As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They stole my DS!

bashbash Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
My damn apartment got broken into today while I was at work. The dirty fucker(s) stole my cameras, my Kensington laptop bag, and also my DS Lite with my copy of Phoenix Wright JFA in it. I'm really pissed because my apartment was seemingly the only one broken into and it's easily visible to all of the other damn apartments in this part of the complex. You almost can't avoid seeing my apartment window (where they broke in) from the other apartments around. Unfortunately no one seems to have seen anything.

I think I'm just going to store the rest of my valuable stuff in my office at work. Luckily they didn't snatch the rest of my DS games or my computer. That's actually really weird, they didn't bother stealing my MacBook Pro sitting on the same desk as my cameras and lenses. Needless to say it's coming with me to work from now on.

I was most of the way through Turnabout Big Top in PW:JFA.

If you're around San Jose and see someone selling a Canon 300D with three lenses on the cheap let me know. :x

comi-sig1.jpg
bash on

• Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That sucks. I had my Gameboy Color stolen back in the day, when me and a friend'd take it into college to trade Pokémon and do that ridiculous IR linkup thing. One day both of our consoles were stolen, obviously by someone we both knew because they knew that both of us had them and took them both at the same time.

Theft is never fun.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Damn dude. My condolences.

tardcore on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just had a moment of silence for your loss.

Now to scour the area for a cheap DS and sweet ass camera.

*note: I live in Connecticut, so...yeah.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have builders in my house for almost a year now, doing LOTS of work. I hate to assume they are the guilty party but earlier this year my DS Lite (with Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney in it) as well as my New Super Mario Bros. vanished from my room. I more recently realized that a DVD went missing as well (Memento). I'm pretty sure it was one of them, or possibly the plumber guy (he was only here a few times, would be less likely to be caught).

I feel your pain, and offer my condolences.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Those fuckers!

unlucky mate.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    I hate to assume they are the guilty party but earlier this year my DS Lite (with Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney in it) as well as my New Super Mario Bros. vanished from my room. I more recently realized that a DVD went missing as well (Memento). I'm pretty sure it was one of them, or possibly the plumber guy (he was only here a few times, would be less likely to be caught).

In his defense, he thought he was freeing a coworker from bondage.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    I hate to assume they are the guilty party but earlier this year my DS Lite (with Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney in it) as well as my New Super Mario Bros. vanished from my room. I more recently realized that a DVD went missing as well (Memento). I'm pretty sure it was one of them, or possibly the plumber guy (he was only here a few times, would be less likely to be caught).

In his defense, he thought he was freeing a coworker from bondage.

a wonderful connection that I didn't notice until I was typing the story.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So ah, anyone willing to complete the "DS stolen with Phoenix Wright" trifecta?

Perhaps it's Jack Thompson!

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, we had stuff stolen from the apartment building's basement storage area, by a fellow tenant, and we still felt violated.

That sucks. Did you file a police report? Planning on moving?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Man, we had stuff stolen from the apartment building's basement storage area, by a fellow tenant, and we still felt violated.

That sucks. Did you file a police report? Planning on moving?

Axey smashy revenge?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think this is the third or so time I've heard of something like this happening on these boards. It is making me paranoid about my apartment and it's flimsy locks.

Lux on
  • Options
    SamuelSamuel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Someone broke into the basement of my workplace a month or so ago. They rummaged through my bag, took my DS with Animal Crossing in it, and scarpered.

It's weird, because they obviously saw the other things in my bag, including my passport and a wallet with 8 DS games in it, but just left them.

So anyway. I feel your pain.

Samuel on
  • Options
    HlubockyHlubocky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is exactly what renter's insurance is for. Things like this don't happen often, so you can usually get by paying around $100 for the year for a few thousand dollars in coverage. If the total was less than $500 then it might not be a big deal, but if your laptop was stolen too, then it would have been a real pain to replace everything on your dime.

Hlubocky on
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Holy crap! I can complete the Phoenix Wright trifecta!

