As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Instant Messengers

JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
This is not a "what IM do you use," although it can certainly include that. Rather, this is concerning what sort of functionality you want your IM program to be able to have, and what direction you would like IM to go with. Also, spoilers at the end are personal whoring, spoilered because I didn't want them to detract from the rest of the post.

So first, a little background.

While email and bulletin boards served nicely as early means of communication on the Internet, it was inevitable that a real-time communication service would arise. Early forms arose as either peer-to-peer or server based, and started off as means for multiple users on the same machine to communicate, later expanding to encompass communication on the Internet as well. The grand-daddy of them all, Internet Relay Chat (IRC), was an example of the server-based protocol which came to dominate modern IM structure. Still widely in use today, it started as a text-only service, later expanding to provide many features. While allowing for individuals to directly message one another, it differs from most of the other popular IM services by focusing around "channels," or rooms where many users can login. There are simply too many features and attributes to document here, not the least of which are the varying levels of permissions in individual rooms, the capabilities of bots, sending individual files between peers, and many more. Oddly enough, many people do not associate IRC with what Instant Messaging has become (or even know that it exists), so we might be better suited moving onto the five primary clients/protcols (in order of introduction).

ICQ_Logo.png

ICQ came on the scene in 1996. It was very feature-rich and actually was the only IM system to have many of these features (for example: resumable file transfer, offline messaging) for a long while. Individual users were assigned a UIN (starting with five digits and growing - over 400,000,000 UINs have been assigned). This allowed users to change their names at will, but could make adding additional users moderately difficult or tedious. In 1998, ICQ's parent company was purchased by AOL, and from 2000 onward, ICQ and AIM users were able to communicate with one another in their individual clients. More on this later.

aim.gif

AOL Instant Messenger was the second major IM client out the door, released in 1997. Like most of the other major clients, it is feature rich, providing chatrooms, games, voice, video, and a variety of other features. The most recent version released includes RSS feeds for changes to user accounts, individual web pages for every name, and opening of the client to developers. AIM was unique from ICQ in that individual users registered permanent names to identify themselves, which fixed the visual listing of an individual on the IM list, both a pro and a con.

48px-Yahoo%21_Messenger.png

Yahoo came out with their own instant messenger in 1998. It featured integration with its other Yahoo account features, including email, and other items. Like the other major clients, it now has a variety of features, including the first client to include buzzing (shaking the receiver's IM window), music status, and customizable IM windows. Later on, Yahoo and MSN merged protocols, but once more, more on that later.

0012-20020527122200-1234567.gif
.NET Messenger, formerly MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger/Windows Live! Messenger/however many other names they've given it is Microsoft's Instant Messenger. Registration required a valid email (initial a hotmail or msn email), but allowed the user to change what their visible screenname. It was first released in 1999, and often seemed to come out with unique features, such as whiteboards, merging with Xbox Live, etc.

jabber.png / Google%20Talk.png

Finally, we have Jabber, an open standards Instant Messenger protocol, most widely used in Google Talk. Jabber was first released in 2000, Google Talk in 2005, primarily as a VoIP chat product. Jabber is particularly unique by allowing for individuals to set up their own servers, providing much flexibility. Usernames are set up in a format similar to that of emails, but not precisely. Google Talk is integrated with GMail, and offers a number of other features, and can communicate with other Jabber clients.

In addition to these clients, there are a large number of other ones which could easily be mentioned, but don't seem to hold as much mindshare/marketshare. A particular nod should be given to Skype, but it is designed to be more of an Internet Telephony program as opposed to an Instant Messenger. Furthermore, there are far more programs which I am less familiar with, such as QQ, an asian IM program with a massive following, Gadu-Gadu, Xfire - which I'm sure many of you are more familiar with, using it to coordinate for online gaming, and Sametime, IBM's enterprise solution.

