As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Saints Row 4 Thread: Supervillain Sandbox Shenanigans! Get it August 20/23!

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    The way I see it, is if they want to keep going up then the only places to go are
    the hinted at time travel, intergalactic conquerors, which would ring pretty hollow after this game anyways, or literally fighting against the forces of hellwhich would have been an even better way to bring back Johnny.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I don't really see how this is more or less lifeless than any other open world game I've ever played

GTA IV is far from lifeless. And Red Dead Redemption as well.

• Options
    You must have been playing a far different GTA IV

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    Except for RDR.

RDR never felt very lively except when you were at the cattle ranch or in a saloon playing cards.

But damn if it wasn't pretty.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I've rescued almost every one, and the rescue missions have all been amazing.

I'm still pretty terrible at the hacking mini-game, but my wife thinks it is fun, so I am in luck.

I haven't settled on a outfit other than the Sim Hero suit in white and silver, worn with a purple heavy weight mask or silver and purple intergalactic helmet. It just looks like something a super-villain would wear.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I can't wait till I never play Pipe Dream to hack a computer again.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I can't wait till I never play Pipe Dream to hack a computer again.

But it's the only way to keep Pipe Dream alive!

Put Pipe Dream in everything

• Options
    I really love the naming conventions in this game
    Some of Kinzie's missions being classic rock songs with "white" in the title - "White Rabbit," "White Wedding," "A Whiter Shade of Pale" and "White Light/White Heat"

And then Matt Miller having a trio of missions called "The Pledge," "The Turn" and "The Prestige"

Reminds me of how in season two of NewsRadio, there was a string of episodes with the following titles:

- In Through the Out Door
    - The Song Remains the Same
    - Zoso
    - Houses of the Holy
    - Physical Graffiti
    - Led Zeppelin
    - Presence
    - Coda
    - Led Zeppelin II

Why in that order? Who knows. Why leave out Led Zeppelin III? Who knows

But I like it

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    PIPE DREAM FOREVER

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Just beat it a couple hours ago. That ending was fantastic, along with the post credits scene.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Sorry Australians

The loyalty mission you guys don't get is pretty great

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I'm still trying to figure out what part of that mission was censored. Because I never even saw the objectionable object, so I'm wondering what's going on.

• Options
    The part that is censored is
    The fact that you gain power-ups from smoking drugs.

That's why that mission has to not be in Australia.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I've noticed that a lot of Laura Bailey Boss's lines don't match up with the subtitles

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I'm having trouble gold-medalling the stomp mayhem challenges.

• Options
    upgrade your sprint with tornado and run around, ignore stomp entirely

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I did OK with most of the Pipe Dream things in No More Heroes 2, but I struggle with all but the most basic puzzles in SR4. I think it is the restriction with the right angle pieces. I feel like I should be able to rotate them, so when I get to a place where I need a certain one, part of my brain just says "rotate it" and then screams in frustration.

I really love Genki's MOM. It's a ton of fun throwing things in holes.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    it took me an extra try on some of the harder puzzles, and one or two I even had to pull a screenshot to figure out the answer

I'm not very good with time pressure though

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    I did the Keith David mission that somehow gives you more time with hacking. That helped a little, but there are still some that just make me stare.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    guys I just got back from out of town so I have only been able to play for two days but I am pretty damn happy with everything except the clothing again

for a while I decided that I was gonna be a guy with super powers running around in a Freckle Bitch's teeshirt, so actually it's ok

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Another thing about character side missions that is lame is that they're just the map events. So all they're doing is directing you to map events with filler dialogue that doesn't really make sense or have any importance. And if you've already done those events you just auto complete the quest

• Options
    So really the only unique quests in the game for characters is their loyalty mission.

• Options
    I don't mind that too much, Langly. Those things are still mostly fun things, and I enjoy the characters, so them talking about stuff is fine. Pretty much all of the activities in SR4 are more fun than activities in SR3. I do miss driving around with a temperamental tiger in the passenger suit.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    What I find helps with hacking sometimes is starting from the end and working backwards. If you know you need a particular piece or pair of pieces to finish (down-right right angle followed by a horizontal line for example) putting those in right away can help focus your options for the early placements in the puzzle.

• Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    SR4 also attaches some pretty neat rewards to a lot of those side quests, so you definitely get more out of them than you did in SR3. I like the fact that a lot of upgrades that you can get only come from doing the side stuff, including challenges. I can understand how that is shitty for someone who doesn't bother with that kind of thing ever, but I always do that kind of stuff, so it's just a bonus for me.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I like the side missions because they give me a nice pace to do the map events at

when I played SR3, I did every fucking thing on the map as soon as I could
    and that got a little overwhelming

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My character currently looks like the Hulk

I'm wondering if I could pull off an Iron Man next.

• Options
    My character currently looks like the Hulk

I'm wondering if I could pull off an Iron Man next.

Iron Man is actually surprisingly easy!

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    welp, just finished the game

they left themselves room to do so much stuff oh my goodness
    I hope they bring back Oleg and Nyteblade in a future DLC

Oleg for Kinzie and Nyteblade for Matt

also, the drawings at the end of the credit show that Viola was supposed to be in the game?

frankly I'd have rather had her than Asha

oh well, again, hope she somehow makes it into a DLC

also, how great would a Bill and Ted-esque content for this game would be? so great

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    LMAO Matts loyalty mission. I love that the Boss is also a nerd/geek.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    crossposting from the g&t thread because I need help

So my co-op partner and I ran into a problem with the grand finale. Every time we get to a certain point
    after you get the power armor and blow up some stuff, and then get the "escape" prompt and reunite with the ship
    my co-op partner and I go through our little animation and then I die instantly... and then we reload from checkpoint... and I die instantly again. We've restarted the game and reloaded the mission three times and it's kept happening and as far as we can figure will keep happening until we figure out how to fix it. He was hosting, by the way. Try to load from my save and have me host took us to some entirely other thing for some reason, so that angle won't work either. I can't find anywhere online how to fix this, possibly because it's happening in the last mission. Any suggestions?

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Just read this in G&T and want to let everyone here know: the latest patch has broken the guns and has a chance of corrupting your save. So for the time being don't save your game.

Here is the quote from IdolNinja:
    IdolNinja wrote: »
    The latest Steam patch severely breaks weapons. In the past Saints Row games, this would permanently corrupt a save if later removed/fixed. DO NOT SAVE YOUR GAME UNTIL FIXED.

JMan711 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zinyak ruined Biz Markie

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    JMan711 wrote: »
    Just read this in G&T and want to let everyone here know: the latest patch has broken the guns and has a chance of corrupting your save. So for the time being don't save your game.

Here is the quote from IdolNinja:
    IdolNinja wrote: »
    The latest Steam patch severely breaks weapons. In the past Saints Row games, this would permanently corrupt a save if later removed/fixed. DO NOT SAVE YOUR GAME UNTIL FIXED.

Is there a patch I should avoid for ps3?

Man, do I love the rescue missions and loyalty missions. Every single one of them was great.

• Options
    also Pierce's super outfit is the shit

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm trying to figure out what all the super outfits are references to
    Pierce's is pretty clearly Raiden

Keith's is Lando Calrissian

Matt's is Nyteblade, right?

I feel like there's some other Mortal Kombat ones in there that I'm not picking up on

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Pierce
    I'm pretty sure he is cosplaying as Kung Lao

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Ben King is also pretty obvious

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Oh I knew that one I just forgot about him

6F32U1X.png