As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(Legal) Graffiti, street art, urban murals appreciation thread (NSF56K)

FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARDinterior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
Not all graffiti is ugly tagging! Sometimes it's done with the permission of the property holder or the city, and can be fuckawesome art.

Sometimes it's political.

1593.jpg

1595.jpg

Often it's freaky!

1453.jpg

1588.jpg

Sometimes it's NSFW.

It could be an optical illusion!

boardwalk_mural.jpg

missionmural2500.jpg

paris-3d-chalk-beever.jpg

Sometimes it just adds some color to a drab space.

1424.jpg

1466.jpg

This thread is for sharing your favorite street art. Murals, paintings, chalk art are all fair game.

A friendly reminder to all: please to not be endorsing illegal activities such as vandalism.

And since we are not endorsing vandalism here, please do not turn this into a discussion thread on the merits of vandalism. Talking about the aesthetic qualities of a piece are fine. Talking about how it's totes unfair that the artist got six months of community service over it is not fine.

This also means no pithy Banksy quotes on the virtues of reappropriating public spaces as your own. I love me some Banksy but I would also prefer not to get my thread locked plz.

And please link boobs or other NSFW stuff. Do not inline.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Bee tee tubs, all of the above are from around San Francisco, except the blue wall with a hole in it. That's from Santa Cruz's beach boardwalk.

http://www.sfmuralarts.com/

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Sidney's+First+Nation+Seamen+Mural.jpg

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    sidewalk-art11.jpg

sidewalk-art62.jpg

sidewalk-art42.jpg

One thing I've always wanted to know; do these type of images look as good in person as they do in the pictures, or is it mostly a camera trick that provides the illusion?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    It will work if you are standing where the camera is. The perspective effect will break as you move away from that point.

Your brain will pretty much ignore that the parallax information is wrong, but it will seem slightly flat still.

Generally works better on camera, cause you mover you head about, and you eyes really focus all over the place and your brain makes an image out of all that data, plus what you saw when you walked up.

Your brain will play along better if you are intoxicated.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Yeah, exactly what redx said.

I've never seen the chalk drawings in person, but there's plenty of optical illusion & faux-3D stuff on walls around here, and yeah it never really fools you unless you're really trying to make it work. It can look pretty damn cool though.

The thing is that the human brain a three dimensional 'model' of a scene across multiple 'exposures' so to speak. When a (neurologically-normal, sober) human looks at a scene, the eyes engage in instinctive constant motion to look at different parts of the scene in comparison to other parts, using things like depth of focus and parallax and the overlap of different objects and the different input of each eye to build that three-dimensional model.

If you stand at exactly the sweet spot in front of one of those paintings, at just the right spot where the perspective is perfect, and wait, and let your eyes and brain relax, you can come very very close to perceiving depth.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it's all based on viewing the piece from particular angle; if you were to lie down on the ground or stand against the wall the painting is on, obviously the illusion of depth would quickly disappear.

but our perception of depth is essentially just our brains reconciling two 'flat' images presented by our eyes, so from a particular angle it's possible to fool us

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    By the way, I adore wildstyle

S1Oq6lR.jpg

(Oakland. I think by the late Dream TDK, but not sure.)

mc3dkPv.jpg

Moar Oakland. By Ras Terms and others.

A German artist called DAIM takes that style and applies shading and depth to it to give it a brain-melting 3D look

daim_mrf19200-01-01.jpg

daim_mrf20542.jpg

xXfoROA.jpg

Feral on

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Oh my fucking God the side of that house.

I have no idea what that is, but I love it.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    There are some pieces in Dublin that I really like. Not sure if Twitter/Instagram hotlink, will rehost on imgur later. Spoilered for huge.
    BORrOdYCUAAE-qS.jpg:large
    BROjpNgCIAA4D_7.jpg:large
    1171960_610853625626159_2107675296_a.jpg
    BQFqASoCQAAo5p9.jpg:large
    BOGZ90LCQAAGPbh.jpg:large

Tav on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Feral I really love the last pic of the OP.

