As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dying Light] Mirror's Edge / Dead Island : Will It Blend? 10+ minutes of gameplay

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    You fine people have sold me on this game. Everything about it sounds right up my alley

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Wrong thread :redface:

PS love this game..

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Have we heard about the hidden "easy mode"?

Spoiler for hidden weapons and easter eggs!
    EXPcalibur is a sword on a rock in the middle of the ocean. It gives you 3000Xp and is a pretty amazingly strong weapon to boot.
    Stream I was watching yesterday had that. It seemed to drop a blueprint but I wasn't sure if you could craft it more than once

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    This is getting harder and harder to resist.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »

EXPcalibur is a sword on a rock in the middle of the ocean. It gives you 3000Xp and is a pretty amazingly strong weapon to boot.
    Stream I was watching yesterday had that. It seemed to drop a blueprint but I wasn't sure if you could craft it more than once
    I actually ran across that last night when I wanted to see if anything was on an island I saw in the distance. It takes THREE minutes to pull it from the rock. It's pretty ridiculous. I killed one of those huge zombies (who have the giant concrete hammers) in two hits.
    The downside is it only has a durability of 7 and when I tried to repair it, nothing happened, then I noticed it has no repair slot. So I'm guessing it can't be fixed at all. Which is probably good since it's so powerful.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    So I'm watching those videos posted earlier on this page. I guess this game has a weapon/inventory system kind of like Dead Island? Does it have item crafting and durability and all that?

Dead Island was very RPG-lite as far as having a skill and talent tree. Is this game like that too?

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    So I'm watching those videos posted earlier on this page. I guess this game has a weapon/inventory system kind of like Dead Island? Does it have item crafting and durability and all that?

Dead Island was very RPG-lite as far as having a skill and talent tree. Is this game like that too?

Yup

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    For those that didn't watch TotalBiscuit's port report for this, basically the only setting that matters for your frame rate is view distance. Turn it down all the way, you'll get barely any pop in on the scenery, enemies won't pop in, and it doubled my frame rate.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Robes wrote: »
    How do you read the notes you pick up? Picked up a journal and a few notes but can't find them in the menu/inventory system

Found it. In the inventory tab, bottom right is the collectibles command. F on PC, not sure about controller.

Awesome, thanks!
    Second question for people:
    I've found and opened a couple of cop vans... I've only managed to get batons/baseball bats and Ammo inside of them. Is this kinda like Dead Island in that you have to get to a certain point in the story for guns to be accessible? So you should wait on opening cop vans until then?

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    How do you read the notes you pick up? Picked up a journal and a few notes but can't find them in the menu/inventory system

Found it. In the inventory tab, bottom right is the collectibles command. F on PC, not sure about controller.

Awesome, thanks!
    I've found and opened a couple of cop vans... I've only managed to get batons/baseball bats and Ammo inside of them. Is this kinda like Dead Island in that you have to get to a certain point in the story for guns to be accessible? So you should wait on opening cop vans until then?

No, guns are super rare. One review I watched said they only found three in the entire game and even less bullets.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Another thing, vsync bufferig doesn't work in fullscreen for me, setting it to windowed fixes it. Unfortunately they do not have borderless.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I think I saw one of Rais' men holding a rifle. I avoided a confrontation at the time.

Later tonight, I intend to use some air drops as a trap for them. My plan to defeat them involves gratuitous use of molotovs.

Actually, that is pretty much the whole plan.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Awesome, thanks!

No, guns are super rare. One review I watched said they only found three in the entire game and even less bullets.

So this game is mostly melee then?

After appearing from a warp in time and space, just after the credits rolled in New Vegas, a man in power armor appeared in the middle of Turkey, ready to rock some zombies with his trust flaming sword. Once a knight, then a lord, now a paladin dedicated to fighting that which lurks in the night. Zombies? Monsters? Pah. He'd faced down super mutants and deathclaws back in the Mojave. Let them all come.

They would burn in righteous fire.

My Internet goes from 3 Mbps to 16 on Friday. I'll install the game then.

• Options
    I think I saw one of Rais' men holding a rifle. I avoided a confrontation at the time.

Later tonight, I intend to use some air drops as a trap for them. My plan to defeat them involves gratuitous use of molotovs.

It is a pretty good plan. People typically die from being set on fire.

• Options

It is a pretty good plan. People typically die from being set on fire.

Pfft. Weaklings!

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    While it's a little monotone, not unlike Dead Island, I'm loving it lots. It's like a much more polished, truely open world Dead Island, with stellar movement baked into it.

My hope is that the next iteration of Battlefield after Hardline will have taken a good hard look at Dying Light, and allow me to traverse its environments in much the same fashion. That'd be a dream come through.

Organic natural-feeling movement without artificial restraints is what I've been clamouring for forever. Dying Light gets it quite right. Finally!

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    I'm still trying to get the keyboard and mouse controls set up to be comfortable, with mixed success.