I had an original DS (non lite) stolen from my Apt here in Korea. Around 5 months ago I had to switch units from the 5th floor to the 6th floor and a few days after I settled in my DS went missing. The thing that pissed me off was it had my copy of the original Japanese version of Phoenix Wright on which I had gotten to Act 3. I have a feeling it was someone from the Realtor office because they had access to the door code (my door doesn't use a normal key entry). I tried to buy a DS-lite when I was back in the States during X-mas but it was impossible to find one. Luckily, Nintendo officially released the DS-lite here in Korea this past February so I was able to purchase one with the Korean AC adapter.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I had a window of my car busted out while it was stowed in the parking ramp at work. They took my DS Phat in it's case with like 6 games, and the pile of change out of the compartment in my center console.

Likely suspects were aplenty, the parking ramp had a soup-kitchen for the homeless on the first level. The police told me that happens all the time. Vagrants come in for lunch and then cruise the parking ramp looking for shit to pawn for desert.

Its infuriating. I would love to catch someone at it, even if it wasn't my car/home. I feel your pain.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Someone from my housekeeping service stole my GBA a few years ago. I wouldn't have minded if they hadn't also stolen Puzzle Fighter AND FFTA.

supabeast on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My roommates and I had a break in a few months ago (maybe even over a year ago?) ... I lost my PS2 and Gran Turismo 4, one roommate lost his X-Box, and we lost whatever cash money we had lying around (which actually just amounted to a couple bucks in bills and a pile of laundry quarters. Thankfully, nothing really irreplaceable was taken.

This thread reminds me that we should get that renter's insurance we talked about. It's really cheap and we'd be reimbursed for those losses no problem because they're so small (in the eyes of an insurance company).

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The renters insurance was mentioned in the what will I desperatly need when I move out thread.

Still need to organise that.

Trying to tabulate everything in my apartment will be a bitch though.

(but most likely worth it)

Blake T on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Monaro wrote: »
    So ah, anyone willing to complete the "DS stolen with Phoenix Wright" trifecta?

Perhaps it's Jack Thompson!

Well he does need practice...

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I had renters insurance for many years... never had to use it luckily...

fuck man... that really blows...

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    codechinocodechino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    similar thing happened to me a few years ago, it sucks bigtime.

stole my $3000 laptop, xbox, games, dvds, my guitar, and (insult to injury) my paycheck that i was going to cash later that day. took me almost a year to get the paycheck reissued properly, since it was a university payroll check, and uni's suck at things like that.

codechino on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Renters/house insurance is definately worth the money. I pay $100~ a year to cover about $35,000.

One thing to remember though is the insurance company wont give you anything without a receipt so what I do when I make a large purchase is scan the receipt and email it to my gmail account so even if there is a fire or whatever I have proof for everything.
    Takes a while to scan in all the receipts you have for stuff but if anything ever happens those few hours save weeks of headache.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    EnvyEnvy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, the 300D? That's not cheap at all... what a bunch of fuckers. I'm buying a D70s before I move to Seattle. Looks like I'm going to need to find a good hiding place for that.

Envy on
    or you could shut it up.
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    While I was still in college, one of the guys in my dorm went on a klepto spree and stole more than $3000 worth of people's stuff. Included in that were a few of my ps2 games, one of them being one of the original pressings of Disgaea, SSX (I think he didn't take SSX3 because he knew I played it all the time), Gran Turismo 3, Ratchet and Clank: Going Command, and GTA3 and VC.
    The guy was caught, but get this: Some other fuckers in the dorm claimed my games. Of those stolen I got Ratchet and Clank back. That's it. It still pisses me off to this day, especially Disgaea. I've since replaced it, but dammit, I got it for $60 new, and sunk another $60 in getting another one. I love the game too much to not own it.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Make sure when you buy anything even remotely expensive (any console, camera, laptop, etc) or just about anything with a serial number that you record that and have that info somewhere.

File the police report and let them know all the serial numbers. Any decent department will have a system that records everything, and all pawn shops, gamestops, etc are required to submit slips with A: serial numbers of everything they got, B: the persons info, and C: their finger prints.

We catch idiots ALL the time if you have the serial numbers. And you get your stuff back.

But more importantly, the douche gets nailed for felony burglary. Usually multiple counts ;)

Karrmer on
  • Options
    RikatixRikatix Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I love these stories.

