As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Batarians - just a poor man's Bavarians

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    In my femshep run I've had the same experience with the ME2->ME3 automatic face import as I did with the manshep - the import actually improved the overall look, and she looks really great.

The face in ME2
    4o5xcOR.png

in ME3
    gRv69zW.png
    6nHpTk4.png
    boJM92F.png

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I noticed that NPCs got improved as well, not-Wong looks pretty good in 3 compared to 1/2 and there are a few others as well.

Though I still wish when you import you could tweek your existing face instead of having to rebuild it. From 1 to 2 I just wanted to change my hairstyle but I couldn't do that without remaking my face, which I never got quite the same.

newSig.jpg
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    That feeling when you're playing with competent pubs and everyone ends up with similar scores~

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I somehow landed into a too competent pub group the other day. Out of my circle of RL friends who play, the one who's played the longest has about 17k challenge points, and almost nothing left to get from packs.
    The guy with the lowest challenge points in that group was in the mid 20ks I think. I played my vorcha sentinel who is typically my goto when pugging gold because he's my most resilient and easiest to get kills with.
    I had a pretty pathetic showing because everything died so fast I was lucky to get in close enough for a couple kills each wave and had trouble building bloodlust stacks. I was a good 40k points behind the lowest guy at the end of the match.

At least I probably didn't look useless since I was on top of objectives, and I actually got my fire on things so I had a good amount of assists, but it was suprpisingly unfun to be carried like that by total strangers.

steam_sig.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    The biggest thing that you have to do to score highly in ME3 MP is to not only know where enemies spawn, but learn how to manipulate where they spawn too.

Curly is a wizard at this, but I like to think I'm pretty good too. The key is to know where the spawns are, and try to ensure that one of those points is the furthest spawn point away from every member of your group.

Let's take Glacier as an example, because it's small and easy to remember. If, between waves, your allies are positioned such that, say, two are in the landing pad area and one is up the top near all the computer consoles, through the big windows, you can almost guarantee that you will see a spawn appear in the lowest area, down near the L shaped computer console. Head there as soon as the wave starts and you'll almost certainly get a wave to yourself.

Dhalphir on
    Oh yeah, normally it works out pretty well, especially on Vancouver. Just sprint over as soon as the wave starts, and wash all the weenies with flame for a quick couple stacks the work on the tougher guys. These dudes were just nailing everything from farther away way too fast for me.

steam_sig.png
    Score in this game is only 50% skill. The other 50% is maximizing your damage by speccing a certain way and using max DPS weapons. Of course there's equipment too, it still surprises me that most players use level 3 Equipment on gold.

So if my loadout is like this, for example: Batarian Sentinel, maxed Shockwave and Submission Net, level 3 Blood Pack Punisher and no consumables, I don't expect to outscore anyone. Even a bad player with an Infiltrator and a Harrier X, not even nessecarely consumables, WILL outscore me even if we're at comparable skill levels.

steam_sig.png

I wasn't expecting to outscore, just to, you know, make a good showing. I don't have a ton of most consumables. And for the most part with that guy, they aren't necessary on gold. I mostly stopped totally caring about score when I stopped needing experience.

steam_sig.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    IMO: if you're doing above 30K, you were at least trying to pull your weight.

If you hit 80K, clearly you were pulling your weight, but it's possible someone else pulled 200K because they were specced for damage, had low latency, and were nuking spawns. Don't worry about them.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I don't care if I score the lowest in a game as long as I'm not doing stupid shit, dying or getting synced all the time, or endangering the team or mission. If I just can't reach enemies before they're all dead, there's only so much I can contribute.

Still it doesn't happen often, mostly when teammates are all rolling with the Harrier. Someday I will get one so I can see just how amazing it is.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Score in this game is only 50% skill. The other 50% is maximizing your damage by speccing a certain way and using max DPS weapons. Of course there's equipment too, it still surprises me that most players use level 3 Equipment on gold.

It surprises you that they are using such a high level on gold, or surprises you that they aren't using level 4 on gold?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Cambiata wrote: »

It surprises you that they are using such a high level on gold, or surprises you that they aren't using level 4 on gold?

