are fine, it doesn't have to be your main (alts may even be better, since we'll be using WvW-designed builds that may suck for PvE)

What we'll do:
    The first thing I want to do is put together a melee train. This'll be a group of guardians and warriors who dive into enemy zergs and facetank their best shot because we're just that tough. We'll all have high toughness, lots of sources of group healing, good CC, and good stability and retaliation uptime. During Friday, Monday, and Wednesday WvW we'll just run with NICE as usual - but in a more coordinated group, with a more precise class/build combination.

I like your ideas and want to subscribe to your newsletter, what do I do?
    Post in this thread saying you're interested, with your ingame name, regardless of what class you are. For the melee train I'm looking for guardians and warriors, and as it happened when I asked in teamspeak about this many of the people who expressed interest had guardians and warriors anyway. But I do want to expand to other classes, especially if other classes express interest. When I see who's interested, I'll post more details on what we'll be doing (builds and such).

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    So after getting my min size female norn guardian to 80, I decided I didn't want to take my max size male norn warrior through the norn areas again. I spent most of my time levelling avoiding the story quest and just wandering around the norn areas doing whatever struck my fancy, which was much more fun. So they're pretty maxed out now.
    I was wracking my brain for which area I wanted to go next and then perfection struck me.

I would focus on the Asura area!

Moku is huge, dumb and crazy awesome. Asura are tiny, genius and arrogant as fuck. It's a match made in heaven!

So Moku wandered his way into the Asura cube and out the gate to their starting area, whereupon the following things happened.
    Moku blew up some golems by fiddling with them and then cursing at them.

Moku got electrocuted, burnt and frozen for the amusement of a tiny robot golem.

Moku took on a piggy and a golem at the same time, beat them both at the same time, levelled, thrust his mighty fist into the air and bellowed "IM UNSTOPPABLE!" Whereupon the pig was sent flying twenty feet away into a wall and the golem exploded.

Moku took a written test, succeeded on the first try, and shouted "I CAN DEFEAT ANYTHING!" I tried to explain to Moku that this is not how written tests work but I am not sure he heard me.

This is basically a thousand third doctor's (super smart and kind of an ass) versus a thousand masters (inquest) and every time the inquest send in their evil moustache twirling henchman who unleash their super sized golem mark twelve they find Moku chilling in the middle of the base they were about to attack, two feet taller than their biggest golem, and then he turns around and smashes them all into tiny pieces with joyous and terrifying glee.

It's like if the Brigadier was a twelve feet tall viking who could swing a sword the size of a telephone pole. It's not fair at all. I fucking love it. This is the best idea I've had yet. I haven't done a single quest yet that hasn't amused me. I'm racking up hilarious moments by the truckload.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Hey, has anyone here tried the Orr Invasion/Temple Of Balthazar Meta-Event? I'm at that particular zone right now with my Engineer and it sounds like something fun to try. It also brings in for about an hour or so a special Karma-vendor according to what I've read so far.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Someone wanted my hammer warrior build. So here it is with gear.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQJASRjkOJvNPyQ4wBEkCNkLUKgj6I9QMQj0A-jECBYgBicIQZnFRjtyqIasalYqXCp6XQaYwSB0vyI-w

You basically burn your shouts and earth shaker into combat, hammer 3 and then swap to an adrenaline building weapon.

Shouts heal you Regen like mad, enemy deaths heal you and you are a warrior so you only die when you don't want to run.

Always have 2 melee weaps equipped unless its a siege. Works well with sword axe, or gs as the second set.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Mojo's Diabolical WvW Blood Lottery III (a celebration of life) : MONDAY BLOODY MONDAY.

- Monday December 16 beginning 830 EST -

For the uninitiated (newguys read here)- the blood lottery is a WvW event that anyone has a chance to win. It uses the random metric of badges gained during the event to determine the winner. Literally any person of any level can win as badge drops are totally random. And best of all, since your wealthy benefactor (me) is mad mad maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad and rich.... this is a non guild funded event. Meaning the officers may participate. the officers so rarely get to play with us.... t'would be a shame if someone denied them their one chance to win. There will be two pop quizzes for small prizes and the grand prize. The blood curtains.....

Grand prize- 1st place may choose one of the following, 2nd can choose 1 from what's left:

Curtain 1 - 1 black lion ticket - I have the ticket you tell me what you want.... this can be held for any new patch of your choosing.
    Curtain 2 - A Grenth hood- gifted to you
    Curtain 3 - 25 Gold. mmmmmmm money money money.
    -or-
    Mojo's mytery box. Whats in the box? no one knows. Last time it was a "make your own artificial life-partner kit" containing a golem, a wig, a dress and a quaggan backpack. But it could be anything. 250 gossimer? 250 oribars? an onion? Gwenneth Paltrow's head? take a risk and take the box!

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Out of boredom I started playing a bit again and rolled a Guardian. Turned out I had some doodad that boosted me to level 20 in the bank, so hey.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Out of boredom I started playing a bit again and rolled a Guardian. Turned out I had some doodad that boosted me to level 20 in the bank, so hey.