I live in a shady ass part of town that happens to be really close to my college. Me and my roomates have all had our cars broken into, broken glass and all. They stole one of my mates and my stereo, broke the dash open and all. I deliever pizza on the weekends and when people tip me in change, I put it into the middle console of my car and then, like once every 6 months, put it into a change bank that I have in my house. Anyway, they stole like 20-30 bucks in change.

Also, a few days ago, my mate left his doors on his car unlocked and when I went to work in the morning, his door was open and shit was flung about in the car, but nothing was stolen.

One other thing, I often keep my window unlocked because I open it alot and whatnot. Anyway, one day I got home from class and the shades to the window were all fucked up, my covers on my bed were messed up, there was a Gamecube controller sitting in the middle of my kitchen and my Wii had fallen into my trashcan beneath where it sits. Nothing was stolen, even though I had a checkbook sitting out along with a Wii, a 360, a PS2, Laptop. In my friends room was a PS3 and another Laptop. I was the only one in the house at the time and I thought there might have been someone else, maybe they heard me come in and hid, so I scoured the house with a butcher knife from the kitchen, checking ever closet and whatnot, but found nobody.

Rikatix on
    XBox Live: Realtruewarrior
    Wii: 8919.1676.0531.7255
    skull+funk-forumgames.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Blaket wrote: »
    The renters insurance was mentioned in the what will I desperatly need when I move out thread.

Still need to organise that.

Trying to tabulate everything in my apartment will be a bitch though.

(but most likely worth it)

Video tape. Lay out everything of value and take pictures. Easy to compare the video and what's left after a break in, and most insurance companies won't argue if you have photograph proof of what was lost.

DVDs and games, it's probably better to keep a catalog as you buy them than redoing a video tape every other week. Get a lockbox, keep the video and catalog in it (along with any other important documents), and bolt it to the floor if possible.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Thanks for the condolences, it sucks hearing about other people getting shit stolen too. Last night before I went to bed I realized more shit than I realized got stolen. A few months ago I got some of those plastic cases they sell at Target to hold DS games, each little case holds three and they're sold in packs of three. So anyways I have all my DS games in those. At first I thought they were all there but sitting looking at the little stack I realized they fucking selectively went through the pile! Turns out New SMB, MarioKart DS, Tetris DS, FF3, Castlevania: DoS, and a few other games were fucking stolen. They also stole the charger to my phone (oddly not the DS charger) so I had to plug it into my laptop to fucking charge it last night. Now I have to call up the local GameStops and see if anyone is trading in a mass of games all at once.

The first thing I did whent I realized what happened was wrote everything down and then took pictures of the missing stuff with my phone. Then I called the cops and my apartment's security. I filed a report and the officer gave me a sheet to list what was stolen with any serial numbers I might have for things. I have to go in in a little bit and talk to the apartment management who was gone for the day when I got home from work. I should have known something was up months ago. I got a welcome mat that said "Go Away" and it was stolen between the time I set it out in the afternoon and when I went to work the next morning. I've been looking into moving into a different apartment for a few weeks now, this just crystalizes that desire.

If you live on a ground floor apartment don't trust anybody. If you so much as see someone looking vaguely in the direction of your windows stab them in the heart. I'm calling now to see if I can get a pet tiger...that I'll keep a little hungry...when I'm not home.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bash wrote: »
    Thanks for the condolences, it sucks hearing about other people getting shit stolen too. Last night before I went to bed I realized more shit than I realized got stolen. A few months ago I got some of those plastic cases they sell at Target to hold DS games, each little case holds three and they're sold in packs of three. So anyways I have all my DS games in those. At first I thought they were all there but sitting looking at the little stack I realized they fucking selectively went through the pile! Turns out New SMB, MarioKart DS, Tetris DS, FF3, Castlevania: DoS, and a few other games were fucking stolen. They also stole the charger to my phone (oddly not the DS charger) so I had to plug it into my laptop to fucking charge it last night. Now I have to call up the local GameStops and see if anyone is trading in a mass of games all at once.