I tried to open the back door of a shop to avoid some zombies and instead smashed a molotov against it.

The whole room was fire. The medkits were surprisingly effective at treating actively burning flesh considering that they are just gauze soaked in alcohol.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    So it looks like despite the late review code kerfuffle, the game is good?

Gee whiz that's a relief. I was really looking forward to this.

If I wasn't in the middle of Dragon Age Inquisition I'd grab it up immediately but the backlog looms.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm still trying to get the keyboard and mouse controls set up to be comfortable, with mixed success.

I tried to open the back door of a shop to avoid some zombies and instead smashed a molotov against it.

The whole room was fire. The medkits were surprisingly effective at treating actively burning flesh considering that they are just gauze soaked in alcohol.

The worst thing with KBAM is using B to look back while sprinting. So you are holding Shift+W to run forward, and pressing B to look back. It is so awkward. I mean you can rebind it, but that is the silliest default binding.

• Options
    Agreed. My "look back" is currently mouse 4. Not sure if I'm gonna leave it there.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options

If I wasn't in the middle of Dragon Age Inquisition I'd grab it up immediately but the backlog looms.

The game is good but something is wrong with the rendering. It's not culling stuff behind objects or something like that. If you have low FPS looking in a direction and get behind a wall the FPS stays low. It seems like something they broke with a patch yesterday before release so hopefully it's addressed soon.

• Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Supposedly near Rais you can find some guns but I dunno how far you need to progress the story.

Found some pistol ammo in a locked police van near so i was hoping to find a gun there. No dice but after making my way out to pickup EXPcalibur I did come across a german 9mm laying on the ground near a suicide victim.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    For those playing on the xbone, if you hold the right dpad it lets you go radial menu to select your weapons, which is a lot better than just sorting through them the normal way.

Anyone else playing with the companion ap? Its not terrible, I mean it doesn't add anything really but you can supposedly package up care stuff for yourself from the scouts and I did see a double barrel shotgun in there for what that's worth.

Really having fun with this.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Beezel wrote: »

I actually ran across that last night when I wanted to see if anything was on an island I saw in the distance. It takes THREE minutes to pull it from the rock. It's pretty ridiculous. I killed one of those huge zombies (who have the giant concrete hammers) in two hits.
    The downside is it only has a durability of 7 and when I tried to repair it, nothing happened, then I noticed it has no repair slot. So I'm guessing it can't be fixed at all. Which is probably good since it's so powerful.

Can craft as many as you have materials for. I find it kind of gimmicky given the bang for the bucks needed to upgrade. Nice to have one for burst damage on a sticky enemy.

Other then that, early level just use police baton with bleed or other orange weapon.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ED! - I didn't realize it unlocked a way to craft it, that's cool.

• Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    Supposedly near Rais you can find some guns but I dunno how far you need to progress the story.

Found some pistol ammo in a locked police van near so i was hoping to find a gun there. No dice but after making my way out to pickup EXPcalibur I did come across a german 9mm laying on the ground near a suicide victim.

Picked up a pistol in the back of a police van while wandering about.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »

The game is good but something is wrong with the rendering. It's not culling stuff behind objects or something like that. If you have low FPS looking in a direction and get behind a wall the FPS stays low. It seems like something they broke with a patch yesterday before release so hopefully it's addressed soon.

Well, hopefully by the time I'm done with DA:I it's been patched.

I was going to play some other games in my backlog but this game calls my name. I was half hoping it would be bad so I could skip it without remorse but alas :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I didn't like Dead Island at all but instantly liked how DL played.

• Options
    Cabezone wrote: »

Well, hopefully by the time I'm done with DA:I it's been patched.

I was going to play some other games in my backlog but this game calls my name. I was half hoping it would be bad so I could skip it without remorse but alas :P

Yes, me too! I'm playing and loving Neo Scavenger, but a big patch for The Long Dark comes out next week, along with the release of Sunless Sea. I'm going to try REALLY hard to wait for a sale on this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    You guys made use of the GMG 25% off code right? I mean, at $60 I was very "ehhh..." but at $45? Hell yeah!

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    You guys made use of the GMG 25% off code right? I mean, at $60 I was very "ehhh..." but at $45? Hell yeah!

I did not, and it doesn't seem to be available anymore.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It's shows as 20% off right now anyway.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Not the front page code, THIS one. Seriously, this should be in the title or something xP HYEHZ0-GNKD1A-GFNGMQ

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    HYEHZ0-GNKD1A-GFNGMQ

This is still working for -25%

• Options
    FINE, YOU WIN. I WILL BUY.

Anyone know if this works in Canada?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It should

• Options
    I'm not seeing how their math works, and this isn't giving me the warm fuzzies about handing over a credit card number.
    2SNCtVE.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »
    I'm not seeing how their math works, and this isn't giving me the warm fuzzies about handing over a credit card number.
    2SNCtVE.png

Changes are shown on next screen.

• Options
    I also F5ed and it showed the right price. Odd.

steam_sig.png