As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dying Light] Mirror's Edge / Dead Island : Will It Blend? 10+ minutes of gameplay

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Is that on the PC? Someone mentioned earlier people don't know you have to download it seperately? That might cause the issue.

Good to know though.

Plus, I mean, how many people actually have the game right now? Didn't it just release?

the least coast

is that a typo or is you hatin'

I got my hatorade out and I'm about to drop some truth.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It seems this game is getting near universal good reactions first up from the people who have it. Still don't understand why the hid the game away from reviewers, but none the less it looks like I am going to have to play this as everything I have seen makes it look super fun. This is actually what I hoped Dead Island would be in many ways, especially that second part inside the city.
    Arthil wrote: »
    Arthil wrote: »
    I'm kind of confused about that as well. As I said in my post, some people just don't like him. But despite this he's done nothing but have integrity, and even when he suspects that he might have become biased he calls himself out on it like with Planetside 2 for instance and the variety of games he's played for Polaris/TGS promotions.

He also supports Gamergate

So

Maybe he actually is a tad lacking in integrity

That is not true in the slightest(at least under the pretense you're suggesting), but whatever. A simple wikipedia search shows that. But let's not scum up the thread of a good game with political bullshit.

I feel obliged to comment on this, because I started it but I have no interest in continuing it outside of pointing out you have obviously not been following twitter lately. His recent antics on there are why I have no respect for his opinions and I very much find his integrity questionable. With this, I am done shitting up the thread on this issue.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    It does seem weird they didn't let reviewers have the game early, then again maybe they just didn't care about early reviews getting out there and would rather have the game sell on trailers and word of mouth? I don't know, I'm not that high on game reviewers normally and so I could see why a studio wouldn't be too up on letting them have early access as well.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    It does seem weird they didn't let reviewers have the game early, then again maybe they just didn't care about early reviews getting out there and would rather have the game sell on trailers and word of mouth? I don't know, I'm not that high on game reviewers normally and so I could see why a studio wouldn't be too up on letting them have early access as well.

I read it wasn't ready in time for reviewers due to some multiplayer bugs the developers were still trying to fix for launch. It may not have been anything nefarious. It's just another casualty of requiring day one patches.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    On the Giant Bombcast they talked about this a while ago and said that this kind of stuff happens for a bunch of reasons and it's not always a sign of a crappy game.

Games are hard to make and they generally don't come together till the last minute. It's not hard to come up with reason a developer might need that extra week or two to get the game in shape.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    It was just me being paranoid given some of the games last year that publishers deliberately tried to hide from scrutiny before release due to being broken like AC:U (which had a review embargo that extended into the day it was released) and of course the utterly infamous Aliens: Colonial Marines. This is absolutely not the case with Dying Light, which is a relief as I have been excited about it since last year when I got to play it.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Dashui wrote: »

I read it wasn't ready in time for reviewers due to some multiplayer bugs the developers were still trying to fix for launch. It may not have been anything nefarious. It's just another casualty of requiring day one patches.

Yeah I know there are other reasons entirely than just bad game. Honestly the "no reviews this must suck" is a hold over from films not being screened in advance, when that's always because a movie sucks and never because they were just finishing the movie like the week before it's set to release.

I mean they delayed physical copies in some countries, clearly there is some issue they were trying to fix.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Well crap. I'm going to have to buy this when I get home aren't I?

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Well crap. I'm going to have to buy this when I get home aren't I?

Gosh darn it another fun open world zombie game, CURSE YOU WORLD!!!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Thanks for that Frei,

I've been seriously wavering on the fence here. The biggest thing that has kinda kept me held off of this is that a lot of early reports were 'Day/night tied to story, doesn't cycle.' But I'm glad to see that's not that case.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Yeah that'd be people who didn't go beyond the first couple of story missions.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Put six hours into this so far.

Yeah, time of day is tied to the story up to a certain point, but that's really early in the game.

It feels a lot better than Dead Island. Zombies can be a serious threat and give very little in the way of rewards for the risk, so you're better off avoiding them if possible. The parkour-style navigating is easy and nice to use. You start out kind of slow, but can put skill points into getting better - running for longer, climbing faster, more special moves etc etc.

The multiplayer seems interesting and I really want to give that a shot some time.

• Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Well, you do level up your fighting skills for killing zombies, so there is that. Plus I tend to get a lot of metal parts off their bodies as well.

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Thanks guys. Boughteededed.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    As one man I super avoided pretty much every confrontation and stuck to moving quick and economically.

With three people I see an airship beacon and sometimes I get there before anyone's on the scene and sometimes there's a few goons and it's like do you really want to do this runner? And I look back and forth and I go three on two? I think we'll take our chances and then watch a bunch of guys with electrified pipes beat a man savagely to death.

Then beat the other dude half to death and he goes ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT you can take it all please just-

and before he can even finish talking we all descend upon him and beat him until there's nothing left but meat chunks. The gore in the game is so gross and wet sounding, but they're zombies lol so who cares. GOD I love dropkicking zombies down stairs/off rooftops.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I need to get better at timing that grab-throw. You know, so I can be better at decorating spiked walls with zombies.