The former. You don't need any consumables to pull your weight unless you just promoted and are level 1. But I'm talking about players with level 20 kits who clearly have some experience, indicated by them having banners, or a decent ammount of challenge points.

steam_sig.png

Shimshai wrote: »
    I don't care if I score the lowest in a game as long as I'm not doing stupid shit, dying or getting synced all the time, or endangering the team or mission. If I just can't reach enemies before they're all dead, there's only so much I can contribute.

Still it doesn't happen often, mostly when teammates are all rolling with the Harrier. Someday I will get one so I can see just how amazing it is.

Haha speaking of which, I got a harrier last night. One of the friends who had bought me the game (who had been playing with my other friends since shortly after release) goes "You fucker! I knew it! I told Jess you'd get a harrier before either of us did and I was right! I'm going to text Jess and tell him what a fucker you are!"
    a minute later a response from Jess "well fuck me!"

steam_sig.png
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Eh, the "Maximum DPS from the Maximum Uber weapon" gets dull quick. Rather than equip the Lancer or Adam Baldwin on everyone, I'm always interested in trying out new weapons.

Which reminds me that a fair percentage of your score comes from finding your teammate with one of the long wind-up weapons like the Typhoon or Spitfire putting fire onto a target then stepping in front of him so that you block his LOF AND maybe steal his kill. Profit !! Holy Moley people, haven't you had any tactical training ?

Fairchild on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    It's not kill-stealing, it's kill-helping.

sig.gif

The former. You don't need any consumables to pull your weight unless you just promoted and are level 1. But I'm talking about players with level 20 kits who clearly have some experience, indicated by them having banners, or a decent ammount of challenge points.

Once you've gotten all your rares and Platinum is just a grind, what else are you going to do with all that level 3 and 4 equipment?

Orca wrote: »

Once you've gotten all your rares and Platinum is just a grind, what else are you going to do with all that level 3 and 4 equipment?

See, that's something I can get behind. On the other hand, that's the reason I once started using lvl 3 equipment on gold all the time. 2 weeks later I was all out of high level consumables, and that's the critical point. Then you have the choice between either using no/low level consumables, or using a patchwork loadout.

steam_sig.png

I always reserve a chunk of high level equipment for the odd Platinum round.

But I've never run completely out sooooo...

If someone doesn't slot equipment on Gold, I don't give a shit. Half the time I don't bother either. If they've filled the gear slot and are reasonably high leveled, who gives a damn?

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    IMO: if you're doing above 30K, you were at least trying to pull your weight.

If you hit 80K, clearly you were pulling your weight, but it's possible someone else pulled 200K because they were specced for damage, had low latency, and were nuking spawns. Don't worry about them.

I've scored sub 30k playing with PA peeps

But that just because spawns were cleared immediately and eventually I gave up on even trying to find things to kill :P

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, if there are people pulling 200k, it's hard because they take all the points!

steam_sig.png
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Eh, the "Maximum DPS from the Maximum Uber weapon" gets dull quick. Rather than equip the Lancer or Adam Baldwin on everyone, I'm always interested in trying out new weapons.

Which reminds me that a fair percentage of your score comes from finding your teammate with one of the long wind-up weapons like the Typhoon or Spitfire putting fire onto a target then stepping in front of him so that you block his LOF AND maybe steal his kill. Profit !! Holy Moley people, haven't you had any tactical training ?

I had a phase where I wanted to try out new weapons and other classes.

The very first time I loaded into a pub where we wiped but where I could have carried us to victory had I been on my Turian Ghost or AIU, I immediately went back to those two.

Even against the computer, I am just way too competitive to let myself lose because I chose a less powerful class than I could.

Dhalphir wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »

I had a phase where I wanted to try out new weapons and other classes.

The very first time I loaded into a pub where we wiped but where I could have carried us to victory had I been on my Turian Ghost or AIU, I immediately went back to those two.

Even against the computer, I am just way too competitive to let myself lose because I chose a less powerful class than I could.

Just start with your power class and gear down if the group seems competent enough to not need you to solo the game.

