As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Sixth Annual Drinking Tournament Part 1 (Official Thread!)

• SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    Soooo just curious, I know the schedule has yet to be posted but does anyone remember when the first challenge has usually started in past years?
    I seem to remember 6pm...

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    When This Happens

Thursday August 29th at 8:30PM.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • JenniLyneJenniLyne Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Very excited. Somewhat dismayed that I won't be able to bring the wizard's staff I crafted in art class back in high school. It has a quartz crystal with embedded blue LEDs and all.

The hell high school did you go to that has an actually interesting sounding art class?

I believe the proper answer is "Hogwarts".

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Serenity wrote: »
    Soooo just curious, I know the schedule has yet to be posted but does anyone remember when the first challenge has usually started in past years?

At 8:30 when the event begins iirc

• TonemanToneman Registered User regular
    So, I'm trying to prep. How much money should I be looking at bringing?

• LerlertHerbLerlertHerb MerdwerstRegistered User regular
    Toneman wrote: »

In the Prelim thread Cultural Geek Girl broke down some price speculation and arrived at a suggestion of $60-$160. The bottom end being enough just to meet the challenges and the top end being all top shelf drinks. There are also auctions for neat stuff too.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Plus you should factor in donations to child's play.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

All of it.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular

In the Prelim thread Cultural Geek Girl broke down some price speculation and arrived at a suggestion of $60-$160. The bottom end being enough just to meet the challenges and the top end being all top shelf drinks. There are also auctions for neat stuff too.

Here is the post from the prelim thread.

PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
    Serenity wrote: »
    At 8:30 when the event begins iirc

A dur da durrr :-P
    Should have read more thoroughly...

Cant' wait for the schedule and challenges to be released!

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • RDubbRDubb Registered User regular
    Finally managed to snag a pair of tickets (yay!). Thing is, they're for Slytherin, and I had this really badass Harry Potter/Gryffindor costume lined up for the event. Is team swapping allowed and, if so, can I make that sort of request here?

Not a huge deal but, given that my costume has a few different Gryffindor-specific accessories, it would be rather confusing to wear if I was team Slytherin.

• Bau5Bau5 PDXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    TAKEN :D

Person I had a +1 for isn't attending PAX anymore. If you want my +1, let me know!

SLYTHERIN DE FTW!

Bau5 on
    2015 PAX Prime: Badge(s) [ ] Transportation [ ] Hotel [ ] TWDT replacement [ ] Party Pants [ ]

TWDT Slytherin Death Eater - 2012
    TWDT Slytherin Death Eater - 2013
    TWDT Slytherin Death Eater - 2014
  • eskalatorkideskalatorkid Registered User regular
    I have a friend that helps manages REDLIGHT VINTAGE in Capitol Hill, she's going to set up a HARRY POTTER display for any last second ties/scarves/sweaters and accessories!! (new items and vintage alike)
    they'll be available all day thursday!!

CACAWWWW!!!!!

• Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    I know my updates continue to be super late this year due to RL conflicts but this year's batch of students can now feast their eyes upon the challenge list! As I've said before, these challenges will be familiar to some of you as they were all pulled from previous TWDTs to fit with this year's central theme. It was a lot of fun picking out the right challenges from each year since I got to revisit 5 years worth of TWDT memories. Heck, some of the info I needed is so old that I had to dig out an old HDD.

Are you ready to punish your liver?
    The Challenges

Challenge 1: The Two Wands (2008)

Drink two shots at once.

Challenge 2: House Duel (2009)

Pair up with an opponent from your opposing house and cast your best spell (shot)!

Challenge 3: Divination OWL (2010)

Pair off with a partner and secretly choose rum, tequila, or vodka. If your partner correctly guesses which you're thinking of they can take their choice of shot. If they guess incorrectly you choose which of the three they must drink. Reverse roles and repeat

Challenge 4: I Must Not Tell Lies (2011)

Pair off with a partner from the opposing house. Each of you order a beer or mixed drink. Engage in a game of I Never until both drinks have been consumed. Save any dirt you learn about your opponent for future blackmail.

Challenge 5: Harry Potter and Three Wizards, One Goblet (2012)

Choose 2 partners for this challenge. At least one of them must be from your opposing house. One person orders a mixed drink and the other 2 each order a shot. All 3 people drink from the mixed drink while adding a shot each time there is space for it. The drink is to be consumed as quickly as possible. Straws and light piano music not provided.

Wildcard Challenge: Come dressed in proper school attire sporting your house's colors.

How Do I Win?

There's really no winning, per se. This is pretty much a fun, drunken night out with fellow nerds. But for those of you who do manage to finish your scorecards, there will be a button celebrating the fact that you've triumphed over good or evil or whatever. Still not enough? That leads us to...

The Gathering of the Horcruxes (Year 2)

This year's bonus button continues the hunt for the 7 Horcruxes. Students who complete their scorecard will be given the opportunity to earn one of the three remaining Horcrux buttons. Students who plan on returning next year should seek out others who have earned Horcruxes to assemble a set of 7.

The Diadem: The diadem must be destroyed by consuming a Dragon's Breath spell (Cinnamon schnapps + 151 proof rum). This spell was first learned in 2008.
    The Boy Who Lived: Greet death like an old friend and accept your fate. Drink a double shot consisting of two different alcohols chosen by the bartender. This skill was first learned in 2009.
    The Snake: Summon your courage and then the Sword of Gryffindor (Apple schnapps + Vodka) to slay the snake. This magical item was first wielded in 2009.

