Options

PAX Prime '13 PAX XP [feedback inside]

2»

• Options
    KroenenKroenen Registered User regular
    I think they put up a ton between 4 and 6 today, because I know I hunted all around and couldnt've missed three or four 250 point codes(level 3 right next to escalators, level 4 up the stairs near the merch booth and on level 6 before the hallway into the LoL Regionals). So I dunno if everything is up now or if they moved Expo hall ones over to new spots or something.

• Options
    LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    I've been hunting the codes too, but that was all after-hour stuff (aka no expo hall hunting yet). I have about 1500 points, and I would absolutely love free PAX 2014 badges. Do any of you remember where the big-points codes are?

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    So they're out of rubix cubes? That's all I cared about

No, the medals are in addition to the cube for completing the hunt will before everyone else.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    Mr Je11ymanMr Je11yman Registered User regular
    I have been taking pictures of the Pax XP codes. I suppose it is verboten to post them here? I still need 5 and I only started taking pictures today, but that's something anyway. Somebody sound off and let me know what to do with these pictures.

• Options
    adkalldayadkallday Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I have been taking pictures of the Pax XP codes. I suppose it is verboten to post them here? I still need 5 and I only started taking pictures today, but that's something anyway. Somebody sound off and let me know what to do with these pictures.

Make an album on a image hosting site?

imgur is a good place.

adkallday on
  • Options
    ben175ben175 Registered User regular
    Post them on the guidebook app, everyone please post photos of your Mountain Dew, and pax xp codes on the guidebook app. Please

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    So they're out of rubix cubes? That's all I cared about

No, the first 15 people get a special Pax XP medal, after that they give out the cubes. They are still in the medal phase because the last two code are currently missing.

0hy0sznvqw4d.png
  • Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm having problems finding the codes for the bottom left 3 and the 2nd row from the bottom 2nd one in. Only place I haven't looked is b hall which I assume will have 1 code like the 2 Hyatts did. I did not see one at paramount that I recall?

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    I don't know. I. Still missing 5 do codes too

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    I know it's a very small number of people doing this, but bad form on two groups of people scanning the Mountain Dew codes.

The first group are the people who find the hard-to-find codes (the 250 pointers and better) that are worth more points specifically because they are harder to find....and who are ripping them off the walls and then placing them in highly conspicuous spots a few feet/metres away (such as "this one was under a bench....now it's on the wall near the bench" or "this one was hidden behind a sign, now it's just plastered right at the edge of the stairs near the sign"). Which is a group that is trumped for douchiness by...

The second group of people, who are outright STEALING the placards with the codes so that nobody else can scan them at all. So far, I know of 3 250's and a 300 pointer that I've scanned, taken someone else to to scan, and find that they are just completely gone. Not hidden in another spot nearby, not conspicuously placed somewhere nearby, just stolen. I know this group exists as well, given that I've found the "bones" of the cardboard on 2 of these (looks like someone folded the sheet of cardboard the code was on so that it could fit in a swag bag or something, then ripped off the part of the poster that didn't have anything useful on it.

Before someone calls "just sour grapes" on either point - I'm sitting on like 6,000 points, so I'm sitting pretty for one of the X-Bone's even if I don't manage to time the exact moment the day's badge prizes are released, whenever that is (it wasn't actually noon yesterday....they were sold out before 9 am)

• Options
    edited September 2013
    While it is true some are being ripped down there is a crew replacing them. I spoke with the guys putting signs up yesterday (they wear purple all access badges but no dew shirts so they blend in and don't get followed) there are also day limited signs so you might see signs taken down that no longer work. They showed us the backs of some of the signs that had active days and times on them as examples. Sadly no specifics on locations.

This thread is really about the XP codes though as sharing those is not harming others changes of winning auctions.

Of course I post this then notice the original poster while saying XP codes ended up talking about the every 2 minute codes. Sharing those online probably not a great idea. I have met plenty of people who have shared locations, as have I, on the show floor though.

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    [E] are moving some of the codes as well. There were several right outside the theater by the handheld lounge that they put further down the hall away from the lineup because its just ridiculous to have code hunters barging into crowds of waiting people for a panel. This was around 9 or 10 Saturday night. It was helpful they wrote a sign that said "no QR codes beyond here"

That said at this point I'm pretty sure that I'm only going to get a bag of chips or something. I was getting super frustrated with my group that only wanted to hunt codes last night and refused to go sit and free play anywhere. Of course these guys are also raffle/swag whores and won't even go to lunch.

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    The final two were replaced and are in the expo hall. Both at the same booth.

