Options

[Dying Light] Mirror's Edge / Dead Island : Will It Blend? 10+ minutes of gameplay

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    prolly pick this up over the summer :D

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    @Ninja Snarl P‌ Yeah it's REALLY tempting. But I wanna hold out for reviews, especially game length. Boogie2988 is streaming it right now, and he seems to be loving it.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Played for a few hours on PS4 - it feels like a faster paced Dead Island, the parkour works pretty well and I am liking it a lot so far. Played mostly coop with a buddy up to this point. Night time is nuts.

Here is the Twitch of my session:
    http://www.twitch.tv/furiousjodo/b/616631476

Turned off my voice and party voice maybe 30-40 minutes in since only people watching were already in our PSN party anyway.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Arthil wrote: »
    I'm kind of confused about that as well. As I said in my post, some people just don't like him. But despite this he's done nothing but have integrity, and even when he suspects that he might have become biased he calls himself out on it like with Planetside 2 for instance and the variety of games he's played for Polaris/TGS promotions.

It doesn't matter why he doesn't trust TB anymore, but it is poor form to outright dismiss his ideas ("some people just don't like him!") and then go on to defend someone "famous" such as TB whom really does not need any defending (he was never attacked!).

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    The game seems to have trouble loading cutscenes (I'm on PC). I'll get the audio, but have a frozen screen for 5-10 seconds. Not the end of the world, though, and I liked what I've played so far.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Liking the skill trees being reliant on what you do in the game. People that just want to wade in and smash skulls can develop that faster if they so desire.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Yeah. I'm getting agility experience like crazy.

• Options
    RonTheDMRonTheDM Yes, yes Registered User regular
    The game runs fantastically.

I played my first night and the experience was basically

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE DO NOT WANT NOPE NOPE

run run run run run run run

The rest of the game feels pretty familiar, having played all the little games it borrows from. The parkour can be a bit overly sensitive, especially flipping on some of the lights for that first mission, but the same was true of Mirror's Edge, when it decided it wanted to be finnicky. I dropped my resolution slightly to keep 60fps but everything else is on high and the performance is fantastic for a launch day PC title.

I'm eager to see how co-op goes, and eager to disappoint people by refusing to do anything at night even though it gives improved experience.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Game was running like shit the first time I launched it, everytime I would open a door it would lock up for 10-30 seconds and I'd still be able to hear stuff happening while no video would update.

Restarted it, set things pretty low and now its running fine. I'm enjoying what I've been playing of it, but it should definitely be running much better for me. Made it to coop unlocking before I took a break for the night. Overall I'm enjoying the parkour antics a hell of a lot, should be interesting.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    It was laggy (as expected) but it was the sound going all robot-y and slow-mo that's throwing me for a six. ANyoen know why that happens? Not using a soundcard, it's all through mobo.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I had the lag issue on cutscenes as well and knocked a couple settings down and reloaded to clear it up.

From what I understand, the review copies were held up because of a multiplayer issue and needed a patch to fix before sending out. Some youtubers/streamers got early copies from an on site press event a week or two ago (which is why Jesse Cox is made up like a zombie in his video).

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Goddamn, this game is fun. I'm not having any of the framerate issues. The atmosphere at night is seriously excellent and creepy, and the verticality and freedom of movement is insane. Combat is like Dead Island but tightened up a lot with more fun skills that can change pretty much everything you do. My friend was streaming it and we played co-op from the moment it unlocked until just a few moments ago.

Also don't look down.

?.jpg

these are medium settings, by the way, with most bells and whistles other than AO turned off.

edit: i know it sounds like I'm dating the game at this point, but the free-running is just so exhilarating. Once you get some skills and start to get good at it flows so damn well and is always exciting. It makes Assassin's Creed feel boring and on rails.

also I drop kicked a poison spitting asshole off a roof, and that was cool.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look now, and it's looking like I have to get this game.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    anyone want to talk about performance? what they're running, rez/framerate/hardware?

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    So, I'm not going to say I exploited the GameStop pricing error, but if I did 20 bucks would totally be the price point to get me in for the game on Digital/Console.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Did anyone order the PC version (download) from Gamestop.com? I got my game code but not my preorder DLC codes yet. Kind of annoying - why wouldn't I want to play with all the content?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    if anyone wants to do co-op sometime, steam here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/chaceincase/

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    same dev team, divergent projects. dead island 2 is the lighter-hearted game, focused on wacky fun

dying light is the serious one

Dying Light is the team behind Dead Island. Dead Island 2 is Yager games, which is a new team.

Dying Light also started out as Dead Island 2 but then they realized the game they were making was just too different. So they changed it to Dying Light and went back to maker a more "in line" Dead Island 2.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    So, I'm not going to say I exploited the GameStop pricing error, but if I did 20 bucks would totally be the price point to get me in for the game on Digital/Console.

Man, I would have exploited the shit outta that pricing error, but I found out too late. Dangit...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RonTheDMRonTheDM Yes, yes Registered User regular
    anyone want to talk about performance? what they're running, rez/framerate/hardware?