As far as bar routes are concerned, expect them to look very similar to last year's (minus Purr). I still haven't decided as to whether or not I'm going to post them publicly or just email them to attendees via Eventbrite but keep checking back here for the latest TWDT6 details.

Just over a week until the magic happens!

• RDubbRDubb Registered User regular
    I have a friend that helps manages REDLIGHT VINTAGE in Capitol Hill, she's going to set up a HARRY POTTER display for any last second ties/scarves/sweaters and accessories!! (new items and vintage alike)
    they'll be available all day thursday!!

CACAWWWW!!!!!

Any idea on the going rate and availability of a Slytherin tie?

• Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    House elves!

If you have volunteered in year's past and have not been contacted by anyone yet, please check the OP and PM your Head of House! Thanks. :D

(The House Elf program recruits the soberest of the sober to help herd cats during the TWDT)

• skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    So many shots. :(

Challenge 4 is best challenge. :)

why are you smelling it?
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So many shots is right... I guess I'll be grabbing beers as chasers at the first few bars.

And since this is only my second TWDT, it's neat how you're doing throwbacks for people who have been there every year as well as those of us who missed out.

Challenge #5 (which was Challenge #4 last year) will be so much fun, I loved it last year, that was definitely when the night took a turn for the worse (which in reality was for the better lol).

TheAggroCraig on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Well, time to start stretching my liver.

• edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Anyone have any tips on the best way to pay our tabs? I believe I heard last year there are payment apps that were useful.

6YJGH2V.png
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Atlus! Don't make me come over to your part of town to beat you with a sock*! Enigmas and I are your ever-so-crazy House Elves for the Slytherins.

* Beatings will not occur...too busy playing the five games continuously. Plus--too lazy to take the hour-fifteen drive.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    Yeah, Atlus. I've already been contacted by stabn, sooooo...

3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • SaxicideSaxicide Registered User regular
    Ravenclaw DE Head Girl, reporting for duty!

Anyone have any tips on the best way to pay our tabs? I believe I heard last year there are payment apps that were useful.

Cash is the best way... When the bar has 100+ people all trying to get drinks at once, the last thing they want to do is keep tabs on people...
    Be nice and pay cash. :-)

qxd8or7ouox3.png
    I am loving the challenge list.

• namelessbanananamelessbanana Registered User regular
    As far as bar routes are concerned, expect them to look very similar to last year's (minus Purr).

Along with the Unicorn as well? I know they are having another pre-pax party there as well at the same time.

https://www.facebook.com/events/588743567837485

• YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    Is one allowed to challenge all three listed horcruxes at the same time?

• APacManAPacMan Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    QUIDDITCH-PONG_zpsc3cf2057.jpg

Next Year? ;-)

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

Twitter: @APacManSays
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    As far as bar routes are concerned, expect them to look very similar to last year's (minus Purr).

Along with the Unicorn as well? I know they are having another pre-pax party there as well at the same time.

Wow, yeah, that's gonna be rough if they're hosting parties at the same time we're there.

why are you smelling it?
  • AKReignAKReign Registered User regular
    For those of you lucky enough to join Slytherin - Order of the Phoenix, I wanted to say Welcome! I am Reign your HoH.
    Our Twitter feed is @SlytherinOotP and we have a Facebook Group Page
    We are busy working away at making things for you to bid on to make money for Childs Play, but if you have any ideas or wish to donate items please msg me here, on fb, or twitter.

See you all next week!

~Lurking through PAX since 2008~ [E]
    - Slytherin OotP: HoH - Twitter -Slytherin OotP
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Better not mark mark me down as House Elf for Raverclaw OotP. I'm taking the safer path.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    The drunker path you mean?

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Sure...

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • APacManAPacMan Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    The drunker path you mean?

Safer Path of sweet scorecard fulfillment.

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

Twitter: @APacManSays
  • PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon Infiltrator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I've been in contact with ALL of the bars on the route, including the Unicorn & they assure me that everything will be just fine. Unicorn has both upstairs & down, so we should be fine.

daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
    Pirate, Stormtrooper, Decepticon
    Yes, my middle name really is MEGATRON
    Former Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head of House
  • OptimusbryOptimusbry Event Designer Long Beach CARegistered User regular
    Oh god the goblet challenge is back, that was a disaster for me last year. worst tasting drink EVER

Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry

We have been cleared for Unicorn, all is good

Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry
    edited August 2013
    Yuritau wrote: »
    If youre a bad enough wizard, yes, though not recommended. As long as youre smart about it and stay within your means, we dont want any dementors running around

Optimusbry on
  • valdorvaldor Registered User regular
    Optimusbry wrote: »
    Yuritau wrote: »
    If youre a bad enough wizard, yes, though not recommended. As long as youre smart about it and stay within your means, we dont want any dementors running around

I am thinking I might want to take a whack at doing these. I am known for being able to handle my liquor and I am making sure to prep before hand :). I am pretty nervous about meeting everyone and hope to have a great time

So I know I probably missed it but where will each house be meeting?

3 time TWDT attendee. One year as House Head Boy and Now Head of House for Slytherin DE.
    4 Year Pax West Attendee
    The routes haven't been released yet.

This discussion has been closed.