0hy0sznvqw4d.png
  • Options
    Mr Je11ymanMr Je11yman Registered User regular
    OK, here is a Flickr set of 5 xp codes. I wish I had started taking pictures at the start. I personally am still missing 5.
    http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0090009/photos/56902091@N03/sets/72157635334608481/

• Options
    Thanks I was missing one of those still missing bottom row 2 and 3 and 2nd row from bottom #2 not thinking I will get them.

vn6ID15.png

• Options
    CorvuscrxCorvuscrx Registered User new member
    Here is what I've found. I'm still missing 5 myself. I'd really appreciate someone helping me with the ones I'm missing.
    Thanks!

The guidebook
    Front Entrance
    Hyatt
    Rock Band
    Serpent
    Sheraton
    Olive8
    3rd Fl hall to North
    Console Free play
    Welcome
    WB Booth
    Ancient Wonders

• Options
    DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I finished it but I don't remember all the locations, however there is a complete list in the reddit thread.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Options
    helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular
    DashD wrote: »
    I finished it but I don't remember all the locations, however there is a complete list in the reddit thread.

But what do you get now that the rubix cubes are most likely gone?

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    helen0rz wrote: »

Edit: also can you please share the link?

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    helen0rz wrote: »

Edit: also can you please share the link?

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Don't know what the prize is now, I got a rubix cube.
    reddit.com/r/PAX/comments/1leo9c/pax_xp/

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Options
    trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    My group got cubes around midnight Sunday. Some of us were not attending today and wanted to turn it in while we could.

• Options
    Missa_cupcakeMissa_cupcake Registered User new member
    1. In the book
    2. As you walk into the wscc on lower floor
    3. 2nd floor of convention center near free play stage
    4. 3rd floor of convention center outside classic arcade
    5. 4th floor on right after you go through main entry doors toward the merchant booth
    6/7. Two in the 4th floor expo hall, at the WB booth.
    8. Console free play, 6th floor
    9. 6th floor on a column in the front half of the floor
    10. Entry level of annex. By
    The stairs going down.
    11. Third floor annex, on wall by age of empires
    12. On third floor annex, top of a side table close to #11.
    13. Sheraton 2nd floor
    14. Sheraton 3rd floor
    15. Hyatt
    16. Olive 8 3rd floor

• Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    I was able to finish mine off today. :)

bs6h86p38hlm.png
  • Options
    m4dc4pm4dc4p Registered User new member
    I've been attending PAX since 2007. Two or three years ago I started doing PAX XP and thought it was a lot of fun.

After this year, I'm kind of done with PAX XP. It hasn't changed substantially, and the fact that two QR codes were missing on Saturday (due ot vandalism) made the game more frustrating than fun.

That said, I *love* the idea of PAX XP. Can we make it better? Am I the only one who looks at the 'World Map' and thinks an awesome adventure/scavenger/AR game could be built on top of it?

Personally, I'd like to see a game that couldn't be spoiled by posting images of QR codes or where to find them on the web. A game that combines something on my phone with something location-based. A game that combines a bit of MMOG loot-hunting and puzzle solving to get a cool keychain.

Anyone else feel the same way? Post your ideas!

• Options
    CodeMonkey76CodeMonkey76 Software Developer Orem, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Maybe have different puzzles based on what order you scan the QR codes in, so that maybe you get one clue if you scan all the Tournament/Freeplay (Console/Tabletop/PC) locations in order, and another clue if you scan all the expo hall locations in order.

Maybe reserve a spot in the Omegathon for the first person to scan all XP codes?

Maybe have a drawing on Sunday for some epic swag for those that have completed all the XP codes.

Maybe give panel queue priority to those with completed XP puzzles? i.e. jump to the front of the line in any panel (with a limit on # of uses, ex: max 2 panels)?

Exclusive Pinny Arcade pins for completing XP puzzles.

Different benefits to completing the XP puzzle is what I'd like to see, beyond just getting a cheap trinket (keychain, puzzle cube)

CodeMonkey76 on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Exclusive Pinny Arcade pins for completing XP puzzles.

I have little doubt that this will be a Thing.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    I didn't even notice PAX XP this year. This is the first time I've even thought about it, so it must not have been too obvious.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    m4dc4p wrote: »
    I've been attending PAX since 2007. Two or three years ago I started doing PAX XP and thought it was a lot of fun.

After this year, I'm kind of done with PAX XP. It hasn't changed substantially, and the fact that two QR codes were missing on Saturday (due ot vandalism) made the game more frustrating than fun.

