As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] - The thrilling F2P adventures of Henroid, Bounty Hunter and snappy dresser.

• Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    ah I see, you're right. It's free to subscribers. So sub for a month and it's yours, or just buy it outright (prob cheaper to sub a month)

One thing to note, which is probably only really relevant for specific edge cases. It was proven on reddit that if you pay for the expansion, you are authorized to wear any artifact gear from that expansion, even if you have not paid for it in the cartel shop. You are not allowed to equip previous level artifact equipment though. In the instance where you have an account that lapsed prior to the expansion, and are now premium coming back to the game at 50th level, it might actually be more cost effective to just buy the expansion.

In general though, yeah.... just subscribe for one month.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hanzohanzo Registered User regular
    Egos wrote: »
    so I'm trying to do the Bounty Contracts. And I'm wondering if this is a solo issue or equipment issue.

Is it remotely possible to take on Champions solo? This one seemed to level scale...and I've had trouble with ones that were like a few lvls below me in the past.

I was wondering this as well. I just started playing after a year off and am running a lvl 50 Assassin Tank with Centurion PVP gear. I'm beginning to think I need to get a whole new set of gear. The regular bounty hunting missions were fine but the Kingpin was handing me my ass until a kind soul who was there to kill the kingpin as well jumped in and bailed me out. Are Kingpin missions meant to be group missions or is my gear just old and crappy? :'(

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    hanzo wrote: »
    Egos wrote: »
    so I'm trying to do the Bounty Contracts. And I'm wondering if this is a solo issue or equipment issue.

Is it remotely possible to take on Champions solo? This one seemed to level scale...and I've had trouble with ones that were like a few lvls below me in the past.

I was wondering this as well. I just started playing after a year off and am running a lvl 50 Assassin Tank with Centurion PVP gear. I'm beginning to think I need to get a whole new set of gear. The regular bounty hunting missions were fine but the Kingpin was handing me my ass until a kind soul who was there to kill the kingpin as well jumped in and bailed me out. Are Kingpin missions meant to be group missions or is my gear just old and crappy? :'(

You generally need at least one other player to beat Kingpins.

Its not true of all the Kingpins, but some of them definitely need 2+

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Yikes, I went to the auction house and everything is 50% more expensive than it has been recently. I'll look in tomorrow to unlocking a skill crew slot or character slot.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Henroid wrote: »
    Yikes, I went to the auction house and everything is 50% more expensive than it has been recently. I'll look in tomorrow to unlocking a skill crew slot or character slot.

The prices kinda fluctuate with the day of the week, generally stuff is cheaper on the weekends with Wednesday-ish being the most expensive.

EDIT: Although this may vary per server.

emp123 on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Never done Bounty Contract Week before. Also I have switched focus recently to get all my 50+s to 55.

Now that I've taken my 55s through their weeklies, seems like as good a time as any to have my Powertech make the leap to max level...

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    The Champion on DK at least is soloable. Note that I am in mostly 168 gear.

I honestly thought the Force using characters for the daily quest on Oricon was harder to solo.

• Options
    Fixer40000Fixer40000 Registered User regular
    Legacy abilities with Heroic Moment are great for dealing with Kingpins.
    Most useful is probably force choke. Hell of a lot of damage and a channelled stun, but Unity from getting to Light V for damage reduction too.

