Options

[Dying Light] Mirror's Edge / Dead Island : Will It Blend? 10+ minutes of gameplay

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    @Robes Hahah, my friend died at the exact place and in the exact way you did last night while we were streaming. I chose caution and slid down the conveniently placed rope.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    so this might be dumb, but recently Dragon Age: Inquisition has screwed me on this concept, so:

are the "valuables" you find sometimes just basically vendor fodder? the game doesn't seem to mention them at all, anywhere, and they haven't been used for anything, but I worry that they'll be used for a quest or something.
    Yeah valuables are just vendor fodder. Under the sell tab at vendors there is a button to sell them all at once.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    So I am still early early game, just got the mission to run for the air drop and there is some other junk before that. So I am running around, head thwacking zombies for xp and for shits and giggles smacking the propane canisters, picking them up and then chucking them into a crowd of zombie for explosive fun. Loud noises attract more lethal zombies.. yea whatever, I certainly haven't seen any yet. I hear the screams and I am on a building that is pretty high up, then I see the runners. "Oh wow, they really book it" I said to myself seemingly from the safety of my rooftop.

Then one starts to climb up.

OH SHIT, I hear a screech turn around and there is another one who had already climbed up. Melee battle ensues, I fall to the floor below, out of stamina and get eaten.

Glorious.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I could never maintain interest in Dead Island long enough to even get to the city part. Something about the graphics, and something I couldn't put my finger on in the overall atmosphere of the game, and the fact that moving from place to place was boring, necessitating vehicles. So I don't feel like I have any good frame of reference for this game. It certainly seems impressive in the streams I've watched...

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Well I just made it through the first night segment....nopenopenopenopenopenopenope.

Nearly got stuck on the geometry on some hill (I think. It was dark). Managed to lose the volatiles and hide. Then I managed to stealth my way back to base.
    so this might be dumb, but recently Dragon Age: Inquisition has screwed me on this concept, so:

are the "valuables" you find sometimes just basically vendor fodder? the game doesn't seem to mention them at all, anywhere, and they haven't been used for anything, but I worry that they'll be used for a quest or something.
    I'd like to know the answer to this too. I think that they're vendor fodder, and I saw one poster elsewhere say that as well. However it seems that sometimes the vendors are looking for specific items and will pay extra for them. Maybe they'll sometimes ask for coffee or something?

On the assumption that the vendors may have a high demand for coffee someday, my current stance is "liquidate just enough valuables to buy that thing I want. Hoard the rest"

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    If you're on the fence just wait for a sale.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Dead Island definitely had something ugly about the graphics; everything looked so... rough and unpolished. More like it had been built for the Oxbox and then marginally upgraded, then actually designed for the PS3/360 generation. Not as bad as Fallout 3 (which actively gave me headaches because of how ugly things looked), but definitely had some really, really rough elements to the look.

And traversal was a major, major complaint of mine for Dead Island, but it's pretty much gone here. Without being restricted by assloads of walls or buildings or having pointlessly-oversized spaces, getting around is not only faster, it's actually entertaining. It's also usually not just "run from here to here", the game consistently places diverting events around you (airdrops, survivor rescues, etc) so there's fun stuff to do while running around.

Speaking of airdrops, something I just figured out is that the rewards from airdrops really are based on how quickly you get to them. If you're there almost immediately, you get a couple crates of stuff. Get there later and you'll have to fight some mooks off, and get less stuff. Wait too long, and the crate just gets taken completely.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Ok, is there any way to look at your watch? I see it taunting me occasionally when I do things with my hands.

Maybe I'm just blind, but I don't see a "Look at watch" option in the keybindings.

edit:
    I just noticed that there is a clock on the map screen....

A button to look at my watch would still be nice.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I had an airdrop in the middle of the night while I was running for my life. I just looked up at the plane and said "assholes".

• Options
    LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    Anyone know how to turn off the alarm on your watch when you wake up? Mine won't shut off in multiplayer.

• Options
    Priority 1: Ignore missions. Clear all the safe zones. Because night time is scary.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Robes wrote: »
    How do you read the notes you pick up? Picked up a journal and a few notes but can't find them in the menu/inventory system

Found it. In the inventory tab, bottom right is the collectibles command. F on PC, not sure about controller.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    So I'm not 100% a fan of the night stuff. I mean, I like the idea, and most of how it is executed; the balance between running around in the dark to avoid the nasty zombies and having the flashlight on to avoid obstacles and regular zombies is pretty decent. The night cycles have a pretty decent timespan, too; not so long you just always want to skip them, but not so fast that they aren't a considerable hazard. Hell, it's even pretty great how night is both more challenging and the "reward" mode by doubling agility/power XP earnings.