Now, with this fracturing of the marketplace into separate protocols and clients, it lead to the difficulty of herd mentality. Two solutions have arisen to combat this problem, neither one of them completely solving the problem. First, and primary among these was the usage of programs which could connect to multiple protocols. Examples are Gaim, Miranda, Adium, and Trillian. These programs allows for all the user lists to be combined into a single one, but still necessitated a user account for every protocol the user wished to use. Additionally, some deals have been struck by different companies, merging protocols - AIM and ICQ users can IM one another, as can MSN and Yahoo. Google Talk also will be able to connect to AIM in future upgrades. Ideally, all IM protocols would be able to talk with one another and the different programs would compete off the basis of features, but that may not necessarily happen

Moving forward

So here we get to what this thread is actually about - we have a slew of programs, a number of protocols, varyign yet similar featuresets - but what do people want?

One of the more successful recent ventures was the AJAX client, Meebo, which allows for individuals to access their IM list and usernames from a browser window - essentially a much more powerful and user friendly version of AIM Express, AOL's own browser-based client, while allowing access to all protocols. In addition to this, meebo began to offer meeboMe, what amounted to an IM window docked on a webpage, where users could instantly contact the admin of a webpage without needing an IM client of their own.

In another direction, the next generation Trillian client, Trillian Astra appears to be trying to abstract the various protocols into a single account, which will allow users to contact an individual without needing the separate protocol name, as well as combining this information into the social networking scheme that has been found around the Internet.

So, we've gone from basic text chat rooms to individual user lists with the ability to draw, play games, voice and video chat, transfer files, and a slew of other items - what features do you actually use, or want in an IM? What would you like to see in the future? Do you expect IM protocols to eventually coalesce into a single entity, inter-operable with one another? Would you rather maintain the differentiation between products?
I started thinking about this as I was recently added to the alpha of Astra myself, and have not really come to any personal conclusions about what I expect, or desire in future incarnations. If you all have any questions about it, feel free to post/pm me to find out.

Additionally, I think this is the longest OP I've ever written. And on such a random topic. Ah well.

Jragghen on

• Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited March 2007
    Instant messengers almost seem archaic to me. I still use them, but nowhere near as much as I used to. I think the immediate future for them is going to be as part of an email service, like Google chat. Yahoo I think is coming out with something similar.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    people live and die by MSN up here

MSN itself can be lifted from garbage to glory with the Mess patch courtesy of www.mess.be

its a great program once you strip all the BS out of it. I webchat, use whiteboard, transfer files, show everyone what I'm listening to at any moment, display pics, etc etc

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I must of first got ICQ some time in 1998 I haven't used it in close to 7 or so years but I still remember to this day my UIN.

I use MSN exclusivly now. As do most Australians I know. AIM seems to be more of an american flavour. I ended up using MSN simply because ICQ became a giant heap of bloatware and it took too long on the old pentium 200 to boot up.

Important features for a messenging service.

Low RAM use.
    Fast
    Able to transfer files easily
    Look pretty.

Blake T on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The new image sharing on AIM sucks ass. As do the emoticons.

Hardly any of my main contacts are on MSN, so I don't really use it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I use Trillian and have an account on all the protocols, just to cover all the bases. It's not perfect, but it's far less annoying than any of the official clients; those just drive me crazy.

Glal on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, in Canada, MSN is pretty much king, for some reason. It's unbelievable.

But I don't mind at all. Aside from shitty file transfer speeds, MSN is a really great program, imo. A few uneeded bloat options here and there... but the interface is great, way better than other IM programs, and it's really solid.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm always curious that people dont talk about Skype much.

Is there a reason why people dont use it? I just use that for my messenging.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I use Windows Live Messenger. Mainly because I don't know anyone that uses anything else, but I actually like it. It's easy to use and I think it has a relatively clean interface.

The only things I don't like is the ads and the default smilies. I didn't think Microsoft would have to put ads in their IM. And the default smilies are crap. Is there a way to replace them?

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Peewi wrote: »
    I use Windows Live Messenger. Mainly because I don't know anyone that uses anything else, but I actually like it. It's easy to use and I think it has a relatively clean interface. The only thing I don't like is the ads. I didn't think Microsoft would have to put ads in their IM.

STOP

anyone using MSN and who hasnt patched it with the mess patch needs to do that immediately. it improves the experience threefold

I can possibly upload my config file for instant goodness

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    I use Windows Live Messenger. Mainly because I don't know anyone that uses anything else, but I actually like it. It's easy to use and I think it has a relatively clean interface. The only thing I don't like is the ads. I didn't think Microsoft would have to put ads in their IM.

