As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The X-Files] GOVERNMENT DENIES KNOWLEDGE

The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
edited August 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse

I was whistling a certain tune today while walking home from work and heard someone (who did not look that young) say, "Oh, hey, I recognize that song from somewhere!"

:/

The X-Files was a horror drama that launched in the early 90s; it was among the first and best televisions series' in it's genre, and one of the best produced shows of it's time period. It was one of my favorite shows growing-up, in no small part because my parents didn't like me watching it (because then I'd refuse to go to bed unless every single light was turned on, including and especially the porch lights). Body horror was a common element in shows, very unique to any television series up to then, and even by today's standards the X-Files got into some intense territory.

The main event was the interaction between the two main characters: FBI Agent Dana Scully (scientifically trained skeptic who thinks conspiracy theories and paranormal claims are all bullshit) and FBI Agent fox Mulder (who is a hardcore believer in every single fucking crazy claim that comes his way).

scully.png

Let's just get this out of the way: Dana Scully is my most favorite character ever featured on TV. Maybe of all time. She is one of the best female leads to have been written, having a full & believable personality, whose beliefs (for the best parts of the series. We'll get to this later) do not serve as a doormat for Male Protagonist. She is a professional through and through, she is not eye candy (well, she is, but that is not why she is on the show), Gillian Anderson gives her such a wonderful no-nonsense tone and demeanor, and her perspective (for the best parts of the series. We'll get to this later, like I said before) as a skeptic and police officer dealing with a dangerous and ugly, but ultimately terrestrial heap of shit every day, is given as much respect as Mulder's perspective.

mulder.png

Mulder is presented at the outset of the show as a burned-out agent dealing with a personal tragedy that has been put on paperwork duty as a result of being unable to perform his job in a professional manner. His sister has gone missing, and Mulder is convinced that she was abducted by aliens. He is very much the romantic ideal of the renegade conspiracy theorist hero up against The Man, 'unraveling' the intricate cover-up that he wants to believe is there mostly with bald assertions, half-assed evidence and leaps to extreme conclusions. He spends the end of many episodes being reeled back to Planet Reality by Scully.

The show is pure gold for about 3 seasons, with the writers more or less letting you draw the assumption that either Mulder is right (hahaha no) and there is an effort by corrupt officials to cover-up alien and other paranormal forces antagonizing humanity, or that Mulder's perspective is totally warped and we're being shown this warped reality, with occasional flickers of truth coming from Scully. This 3-way tension of belief between the viewer, Scully and Mulder just works on so many levels (and is even directly addressed in some episodes, the most notable being, "Bad Blood").

It's still charming, sort-of, after the X-Files movie and Season 4. But it's clear at this point that the writers have decided to abandon the ambiguity (Mulder is RIGHT! There are ALIENS! This show is now SCI FI HORROR!), and from then on it's just a fucking train wreck. If you can even make it through the last two very badly crafted seasons, the series finale is just dreadful. And, unfortunately, since most seasons end on a cliffhanger, it's not exactly easy to just pretend that everything is over after S3 or S4. :/

BUT! Most episodes - the good ones especially - are self-contained little stories, not integral to a larger arc. You can go watch them and be totally satisfied with the standalone experience!

I believe all seasons are currently available on Netflix.

With Love and Courage
The Ender on

• Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    I can remember catching it on TV the November of the year it premiered. Was hooked instantly. I'm sure there were a ton of other 12 year olds who were sure they were going to go into Parapsychology and work for the FBI solving strange cases. It had 5 great seasons, but the move to L.A. just killed the atmosphere of the show. I can remember it being exhilarating and excruciating when they would drop meager little hints about the overarching plot, but now when I think back on my favorite episodes, they were usually the "monster of the week" ones. Some of the paranoia and fears of technology feels incredibly dated, but it's still a solid show. I don't think I can think of a show that did atmosphere and mood as well.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the best episodes were the ones were Mulder and Scully were just being FBI agents investigating weird shit, not unraveling some vast conspiracy. The crossover with COPS in one of the later seasons was really good, too.

