As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Talk About Self-Care

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    Today I went to the dentist for the first time in like... 6-7ish years and found to my surprise that I have NO CAVITIES and that my teeth are actually pretty great! I had been terrified to go for so long because I thought for sure that I would have like 8 cavities and they'd have to pull out all of my teeth for some reason.

You lucky fucker.

I only went about 2-3 years without seeing one and I've already gotten one root canal and two teeth drilled down as much as you can without being a root canal.

And that's only on one side of my mouth.
    Imagine having those two teeth drilled at the same time, while being bodily held in place by the dentist even though you aren't resisting, after he purposely allowed the anesthetic to wear off!

Also he insults you and your family and tells you to stop crying because you are only making it worse.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Yes it is

It really really is try the episode "The Expert Witness"

or start from the beginning if that's your bag

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Kadith wrote: »
    Today I went to the dentist for the first time in like... 6-7ish years and found to my surprise that I have NO CAVITIES and that my teeth are actually pretty great! I had been terrified to go for so long because I thought for sure that I would have like 8 cavities and they'd have to pull out all of my teeth for some reason.

You lucky fucker.

I only went about 2-3 years without seeing one and I've already gotten one root canal and two teeth drilled down as much as you can without being a root canal.

And that's only on one side of my mouth.
    Imagine having those two teeth drilled at the same time, while being bodily held in place by the dentist even though you aren't resisting, after he purposely allowed the anesthetic to wear off!

Also he insults you and your family and tells you to stop crying because you are only making it worse.
    The anesthetic never really got all the way there actually...

And, he kept bringing up god, and god's plan etc so it was almost like having my family insulted...

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

No horseshit, Jack.

Any man does that to you again, you take his nuts in your hand and squeeze the shit out of them.

I'm looking at getting a shit-ton of implants over the next year and I've already told one dentist, 'I haven't taken care of myself for many years because of clinical depression and I expected to be dead by twenty-five. Chastisement does not impress me but compassion does.'

• Options
    As soon as He turned away to change the bit on his drill or something I stormed out of his office.

I cursed loudly at him and his staff and maybe even his other patients on my way out.

I was like 16 or 17.

It was the first time I cursed in front of my mother.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    As soon as He turned away to change the bit on his drill or something I stormed out of his office.

I cursed loudly at him and his staff and maybe even his other patients on my way out.

I was like 16 or 17.

It was the first time I cursed in front of my mother.

Good.

That prick deserves to have his license revoked.

• Options
    I can't imagine he had it much longer.

I know he doesn't work in this town anymore so someone must have sued.

I wanted too but my mom said no... :(

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    My wife had to take some kind of pill before she can go to the dentist. Xanax, valium, whatever will not interact with the dentist's voice of anesthetic. She takes it the night before to get to sleep and then that day to stay relaxed. She has a great reason though. Spoilers for slightly gross
    She needed a root canal done, but the tooth had an infection in it. So she goes on antibiotics for ten days. Goes to the office and everything goes as planned. The next day she is in enough pain to take one of the darvocet the dentist prescribed. She makes it through the day then comes home and lays in the bed and takes another one to get to sleep. The next morning she wakes up in the worst pain of her life and takes another pill. Well it does almost nothing and she is laying there in her sleep crying. It was very strange. So I call the dentist and he listens about the pain and the medicine not working and says "You can give her another pill but you will have to watch her breathe for at least the next 3 hours." So I give her the pill and she finally gets some sleep and I sit there reading beside her.

When she wakes up later she discovers the pain is lessened and her mouth tasted terrible. It turns out the infection was still there and by sealing the cavity left by the tooth it had sealed it in there. So as the bacteria grew it created pressure in the gum which could only be released by rupturing her gum through the inner wall. So a little tunnel was eaten out of her gum and then a mixture of pus and bacteria poured out. Having now given birth she claims the pain of contractions did not pass the pain from the root canal.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    Yes it is

I see that Jon Lajoie is in it
    intriguing

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    My wife had to take some kind of pill before she can go to the dentist. Xanax, valium, whatever will not interact with the dentist's voice of anesthetic. She takes it the night before to get to sleep and then that day to stay relaxed. She has a great reason though. Spoilers for slightly gross
    She needed a root canal done, but the tooth had an infection in it. So she goes on antibiotics for ten days. Goes to the office and everything goes as planned. The next day she is in enough pain to take one of the darvocet the dentist prescribed. She makes it through the day then comes home and lays in the bed and takes another one to get to sleep. The next morning she wakes up in the worst pain of her life and takes another pill. Well it does almost nothing and she is laying there in her sleep crying. It was very strange. So I call the dentist and he listens about the pain and the medicine not working and says "You can give her another pill but you will have to watch her breathe for at least the next 3 hours." So I give her the pill and she finally gets some sleep and I sit there reading beside her.

