Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Dying Light] Mirror's Edge / Dead Island : Will It Blend? 10+ minutes of gameplay

12223242527

Posts

  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    One simple addition would work for me. Horizontal wall running. Give me that and a new map and I'd be in free-running, zombie slaying heaven.

    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    Big Classy
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    So I played the demo but it was unplayable.

    Looked great but frame rate was unusable. I've got a i7, 765M laptop with 8GB system RAM running Win 10. Is that too low?

    I'll check again tonight, wondering if it was using the onboard graphics by mistake. Had that problem with Dishonored at first.

    MichaelLC on
    Mugsley wrote:
    So now I need to get it trimmed and adjusted, and all in.

    Steam:MichaelLC
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I wonder if they updated the demo for the first major patch that hit. The game was unplayble on my desktop (i5, GTX770, 8GB RAM) at release, but their first major patch fixed a majority of the issues I had with it.

  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Well the crossbows are pretty awesome. I took a side jaunt into the expansion area to vary things up a bit and unlocked the crossbow. The time to ready a new bolt is similar to the time to reload a side by side shotgun so it's fairly quick but not something you want to do with multiple melee attackers. The range is much, much further than the crappy bow you can buy from stores early on. I haven't had to deal with any drop off at the distances I've used it at so far. The special bolts seem to be less impressive than the special arrows but it's definitely a great ranged option.

    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

    Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Bows weren't in the base game at release right? I put in dozens of hours into the game and damn near finished it in pc so seeing the bow already on the ps4 version is weird.

  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Correct. At release our ranged options were:

    *Thrown consumables like throwing stars and molotovs
    *Throwing our melee weapon
    *firearms

    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Pro Tip: Before doing the first driving mission in the expansion, which involves going to a certain plant to turn on a certain utility, please please please take the time first to learn a bit about the car. Learn how to drive it, repair it, and refuel it. I'd even suggest that it's mandatory to make sure that it's fully fueled before starting the quest.

    That car's status is linked to your inventory and is saved with every checkpoint, so if you start the first driving quest too early and fail it a couple of times you will find yourself in a quest failure loop with a damaged car that is out of gas that can't be repaired or re-fueled. I was forced to re-start the expansion to escape this loop, a quest bug which must have been spotted in expansion beta testing and I very much blame the Devs for not fixing it.

  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    So I played the demo but it was unplayable.

    Looked great but frame rate was unusable. I've got a i7, 765M laptop with 8GB system RAM running Win 10. Is that too low?

    I'll check again tonight, wondering if it was using the onboard graphics by mistake. Had that problem with Dishonored at first.

    To reply to myself, the full game is much better than the demo. Certainly looks like they never updated the demo.

    Still not great on this laptop, but may be playable if I lower the res.

    Mugsley wrote:
    So now I need to get it trimmed and adjusted, and all in.

    Steam:MichaelLC
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Pro Tip: Before doing the first driving mission in the expansion, which involves going to a certain plant to turn on a certain utility, please please please take the time first to learn a bit about the car. Learn how to drive it, repair it, and refuel it. I'd even suggest that it's mandatory to make sure that it's fully fueled before starting the quest.

    That car's status is linked to your inventory and is saved with every checkpoint, so if you start the first driving quest too early and fail it a couple of times you will find yourself in a quest failure loop with a damaged car that is out of gas that can't be repaired or re-fueled. I was forced to re-start the expansion to escape this loop, a quest bug which must have been spotted in expansion beta testing and I very much blame the Devs for not fixing it.
    Same thing happens with ammo and supplies, they don't reset on respawn.

  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    So I'm of course just getting into it.

    Goddamn, I actually panicked when I heard a fast viral behind me while climbing into a safe zone.

    Also loved that the QR code worked in the posters.

    Mugsley wrote:
    So now I need to get it trimmed and adjusted, and all in.

    Steam:MichaelLC
    urahonky
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    If you have a smart phone, look up the Dying Light Companion app. Its fantastic for getting weapons early.

  • BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    After not having played Dying Light for over a year, dropping into my clearstate save, I'm kinda disoriented. How do I access The Following? And might it be better to just start anew?

    P.S. A shame that there doesn't seem to be an option to jump into the DLC directly, with a premade character, and a tutorial to catch me up again. Like what the Witcher 3 did with its expansion. That'd have been massively helpful.

    P.P.S. Google helped. http://www.gamersheroes.com/game-guides/how-to-access-dying-light-the-following-dlc/

    P.P.P.S. So yeah, it has all those things. Phew!

    BranniganSepp on
  • BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Jesus. I forgot how bloody good Dying Light is. In many ways, the core gameplay feels like Fallout or Elder Scrolls, and many aspects of it are way better playing and more impressive than that. The Following especially, with its wide-open landscapes, getting to points of interest at the horizon, scavening goods for trade and crafting - survival. Chopping off limbs of ghulish enemies. It feels pretty much like Fallout, only way better playing than that. And if the buggy driving feels good, it's pretty much the game I wish Fallout was - namely a Mad Max open world RPG.