Have left PA forums.
    If this community believes that hating someone based soley upon their gender is acceptable and understandable, I have no interest in being a part of it.
  • Options
    kmzkmz Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Some of the champions are soloable at lower levels if you and your companion are well-geared. The Nar Shaddaa one I remember being pretty easy at pretty much any level if you're careful with the circles. The DK one I found doable at low levels but not once I got past level 20 or so. Similarly with the Hutta one.

kmz on
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Such has been my experience with Kingpin bounties:
    • Voss: regularly solo'd at 55 on a Gunnery Commando in ~72 gear with healing companion. Fairly easy.
    • Alderaan: solo'd with a 55 Sage Healer in 69s + tank companion. Was challenging and also a huge extended slog. (also the guy is an annoying prick. "You can't kill me! I'm Claw!" FFFFffff)
    • Coruscant: solo'd with a 55 tank-spec Shadow (pre-patch) in 69s + healing companion. Pretty easy but long. Tons of adds and landscape mobs spawning in all the time.
    • Hutta: only ever done in a group
    • DK: solo'd on a 55 tank-spec Jugg in shit 61/63 gear + healing companion in even more shit gear. A real pain in the ass due to gear.
    • Tatooine: only ever done in a group
    • Ord Mantell: only ever done in a group
    • Nar Shaddaa: only ever done in a group

Basically, if you're max level and have decent gear (and your companion does too) you should be able to solo them if you're good.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    Hutta was the easiest for me by leaps and bounds.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Got one of the new Acquisition packs. Sadly, it was a frog dog uniform set. My rare was a neat vehicle though, the Amzab Breeze. Probably not worth the 900cc. Oh well.

I've spent 2k coins in the last week and still have another 2k. Hoping the Ashfall Tauntaun goes back up in price, since I'm hanging onto one to sell.

Assuran on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I finished Taris on my Sith Warrior. That was a damn nice story line for the class.

Thoughts on Sith Warrior Chapter 2 so far.(Taris+1 mission after)
    I loved taking out the Alliance generals. The fights were fun the gloating was more fun. The mini version of the suicide run at the end though? Awesome. And the capping off of killing Thana. I flirted with her to annoy her. Then stabbed her in the back at the end. It was perfectly Sith. I loved every minute of it.

Also noticed since I started using Jaesa as my main companion I am becoming way more darkside. Like it has ramped up a lot. And the choices still make sense are aren't the stupid, let them die and loose asset choices they were earlier. They are more like, kill or let live. And neutral choices are more long term. I kind of like that. I don't feel my character is making sacrifices of his long term plans to be "dark side" anymore.

Also killing the mouthy Admiral on his own ship, felt good man.

Still I need more force choke+you have failed me lines.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    So given that 2+ 55 heroics are soloable if you have halfway decent gear, and supposedly some level 55 flashpoints, what about the big level 50 flashpoints like False Emperor/Battle for Ilum?

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I finished Taris on my Sith Warrior. That was a damn nice story line for the class.

I loved taking out the Alliance generals. The fights were fun the gloating was more fun. The mini version of the suicide run at the end though? Awesome. And the capping off of killing Thana. I flirted with her to annoy her. Then stabbed her in the back at the end. It was perfectly Sith. I loved every minute of it.

Also noticed since I started using Jaesa as my main companion I am becoming way more darkside. Like it has ramped up a lot. And the choices still make sense are aren't the stupid, let them die and loose asset choices they were earlier. They are more like, kill or let live. And neutral choices are more long term. I kind of like that. I don't feel my character is making sacrifices of his long term plans to be "dark side" anymore.

Favourite line in the Sith Warrior storyline:
    Nomen Karr "Now, there's no need for violence."
    Sith Warrior: "I feel an OVERWHELMING. NEED FOR VIOLENCE"
    *kills every mo-fo in the room*

Have left PA forums.
    If this community believes that hating someone based soley upon their gender is acceptable and understandable, I have no interest in being a part of it.
  • Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    So given that 2+ 55 heroics are soloable if you have halfway decent gear, and supposedly some level 55 flashpoints, what about the big level 50 flashpoints like False Emperor/Battle for Ilum?

I almost solo'd normal Battle for Ilum on a brand spanking new 55 gunslinger (I couldn't beat the last boss, best attempt with heroic moment was 25%). I'm fairly positive I could solo it on my main if I actually tried. Haven't tried False Emperor.