STOP

anyone using MSN and who hasnt patched it with the mess patch needs to do that immediately. it improves the experience threefold

I'll look into it then.

Peewi on
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Trillian is definitely the way to go. It's got the most functionality and the most user-friendly interface short of AOL Instant Messenger (which it emulates). It offers a cozy middle ground between the bare-bones AIM and the nightmarishly difficult to use ICQ.

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I use aMSN on my Mac. Besides randomly not working, it's pretty good. Automatically saves webcam video too... ;)

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    blanknogoblanknogo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

STOP

I'd like to request that you do this. I like instant goodness.

blanknogo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

STOP

I'll look into it then.

it would take you 5 minutes from reading this point to finished state.

www.mess.be make sure you get latest messenger first. (8.1.0178) patch is on the left hand side.

load my config .ini file into the patch when you're given the option to do so, then just click through till the end. make sure to go into settings of msn itself and hide tabs under tabs and turn of windows live today as well in general.

http://download.yousendit.com/439BD06E48343FB8 the config file

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    corcorigan wrote: »
    I use aMSN on my Mac. Besides randomly not working, it's pretty good. Automatically saves webcam video too... ;)

You fucking tease.

I use Adium on my Mac and Trillian Pro on my Windows laptop. Trillian's fine, but it doesn't like dealing with webcams, and the direct-connect with AIM is spotty.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

STOP

Does the mess patch actually do Live! Messenger now as well, cause I remember looking at it a while ago and I couldn't see a configuration for the newest iteration of messenger.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    they update usually within 48 hours of any new (no matter how slight) new version of msn. some guy out of the middle east writes them

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    Echo on
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Adium uber alles.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm also using Msn (Windows Live Messenger actually) because everyone around here uses that. I'll have to look into this Mess thing when I get home.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Echo wrote: »

Right here... That's what I use from work. (At home, I'm on a Mac...)
    Miranda has a few issues, but it's small and uncluttered, handles my AIM, MSN and Jabber.

A while back (late 2004) I purchased a copy of Trillian Pro... Used it for a while until I realized that it was occassionally "losing" messages from MSN users, a serious issue as I was doing remote contract work at the time. My support request to the company was completely ignored, so I dumped that program.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GAIM using AIM. Never been a fan of MSN. Everyone I know uses AIM.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In Brazil people used only ICQ, until AOL killed it with their bloatware bullshit. my uin is quite old, 2306082.

Now, we all use a lot of MSN and Gtalk (because of gmail and Orkut).

Aim NEVER caught on here, noone have a crap to AOL.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    hmxmoss wrote: »

Right here... That's what I use from work. (At home, I'm on a Mac...)
    Miranda has a few issues, but it's small and uncluttered, handles my AIM, MSN and Jabber.

A while back (late 2004) I purchased a copy of Trillian Pro... Used it for a while until I realized that it was occassionally "losing" messages from MSN users, a serious issue as I was doing remote contract work at the time. My support request to the company was completely ignored, so I dumped that program.
    I use Miranda here at my work too. Looks like they're making some good strides with its next version too, putting in some decent defaults finally. Its small, light, and pretty. I like it.

I'm not sure what extra features I'd like in an IM program though. To tell the truth, most people I know don't use 'em. When we do, we just chat. No video. No audio. No.... whatever else people do. Main problem comes when people decide to send me pics and then no matter if I'm using official clients or not, things just go to shit. Jabber has some neat new features where you can basically create roaming bookmarks and stuff for your browser through it, and apparently Astra is adding some weird social stuff. Sound like neat things that I'll never use. I'm pretty happy with IM that does nothing but allow me to chat.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    BitlBee and XChat is what I use for instant messaging of any kind. No features at all, but I don't really need any.

Zell on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    I find it pretty interesting to observe how regional some IM systems are.

ICQ is big in Europe. MSN and AIM is big in the US.

Echo on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    A thread in G&T about IMs with no mention of Xfire? For shame. Being able to talk with PA shitheads while playing games with them. Thats what I want out of an instant messenger.

edit: Ok it was mentioned but barely. It is the only useful IM out there. All others are pretty worthless.

