As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Industry] Everything is awesome and everyone is doomed.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm sorry, but that is a pretty dismal holiday lineup for the Wii U. The 3DS is looking pretty strong though, albeit they could just list "Pokemon X/Y" as their sole holiday 3DS title and still be strong.

Not sure what the hell Nintendo was thinking with the Wii U. It's fine that they got burned as per usual on third party, but they were utterly unprepared with their first party lineup. Imagine if they launched THIS November, with Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, DKC, the pre-existing launch titles, AND a Smash Bros. announcement for 2014. Yes, the One and PS4 make things dicier, but I have a feeling it still would have sold better by launching later.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I never thought for a moment that Animal Crossing would ever remotely match the insanity it did in Japan.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    I thought that Minecraft was a huge hit but had found it's market by now.

I was wrong. It just keeps getting bigger.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Jesus, New Super Mario Bros U hasn't even cracked the 1M sold barrier, and that's physical AND digital sales. And it's been reported in the past that its the best selling WiiU game so far by a massive margin.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular

I just introduced a friend to it (she saw the gift cards at wal-mart) and now she wants to buy the double card pack (2 copies of the games, with $10 donated to a building houses charity).

Before that she never heard of it.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    How are there still people who haven't bought minecraft? That's ridiculous, I know it's end of gen and all, but sheesh.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Those weird people who don't buy games online.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I haven't bought Minecraft. I don't feel any drive to get it. I mean, I do but it's way low on my priority list of games to play.

• Options
    I've never even seen the game before, only heard of it. My daughter bugs me to buy it on XBox all the time but I tell her no just to be a Mean Dad™

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Major Nelson tweeted the 360 sold 107,000 last month. Not great.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Just wait for the WiiU numbers.

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Vita < 17k < Wii U < DS < 32k < Wii < 36k

Uh-oh.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I never personally understood the hoopla of sales very late into a generation. My logic is that anybody who wants the system already has it. How much more can you possibly sell when you're already in most homes to begin with?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Worst month sales for WiiU confirmed. 35K was the previous low...

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but that is a pretty dismal holiday lineup for the Wii U. The 3DS is looking pretty strong though, albeit they could just list "Pokemon X/Y" as their sole holiday 3DS title and still be strong.

Not sure what the hell Nintendo was thinking with the Wii U. It's fine that they got burned as per usual on third party, but they were utterly unprepared with their first party lineup. Imagine if they launched THIS November, with Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, DKC, the pre-existing launch titles, AND a Smash Bros. announcement for 2014. Yes, the One and PS4 make things dicier, but I have a feeling it still would have sold better by launching later.

Wasn't it Miyamoto who said that they were unprepared for the amount of work involved in HD games? Not that it excuses the lineup being this bad, but they were pretty unaware of what they were getting into.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I never personally understood the hoopla of sales very late into a generation. My logic is that anybody who wants the system already has it. How much more can you possibly sell when you're already in most homes to begin with?

Well the whole reason that companies are willing to lose money at the start of the generation is so they can make profits at the end. And baring the DS in Japan I don't think any console has ever got close to being in "most" homes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

I see little kids in minecraft tee shirts ALL THE TIME.

like every time I go out in public.

I love it

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    smt4 65k~70k

Just thought some might be interested.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    ALright I've got some games to give away

Burnout Paradise
    Medal of Honor
    Mirror's Edge
    Battlefield 3

First come, first serve. PM me what you want.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    ALright I've got some games to give away

Burnout Paradise
    Medal of Honor
    Mirror's Edge
    Battlefield 3

First come, first serve. PM me what you want.

That's good to know, but wrong thread...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

I love it

Minecraft is THE success story from this gen. It's absolutely nuts when you really think about it.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

I love it

Minecraft is THE success story from this gen. It's absolutely nuts when you really think about it.

How about LoL and Dota? Also unexpected mega hits.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013

I love it

Not the same thing. Minecraft came out of nowhere, from a single dude writing a poorly coded Java game with shitty graphics in a genre that no-one even knew existed, and made that dude a multimillionaire and a household name in gaming.

Edit: It's like a gaming fairy tale. All it needs is a scene where Gaben appears to Notch in a fairy godmother outfit, telling him that if he builds it, they will come.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

I love it

Not the same thing. Minecraft came out of nowhere, from a single dude writing a poorly coded Java game with shitty graphics in a genre that no-one even knew existed, and made that dude a multimillionaire and a household name in gaming.

Plus from an impact standpoint, Minecraft pretty much pioneered the indie boom. That alone speaks to its popularity and success.

LoL and Dota are probably more successful for growing the popularity of esports. We also have them in part to thank for pushing the F2P business model which is kind of a wash overall.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Taranis wrote: »

I love it

Plus from an impact standpoint, Minecraft pretty much pioneered the indie boom. That alone speaks to its popularity and success.

LoL and Dota are probably more successful for growing the popularity of esports. We also have them in part to thank for pushing the F2P business model which is kind of a wash overall.

