As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Netflix (and everything streaming) Thread: Unlimited timekilling for pennies a day

• Options
    SuneaterSuneater Registered User regular
    You see newspapers of NY Battle and also the Hulk fucking things up in his movie in the background.

3DS FC# 3480-2551-0694
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    So what does this universe now include?

Marvel movies (Ironman, Captain America, Thor, Avengers, GoG) along with Marvel Agents of Shield (Does that still suck btw?)?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    zllehs wrote: »
    So what does this universe now include?

Marvel movies (Ironman, Captain America, Thor, Avengers, GoG) along with Marvel Agents of Shield (Does that still suck btw?)?

Films: Iron Man, Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy, Dr. Strange, Avengers, Ant-man, Incredible Hulk, Spider-man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Inhumans.

Tv shows: Agent Carter, Agents of SHIELD, Daredevil, Luke Cage, AKA Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Defenders.

AoS is fantastic.

edit: AoS is getting a spin-off, we don't know what it is yet.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Thought I was living under a rock for a bit there because most of that list I knew nothing about but actually most of these are barely off the ground lol.

Daredevil, Luke Cage, AKA Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Defenders are all NETFLIX show as well apparently.

Hope you guys like the setting of Hells Kitchen from DD because most of these heros are based out of that same neighborhood in Manhattan... atleast they were back when I read their comics. Maybe they will spread them across the other old mobster neighborhoods in Manhattan and maybe even the outer boroughs but probably not.

As someone who frequents his fair share of Hells Kitchen dive bars I can say with confidence that they did a great job catching the atmosphere and what they are all about in the scene with The partner and secretary in the bar. Everybody knows everybody and for the most part they are decent people lol. The "NO TABS ALL CASH" signs are also very accurate lol.

• Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    Watched the first two episodes of DD. I like it but I don't know where it's getting the crazy 9.4 rating on IMDB from. Is the end of the season just out of this world amazing?

I think I liked Gotham and Arrow more 2 episodes in, and all 3 have kinda hamfisted acting.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    It gets much better with each episode.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Jibba wrote: »
    Watched the first two episodes of DD. I like it but I don't know where it's getting the crazy 9.4 rating on IMDB from. Is the end of the season just out of this world amazing?

I think I liked Gotham and Arrow more 2 episodes in, and all 3 have kinda hamfisted acting.

It escalates, it's basically a serialized movie in 13 parts. I've seen most of it and it never loses momentum, it builds. Everything is pro-tier.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    And comparing Daredevil to the shitshow that is Gotham is almost criminal. In my opinion. Tastes and all that.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    And comparing Daredevil to the shitshow that is Gotham is almost criminally insane. In my opinion. Tastes and all that.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Just signed on for a 30 day standard definition trial of Netflix. My Dad's watching a show called Marco Polo and the quality looks really good for what I assume is 480p. I hope we're not accidentally getting HD content because I can see that blowing through our monthly data limit with regular usage.

I have it running in the living room on my Wii U using the console's wifi and it's running smoothing, considering we're using Australian internet :P (although ours is cable internet, so that's probably why).

Anyway, I really only signed on to the service to give my Dad some entertainment for when he's either bored or feeling down due to his health. If we can keep the data usage to acceptable levels I might continue with the service on a monthly basis.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    They have a "low" and "medium" settings to lower data usage, though I don't know offhand what the actual data rates are or how the quality is affected. It's possible you're already on one of them, even.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Just signed on for a 30 day standard definition trial of Netflix. My Dad's watching a show called Marco Polo and the quality looks really good for what I assume is 480p. I hope we're not accidentally getting HD content because I can see that blowing through our monthly data limit with regular usage.

I have it running in the living room on my Wii U using the console's wifi and it's running smoothing, considering we're using Australian internet :P (although ours is cable internet, so that's probably why).

Anyway, I really only signed on to the service to give my Dad some entertainment for when he's either bored or feeling down due to his health. If we can keep the data usage to acceptable levels I might continue with the service on a monthly basis.

Marco Polo is gorgeous. Well, Joan Chen as Empress Chabi is gorgeous, and the show has wonderful cinematography. Based on his role as Kublai Khan, Benedict Wong is my main choice to play Aku, the Shape-Shifting Master of Darkness, if they ever re-make Samurai Jack.

You and your dad should look into some of the other Netflix shows. What do you guys like?

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    My Dad's always been a bit of a quiet person and who doesn't want to make a fuss about things, so it's kind of hard to get a sense of watch he likes even when you ask him directly.

I know he likes Jackie Chan and James Bond movies, as well as comedies from time to time. He also apparently liked the Back to the Future, Indiana Jones and Blues Brothers movies when I was suggesting what bluray movies I could get him.

Like I said, it's hard to get a grasp of his preferences, but so far he's enjoying the Marco Polo show.

Also, is there a way to check the Netflix data usage settings on either the Wii U or on an internet browser? I really want to make sure we're only doing standard definition.

Also I plan on watching Daredevil when I have time. With the current basic plan we can only watch Netflix on one screen, so no TV and computer at the same time unfortunately.