I did try to solo the new level 55 flashpoints last night. Didn't go so well since I couldn't use the free healing stations on the bosses. Then again, with my 2 minute queue's for them, it seems kinda silly to try.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

I have to admit that the Sith Warrior storyline is only slightly disappointing if you've gone through the Sith Inquisitor storyline. But I get the difference as well, where the Warrior is all about 'you will die and I will enjoy it', the Inquisitor is all about 'you will die slowly while I gloat and snark relentlessly'.

But you are right that the Warrior needs more Force choking or just badass behavior in general by the time Chapter 2 gets going. The Inquisitor gets a ton of scenes where they just wreck the room as they scowl at everyone, plus towards the end of Chapter 1 almost every one of the Inquisitor's conversations has the option to light the other person up like a Christmas tree. That just... doesn't get old.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »

I have to admit that the Sith Warrior storyline is only slightly disappointing if you've gone through the Sith Inquisitor storyline. But I get the difference as well, where the Warrior is all about 'you will die and I will enjoy it', the Inquisitor is all about 'you will die slowly while I gloat and snark relentlessly'.

But you are right that the Warrior needs more Force choking or just badass behavior in general by the time Chapter 2 gets going. The Inquisitor gets a ton of scenes where they just wreck the room as they scowl at everyone, plus towards the end of Chapter 1 almost every one of the Inquisitor's conversations has the option to light the other person up like a Christmas tree. That just... doesn't get old.

Much like Vader I should be choking half the Imperials I meet.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Much like Vader I should be choking half the Imperials I meet.

See, this is why the Empire is lagging behind the rest of the universe! All those Bothans and Twileks and other vile alien species are racing ahead while all our politicos are force choking each other instead of setting the Empire to rights! #economy #transparency #secedefromempire

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    #emperormalguswasright

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Okay so what's this thing I got as a reward, something about an inherited weapon. I checked out the vendor that accepts this - it's like purple quality, but has shit stats. What gives?

it's poorly explained, but you're meant to send the token to an alt to redeem. The weapons are nice enough for a level 12-ish alt for a few levels, but not really that useful anyway

I think the inheritance pieces are lvl 10-15, depending on which part it is, while the birthright gear is lvl ~30-35 (again depending on which piece it is).
    The real deal-breaker is that while the gear Binds to Legacy, it is class specific*). So no shipping that semi-useful Counselor gear off to your Inquisitor.

The final insult is to have Birthright pieces drop on Makeb.

[edit] *) Which also means none of your companions can use it. Congratulations!

Commodore75 on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    The entire concept behind the legacy vendors on the capital planets is just whack. Really didn't think that stuff through. There is no reason at all for any of it to be class specific. I hope they update those vendors at some point.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Super psyched about this xp weekend. Totally missed the last one due to real life an being and adult. None of that foolishness will hold me back this weekend!

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Observation: A lot of the hairstyles in this game are goofy as shit, regardless of gender. Also, a lot of the cosmetics are also goofy.

Conclusion: A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, people had bad fashion sense.

• Options
    Observation: A lot of the hairstyles in this game are goofy as shit, regardless of gender. Also, a lot of the cosmetics are also goofy.

Conclusion: A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, people had bad fashion sense.

Some of the hair comes from classic Star Wars, so you can blame the 70s... IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE.

Have left PA forums.
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014

Naturally I read this in HK's voice.

Anyway, I tooled around with this a little bit about a month ago and was hoping to play a bit more this weekend. I can't launch the game yet because it's "Reorganizing data", but it's only done about 7% in 20 minutes. Is this normal? At this rate it would be quicker to just download the entire thing again!

I've no problem with waiting but I'm just curious.

Edit: It just suddenly jumped up to 98% while I wasn't looking, never mind!