I'm also big on stuff that makes use of the environment, like so
    Aj740.jpg

But sick murals are cool, too!
    hHzjU.jpg

And my very favorite pieces are subversive and anti-corporatist!
    (NSFW, bikini) http://i.imgur.com/AVIKH.jpg

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I remember when I was in college, this one wall had a bunch of marker tags on it. Mostly "Fuck Bush!" and "End the war!" stuff. Someone had prominently written in black marker "Toy Story 2 was OK"

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    I'm kinda a fan of alternative media in urban art. There is a lot of neat sculpture and mosaic work,in addition to all the amazing work with paint. Often it captures the same improvised interstitial? feel graffiti captures.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    redx wrote: »
    I'm kinda a fan of alternative media in urban art. There is a lot of neat sculpture and mosaic work,in addition to all the amazing work with paint. Often it captures the same improvised interstitial? feel graffiti captures.

What, like Banksy's "murdered phone booth" or a Space Invader paste-up?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    There's several around downtown Dallas that I really like, made by a couple of guys going by EyeCon, one of whom graduated from the same high school I did (though many years before).
    The Storm, on a parking garage just a few blocks away from the school (Booker T Washington)
    3667964987_4f3fe03d04.jpg
    Symphonic Mural in Dallas by Steve Hopson, on Flickr
    The text on the sides of the garage levels above the conductors head is an Emerson quote: "The artists must be sacrificed to their art. Like the bees, they must put their lives into the sting they give."
    Mass Transit:
    3888783332_ca743764e2.jpg
    Mural in Downtown Dallas by Firefighter with a camera, on Flickr

There's a bunch more around.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    My hometown, Richmond, VA, just did a two week mural project at the end of July. Lots of cool stuff came out of it:

g1827c2da.jpg

g9bb102e5.jpg

g398655b5.jpg

Big:
    g7340c158.jpg

This one has borderline boobies (the nips are covered) but it's great: http://img2u.info/ckgni/i/g5ba6e04f.jpg

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    @Chanus

does that second one come in a bigger resolution?

• Options
    I like the bookshelves on the utility box in Dublin.

The second Dublin picture... Is the man portrayed there a famous figure?

Chanus, those pandas are fucking pissed. Did somebody steal their cheese?

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    On the nearest Panda I see little arms sticking out of it's face on both sides of his chin.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    @Tav

I can't find one at the moment, though rvamag.com (RVA Magazine) supposedly has a guide to all of them but their site is down at the moment.

Might just go down to the flood wall and take a pic of it myself if I have to :P

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I find it interesting to discover seemingly out of the way canvases for this, while out for a walk;

gsksdaG.jpg
    2pry2vq.jpg

Lucid on
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »
    I like the bookshelves on the utility box in Dublin.

The second Dublin picture... Is the man portrayed there a famous figure?

It's supposed to be Joyce, but the angle of the picture isn't great.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Lucid wrote: »
    I find it interesting to discover seemingly out of the way canvases for this, while out for a walk;

gsksdaG.jpg
    2pry2vq.jpg

Those are kinda...really shit. And not done on permission. There seems to be a massive correlation between the two.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »

gsksdaG.jpg
    2pry2vq.jpg

Those are kinda...really shit. And not done on permission. There seems to be a massive correlation between the two.

I'm not really looking for any technical quality (or perhaps I'm less interested in what looks 'good'). I'm more interested in where people decide to make markings like these, and how it can alter the appearance of things in a way that defies beautification while still going somewhat beyond just a scribble. Like, with the pay phones, it almost unintentionally looks like captions between the two phones. The two blocks in the field were interesting to me because of the isolation and the expanse of the prairie sky with an insignificant rendering played out in the foreground.

Another aspect to scribble tagging I find interesting is in tracking certain taggers. The 'Wilfred' tag in the phones photo has appeared in various locations around the area with the payphones, and I believe extended beyond that range. Some of these taggers are indiscriminate in their choices of where and how to tag, some end up (maybe) unintentionally altering things in a way that can be open to interpretation.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Tagging isn't art though. It's just scribbles and vandalism.

Rhan9 on
  • Options

Well, I think there's significant debate about what art is, which I don't wish to interrogate right now. It's likely beyond the purview of this thread. Regardless, I'm not really concerned with what art is when I'm viewing something somebody has made, whatever that may be.

Let me ask you this; do you think that tagging can be something beyond -just- scribbles and vandalism, at least from your perspective? If so, how would you envision it?

• Options
    edited August 2013

Well, I think there's significant debate about what art is, which I don't wish to interrogate right now. It's likely beyond the purview of this thread. Regardless, I'm not really concerned with what art is when I'm viewing something somebody has made, whatever that may be.