It kind of weirds me out now to realize this show was on the air right up to, what, a few months before Firefly?

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I can't remember when I started watching The X-Files. It wasn't for at least the first two seasons, but eventually I started watching it every Sunday night with my father. We always talked about the episode afterwards. Good memories of a good show.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I was too scared of the show to watch the really early seasons when they first aired. My kid self really did not like scary. Such a strange 180 to pull...

I got into it more and more as I got older though before losing interest during season 8.

I have ALMOST finished watching this series on Netflix. Seasons 8 and 9 are surprisingly decent as long as you avoid the main plot episodes and know to go in with lowered expectations.

Actually, I also think the one-off episodes during the whole series are what made the show. The first few seasons were definitely the best, though!

Neco on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Home.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    This show used to scare the crap out of me as a small child (I watched it in the original English before I came to the US). Could be worth going through again, though I have no idea which seasons/episodes were the must-watch ones.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Hey, this show! I've been watching it on and off for about a year now on Netflix and it's pretty great. (I wasn't allowed to watch it when it was on, 'cause it was "too scary". This gives you an idea of how old I am. :|)

My top 5 episodes (so far, I'm somewhere towards the end of season 4):

1) Die Hand Die Verletzt (S2E14) - One of the first episodes where the show goes for a more comedic tone, and it really works. Mulder and Scully are weirdly out of their depth, there's much more going on than meets the eye, and there's a spectacularly creepy beginning and ending.

2) Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose (S3E4) - An episode that deftly blends a dark plot (Someone is killing our psychics!) with comedic elements (the titular, cranky-old-man psychic).

3) Blood (S2E3) - I get the impression people don't really care for this one, but I think it's a scary, well-written story with a great ending that more episodes should have tried to emulate.

4) Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man (S4E7) - A deep dive into the show's backstory, from the villain's point of view.

5) Paper Hearts (S4E10) - A one-off episode that tells a great story questioning one of the show's tenets (Mulder's sister was abducted by aliens).

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    I mentioned "Bad Blood" in the OP for a reason; it's a must-watch.

"X-Cops" is fucking brilliant, so long as you've watched Cops before.

"Squeeze" and "Tooms", in my opinion, provided at least some of the inspiration for SA's Slenderman monster.

"Jose Chung's From Outer Space" is considered by most fans to be the best overall episode of the show.

"Anasazi" still gives me the creeps to this day. I can't believe that show was aired on television in the 90s; it's absolutely terrifying.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    FUCK THE FLUKE MONSTER

But also, the Fluke monster got me into wondering "just how weird is nature, like really?"

And then answer is "really fucking weird holy shit"

So thanks X-files

(i.e. one of the best shows ever maaaadeeeee)

• Options
    The cockroach episode.

I don't even know what it is called, but if you've seen it, you know what one I mean.

Fuck that episode.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Man that one wasn't really that bad

............I may be biased

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I hung an "I Want To Believe" poster in my cubie when I started working a couple years ago and the response from people was "So...you like UFOs?"

These people are all older than me, and this show was pretty big, so the problem is theirs right?

gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    gundam470 wrote: »
    I hung an "I Want To Believe" poster in my cubie when I started working a couple years ago and the response from people was "So...you like UFOs?"

These people are all older than me, and this show was pretty big, so the problem is theirs right?

You should've just replied, in a deadpan tone, "They took my sister,"

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    This was already brought up in the OP, but that last episode was SO BAD!

Like, that HAS to be one of the worst episodes of the entire series...

Again, though, skipping the "main plot" episodes of season 9, it actually has some good episodes in it. You know, ignoring the fact that Mulder is gone and Scully gets pretty much demoted to side character...

Neco on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    The cockroach episode.

I don't even know what it is called, but if you've seen it, you know what one I mean.

Fuck that episode.

War of the Coprophages? Everyone seems to talk that one up, but I don't remember it being that scary/messed up.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I still remember the first episode of X-Files I ever watched. I was like 10 years old, and it gave me nightmares for awhile.