Drool on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

ICQ is full of spam, that is why I stopped using it 10 years ago or whatever.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I use Google Talk. All of my friends got Gmail accounts and a bunch of them went travelling abroad. When they would check their email it was also a time to catch up.

I used to use Trillian so I could connect to MSN and ICQ. However nobody I know uses ICQ anymore and I wasn't talking to any of my MSN contacts. The only people I still communicated with also used Google Talk. So it was an easy switch.

I like it because it's a pretty bare-bones interface, and it keeps my chat history online in my Gmail account. Having my chat history online is a great feature IMO.

I still remember my ICQ number; 8685789.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    mugginns wrote: »

ICQ is full of spam, that is why I stopped using it 10 years ago or whatever.

I was about to say, I don't think anyone uses ICQ that much anymore. I'm fairly sure MSN is the big one on Europe.

Rook on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MSNs the only one anyone I know uses.

And we talk over Steam a lot, but most of it is:

"Find a server"
    "No you find a server"
    "Fuck it lets just get on IOA"
    "Can't we play somewhere easier for a bit"

Ad nauseum.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oh, and Google Talk has offline messaging. That's important to me too. Messages either show up the next time you open the program, or they show in your Gmail.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Suds wrote: »
    Oh, and Google Talk has offline messaging. That's important to me too. Messages either show up the next time you open the program, or they show in your Gmail.

MSN does that now too. It took them a long time to catch up with that feature, it was one of the best things about ICQ.

Rook on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MSN is pretty popular in the UK. It's a nice, clean design, and the mess.be patches help eliminate things like Ads (though I just ignore them if I haven't patched it). I know you can switch off the side tabs in default MSN, something which annoyed me to no end in the previous versions (I had no use for them, and I felt their curved tab nature didn't fit well with the rest of the IM look).

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I'm always curious that people dont talk about Skype much.

Is there a reason why people dont use it? I just use that for my messenging.

I think it's mostly because of how it markets itself - not as an instant messenger but as a VoIP service. I know people who boot it up when they want to make a phone call, then close it immediately afterwards - I myself am actually one of those.

What would be an interesting feature of future IM services is if they basically abstract out VoIP the same way that Skype has done with its pay version - assign a telephone number to each IM name (or allow for you to associate your current home/cell number with your name, givne that there's far too many IM names out there for each to get a number) so that you can "answer" telephone calls via voice chat.

But this is the sort of thing I'm talking about folks - what do you want to see, not as much what do you already use.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Nothing. All my needs are met with a very simple and basic IM client.

What else would I want? A stock ticker or weather updates? Sorry, but I'd rather not get those in the small window my IM client occupies.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think I am the first, last, and only person using QNext around here. It blends instant messaging programs like Trillian with peer-to-peer file sharing. It can even stream music from one client to another. If you asked me what I want in my IM programs, I would say an easy way to share more than just words, but also shared folders, media, white boards, etc. MSN hits a few of those points, but sometimes they just put so much junk in there I can't stand it. I also like how Trillian and GAIM allow you to login to multiple IM networks.

If QNext wasn't so bulky I would probably choose it as my #1 choice for IM programs, but nobody is on it and sharing just isn't as fun if you have nobody to share with. I guess GAIM and Trillian can fight it out for my love and affection.

http://qnext.com/

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    matt7718matt7718 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Am I the only person who uses AIM? I just use the Aim Ad Hack on it and it's fine. No Triton bullshit.

And every canadian I have ever met uses MSN.

matt7718 on
    mattsig.jpg
  • Options
    TorbidTorbid Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm curious.. most IMs have ways to send messages to cell phones, but interacting with IM clients from a cell phone has always been cumbersome and annoying to me. I think the future is the integration of IMs with cell phones. Does anyone do this now, and if so, how is the experience?

Torbid on
    XBL: Vehem [Fable2|SF2HDR]
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I've only used ICQ, and then AIM. I have accounts on MSNM and Yahoo, but only use them to get into contact with the three people that I know that don't use AIM.

I quit updating AIM once they hit that "titanium" nonsense, or whatever they call it.

iChat as well, but it's a gussied up AIM.

EDIT

It's funny seeing all these posts about MSN exclusivity. For a while there, I honestly thought that AIM was the only widely used client. I only knew of wide spread use of MSN in the development community.

Sheep on