When she wakes up later she discovers the pain is lessened and her mouth tasted terrible. It turns out the infection was still there and by sealing the cavity left by the tooth it had sealed it in there. So as the bacteria grew it created pressure in the gum which could only be released by rupturing her gum through the inner wall. So a little tunnel was eaten out of her gum and then a mixture of pus and bacteria poured out. Having now given birth she claims the pain of contractions did not pass the pain from the root canal.

D:

The two teeth I didn't get a root canal on were close enough that there's still the possibility of them already being infected.

Thank you for the nightmare fuel.

D:

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Man I've never had a botched root canal, that must suck.

I've had probably 5 or 6 canals done too due to abscesses.

One tooth I had to get taken out because.
    it had split in half but was still in my jaw, severely infected, to relive the pain and pressure from it I had to stick my tongue between the two halves and suck the nasty blood out and spit it into the sink every few minutes... It got really bad really fast pain wise, they had to give me a shot of delauded in the ER along with a k-pack to take home

• Options
    Tam wrote: »
    Yes it is

I see that Jon Lajoie is in it
    intriguing

as a sexually magnetic stoner?

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

No horseshit, Jack.

Any man does that to you again, you take his nuts in your hand and squeeze the shit out of them.

I'm looking at getting a shit-ton of implants over the next year and I've already told one dentist, 'I haven't taken care of myself for many years because of clinical depression and I expected to be dead by twenty-five. Chastisement does not impress me but compassion does.'

No kidding, who the fuck does to that anyone?

That's not just being an asshole, that's straight up torture.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    @Uriel what possible reason could he have had for doing any of that

• Options
    I was like my second visit to the guy ever.

The first one was just a cleaning with his hygenist and a checkup by him.

He seemed normal enough at first.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

Argh, I really should get onto booking an appointment too.

I mean I think I look after my teeth pretty well, but I don't think I've actually been to a dentist since middle school, which was about 14 years ago.

My boyfriend went 18 years and he only had 8 cavities... like I know 8 cavities sounds really scary to normal people but they're all quite small and easily handled! If I went 18 years without going to a dentist I wouldn't have any damn teeth left

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    everybody get out your floss right now

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Wait 8 cavities is scary to normal people? Ouch.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I have never had a cavity in my entire life, the idea of one is scary to me.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    A minor thing: AVG Secure Search.

Misclicked during an update, and it installed itself. I moved to uninstall it, but the damage was done. When I started up Chrome, my tabs were all gone, replaced by a new window with the AVG search bar staring at me. I cleared it out, but my old tabs are gone forever. I can't recover them as they don't show up in the list of recently closed tabs (the very first of which is my google search of "avg chrome tab"), presumably because I technically never closed them.

What the shit, AVG?

This is actually really interesting because you must be using Chrome very differently than me

I mean... "gone forever"?

how many pages have you just had open indefinitely and why can't you just get them back by opening a new tab? I just get the eight-slot quick dial screen and my OneTab page when I start up, and I try to clear everything out before I shut down.

Let's put it this way: I was a few new tabs away from them being listed as icons instead of page titles.

If I only had a few tabs open, it wouldn't be as much of a problem, as I could have just reopened them from memory.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Wait 8 cavities is scary to normal people? Ouch.

yeaaa and this is one of those life is so unfair things because I am insane about my dental care, I floss daily, brush twice a day, no sugared drinks, I quit "chipmunking" candy in my molars by the time I was 16, and I STILL get cavities regularly because my parents passed down shitty teeth. I went two years between cleanings and had three cavities, in high school I had 17 cavities in a year and that was when I was flossing daily and using prevident

• Options
    Let's see.

32 is the number of teeth a human has right?

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I've never had a cavity in my life either.

The closest thing to a filling I've ever had was one of those protective fissure sealant things you get as kids.

• Options
    I have foregone Tylenol (cause I forgot where I put it)
    so I downed two Blue Moons with a Shin Ramyun ramen with two eggs
    mmmmmmmm

also I have had one cavity and thankfully it was a baby tooth so I pulled it while I was in gym class and put it in the pocket of my gym shorts
    forgot about it and a week later emptied my pockets of crumbs of rotten tooth

I do however have four permanent canines that came in behind my deciduous ones (which never fell out) so I am sort of shark-like

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    "Nice" and "dentist" don't really go together.