The first thing I did whent I realized what happened was wrote everything down and then took pictures of the missing stuff with my phone. Then I called the cops and my apartment's security. I filed a report and the officer gave me a sheet to list what was stolen with any serial numbers I might have for things. I have to go in in a little bit and talk to the apartment management who was gone for the day when I got home from work. I should have known something was up months ago. I got a welcome mat that said "Go Away" and it was stolen between the time I set it out in the afternoon and when I went to work the next morning. I've been looking into moving into a different apartment for a few weeks now, this just crystalizes that desire.

If you live on a ground floor apartment don't trust anybody. If you so much as see someone looking vaguely in the direction of your windows stab them in the heart. I'm calling now to see if I can get a pet tiger...that I'll keep a little hungry...when I'm not home.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3166010.stm

Only vaguely related, but the pet tiger bit reminded me of this. Still, very tempting to get a really mean pet after getting robbed.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It sucks that you lost so much stuff, but I guess it could have been worse? Maybe they thought you wouldn't notice your DS, but you would notice your laptop? I've always thought about whenever I move to any place with less than perfect security, I'm going to have a very small Closed Circuit security system, which I will rig through the ceiling and hide the box away somewhere. That or I'll just RFID tag all of my stuff. With explosives.

Thief: "Man so much phat loots... OH SHI-" *splode*

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Unfortunately it is illegal to booby trap your property in California. So what am I doing today? Booby trapping! I kid...

I talked to the apartment management about moving today. They're looking into it. Unfortunately the complex doesn't have any apartments with built-in pit falls or punji traps, I'll have to decorate myself apparently. I also found they stole my two old phones, a Nokia 6600 and a Motorola RAZR. Luckily I've got the IMEI numbers for both. I'm reminded of the Warren G song:
    They took my rings
    they took my Rolex
    I looked up at the brotha'
    and said,
    "Damn, what's next?"

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rikatix wrote: »
    I love these stories.

I live in a shady ass part of town that happens to be really close to my college. Me and my roomates have all had our cars broken into, broken glass and all. They stole one of my mates and my stereo, broke the dash open and all. I deliever pizza on the weekends and when people tip me in change, I put it into the middle console of my car and then, like once every 6 months, put it into a change bank that I have in my house. Anyway, they stole like 20-30 bucks in change.
    Bolded for amusement.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, I'm glad I read this thread. I'm usually very anal retentive about my things; I make sure to close all blinds and drapes when I'm not in the room so that people can't look in and see stuff to steal, and I almost never leave anything in my car. I've been getting a little lax lately, though, since I live in an OK neighborhood. This has motivated me to resume being extra careful with my things.

I got my CD player stolen out of my car about 4 years ago (in a different neighborhood); I accidentally left my passenger door unlocked ONCE and it got taken. Since I leave the doors locked every other time, it made me paranoid that maybe someone was going around every night checking the cars to see if they could find free stuff. :x

Ballman on
  • Options
    superslothsupersloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My DS phat was stolen out of my car last year, along with my deck, my radar detector, my basketball, and they fucked up my shifter and my locks in the process. that was a terrible day.

supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ballman wrote: »
    Since I leave the doors locked every other time, it made me paranoid that maybe someone was going around every night checking the cars to see if they could find free stuff. :x

That's actually very accurate.

ALWAYS lock your doors, to your vehicles, your house, everywhere. Seriously.

We've had a string of home invasions recently with people walking into strangers houses, you know since the front door is just unlocked, and they stroll in with masks, tie everyone up, and steal their shit.

And occasionally someone gets messed up in the process. Lock your shit.

Karrmer on
  • Options
    battledrillbattledrill Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    When you get something stolen, more importantly when you get broken into. You have feelings of hate, regret and abuse. You pretty much feel violated. I can tell you that of all the stuff thats been stolen, even though I had games, mp3 players and movies the worst that can happen is them taking your work. When I lived in the lbc they broke into my car and took my Jaz 1 GB disk. That thing would only fetch like 10 dollars on the crackhead streets, but it had about 140 hours worth of Graphic Design work. I was planning on converting it to prints that I could use for my portfolio. And although I had some other back ups at my parents house, I was heartbroken knowing some crackhead probably just got 5 bucks for it somewhere.

battledrill on

edited March 2007
    Heres a piece of advice. If you ever go on a vaction, have something stuck in the zipper of your bag, so you know if a hotel worker has opened your bag or not. I learned to that the hard way.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png