Let me ask you this; do you think that tagging can be something beyond -just- scribbles and vandalism, at least from your perspective? If so, how would you envision it?

Done with permission, and exhibiting more artistic ability than being able to write. Having a message or content beyond just writing one's handle/nickname/whatever too.

At which point is crosses into being a mural, so unlikely. Please refer to the rest of the thread for murals, which are art. Taggers also tend to put their shit on other, more skilled graffiti.

Would you consider this art, or defacement?

"Ding Jinhao visited here" :
    Ding_Jinhao_graffiti.jpg

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Rhan9 wrote:
    Would you consider this art, or defacement?

As I said, I'm not really concerned with whether something is or is not 'art'. I'd be interested in understanding what makes it important to you, but I don't want to hijack the thread.

Rhan9 wrote:
    Having a message or content beyond just writing one's handle/nickname/whatever too.

Could a name be displayed in such a way so as to hold aesthetic value in your eyes? What if, as I mentioned in the photo I posted of tagging next to the payphones, you could see a tag in a way that perhaps interacts with the environment in a manner outside of the intent of the tagger, producing something else to consider visually. Do you think this is possible, from your perspective? Leaving aside whether or not you share my interpretation of the elements in the photo I posted.

Regarding the photo you posted; I think the different visual language located inside the body of the character is kind of interesting. In part because at first glance it's challenging to me to understand whether I feel it's a contrast to the hieroglyphs or if it oddly melds into the surrounding language. I suppose this is partly what I'm getting at in my other questions. I find that regardless of any moral or righteous considerations, and leaving aside whether something is supposedly art, it may be possible to see something else come from the act of tagging, something that could merit consideration in a different way, outside of the intent of those who left these writings(or symbols).

Lucid on
  • Options
    Considering that this is a legal street art thread, and tagging being decidedly illegal in nature, this conversation should be moved to PMs.

• Options
    Hey guys

Read the fucking OP as regards arguing about the merits of vandalism.

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    Hey guys

I don't believe I was discussing things as such, but the discussion has moved to PM.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Without going into the issue of legality, purely on an aesthetic level, I like tags a lot more than "street art". That phone booth photo is excellent.

I also like stickering and wheatpasting. Some cool photos from Berlin:
    Z7TasJP.jpg
    5fdTGqQ.jpg
    WwEKD1M.jpg
    qmNXMhQ.jpg

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    Hey guys

Hey you, read the fucking post before yours. There's nothing more for you to police.

• Options
    You know where tagging is legal?

5 Pointz, a factory building on Long Island that's been repurposed as a graffiti museum of sorts. The neighboring buildings used to be live-work spaces and art studios, until the city closed down the residential spaces due to some pretty serious code violations resulting in an injured tenant.

The factory space might be going away soon. The owners (who allowed open graffiti on the building) want to redevelop.

5pointz-12.jpg

5POINTZ_HOME_BANNER_5.jpg

5_POINTz_Freight_Elevator_by_sp1te.jpg

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    My neighborhood was, for a couple of decades, a mostly-abandoned and decaying warehouse district. In the last few years it's become a hotspot for artists of all kinds: metal and woodworking, architecture firms, brewers and wineries and a distillery, and artists in more traditional mediums.

Including street art. There's plenty of ugly tags around but they're mostly older. There are, however, some kickass murals. I snapped pictures of these two on the walk back to my house from a brewery.
    ZMIz3sz.jpg?3

5CZncxc.jpg?2

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    1175198_10151642462900669_1129964220_n.jpg

Somebody just put this up on my Facebook

I think it's Amoeba Records in SF but I'm not sure

• Options
    These are some of my favorite things

1496606_10200911555783185_624264926_n.jpg

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    988603_10151652730112532_102328238_n.jpg

Done by my sister's boyfriend on a coffee shops wall for the owner's daughter every year, based on her suggestions. This was done back in September.

• Options
    Your sister has a rad boyfriend.

• Options
    WISE FWOM YOH GWAVE

because i found some cute feminist graffiti that i want to share with yaaaalllll

tumblr_n0j3x7Lr401s2bqcio1_500.jpg

tumblr_n0j3x7Lr401s2bqcio2_500.jpg

tumblr_n0j3x7Lr401s2bqcio7_500.jpg

Artist: Starchild Stela, Montreal, Quebec

• Options
    oaklandas-4.jpg

Already a little homesick. Seattle has good art, but not nearly the critical mass of Oakland.