I really don't get this because I've never had an issue with a dentist. Even the one who had to drill out a molar until it shattered in order to get it out was cool as hell

• Options
    who wants to do a google hangout

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Self care is debating seeing someone re seeing my ex and just shutting down like a robutt. All negative feeling of hurt betrayal and worthlessness come flooding back and now I just want to leave in the middle of lunch with friends. Halp

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I recorded myself crocheting a square but it's from the viewer side so it doesn't look as good and I can't figure out how to record it from my side and I wanna blog this shit

Someone let me borrow their Google Glass

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I've been slowing sinking into a depression...mostly due to the fact that some things got switched around for me professionally recently, and I'm extremely nervous about what that means for me. I'm not sure what else it could be.

So tonight for self-care I'm watching a movie, drinking a beer, and I made myself a nice steak, baked sweet potato and sauteed greenbeans with sesame oil. That'll be good for tonight but I'm not sure what I'll do to keep my head above water for however much longer this slump lasts. :\

aaaaaaaugh eff depression

• Options
    I'll write your name again if you want Mills

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    A minor thing: AVG Secure Search.

Misclicked during an update, and it installed itself. I moved to uninstall it, but the damage was done. When I started up Chrome, my tabs were all gone, replaced by a new window with the AVG search bar staring at me. I cleared it out, but my old tabs are gone forever. I can't recover them as they don't show up in the list of recently closed tabs (the very first of which is my google search of "avg chrome tab"), presumably because I technically never closed them.

What the shit, AVG?

This is actually really interesting because you must be using Chrome very differently than me

I mean... "gone forever"?

how many pages have you just had open indefinitely and why can't you just get them back by opening a new tab? I just get the eight-slot quick dial screen and my OneTab page when I start up, and I try to clear everything out before I shut down.

I get it.
    I often stumble upon/get linked to some interesting article or whatever, but then slate it for reading later and then it's days and days and days later and I still don't read it, but keep telling myself I will soon.

If something crashes, I will never, for the life of me remember what the shit that article/page was and it's gone forever.

And these sites aren't worthy of a bookmark either :P

This is a chrome extension which closes all your active tabs and saves the links on a personal page with the links sorted by date. They leave the list if you open them again and you can delete them from the list at any time.

boom I just saved you like 500mb of RAM use because you had too many god damn buzzfeed articles open

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Tam wrote: »
    I'll write your name again if you want Mills

Thanks Tammers

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Anti-self-care: deciding if I really want to take the LSATs and try to go to law school as a 30+ y/o.

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »
    I recorded myself crocheting a square but it's from the viewer side so it doesn't look as good and I can't figure out how to record it from my side and I wanna blog this shit

Someone let me borrow their Google Glass

webcam on a hat maybe?

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    Anti-self-care: deciding if I really want to take the LSATs and try to go to law school as a 30+ y/o.

well go ahead and take a practice test and see how you do

but before you decide to accept an offer to attend, do you:

1) have an acceptance letter from one of the top ten schools in the country?
    2) have an employer who wants to sponsor you to go to school and take the bar?
    3) have an offer for a full ride or very close to it at one of the top 50 or so schools?

if you don't have any of those things, law school is probably a terrible idea

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Are the people that invented Snapchat eligible for a Nobel prize? Or should I just send them a duffle bag of cash and a note that says "Good job?"

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Are the people that invented Snapchat eligible for a Nobel prize? Or should I just send them a duffle bag of cash and a note that says "Good job?"

I swear to god if you don't leave my mother alone

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Right now I am doing some research on eating a little healthier and making some plans so it will be easier for me to eat healthily in the future. Little things, for example, like buying a bunch of small, tight sealing tupperware containers so I can keep a bunch of different veggies in the fridge that I have cut up in advance. I am far more likely to saute up some mushrooms for breakfast if I don't have to cut them up the same morning.

Anyway, it's really obnoxious having to sort good healthy eating advice apart from pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo, especially because I need to figure out what the healthier options are at Japanese supermarkets (seeing as how I live in Japan), which I think is ratcheting up the new-age bullshit to an even higher level.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

Does this mean I should finally jnstall this stupid app?

Usagi on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

Does this mean I should finally jnstall this stupid app?

Sure if you wanna open the window to seeing a bunch of your friend's titties and or penises.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
This discussion has been closed.