However, not real pleased with how the nasty zombies are absurdly fast on level ground. For instance, I wanted to try out the fence trap just at the entrance to the tower, so I went and got a nasty to chase me within fifty yards of the entrance. I literally can't even make it halfway there before the zombie sprints after me, pounces on me from thirty feet away, and knocks me down. And within 2-3 seconds, there's a second zombie there which beats me to death before I can get back up.

I get the approach that you're supposed to be using parkour to evade them (and it certainly works well), but holy shit, there should to be some middleground between "completely losing them" and "immediately dead". At this point, I can't even see using the fence traps because you have to be on the ground and running, which is effectively just suicide anyway.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Maybe you can drop some flares at your feet? They're supposed to be like portable safe zones*. Dropping one might act as an obstacle that zeds would have to maneuver around.

*I'm sticking to daylight for now. I don't intend to test the theory for a bit.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Since I'm basically a giant chicken, I like nothing better than sitting on a rooftop flicking Flammable Throwing Stars at those chumps stumbling around on the ground.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Maybe you can drop some flares at your feet? They're supposed to be like portable safe zones*. Dropping one might act as an obstacle that zeds would have to maneuver around.

*I'm sticking to daylight for now. I don't intend to test the theory for a bit.

There's actually an ability that slows time as you look over your shoulder while running, so you can take a look and see if you need to toss some equipment behind you to escape (flare, UV flashlight, whatever). But from what I'm seeing, for that ability to do something the chasers have to be like forty feet behind you to even have enough space and time for the equipment to do something; if a nasty zombie is close enough to hit with a molotov, it's probably already caught you anyway because it was in a flying leap.

I'm just miffed that all the remote traps are on the ground, which is the exact place where the nasty zombies definitely will catch up to you. And the light traps don't seem to do hardly much of anything as it is; I had a nasty zombie pounce me directly underneath an activated light trap, where he proceeded to keep me pinned for long enough for the zombie horde around him to beat me to death. The light didn't do much of anything to stop him, but it definitely convinced me to stand still long enough for him to jump me.

It's not that big a problem since the parkouring shakes pursuers pretty well, but so far it seems to me like they've simply wasted the remote traps by putting them on the ground and you'll never run away down there anyway.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Robes wrote: »
    Screenshots! Spoilered just because they are really big. You climb a really tall radio tower in one area of the game. Quite a view. Bit blurry for some reason:
    weon7n89gcf8.jpg
    There's a big trash bin down there, they are supposed to break your fall. I died from the fall :(
    1b6m7ebq87sq.jpg

There are cables on the sides of the tower you can slide down.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    If he's really high up (most towers have extra areas to traverse) he won't have the zip line. It can be really awkward getting down. Kind of a large oversight really, no way to climb back down.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Don't throw it back. Either throw it down or throw it forward. Presumably you should be able to run right over the flare because you aren't a vampire and the zeds will need to make a small detour around it in order to continue pursuing you.

Again, I've been a chicken that sticks to the sun, so I don't know how viable it is. I don't know how large of a radius the flares casts. The UV lights outside a safe zone kept the volatiles at bay for me (regular zeds kept coming and forced me out of the UV light).

Presuming that the radius is sufficiently large and that the volatiles choose to avoid the flare's light, then throwing them forward should be similar to throwing speed bumps down along your route. You can pass through unimpeded, but zeds will need to take short detour.

edit:
    I finished up my night by crafting "The Constable"

A police baton + electric stuff.

This is bringing back memories of space station 13.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    This game
    Jesus

Doing the first night stuff, sprinting like crazy through alleys to lose the aggro'd zombies, hopping over fences. A zombie swipes me as I jump on a car, misses the second time as I leap to a railing. Pulling myself up, come face to face with one of those tall assholes with a weapon. Dash to the side and sprint past as he slams the ground where I was. Hit a wall and scramble up the side. I can juuust barely make it to the tower if I sprint past a big pack of zombies, so I toss a firecracker and hop down to street level to run inside. I miss my awning, hit the ground hard, and then I get mauled before I can recover.

Hell fucking yeah

• Options
    I think they might need to up the penalty for dying because when you realize you're losing like 1 percent of the XP needed toward a level up it sort of takes the sting out a bit. Might've even worked with a Souls type system. Get mauled at night, have to go retrieve them before dawn.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    so I'm at the beginning of the game, and im like "wow my attack skill is leveling much faster than the agility skill. I guess it just will surpass it naturally since I can beat the shit out of all these zombies without a care in the world."

Then Night came.