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    so assuming I planned to resub for a month or two sometime in the near future to play a bit, is there an optimal time to do it in terms of rewards? I saw the thing where you get bonus coins for being subbed before May 4 or whatever, but it wasn't really clear how that worked or what conditions were attached to it.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    so assuming I planned to resub for a month or two sometime in the near future to play a bit, is there an optimal time to do it in terms of rewards? I saw the thing where you get bonus coins for being subbed before May 4 or whatever, but it wasn't really clear how that worked or what conditions were attached to it.

For 60 days I think it is:
    After April 25 (June 24 gives the House, or was the cut-off date earlier?), but before May 4 (1000 cartel coins).

[edit] See @Veagle's post below.

Commodore75 on
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Hey guys I've got a question. Is it possible to play through the class missions without grinding out side quests or doing any flashpoints/pvp? I enjoyed playing a sith juggernaut back when the game first came out. But after trying imperial agent it became apparent that the grind involved in keeping my character leveled was unacceptable. I hate mmorgps but I loves me some Bioware stories.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    If it's possible, it'd probably require stacking as many XP boosters as possible, but I rather doubt you can get by on class missions alone.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Hey guys I've got a question. Is it possible to play through the class missions without grinding out side quests or doing any flashpoints/pvp? I enjoyed playing a sith juggernaut back when the game first came out. But after trying imperial agent it became apparent that the grind involved in keeping my character leveled was unacceptable. I hate mmorgps but I loves me some Bioware stories.

Unless you have some friends to play with, it'll be tough to work through the game without working through some side missions or the bonus series to stack up your levels. It takes time, but I'd recommend going through the side missions twice anyway on either side, just to see how thing pan out if you go good or bad during the campaign.

You will have to spend some money to upgrade yourself and your companions if you plan to stand any kind of a chance against some bosses without help, unless you're thoroughly aware of how to disrupt their skills effectively.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    I've been trying to figure that out for awhile. According to the site, the upcoming rewards are:

May 4th - Subscribers get 1000 cartel coins.
    May 11th - Subscribers unlock the Nar Shadaa stronghold, and 3 extra rooms, but I don't think you can actually use it until early access starts a little bit later.
    June 24th - Subscribers unlock the Nar Shadaa stronghold, but not with the extra rooms, and subscribers can start using strongholds.
    July 29th - Preferred players can start using strongholds.
    August - Free players can start using strongholds.

So if you only do 1 month, you either want to start it before May 4th to get the coins and the upgraded stronghold, or just before June 24th to get the stronghold and early access. I'll probably sub for a month starting next week, although it'll be a little annoying to get a stronghold that I can't use for 2 and a half months.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular

Unless you have some friends to play with, it'll be tough to work through the game without working through some side missions or the bonus series to stack up your levels. It takes time, but I'd recommend going through the side missions twice anyway on either side, just to see how thing pan out if you go good or bad during the campaign.

You will have to spend some money to upgrade yourself and your companions if you plan to stand any kind of a chance against some bosses without help, unless you're thoroughly aware of how to disrupt their skills effectively.
    Yeah, the thing is I don't have the time or patience to grind out all the side quests on each side for every character. I'm surprised there's no viable "story only" option now that they've gone f2p. I'd give them money for just the class stories, oh well.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options

Yeah, the thing is I don't have the time or patience to grind out all the side quests on each side for every character. I'm surprised there's no viable "story only" option now that they've gone f2p. I'd give them money for just the class stories, oh well.

But you already have, for buying the game. That's the thing about the game. Not to badmouth it much, but the purpose of any MMO is to separate you from your money, so they ended up sucking you into a story that you can't finish without a little financial assistance.

It's not something you should feel bad about, rather something you should expect. They're trying to pull you in, and this is how they do it. Hopefully getting a premier account isn't too hard, and you can work through the stories of the classes when you can, if you can help it.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    so I was replaying the Jedi Knight intro. I hadn't gone a darker path before, not sure if spoiler is needed or not
    lots of the darkside decisions I don't see a rationale reason to make. But I finally killed the Fleshraider wanting to be a jedi.