The one where glowing green bugs cocoon people in the woods.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    The cockroach episode.

Fuck that episode.

War of the Coprophages? Everyone seems to talk that one up, but I don't remember it being that scary/messed up.

Just the opening sequence, where the kid may or may not be hallucinating.

*Shivers*

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    Tooms still freaks me out more than any other character/episodes ever.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    EDIT: Nevermind this. I had two characters confused with each other.

Neco on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    The x-files comedy episodes, what few there were, are incredibly good. It's impressive how they managed them without really altering the general tone of the show.

So anyway I watched every episode of the x-files over the space of a single summer about two years ago. Watching 4-8 episodes a day while playing strategy games and eating pizza. It was..unhealthy, but also pretty great. I agree with the general consensus that the first dip in quality comes with the confirmation that the alien stuff is definitely real, and then they make a series of increasingly poor decisions.
    Everything Scully's baby was awful. They eventually make them get together romantically which is awful. The completely out of the blue 'oh hey I guess this serial child killer did it' resolution to mulder's sister was terrible. I still don't even understand what happened, if she was abducted and killed by this guy why are there clones of her running around everywhere?

I didn't actually think the post-Mulder stuff was that bad, having somewhat lowered expectations at that point anyway. But my god do I regret watching the very end. The actual finale of the final season was just dreadful. Absolutely dreadful.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    It's up there with the worst of bad endings.

I blame the movie at the end of the day for the shift in tone. Gotta make big Hollywood Blockbeater movie, ergo gotta have ALIENS and a SPACESHIP and THE TUNDRA! Content of the movie was okay-ish I guess, but after that the audience was just handed a ridiculous cartoony world more appropriate for Buffy the Vampire Slayer than a police horror drama.

At least Skinner got a bigger role later on. Skinner was rad.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Wow, the whole "Mulder is crazy" angle went right over my head as I watched this series as a kid. Now I kind of want to rewatch the early seasons to see for myself.

But anyway, I used to always look forward to 9:00 pm on Friday nights. My mom, my sister and I would change into our pyjamas, wrap ourselves up in blankets, and get creeped the eff out for an hour before bed time. Those were good times.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    Wow, the whole "Mulder is crazy" angle went right over my head as I watched this series as a kid. Now I kind of want to rewatch the early seasons to see for myself.

But anyway, I used to always look forward to 9:00 pm on Friday nights. My mom, my sister and I would change into our pyjamas, wrap ourselves up in blankets, and get creeped the eff out for an hour before bed time. Those were good times.

The "Bad Blood" episode really highlights this theme; but if you go back and watch the Monster of the Week episodes, you can clearly see hints (in my opinion) that you're getting the story from a bad source (namely, Mulder's delusional mind). Look at the Fluke monster, for example: Skinner and Scully see some deranged person that needs to be arrested, prosecuted and questioned. Like, really? That monster-thing needs to be prosecuted, not just shot?

But it makes sense if it really is just a demented person, and the only person who sees the monster is Mulder.

Every time in the pre-pregnancy series that we are shown something paranormal, Scully rolls her eyes at Mulder's suggestion that it was aliens or ghosts or psychics or whatever, explains to him what really just happened and seems totally unphased given the gravity of what the viewer was just shown. The rest of the FBI office is equally unphased, including people we can be reasonably sure aren't in on Mulder's 'conspiracy'. Why? Because the only people that saw anything other than bad people doing bad things are us and Mulder, and the only reason we saw it is because we're viewing the world as framed by Mulder.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    The x-files comedy episodes, what few there were, are incredibly good. It's impressive how they managed them without really altering the general tone of the show.