• Options
    There was a spike-wall near a power plant mission and I had to wait for night time, so I had to kill several hours of in-game time, so I let zombies in one at a time and booted them up against the wall to insta-kill them. They'll die if they touch it with like zero momentum. Traps and hazards are like, the best way to dice monsters without taking up sweet sweet durability.

It's like, I can either knife this hammer zombie 3000 times, or I can lure him into fire for half a second.

Same result.

• Options
    That's cool, good to know enviromental kills are the way to go.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    If you have the PC version, Alienware giving out free outfits: http://na.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/dying-light-in-game-alienware-t-shirt-key-giveaway

This is what it looks like in game: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=382562604

Also, they have a "dockets" program that is similar to the Golden Keys in Borderlands for free weapons in game: https://dockets.dyinglightgame.com/

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Someone figured out how to disable the film grain on the PC

http://www.reddit.com/r/dyinglight/comments/2tus4n/how_to_disable_film_grain/

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    So just to double triple check how does the coop work? Is it like dead island where u can coop the main campaign or is it only special missions? Because my enjoy,ent of this game will be entirely based on whether me and a friend can coop the campaign

• Options
    I haven't had any issues co-oping campaign missions so far. Just need everybody to be at the same spot when it tells you to. Otherwise? Everything is in the clear.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Dying Light is sooo good.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Frei wrote: »
    the day/night cycle doesn't start in earnest until you've completed the game's first several missions, I'm assuming to teach you what it is and what you need to do. after a certain point it will cycle, but each phase is pretty long. the phase can also change depending on a story mission or whatever you take on that has to be done at night, so you have to go and sleep until night before you can do it. also when you're outside at night all of your experience gains are (iirc) doubled. lots of risk vs. reward.

basically at night you can't see shit without your flashlight. it's not like most games where you can still see perfectly fine at night. it's pitch black. all zombies are stronger, but special types of zombies come out, ones that come out during the day and they will absolutely destroy you if they catch you alone, or if they are in a pack themselves. if you turn on your light they're gonna spot you, but if you don't, well, you cant see shit and will probably bump into one. they hunt in the dark and the best thing you can do if one spots you is to book it and make use of those fancy parkour moves.

you do have stuff to even the odds like setting car traps where you rig a car alarm to go off and blow it up with fuel canisters, "light traps" that you can trigger under certain street lamps you can fix that flood an area with UV light and fuck most of the hardcore zombies up. also stuff like electricity you can trigger into water and onto fences and all that. you also have plenty of distraction tools and stuff to just try to get by them if you need to.

You seriously cannot see a fucking thing at night.

• Options
    Like, I narrowly missed a zombie and nearly ran into a wall.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's dark as shit. I totally left my friend behind the first night mission when the Volatiles started coming out.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    You do have a flashlight.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    So I didn't click with Dead Island but I tend to love free roaming games. How much different is this game?

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    You can also unlock a skill that lets you craft night visiony medicine.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    If it even starts to get midday I will camp out.

I did cheese volatiles at the edge of the tower one night just to desensitize myself to them. Kind of takes the piss out of them.

• Options
    Cabezone wrote: »
    So I didn't click with Dead Island but I tend to love free roaming games. How much different is this game?
    Still has a lot of the mechanics of DI but with a bit of Mirror's Edge and Far Cry thrown in. Just go on Twitch and watch some streams to see for yourself.

• Options
    How do you read the notes you pick up? Picked up a journal and a few notes but can't find them in the menu/inventory system

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Robes wrote: »
    How do you read the notes you pick up? Picked up a journal and a few notes but can't find them in the menu/inventory system

Yeah I have the same question. Seems weird to hide how to look at the collectibles. No clue what the zombie statues are for either, don't seem to give you anything.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I feel like this game was made for me. I'm so glad that I seem to be able to carry as many knick-knacks as I want (or maybe I just haven't hit my cap yet).

String? Yes. I need that string. No, I have no clue what I'm going to do with it. But it is my string now and I will put it with my other strings.

If this were skyrim, I'd probably be weighed down by a few metric tons of string and duct tape.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Okay, I thought my brightness was fucked at night, but apparently not.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Yeah it's really dark, they want to force you to use the flashlight and chance triggering volatiles. There's also a night vision potion you can make if you won't want to risk it.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i loved the city bits of Dead Island, so this is sounding right up my alley.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Oh fuck this guy who wants chocolates and a video tape.

Now he's locked me out of his house and I have to go Spiderman to get in there, and it looks like it's getting dark.

Ffffffff

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    so this might be dumb, but recently Dragon Age: Inquisition has screwed me on this concept, so:

are the "valuables" you find sometimes just basically vendor fodder? the game doesn't seem to mention them at all, anywhere, and they haven't been used for anything, but I worry that they'll be used for a quest or something.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Screenshots! Spoilered just because they are really big. You climb a really tall radio tower in one area of the game. Quite a view. Bit blurry for some reason:
    weon7n89gcf8.jpg
    There's a big trash bin down there, they are supposed to break your fall. I died from the fall :(
    1b6m7ebq87sq.jpg

Robes on