GeForce GTX 760 Ti
    i7-4770
    16 GB RAM

I had the game at 1920x1080 with everything on highest and I was getting over 30fps but less than 60 so I switched it to 1360x768 with everything on highest and now I easily get 60fps all the time (smooth gameplay is important for a game that makes you do precise platforming and timing-based combat). I haven't bothered to try a higher resolution because I wanted to play more last night without fiddling and I trust GeForce Experience to iron it all out in a few days. (Hasn't patched yet for it, and the game just came out)

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    How to play the game properly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQBD4vXHzf4

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So they do a that xray thing when you score a critical or something? Because that would be awesome. Like straight out of a Sonny Chiba's street fighter.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Was going to play this morning but I overslept XD. Sounds like the game isn't terrible judging from what you guys are saying, so that's good.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    just fired this up this morning to see how it ran.. not too bad, could likely bring down a setting here and there for it to be smooth. Will play the shit out of this tonight

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »

Didnt Dead Island have that same issue at first with being able to kick to your hearts content, I assume we will see kicks use Stamina soon. (unless this guy skilled up his kick to be Stamina free? )

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »

Didnt Dead Island have that same issue at first with being able to kick to your hearts content, I assume we will see kicks use Stamina soon. (unless this guy skilled up his kick to be Stamina free? )

I'm not sure he's actually killing them though. I went on a kick spree and all it seems to be is a pushback. I still had to bash them to keep them dead.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Yeah that was a dead island joke about kicks, though as you can see they weren't lethal like dead island kicks were which was the issue with kick island.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Dying Light quick look, AKA: complain about everything.

• Options
    yeah kicks are way way less lethal. you do get some good upgrades for them, though. also a slide tackle.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Oh god slide tackle? Finally that soccer hooligan zombie game I've been waiting for.

"RED CARD THIS WANKER!"

Do the character's still have a weird awkward exclamations that totally don't fit with the somber story?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Preacher wrote: »
    Oh god slide tackle? Finally that soccer hooligan zombie game I've been waiting for.

"RED CARD THIS WANKER!"

Do the character's still have a weird awkward exclamations that totally don't fit with the somber story?

no, thankfully it's just one guy who you can customize in a variety of ways, skill wise and... clothes wise. I get the feeling they wanted to leave their wacky character types out of this game. none of that "civilian pushed into desperate situation becomes HARDENED KILLER" shit either, they tell you from the start he's just a straight up hardcore mercenary.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Awesome. Honestly I didn't necessarily mind the different characters in Dead Island (and it did get us the amazing who do you voodoo bitch), but the fact characters would be all "woo hoo I found some shit." and then you'd go into a cut scene with implied gang rape, yeah that was a bit of a shock.

Have you gotten used guns yet? Are they not as terrible as they were in DI?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Awesome. Honestly I didn't necessarily mind the different characters in Dead Island (and it did get us the amazing who do you voodoo bitch), but the fact characters would be all "woo hoo I found some shit." and then you'd go into a cut scene with implied gang rape, yeah that was a bit of a shock.

Have you gotten used guns yet? Are they not as terrible as they were in DI?

Yeah I don't mind goofiness but their voice acting/screeching got so old and like you said was so out of place most of the time. these games actually go a long way to immerse you so it really just takes you out of it when they do that.

I haven't found a gun yet! I did find a big fucking broadsword though and cut several men in half. Guns are supposedly used less in this one than in any of the Dead Islands. I'm hoping they handle a lot better, though. They improved the melee stuff a good bit, so I'm thinking it should be.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Thanks for giving me hope Frei! I'm at work till later tonight, but when I get home I'm going to rage rage rage against the dying of the light!

Have you tried zombo mode or had someone invade you yet?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    not yet! i'm looking forward to it though. i think it was messed up on Steam for a lot of people at first because they didn't realize that the game didn't auto-install it if they downloaded the preload so they just thought they didn't have it. should be fixed by now so people will be playing. even the run of the mill bad guys are scary at night, can't imagine an even stronger player.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    So is there some kind of countdown timer till night time or warning?

And what happens zombos are faster and harder to kill or something?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    the day/night cycle doesn't start in earnest until you've completed the game's first several missions, I'm assuming to teach you what it is and what you need to do. after a certain point it will cycle, but each phase is pretty long. the phase can also change depending on a story mission or whatever you take on that has to be done at night, so you have to go and sleep until night before you can do it. also when you're outside at night all of your experience gains are (iirc) doubled. lots of risk vs. reward.

basically at night you can't see shit without your flashlight. it's not like most games where you can still see perfectly fine at night. it's pitch black. all zombies are stronger, but special types of zombies come out, ones that come out during the day and they will absolutely destroy you if they catch you alone, or if they are in a pack themselves. if you turn on your light they're gonna spot you, but if you don't, well, you cant see shit and will probably bump into one. they hunt in the dark and the best thing you can do if one spots you is to book it and make use of those fancy parkour moves.

you do have stuff to even the odds like setting car traps where you rig a car alarm to go off and blow it up with fuel canisters, "light traps" that you can trigger under certain street lamps you can fix that flood an area with UV light and fuck most of the hardcore zombies up. also stuff like electricity you can trigger into water and onto fences and all that. you also have plenty of distraction tools and stuff to just try to get by them if you need to.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Awesome.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    Damnit. I was kind of hoping this game would be just crappy enough I wouldn't need it in my life right away.

Sounds like I am out of luck.

26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular