Options

[Dying Light] Mirror's Edge / Dead Island : Will It Blend? 10+ minutes of gameplay

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    OK This game is really really fun.

And challenging!

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Frei wrote: »
    the day/night cycle doesn't start in earnest until you've completed the game's first several missions, I'm assuming to teach you what it is and what you need to do. after a certain point it will cycle, but each phase is pretty long. the phase can also change depending on a story mission or whatever you take on that has to be done at night, so you have to go and sleep until night before you can do it. also when you're outside at night all of your experience gains are (iirc) doubled. lots of risk vs. reward.

basically at night you can't see shit without your flashlight. it's not like most games where you can still see perfectly fine at night. it's pitch black. all zombies are stronger, but special types of zombies come out, ones that come out during the day and they will absolutely destroy you if they catch you alone, or if they are in a pack themselves. if you turn on your light they're gonna spot you, but if you don't, well, you cant see shit and will probably bump into one. they hunt in the dark and the best thing you can do if one spots you is to book it and make use of those fancy parkour moves.

you do have stuff to even the odds like setting car traps where you rig a car alarm to go off and blow it up with fuel canisters, "light traps" that you can trigger under certain street lamps you can fix that flood an area with UV light and fuck most of the hardcore zombies up. also stuff like electricity you can trigger into water and onto fences and all that. you also have plenty of distraction tools and stuff to just try to get by them if you need to.
    So this is basically what Bioshock Infinite should have been

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    On PC, I've noticed sever performance issues during scripted cutscenes. Basically, the whole screen freezes for 5-10 seconds while the cutscene plays. I've also noticed some frame rate issues when just turning my head. I think these are both related to the game loading the next zone/cutscene. Kind of annoying. Hope it gets fixed.

I've played for an hour and a halfish and apart from what I described It's pretty fun, and challenging, like No-Quarter said. The base storyline is a bit more interesting than I thought it would be.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    I'm kind of confused about that as well. As I said in my post, some people just don't like him. But despite this he's done nothing but have integrity, and even when he suspects that he might have become biased he calls himself out on it like with Planetside 2 for instance and the variety of games he's played for Polaris/TGS promotions.

He also supports Gamergate

So

Maybe he actually is a tad lacking in integrity

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I'm kind of confused about that as well. As I said in my post, some people just don't like him. But despite this he's done nothing but have integrity, and even when he suspects that he might have become biased he calls himself out on it like with Planetside 2 for instance and the variety of games he's played for Polaris/TGS promotions.

So

That is not true in the slightest(at least under the pretense you're suggesting), but whatever. A simple wikipedia search shows that. But let's not scum up the thread of a good game with political bullshit.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Has anyone played this on the xbone yet?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    GB quick look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMiK5YOVsZI

Game looks just like Dead Island + Parkour - Analog Combat.

My concern is that Parkour < Analog Combat.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    I just picked this up on the PC, so if you haven't added me as a friend yet (shame on you), you can find my profile here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/DietarySupplement/

Yes, the profile is private but that's my steam name.

• Options
    I was never that fond of the analog combat, so I'll take being able to move better and go all crazy on zombos over flailing at the zombo and missing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I played on PC, so we didn't even have analog combat. No biggy for me.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    GB quick look:

What do you mean by analog combat? I'm sorry if it's explained in the video, I just don't have an hour and 15 minutes to watch it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    f3rret wrote: »
    GB quick look:

What do you mean by analog combat? I'm sorry if it's explained in the video, I just don't have an hour and 15 minutes to watch it.

In the console versions of the game, and only them for some reason, you were able to choose an option that let you swing your melee weapon in any direction you liked with the right analog stick.

• Options
    I thought you could also do that on the pc with a controller, I might be mistaken. I remember for DI pc I actually used a controller because it was easier to control than the pc controls.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    I am surprised by how weak you are at the start. Given a lot of the later trailers I felt like they had moved away from that but I guess it was just marketing. Really makes you get creative and keeping moving.

• Options
    You were also pretty weak to start off in dead island, so that doesn't surprise me.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    GB quick look:

You and I have very different priorities. I'm all about high mobility.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    It was on PC as well. I played through Dead Island on PC with a gamepad and I used analog combat.

I think you had to change some configuration settings outside of the game to turn it on for KBM.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    http://youtu.be/78bj6ebUVqA

I'm getting ready!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I'm getting ready!
    Sam B the OG zombie killing MC. Ho oh. I came up with that myself.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    They aren't mutually exclusive... you have tons of mobility related attacks and they can be done off of pretty much anything or anyone you can vault on. jumping down from a height and timing a melee attack to smack something in the head and then maintaining your mobility is really effective.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Honestly Sam was my favorite character set up in DI, I mean he had some absolutely horrible victim blaming in the game if I remember right. But his whole back story of being a one hit wonder making money on his one single in some b side travel destination? Awesome. I'd watch an entire movie starring Sam.

Though you'd have to have Orlando Jones play him, Phil Lamar is just too gangly.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular

I'm getting ready!

Traded in that game a year ago but I still have that track on my iPod.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    I like the song, but as a white person I have terrible taste in rap. I'm sorry for Eminem, vanilla ice, and nicki minaj!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    The fact that the song is terrible and catchy in and out of universe fills me with glee. And yeah, Dead Island had a serious tone issue that it looks like this game avoids. I like the way the use the day/night cycle to have both the classic zeds and the modern superpowered dead.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    the day/night cycle doesn't start in earnest until you've completed the game's first several missions, I'm assuming to teach you what it is and what you need to do. after a certain point it will cycle, but each phase is pretty long. the phase can also change depending on a story mission or whatever you take on that has to be done at night, so you have to go and sleep until night before you can do it. also when you're outside at night all of your experience gains are (iirc) doubled. lots of risk vs. reward.

basically at night you can't see shit without your flashlight. it's not like most games where you can still see perfectly fine at night. it's pitch black. all zombies are stronger, but special types of zombies come out, ones that come out during the day and they will absolutely destroy you if they catch you alone, or if they are in a pack themselves. if you turn on your light they're gonna spot you, but if you don't, well, you cant see shit and will probably bump into one. they hunt in the dark and the best thing you can do if one spots you is to book it and make use of those fancy parkour moves.

you do have stuff to even the odds like setting car traps where you rig a car alarm to go off and blow it up with fuel canisters, "light traps" that you can trigger under certain street lamps you can fix that flood an area with UV light and fuck most of the hardcore zombies up. also stuff like electricity you can trigger into water and onto fences and all that. you also have plenty of distraction tools and stuff to just try to get by them if you need to.
    So this is basically what Bioshock Infinite should have been

Wait, why would Bioshock Infinite have been this? None of the other Bioshock games were zombie survival traversal games, unless I missed some sort of prerelease information about day/night cycles and risk/reward survival gameplay that turned out to be inaccurate.

• Options
    So hunter mode is pretty awful right now, in that you can't actually join other player's sessions. After about 30 attempts I've managed to only invade 1 session. Either alot of people aren't to the point where they can be invaded, or it's just really broken.

• Options
    Is that on the PC? Someone mentioned earlier people don't know you have to download it seperately? That might cause the issue.

Good to know though.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

So

I've heard this too. He was pretty much (wisely) hands off on the whole thing then said something very recently that clued people in on how he really felt.

• Options
    Is that on the PC? Someone mentioned earlier people don't know you have to download it seperately? That might cause the issue.

Good to know though.

Plus, I mean, how many people actually have the game right now? Didn't it just release?

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Anyone on the PS4 want to play this evening?

And speaking of the PS4 version, it looks way better than it does in the Giant Bomb quick look if anyone was wondering.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Good to know though.

Plus, I mean, how many people actually have the game right now? Didn't it just release?

It did. I know a lot of people have a snow day on the least coast, but for everywhere else this is a regular tuesday.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular

So

I've heard this too. He was pretty much (wisely) hands off on the whole thing then said something very recently that clued people in on how he really felt.
    Basically, he claims to be 'neutral', but like a lot of his claims this is bullshit. He parrots GG talking points, defends GG from any accusation, and attacks the same people GG attacks all while saying stuff like "those death threats against Anita Sarkesian aren't credible because, quite frankly, she still breathing."

And that's not counting the lying and hypocrisy.

/rant

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Be the Zombie requires night time doesn't it? I think the day and night cycle doesn't actually trigger in earnest until a handful of missions in and given how weak you start it might just be that there's not many people exploring during the night yet either.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    Dashui wrote: »

And speaking of the PS4 version, it looks way better than it does in the Giant Bomb quick look if anyone was wondering.
    That's good to know, they did mention they where only capturing it at 720p. Is the framerate solid?

• Options

Good to know though.

the least coast

is that a typo or is you hatin'

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular

That's good to know, they did mention they where only capturing it at 720p. Is the framerate solid?

Framerate has been fine in my short time with it. I only noticed a dip when I was on top of the roof crane staring at the whole city during the tutorial. Running around street level and slaying zombies hasn't caused any slowdown that I've noticed.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I've had it stutter a bit but for the most part it stays at a "smooth" 30fps. I think it looks/feels really good, I do think they overdid it on the film grain but I'm fine with it.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options

Framerate has been fine in my short time with it. I only noticed a dip when I was on top of the roof crane staring at the whole city during the tutorial. Running around street level and slaying zombies hasn't caused any slowdown that I've noticed.
    Awesome, thanks.

Think that may have been last step in convincing myself to buy this one. :)

• Options
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Be the Zombie requires night time doesn't it? I think the day and night cycle doesn't actually trigger in earnest until a handful of missions in and given how weak you start it might just be that there's not many people exploring during the night yet either.
    You have to configure you session to turn off/on receiving invasions. By default it is off. So you have to opt into it.