Oh and he really enjoys Top Gear (UK)

Update: OK I checked on the website and the playback setting was on Auto, but High was locked out so I don't need to worry about that anymore. Still, I decided to set it on medium since I think 0.7GB per hour is pretty acceptable.

Anyway my Dad only watched one episode of Marco Polo so far because it's currently the end of the day and he's wanted to go to bed. I've bookmarked the show so he can watch it more tomorrow or some other day.

I'm still trying to figure out the control options for the Wii U though. After the episode was over and my Dad went to bed, I tried to use the search option but there wasn't anyway to begin the search after typing in a show. Also I somehow got into the Kids section and was having a hard time trying to get back to the Netflix menu. Every time I selected Yes to go back it wouldn't do anything, but if I selected No it closed the suggestion. Very weird.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    My Dad's always been a bit of a quiet person and who doesn't want to make a fuss about things, so it's kind of hard to get a sense of watch he likes even when you ask him directly.

I know he likes Jackie Chan and James Bond movies, as well as comedies from time to time. He also apparently liked the Back to the Future, Indiana Jones and Blues Brothers movies when I was suggesting what bluray movies I could get him.

Like I said, it's hard to get a grasp of his preferences, but so far he's enjoying the Marco Polo show.

Also, is there a way to check the Netflix data usage settings on either the Wii U or on an internet browser? I really want to make sure we're only doing standard definition.

Also I plan on watching Daredevil when I have time. With the current basic plan we can only watch Netflix on one screen, so no TV and computer at the same time unfortunately.

Oh and he really enjoys Top Gear (UK)

Update: OK I checked on the website and the playback setting was on Auto, but High was locked out so I don't need to worry about that anymore. Still, I decided to set it on medium since I think 0.7GB per hour is pretty acceptable.

Anyway my Dad only watched one episode of Marco Polo so far because it's currently the end of the day and he's wanted to go to bed. I've bookmarked the show so he can watch it more tomorrow or some other day.

I'm still trying to figure out the control options for the Wii U though. After the episode was over and my Dad went to bed, I tried to use the search option but there wasn't anyway to begin the search after typing in a show. Also I somehow got into the Kids section and was having a hard time trying to get back to the Netflix menu. Every time I selected Yes to go back it wouldn't do anything, but if I selected No it closed the suggestion. Very weird.

Hmm, the usage settings questions should probably go to @Aphostile

• Options
    If you want to measure bandwidth usage you can use NetWorx on PC.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    So I was getting a weird possible bug during Daredevil. Every time a sign was displayed on screen I would get a CC bar in what I presume is the German translation of said sign. Closed captioning was off on both the TV and Netflix and it would only happen with signs. Has anybody else had an issue like that?

No, not me.

[Nein, ich nicht]

• Options

Marco Polo is gorgeous. Well, Joan Chen as Empress Chabi is gorgeous, and the show has wonderful cinematography. Based on his role as Kublai Khan, Benedict Wong is my main choice to play Aku, the Shape-Shifting Master of Darkness, if they ever re-make Samurai Jack.

You and your dad should look into some of the other Netflix shows. What do you guys like?

Damn. I need to watch that show.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    you can check broadcast settings on the website and im pretty sure they give an estimate as to how much data each setting would use but that number wouldnt be specific to you

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Wait we have different quality plans now? Last I knew I was just "streaming only" but there wasn't any other option to choose

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Yeah, you can go:

-one device with standard definition (cheapest)
    -two devices concurrently with 1080p (normal)
    -four devices concurrently with up to 4k if your device accepts it (13 bucks)

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I assume the 2 devices w/ 1080p is more than $7.99 for new customers?

'Cause my plans page shows the 1 device w/ SD as the same price as 2 devices w/ HD ($7.99). Which would be ... odd.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    yeah, I think existing customers got grandfathered in on price, it showed the same for me.

But now I've switched to the 4 devices because I plan on getting a nice new 4K tv soon, and the extra devices works well for another 5 bucks a month.

Basically, in a just world, I now have the equivalent of 5 nielsen boxes and Netflix should take what I say with more importance. So FFS put up Full House in the USA soon. And buy the past seasons of This Old House while you're at it too, these HGTV shows are so fake and scripted it's not about building but people desperate to be personalities.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Watched the first episode of Daredevil and so far it's not bad. The only annoying thing is the buddy lawyer. Which doesn't hold a candle to Arrow's ever repeated line, "something something THIS CITY" that you hear a million times per episode. Or Laurel constantly gasping at the fucking camera like she keeps forgetting how to breathe.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    buddy lawyer guy gets better

he definitely walked a very thin line between vaguely lovable goof and super annoying at first tho

• Options
    I got the data usage sorted out, it's just the search feature and "do you want to exit?" the Kids option which seem to be giving me trouble on the Wii U. With the search feature there doesn't appear to be continue, enter or search button. With the "do you want to exit" option from the Kids menu, tapping the Yes option doesn't register, but the No option does.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I love that everyone is undecided on Foggy off the start and he skirts an amazing line between annoying creep and genuine good guy, because that is totally Foggy in the comics, they nailed it.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Yeah, you can go:

-one device with standard definition (cheapest)
    -two devices concurrently with 1080p (normal)
    -four devices concurrently with up to 4k if your device accepts it (13 bucks)

I'm glad Netflix does that then cut off the content with premium sections.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Agreed. I have lost interest in Amazon Prime; the mix of Prime and pay has started to annoy me. Seems like whatever I search for is always more $.

Google is just all pay, but the Roku app is terrible.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Whelped. Marco Polo is off the list of things my dads can watch. My mother was getting too distressed during the blood and violence in the second episode and I don't think my dad was too impressed either.

I'll need to look for another drama or even comedy for him to watch. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is apparently getting good reviews. He can also watch an episode of Top Gear I guess.

EDIT: How bloody and violent is Daredevil exactly? I've been meaning to watch it, but if the violence is not too bad we might be able to watch it together, otherwise I'll watch it by myself.

By the way, when I talk about "too violent" I mean stuff like swords getting lodged into arms and blood spraying everywhere.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    It's hard to say without spoilering. It's not like, Game of Thrones constant bloodshed and gore.

But there is a fair bit of brutal violence, bones snapping, and some dismemberment.

There is also a
    little bit of torture.

It's not your standard superhero level of "fun time action time" violence.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Daredevil gets pretty bloody. There are isolated incidents of the stuff you're talking about, definitely.

Most of the fight scenes are done with fists or blunt objects, though. Limb removal is limited to specific scenes.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    If someone is uncomfortable with graphic violence I wouldn't recommend Daredevil.

Just about every page in the Daredevil thread has people going "hnnnnnnnnnnng!"

• Options
    Yeah it's just really hard to figure out what he likes and dislikes because he doesn't like to make a fuss, and his current condition can sometimes make it a bit hard for him to communicate exactly what he wants.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Your parents would probably like Turn. It's full of drama and intrigue, but not a huge amount of graphic violence.

• Options
    Australia's Netflix library is pretty limited so I don't think TURN: Washington's Spies is available just yet. It does look interesting though.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    having now watched all of Daredevil i can confirm its a bit too tryhard nolan batman beings, charlie cox is okay, the guy playing foggy got better later in the season and i just wish it was called FISK: the rise of the kingpin because vincent d'onofrio is best thing about it and the only real reason to bother watching it, he fucking owned it (and rosario dawson), every time he wasn't on screen i was wondering wtf am i still watching this bad show. fight scenes are good too, even that oldboy style one they tried. red suit is awful if you look at it too long and not in shadows. the black suit was better (but not by much)

also they really fucked up in making it feel apart of the MCU. if you didn't spot the newspaper clippings about the hulk and the battle of new york you would have no idea. they dont even bother to have stark tower/avengers tower in the skyline during one of the many scenes featuring the nyc skyline.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I got the data usage sorted out, it's just the search feature and "do you want to exit?" the Kids option which seem to be giving me trouble on the Wii U. With the search feature there doesn't appear to be continue, enter or search button. With the "do you want to exit" option from the Kids menu, tapping the Yes option doesn't register, but the No option does.

The wiiu netflix app seems to be touchy. Its currently not even working on mine. Removing and reinstalling worked last time though and maybe would for you?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    having now watched all of Daredevil i can confirm its a bit too tryhard nolan batman beings, charlie cox is okay, the guy playing foggy got better later in the season and i just wish it was called FISK: the rise of the kingpin because vincent d'onofrio is best thing about it and the only real reason to bother watching it, he fucking owned it (and rosario dawson), every time he wasn't on screen i was wondering wtf am i still watching this bad show. fight scenes are good too, even that oldboy style one they tried. red suit is awful if you look at it too long and not in shadows. the black suit was better (but not by much)

also they really fucked up in making it feel apart of the MCU. if you didn't spot the newspaper clippings about the hulk and the battle of new york you would have no idea. they dont even bother to have stark tower/avengers tower in the skyline during one of the many scenes featuring the nyc skyline.

It kind of bugged me how completely they forgot this was a world of heroes and aliens after ep1. Like that should have invaded the cultural language even if not so fare as day to day constant references. Like the cat video reference seemed like the perfect place for a universe acknowledgement.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The events from Avengers gets referenced verbally when they rent their office. Another one was talking about Iron Man and Mjolnir.

• Options
    Whelped. Marco Polo is off the list of things my dads can watch. My mother was getting too distressed during the blood and violence in the second episode and I don't think my dad was too impressed either.

I'll need to look for another drama or even comedy for him to watch. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is apparently getting good reviews. He can also watch an episode of Top Gear I guess.

EDIT: How bloody and violent is Daredevil exactly? I've been meaning to watch it, but if the violence is not too bad we might be able to watch it together, otherwise I'll watch it by myself.

By the way, when I talk about "too violent" I mean stuff like swords getting lodged into arms and blood spraying everywhere.

Not like Game of Thrones, enough your parents won't like it. It gets brutal.

This discussion has been closed.