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Played with a couple friends and a rotating 4th PUG spot.

One of them was, without a doubt, the worst player I have ever seen on Gold. I'm 90% sure the guy was actually trying... and when Wave Six started?

He had less than 4k points. The hack objective put him at about 6.3k.

He then promptly dropped, thus missing an easy carry to a full extraction.

• envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    My favourite bad pug story recently was a human vanguard who only spammed shockwave.

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    envoy1 wrote: »
    My favourite bad pug story recently was a human vanguard who only spammed shockwave.

Gotta love the guys who clearly have no clue how to use their class (or maybe Shockwave guy was doing it for laughs, no clue myself on that one).

Had one last week, Turian Sentinel... with a Typhoon X and Widow X. Massive N7 and achievement points.

Ended up with maybe half the points as third.

I wish there was a text chat for lobbies. I've been seeing a lot of new players lately, some of them player powers classes but loaded out with two weapons and I just want to tell them what they're doing wrong!

Vanguard does not need an avenger and a katana!

Regarding consumables, I've been using lvl 1 and 2 for knocking out weapon challenges on bronze and silver. I have a pretty big stack of both ar and smg rails at low levels so these are strictly for completing challenges.

Lvl 3 stuff is reserved for gold, but I won't always use them depending on my class and what other classes are in the lobby.

And I won't even consider doing platinum matches without a full lobby of PA people who know how to play, getting stuck with mediocre allies during platinum is tantamount to torture.

And I'm not a masochist.

steam_sig.png
    Ooh, ooh, Asari Adept with a Harrier and Black Widow.

Fucking adepts carrying two heavy weapons. And it happens all the time.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2014
    I'd almost extend that to ANYONE carrying two of any weapons. You are nearly always better off speccing and focusing your class HEAVILY towards one weapon and only carrying that one. Most classes benefit from having their abilities available quicker, and I can't really think of a single class who would benefit more from the extra weapon than from the quicker cooldowns.

I might be wrong here, but I've never built an MP class with more than one weapon and I've never felt a need to.

Dhalphir on
    I can see using two weapons if you've got one that has limited ammo or limited applications, and you're carrying an smg with 90% weight reduction as backup.

steam_sig.png
    I'd almost extend that to ANYONE carrying two of any weapons. You are nearly always better off speccing and focusing your class HEAVILY towards one weapon and only carrying that one. Most classes benefit from having their abilities available quicker, and I can't really think of a single class who would benefit more from the extra weapon than from the quicker cooldowns.

I might be wrong here, but I've never built an MP class with more than one weapon and I've never felt a need to.
    The only time it matters is if you're building a no-powers character, like the N7 Soldier. Just slap a Pirahna and a Harrier, then go to town.

sig.gif
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I thought you HAD to have two weapons equipped?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited March 2014
    Fuck no, just one. They do recommend two though, for "varying defenses". You also automatically start with two, so most people don't realize it.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    there have been times i've been on my paladin with a geth engie backing me up

and you know how i play paladin - if i'm not shooting you i'm firing powers, and if i'm not firing powers i'm smacking you in the face with my shield multiple times

anyway, i have legit crashed the PC version of the game by doing too much at once

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular

Reminds me of when the game first came out, and I'd see Asari Adepts with Widows/Black Widows all the time so they could use stasis bubble and then headshot enemies. I could never really wrap my head around that being fun.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »

Reminds me of when the game first came out, and I'd see Asari Adepts with Widows/Black Widows all the time so they could use stasis bubble and then headshot enemies. I could never really wrap my head around that being fun.

Trust me when I say it's one of the easier ways to deal with Phantoms as a power class.

• Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Can't tell you all how happy I am that Dad Joke Thane is becoming a thing.

http://ferelden.tumblr.com/tagged/thanedj

I wasn't sure if I should groan or awesome your post so I did both

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

Don't believe those weenies up there, yes you are required to equip two weapons, the heavier the better.

Holy Crap had I been playing the Paladin wrong. Incinerate AND Snap Freeze ? Are you kidding me ? This may become tied with the Destroyer for all-time butt kicking.