    Also - if this thing really has as much content as the core game, that's like a insanely good deal at under 20 bucks. Polish developers are either superior human beinngs, or really shitty at being short-sighted businessmen. They could easily have made this a stand-alone full price game, if they'd wanted to. Either way, I love the Polish game development scene. What they deliver, regardless of price, is insanely ambitious, well executed, and quite frankly, the kind of experiences I wish we'd get more of. Big games. Taking risks. Going beyond the tried and true.

    The Following really puts into perspective that 60 buck (it's actually 80 bucks around my parts) pricetag on Far Cry Primal, because that doesn't seem like much of a different value proposition in comparison to Far Cry 4 than this is in comparison to Dying Light.

    Having played only 10 minutes of this thus far, I just know I'm going to love every damn minute of it. Go get.

    BranniganSepp on
    urahonkyMichaelLCBig Classy
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    You think their private sector is bad at money, you should see their military; pouring billions into submarine recovery.
    They just keep putting those screen doors on.

    Mugsley wrote:
    So now I need to get it trimmed and adjusted, and all in.

    Steam:MichaelLC
  • BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Some annoyances I've come across...
    • Way too much lockpicking. Like waaay too much. To the point that I just start ignoring the scavening aspect of the game.
    • The bow and crossbow suck. Way too much drop on the bow, the crossbow is badly sighted, generally crazy slow arrow velocity. No satisfying oomph on impact. What should be the most fun weapons in the game feel like wielding a limp dick at a reverse gangbang. Disappointment all around.

    BranniganSepp on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    If you have a smart phone, look up the Dying Light Companion app. Its fantastic for getting weapons early.

    Thanks a lot. :P

    My phone has now run more missions than the U.N. I've also stumbled into 'dockets' which I proceeded to print a list of from the Steam forum.

    Getting into level 8, it's already starting to get easier, though a group of fast ones will still wipe me out. Found a neat safe house that's on top of a building so stayed out all night jumping, building up double parkour points.

    Mugsley wrote:
    So now I need to get it trimmed and adjusted, and all in.

    Steam:MichaelLC
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Big Classy wrote: »
    If you have a smart phone, look up the Dying Light Companion app. Its fantastic for getting weapons early.

    Thanks a lot. :P

    My phone has now run more missions than the U.N. I've also stumbled into 'dockets' which I proceeded to print a list of from the Steam forum.

    Getting into level 8, it's already starting to get easier, though a group of fast ones will still wipe me out. Found a neat safe house that's on top of a building so stayed out all night jumping, building up double parkour points.

    The virals are always annoying even after they stop being a serious threat. Especially annoying when you have multiple ones with the same head model scrambling after you and could swear you already killed that one . . .

    They get easier to deal with when you get the stomp finisher since you can often just get to high ground and wait for them to try climbing before stomping them but they still can do a fair amount of damage if they sneak up on you.

    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

    Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    SirEtchwarts
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Best way to deal with those guys is to jump on top of a van and then stomp them to death as they climb after you.

  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Agreed about the Lockpicking, too. They copied the tedious SKYRIM/FALLOUT model of "fiddle around with the paperclip until you find the tiny sweet spot with no input to guide you when you are close to it". Easily the worst part of the game.

    General_Armchair
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Agreed about the Lockpicking, too. They copied the tedious SKYRIM/FALLOUT model of "fiddle around with the paperclip until you find the tiny sweet spot with no input to guide you when you are close to it". Easily the worst part of the game.

    There is!
    Well, if you're using an Xbox controller anyway, it will vibrate when you're wrong. You move the pick in the direction (L/R) of the vibration, stronger vibration means you're farther away.

    XBL: F4ll0ut Wolfoid | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Great Power Great CostumesRegistered User regular
    I've had some fun with the lockpicking

    Like the time that my friend was picking a lock in the middle of an infested courtyard while I covered him with my bow, that was cool

    jG0D9Pb.jpg
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 4527-8947-6010
    PSN Username: SirEtchwarts
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I've had some fun with the lockpicking

    Like the time that my friend was picking a lock in the middle of an infested courtyard while I covered him with my bow, that was cool

    The lockpicking often builds tension because the hardest locks guarding the best loot often is in areas where zombies can get to you. I'm less enamored with it on rooftop chests where you're almost always safe anyway.

    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

    Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Nah the biggest complaint should be the medkit crafting. I swear you used to be able to get 5out of a single craft at launch. It's so tedious sitting In a menu hitting X over and over again.

  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Nah the biggest complaint should be the medkit crafting. I swear you used to be able to get 5out of a single craft at launch. It's so tedious sitting In a menu hitting X over and over again.

    You find a ton of them from scavenging and opening the easy locks on those yellow ambulance vans. I'll craft a few if I'm getting "low" but "low" meant like around 10 after the early game.

    The biggest complain should be all the troll locations bomber zombies are. I mean, seriously, how did a zombie that can't climb end up on a bridge tower?!?!

    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

    Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    General_Armchair
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Spent most of my time maxing out Survivor and Combat trees, still have a level left on Agility. Liking the Legend levels but unless you are playing on Nightmare with friends good luck ever getting that high. I can see why people are using dupe bugs to max that out.

    Liking the driving, really like the crossbow, hits harder than the bow and has quite some range on it too.

    I do find camouflage makes the game criminally easy, goop up and wander around, use the crossbow for sniping out those annoying exploders and toads.
    Snap the necks of the virals and waltz past the demolishers. The tougher volatiles seem to see through it though, not that it matters with my 8 round shot gun that hits for 2550 a shot. Haven't even put anything into firearms for legend levels either.

  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Spent most of my time maxing out Survivor and Combat trees, still have a level left on Agility. Liking the Legend levels but unless you are playing on Nightmare with friends good luck ever getting that high. I can see why people are using dupe bugs to max that out.

    Liking the driving, really like the crossbow, hits harder than the bow and has quite some range on it too.

    I do find camouflage makes the game criminally easy, goop up and wander around, use the crossbow for sniping out those annoying exploders and toads.
    Snap the necks of the virals and waltz past the demolishers. The tougher volatiles seem to see through it though, not that it matters with my 8 round shot gun that hits for 2550 a shot. Haven't even put anything into firearms for legend levels either.

    Camouflage is an odd duck. It clearly breaks some events and encounters yet adds another kind of tension in terms of not wanting to have it break while you're doing something. The riskier the action you take using it the worse the result when it breaks and those toads really can hurt when they spot you. But even when you're able to keep it going the way you start to think of how to keep a camouflage and kill chain going was still fun like a mix of Far Cry's chain takedowns and Hitman's hiding in plain sight via disguises.

    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

    Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    yea the level 25 survival camo lasts a fair bit. Fire arms break it immediately, but crossbow/bow/thrown items don't. It made the level where you set the bombs in the building really trivial, as well most of the contaminated zones.

    The freaks of nature in the expansion are pretty neat.. though only have seen the two.

  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    yea the level 25 survival camo lasts a fair bit. Fire arms break it immediately, but crossbow/bow/thrown items don't. It made the level where you set the bombs in the building really trivial, as well most of the contaminated zones.

    The freaks of nature in the expansion are pretty neat.. though only have seen the two.

    I still died in the bomb mission because I don't need zombies to flub a time based level.

    When did succeed I still had fun balancing the need to refresh camo with the time ticking down and looting stuff.

    It definitely changes the dynamic of the game but not necessarily in a bad way. You're well on your way to being a zombie murdering machine by the time you get the ability.

    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

    Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Grrr. You guys are really making me want to pick up this expansion and start playing again.

    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Should be here Friday, even though I normally hate paying twice for a game I'm fine supporting these guys.

    Fuck Firearm Fetishism
    86 45
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I'd like to see base building if they do another one. I am sure this team will put out more zombie fun.

  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    For now, they've said they want to continue the support for the game until the end of the year. Which I'm all for.

  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I dropkicked one of Rais' men off the top a building as he was shooting at me and he landed onto a spike strip. The best part, there was a zombie shambling over the strip and he pummeled into it too.

    MichaelLC
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Welp, I tried Bozak Horde and quit out of it, now every time I change zones (using tower elevator, for example) the game puts all my items in storage as if I'm still in the Bozak Horde area.

    Fuck Firearm Fetishism
    86 45
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Glad I never dove into that now. I'm up to the point of no return in the story for the base game. Easily put over 60 hours into it, I reckon. Bear in mind, I damn near finished it before on pc too so this second run on ps4 is pretty stunning for me, with the amount of other games I could be playing.
    I'm sorry Primal, one day I swear it!

  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Well.. just finished the Following.. kinda disappointed. Both ending spoilers below
    So either you go with the mother and "cleanse" everything with a nuke, or you fight her and get transformed into a volatile, or volakyle as some people have been saying and from the look of it become patient zero in an area that wasn't effected on the island.

    No idea what happens to the survivors in Harran though from the sound of it they are fucked, and who knows what happens to everyone else if you didn't go nuke.. bit lacklaster imo. Great game though, had alot of fun.

  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Trying to get back into this after so long away, never finished the story, kind of stopped in the middle I guess?

    Getting my ass blown up by everything. Oh jeez.

    I remember having tons of fun with this game at first back when the city was populated mostly by stupid shamblers that were constantly falling over each other and ragdolling hilariously, not runners that make me want to scream in terror.

    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Trying to get back into this after so long away, never finished the story, kind of stopped in the middle I guess?

    Getting my ass blown up by everything. Oh jeez.

    I remember having tons of fun with this game at first back when the city was populated mostly by stupid shamblers that were constantly falling over each other and ragdolling hilariously, not runners that make me want to scream in terror.

    Runner aren't too bad if you keep it quiet, as soon as you can get Camouflage take it, helps immensely.

  • DacDac Registered User regular
    That's probably one of my issues. I just enjoy bashing zombies too much.

    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    i started crafting boosters (night vision, stamina, speed, etc) and they are a lifesaver. Especially because now I can run around at night without a flashlight and still give the volatiles wide berth, and I won't bump into random shamblers by accident.

    Fuck Firearm Fetishism
    86 45
Sign In or Register to comment.