Night is for the Runners. Night time doesnt give a fuck how well you can fight. I have caught my agility levels back up to my fighting levels, easily.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Word is the launch-day patch botched the performance if you're not on a high-end system. Good to know, because I couldn't decide if the game was poorly optimized or if it was me needing a hardware upgrade.

Well, I do need an upgrade, but...

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    So this runs worse for me now. But I've done my bit in supporting the devs since they did a tremendous job in making a game thats right up my street.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    The explosive zombies reeeeeeeeeeeally need some sort of loud, distinctive sound. They keep sneaking up on me. I actually ran right into one in the dark. It didn't end well.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Corpekata wrote: »
    I think they might need to up the penalty for dying because when you realize you're losing like 1 percent of the XP needed toward a level up it sort of takes the sting out a bit. Might've even worked with a Souls type system. Get mauled at night, have to go retrieve them before dawn.

Okay, I guess it just starts off weak I guess to ease people in, at level 6 it's now 800 per death whereas a couple levels ago it was like 48.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    This game can give you hella vertigo. When I sat on that beam at the end I could hear the eagle screech and the music from Assassin's Creed in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jso8srWaWec

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Dear game, go fuck yourself you lagging piece of shit.

Before anyone chimes in, I don't give a shit if it runs fine for most people. It runs shit for me and that is reason enough to be angry.

It is a really good game though And I hate myself for it but I'm likely going to buy it in the ps4.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular

Okay, I guess it just starts off weak I guess to ease people in, at level 6 it's now 800 per death whereas a couple levels ago it was like 48.

Depends on how you die. I've died to a fatal fall, and it only cost me 80-something XP.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »

Before anyone chimes in, I don't give a shit if it runs fine for most people. It runs shit for me and that is reason enough to be angry.

It is a really good game though And I hate myself for it but I'm likely going to buy it in the ps4.

Stop taking your anger out on random people on a message board? You don't get to tell us what we can and cannot say in reply to a post you make. It doesn't matter if you "give a shit" or not.

As far as the game goes, random note: I finally got my hands on a gun and while it isn't perfect or at the quality of say Far Cry or something, it's much better than Dead Island.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options

Stop taking your anger out on random people on a message board? You don't get to tell us what we can and cannot say in reply to a post you make. It doesn't matter if you "give a shit" or not.

As far as the game goes, random note: I finally got my hands on a gun and while it isn't perfect or at the quality of say Far Cry or something, it's much better than Dead Island.

And still someone has to snap back. Oh wait it's frei. Carry on. Seriously, at no point in my post do I get angry at forum members. I simply said don't bother replying saying it runs fine for you guys since I already know. But hey, by all means, Make me out to be a dick.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular

And still someone has to snap back. Oh wait it's frei. Carry on. Seriously, at no point in my post do I get angry at forum members. I simply said don't bother replying saying it runs fine for you guys since I already know. But hey, by all means, Make me out to be a dick.

HUGS FOR EVERYONE!

I'm going to have to either stop reading this thread or buy the game... argh the game sounds so good...

For the performance issues though, have they acknowledged it or identified a cause? Is it video, disk IO, RAM, CPU, what?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I was caught the first night. And woke up in the tower. So uhhhh thanks? My one complaint is the repair limit.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I wish the repair limit had been made clear...maybe I missed it, but I didn't realize there was even a limit until I found this bad ass sword that I put really nice upgrades into and then noticed it couldn't be repaired and it only had 7 durability. I may have cried a little.

• Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I was caught the first night. And woke up in the tower. So uhhhh thanks? My one complaint is the repair limit.

I think one of the skills you can get reduces the chance of using up a repair limit when you repair a weapon.

• Options
    There is also a bit if a bug where you can duplicate your favorite weapon by throwing it and then dropping it from your inventory.

I didn't play dead Island, but I heard that they had they exact same bug too.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    f3rret wrote: »

HUGS FOR EVERYONE!

I'm going to have to either stop reading this thread or buy the game... argh the game sounds so good...

For the performance issues though, have they acknowledged it or identified a cause? Is it video, disk IO, RAM, CPU, what?

Hard to say...the game won't fully engage the cpu or gpu. I basically turned everything off and the fps didn't change from 40 at the bottom of the elevator after the tutorial. Cpu and gpu at half load.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    There is also a bit if a bug where you can duplicate your favorite weapon by throwing it and then dropping it from your inventory.

I just popped in here to say this exact thing. That is fucking hilarious if it's true.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Have we heard about the hidden "easy mode"?

Spoiler for hidden weapons and easter eggs!
    EXPcalibur is a sword on a rock in the middle of the ocean. It gives you 3000Xp and is a pretty amazingly strong weapon to boot.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Well, they also fixed it from what I remember.