Happy birthday! All of my characters got that, so everyone is 20 at least. Don't got a Mesmer or Thief admittedly.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Hey, has anyone here tried the Orr Invasion/Temple Of Balthazar Meta-Event? I'm at that particular zone right now with my Engineer and it sounds like something fun to try. It also brings in for about an hour or so a special Karma-vendor according to what I've read so far.

Yeah the gods' temples meta events / boss fights are fairly popular. The karma merchants notably sell exotics and obsidian shards.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Owenashi wrote: »

So, back in the day, this was the ONLY way to get obsidian shards for legendaries. They've since added other methods, but I've spent many an hour doing this event either for the awesome loot on the way or to try to open the vendor for someone who needed shards. I actually really like this whole chain.

If you want to do this chain, there are a couple of different places it starts- Northern route, Central route, and Southern route. The Southern route is the easiest one I've done. For that one, you start at Thunderhead waypoint south of Fort Trinity. Secure the outpost there and it'll start an escort to the next one. Secure that, and it'll start another escort, this time to get weapons to the gate. Then you have to get the gate open, and then once inside you establish the base at Lone Post. Then you have to get the troops to Rally Waypoint, which is where all three invasions (North, Central, and South) meet up. You don't have to have all 3 to proceed, just any 1 of them. However, if you have gotten one set of troops going while someone else did another set, you'll have to wait until they are all there before starting.

Before the troops leave Rally, the events leading up to that point can be done with just a couple people for the most part. But when you get to Rally, link it in chat and try to drum up some help, particularly if you actually want the vendor to open. The trip up the hill to the temple is HARD. You have to keep a bunch of squishy, stupid NPCs alive against a horde of risen. Healing is strongly recommended.

Assuming you make it up the hill (which fails A LOT, that step is not easy), then you have to fight the Risen Priest of Balthazar. That's the boss! He's not a cakewalk. If you've done other temples, he's harder than Dwayna or Melandru, but easier than Grenth, and roughly equivalent to Lyssa, although with a MUCH longer walk back if you die.

Sometimes after making it up the hill, the boss event will still often fail because people don't know what to do. He puts out massive damage and people will drop like flies. If you go down and can't get back up, don't wait for a rez, since your corpse counts as a person and will scale up the event. Instead, run back! It's a really long way, but if you want to win it's important. If you see someone all the way defeated on the ground, absolutely do not rez them. You will almost certainly get yourself killed in the process. If people are just downed, not defeated, get them up if you can do so safely, but not at the cost of getting downed yourself, since the red circles he puts down are usually instantly deadly. The only other thing strat-wise is try not to stack conditions on him. He's a necromancer and can eat them for health. This is usually pointless advice because everyone will be putting on bleeds like crazy due to bleed-on-crit traits, but if you have a choice don't feed the fire.

If you get through all that successfully, you will have an inventory full of loot and access to the karma vendor. It's actually a lot of fun, more so because it's challenging, so don't let that discourage you! I am usually up for Balth if I'm not doing anything else, so give a holler in guild chat if you're trying to get it done. People will come! :)

Kylindra on
  • Options
    It should also be mentioned that the vendor that shows up at the end sells the PTV version of the Orr gear.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tactician_Deathstrider

Also, after a certain amount of time, there is a defend the point event to keep Cathedral of Glorious Victory, but nobody is ever around for that so it falls back into risen hands.

• Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    Can I get an re-invite to the guild? Name is Kias.1792

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    ky13 wrote: »
    It should also be mentioned that the vendor that shows up at the end sells the PTV version of the Orr gear.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tactician_Deathstrider

Also, after a certain amount of time, there is a defend the point event to keep Cathedral of Glorious Victory, but nobody is ever around for that so it falls back into risen hands.

Mainly because while the retake event chain ends with a Daily Chest, the defense does not. So we are left with the funny situation where players want it to be retaken by the zombie horde.

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    I am the piper of quaggans
    gw409.jpg
    tumblr_mxts6efcYf1qlu641o1_500.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2013
    I am the puncher or grubs.

gw232.jpg

Why would you ever not wvw with us? We create or own bad scyfy channel movies nightly. Giganta-Grub vs death-Ogre starring Ian zierring and dean cain. You know you'd watch.

And special thanks to the folks who helped me turn 300 tonight. Cant wait to be a silver dude.... only 300 more to go :o

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    fennyfenny Registered User regular
    so I'm totally down for being a trained wuv seal, and have a lvl 80 guardian with greatsword and staff ready to go! Right now she's got full exotics with cleric's stats. I don't know if those are the best stats for wuv or what runes I should be slotting, but I'm willing to be a trained virtue monkey - just point me in the right direction!

GW2: stella mchaggis / maruette
  • Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    I'm up for WvW coordinated body diving.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    @yougottawanna

Count me in on the melee train. Working on baby Guardian lv 29 atm. Names Paroxysmal

Invectivus on
This discussion has been closed.