My favorite of these is Mulder/Sculley actually head out to Area 51 and meet and Agent played by Michael McKean named Morris Fletcher.
    And somehow Mulder and Fletcher switch bodies. Hilarity ensues.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So this is probably common knowledge. But the whole "main plot" developed out of the need to write anderson out for a few episodes as she was pregnant. It went over so well in the ratings that they stuck with it. Some people credit x-files for starting the trend of tv dramas with continuing plot lines like sopranos.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Dana Scully is the most believably portrayed female FBI special agent in the history of television. Especially for that time period, she just totally fucking nailed the demeanor of cautious professionalism that a woman puts up in a traditional "boys club" occupation to ensure that she is pro actively taken seriously.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Home remains one of the most demented hours of TV out there

• Options
    Home remains one of the most demented hours of TV out there

But what a moment to share!
    It's wonderful, wonderful,
    Oh, so wonderful, my love.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    *shudder*

• Options
    The man in the vents episode really terrified me for weeks as a kid.

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    Oooh, I loved this show. The episodes that sticks out the most in my memory are the intentionally silly ones. The explosive twins episode (with Kathy Griffin), Vampire town (where Scully lusts for the bucktoothed sheriff) and the episode with the very attractive bug-scientist (named Bambi to Scully's dismay) where their roles are reversed and Scully is convinced that something fishy is going on and Mulder think it's probably nothing. Other episodes are mostly a blur where I'm not sure if I saw it on X-files or Stargate SG1. Time for a Netflix marathon!!!

• Options
    One of the best things about watching X-Files now is recognizing actors who are teens/kids in some monster of the week episodes but have since moved on to become stars of their own.

• Options
    WeisskaiserWeisskaiser TokyoRegistered User regular
    Ooooooh X Files thread.
    BUT! Most episodes - the good ones especially - are self-contained little stories, not integral to a larger arc. You can go watch them and be totally satisfied with the standalone experience!

Oh god I thought I was the only one who loved the monster of the week episodes. The "mythology" bullshit was a fucking trainwreck that they made up along the fly that kept contradicting itself and never made any sense, and the fanbase that makes up "theories" about it as if it would make sense if you think about it hard enough is horrid.

But I loved the show, enough to get it all on DVD. I ought to go rewatch it one of these days. All of it.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The episodes that had me staying awake when I was a kid (spoilers as I don't know titles):
    Man drowned in an aquarium
    Cigarettes with bugs in them
    Hallucinogenic spores and oh no they're still in the mushroom

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I don't mind the mythology episodes because they are so important to establishing Mulder's character, specifically regarding how his sister's disappearance has been sort of the prime mover for every subsequent decision he has made. And the importance of the characters really cannot be understated: if this was just a series of MotW episodes with two understated actors, the show would have run the risk of turning into a sci-fi procedural rather than a drama.

SammyF on
  • Options
    SammyF wrote: »
    I don't mind the mythology episodes because they are so important to establishing Mulder's character, specifically regarding how his sister's disappearance has been sort of the prime mover for every subsequent decision he has made. And the importance of the characters really cannot be understated: if this was just a series of MotW episodes with two understated actors, the show would have run the risk of turning into a sci-fi procedural rather than a drama.

Agreed.

And calling them a mess is something that's only really fair to say with perfect hindsight. At the time the mythology episodes were a huuuuge draw towards getting people to tune in every week. We wanted more mysteries to be unveiled and more questions to be answered. When looking at the whole picture after the fact we more easily notice the contradictions and perhaps silliness, but at the time it was awesome.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I remember really enjoying the one with the serial killer who claimed to know about Mulder's sister, that was sort of like a Hannibal Lecter relationship.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I still remember the first episode of X-Files I ever watched. I was like 10 years old, and it gave me nightmares for awhile.

The one where glowing green bugs cocoon people in the woods.

I don't remember why, but we read the screenplay for this episode in my high school English class (it was in a book with some other stuff).

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So here's a question.

Did anyone play the collectable card game?

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I started researching X-Files last week! And now, suddenly there is a thread for the show...

Who are you people and where did you hide the surveillance equipment in my home?!

Two nights ago I finally watched the 2008 X-Files movie, it was okay but had a weak ending. Rating: 2.5/5 shape changing alien bounty hunters.