I feel like the 'indie boom' started with World of Goo. That seemed to be the first one to make people sit up and go "wait, wow, this thing was made by a tiny studio and has been really successful". Before that it seemed like a ludicrous task, but 2D Boy seemed to be the first ones to show that path can work to such a degree.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Minecraft escalated the indie boom, but I'd say Braid, Castle Crashers, and World of Goo were bigger pioneers.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Hell, <35K was better than I was anticipating.

How sad is that?

• Options
    Braid and World of Goo came first, but Minecraft beat out Castle Crashers for release dates. Ultimately, I feel like Notch and Minecraft are the best example of an independant who made good due to his constant online presence and seeming accessibility. What gets me is all the shit people give MS over independents, but they put out a lot of those great games through XBLA or made it easy for people to get their games out via XBLIG.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I should buy a Vita and keep it near my WiiU. Maybe they could become friends.

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    Braid and World of Goo came first, but Minecraft beat out Castle Crashers for release dates. Ultimately, I feel like Notch and Minecraft are the best example of an independant who made good due to his constant online presence and seeming accessibility. What gets me is all the shit people give MS over independents, but they put out a lot of those great games through XBLA or made it easy for people to get their games out via XBLIG.

They started really well, but they've been beaten in terms of accessibility to indies by the likes of Sony and Steam, who have muuuuch lower barriers to entry. I feel that some of it is unwarranted, but there is also a lot of valid criticism for the way they run XBLA and XBLIG. I'm actually hoping that a lot of it gets addressed on the Xbox One (not categorising things as Arcade and Indie games, for one, which creates the idea that some are 'lesser' games than others), and it sounds like they are taking steps to do that. It just needs people shouting about it to keep them going in the right direction.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I think MS's biggest problem is that they demand exclusivity, at least for some time. That worked well enough when it seemed Summer of Arcade was just about the best money in indie games but now that Steam seems like the main platform, they just aren't going to get the best games.

[edit]

Well that and the patching policy which I guess is changing. Have we heard anything about alpha funding for the consoles. It's a huge deal for indie devs to get money as they develop instead of after.

Also, when did Minecraft start taking money? In my mind Mount and Blade did the alpha funding thing first but that might simply be because it's the first I bought into.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, and it's a sign of the times that they've mentioned this year's Summer of Arcade maybe... twice. I can recall once at E3, and I'm just assuming that Major Nelson's mentioned it over the dinner table for the other. Time was you'd look over the list and start making plans, but last year was hardly spectacular and this year they've been silent about Brothers (despite its critical success) and I don't think I've even seen a review for Charlie Murder yet.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    it seems MS are (maybe)serious about their Xbox TV service and may have added another show to their pretty sparse roster. the Financial Times is reporting that they're funding a remake of classic British sci-fi series Blakes 7.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23712001

so add that to Halo and possibly the Quantum Break live action sections depending on how that's going to work. their flagship franchise, a new franchise and a classic scif-fi show they probably got cheap. its a good start if they turn out well.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    it seems MS are (maybe)serious about their Xbox TV service and may have added another show to their pretty sparse roster. the Financial Times is reporting that they're funding a remake of classic British sci-fi series Blakes 7.

so add that to Halo and possibly the Quantum Break live action sections depending on how that's going to work. their flagship franchise, a new franchise and a classic scif-fi show they probably got cheap. its a good start if they turn out well.

Doesn't everybody die in that?

• Options
    C2B wrote: »

Doesn't everybody die in that?

i know its old, but really? you don't think there might be a few people even on here who didn't know that?
    yes, the show is infamous for its ending where each of the main characters die in a bloodbath shoot out.

• Options

Wait...

MS is planning to make TV shows that are exclusive to the XBO and not to XBLG subs or something?

Like I can't watch the Halo show on my (theoretical) Surface tablet?

That seems monumentally stupid.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    to be honest i'm not entirely sure how it'll work. right now it does seem to be an Xbone service, but with Xbox seeping into aspects of Windows 8* i wouldn't be surprised if it became more widely available at somepoint.

*there's an Xbox/games section in Win8, also Xbox music which replaced the Zune service. i doubt it'll be long before they rebrand the video service too. just checked, and yeah the video section if already branded Xbox video.

EDIT: of course all of these are tied to the same account as your Live account(or should be anyway, why wouldn't you use the same account?), so it'd certainly be easy to offer those services to Gold subscribers on multiple devices for free, and charge others only for the content that they use.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I should buy a Vita and keep it near my WiiU. Maybe they could become friends.

At Game Console High School's cafeteria, Vita and WiiU have to sit at the nerd table. School quarterback, XBox 360, keeps trying to pick on them, but their cool kid big brothers, PS2 and Wii, make him go away.

kyrcl.png
  • Options

So Jennifer Hepler left Bioware apparently, to go write a book or some such.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Vita < 17k < Wii U < DS < 32k < Wii < 36k

Uh-oh.

Yeeowch. That's some shit right there. And it looks like the Wii is fading fast as a temporary fallback.

Vita... man, poor Vita. That's the worst month it's had, right?

Anyone hear how the PS3 did? I'm curious if the 360's drop was a result of the One boner.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
This discussion has been closed.