That cutscene of you just casually tossing him into the pyre is pretty fucking great.

• Options
    My rationale for the darkside decisions in playing a bad knight is a mix of laziness and self-centeredness. Like he's not trying to be evil or anything, it's just so much more work to protect these imperials from the colocoids than it would be to just kill them, and they're dying anyway. And besides we're supposed to kill imps! etc.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    My rationale for the darkside decisions in playing a bad knight is a mix of laziness and self-centeredness. Like he's not trying to be evil or anything, it's just so much more work to protect these imperials from the colocoids than it would be to just kill them, and they're dying anyway. And besides we're supposed to kill imps! etc.

the way I rationalized it was not wanting to deal with people waiting on their asses while bad shit happens and thinking that the Jedi are too indecisive or some such
    with that it was largely you ask the twi'lek "kid" if your character should feel sorry for the guy and he goes "No, I wouldn't. I mean" - it sounds like he has been mistreated. And the creature really just wants power. So it's kinda like "yeah maybe he'll go lightside, but so far he is just a barbarian more likely to go the darkside at some point and cause problems". Mixed in with some disdain for what the fleshraiders have already done

Two other intro darkside decisions , the latter I have yet to do
    for BH's and Agents- killing the force sensitive kid's father so he can train on Korriban. With Agents it can become very easy to justify in that you think Darth Jadus may be watching your every move. With Bounty Hunters it feels like you need to really go for the pure greed angle or loyal to your employer regardless (weird morality).

The second is the Bounty Hunter one where you can turn in the Republic Doctor (I think) who is being hunted by the guy who the Hutt gave the token to . I tried to do it twice, but Mako keeps going "Really?". And then it's like geeze if you are gonna protest that much...you really don't want me to do it.

I did finally bring myself to kill poor Yalt , though :D

On that note, I find it very hard to destroy those eels for that Imperial Spy/Smuggler (might have just been a smuggler working for the imperials) if you are an Agent. The only time I can think of you wanting to do that is if you are rping as someone who is working to destroy the empire from the inside, but even if you were this - it seems like it would be sort of a tip-off?

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    I've been trying to figure that out for awhile. According to the site, the upcoming rewards are:

May 11th - Subscribers unlock the Nar Shadaa stronghold, and 3 extra rooms, but I don't think you can actually use it until early access starts a little bit later.
    June 24th - Subscribers unlock the Nar Shadaa stronghold, but not with the extra rooms, and subscribers can start using strongholds.

So if you only do 1 month, you either want to start it before May 4th to get the coins and the upgraded stronghold, or just before June 24th to get the stronghold and early access. I'll probably sub for a month starting next week, although it'll be a little annoying to get a stronghold that I can't use for 2 and a half months.

so what I'm getting from this is, sub at like the end of april, then maybe extend at the end of may and hit the june 24 date too

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    jedi knight is afflicted probably the most by bioware's biggest writing crutch, which is that sometimes your character acts like an asshole for no discernible reason whatsoever other than that there needs to be a 'bad' option. Like in the example you mentioned there's no reason
    that the dark side option couldn't have been 'fuck you dude, flesh raiders can't be jedis' and then he runs off to continue learning the darkside stuff on his own

that would at least make some kind of sense in the context of what's going on on tython and wouldn't make the character out to be a weird sociopath

but, :bioware:

some of the dark side knight options aren't so bad though, I liked the parts where you had the option to side with the republic military in opposition to whatever random jedi X wanted you to do

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »

so what I'm getting from this is, sub at like the end of april, then maybe extend at the end of may and hit the june 24 date too

The problem is that I think you need an active sub throughout the early access, or else you will get pushed back into the preferred group. So if your account ran out on say June 30th, you'd get to try out your stronghold for 6 days, then get kicked out until the end of July.

I'm not totally sure if that is accurate, but it's what happened to me during the starfighter early access period.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.