That said, I *love* the idea of PAX XP. Can we make it better? Am I the only one who looks at the 'World Map' and thinks an awesome adventure/scavenger/AR game could be built on top of it?

Personally, I'd like to see a game that couldn't be spoiled by posting images of QR codes or where to find them on the web. A game that combines something on my phone with something location-based. A game that combines a bit of MMOG loot-hunting and puzzle solving to get a cool keychain.

Anyone else feel the same way? Post your ideas!

I have to agree. The PAX XP hunt is a fun little diversion, but now that people are putting imgur albums of all 16 QR codes up on reddit within an hour after the floor opens, it kinda makes it too easy for people to "cheat". Something that involves interacting with other players would be much welcomed. A small puzzle solving thing that prevented the whole "post and scan" issue would be nice too.

26904.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    well before it was a phrase, and much easier to get.

now it's QR codes. this is a HUGE improvment over previous years. All I know is that I got my rubics cube and I'm super happy it was still in stock on monday morning.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, I'd like to see the PAX XP go back to having a little "fudge" room if you can't find the codes. While on the one hand I appreciate the idea, which is to ensure the quester visits all of the PAX locations and explores a bit, codes in some places (like Expo Hall) are INCREDIBLY difficult to find, especially if you're not up for the huge crowds there. I liked that in previous years I could get a majority of them and still figure out the phrase, whereas this year I was stressed out about finding the codes in the Expo Hall to complete my set.

I was also surprised at the locations that did NOT have codes - Main Theater, Benaroya, Raven Theater, Handheld Lounge, Queue Room, Tabletop, PAX 10, Indie MegaBooth - and amused at the places that had more than one (the lounge outside BYOC comes to mind). I also did not appreciate the codes moving around, for example Friday there was only one at the Sheraton (up at Serpent) but Saturday there was another one down by Wolfman. It would also be nice if there was an official guideline on where to find them, like they're always on PAX banners (and there are plenty of them, including hidden ones like the one by the Rockband Freeplay stage), as looking at random booth walls is really no fun at all and feels like forced advertising.

(edit)
    Oh yeah - the PAX Guidebook app died on me on Friday morning, completely. I had to delete and reinstall it to get it to load up again. Luckily I hadn't started my XP quest by then, but it certainly made me paranoid until I was done.

alegria on
    Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    SwordMageSwordMage Registered User regular
    alegria wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd like to see the PAX XP go back to having a little "fudge" room if you can't find the codes. While on the one hand I appreciate the idea, which is to ensure the quester visits all of the PAX locations and explores a bit, codes in some places (like Expo Hall) are INCREDIBLY difficult to find, especially if you're not up for the huge crowds there. I liked that in previous years I could get a majority of them and still figure out the phrase, whereas this year I was stressed out about finding the codes in the Expo Hall to complete my set.

I was also surprised at the locations that did NOT have codes - Main Theater, Benaroya, Raven Theater, Handheld Lounge, Queue Room, Tabletop, PAX 10, Indie MegaBooth - and amused at the places that had more than one (the lounge outside BYOC comes to mind). I also did not appreciate the codes moving around, for example Friday there was only one at the Sheraton (up at Serpent) but Saturday there was another one down by Wolfman. It would also be nice if there was an official guideline on where to find them, like they're always on PAX banners (and there are plenty of them, including hidden ones like the one by the Rockband Freeplay stage), as looking at random booth walls is really no fun at all and feels like forced advertising.

(edit)
    Oh yeah - the PAX Guidebook app died on me on Friday morning, completely. I had to delete and reinstall it to get it to load up again. Luckily I hadn't started my XP quest by then, but it certainly made me paranoid until I was done.

I had that issue with the Guidebook on Sunday. I ended up just downloading the PAX Guide over the existing one, which ended up keeping everything I had. Just something that may help next year.

With this being said, the weirdness of them moving is understandable. I got the Expo Hall ones when they were both on the WB booth, but it was just a few hours later that one of them had been moved. Not useful when you've gotten help from someone else.

SwordMage, aka Willa
    ---
    twitter: SwordMage86
    XBL: SwordMagelet
  • Options
    I wasn't actively looking for them, but whenever I see them I scan them. I think in the midst of going to wherever it is that you wanna go, it's really hard to find the QR code, especially when placed in a inconvenient spot (I saw the one in Annex, and I only happen to see if because it's actually at the lower part of the counter where it can be covered up when people are standing over it trying to purchase something)

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    SanDogWepsSanDogWeps Limerick Monger San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I won PAX! OK - I got all the codes. But in similar fashion to having an EverQuest 2 quest thread online, I went to reddit to find the last 3 QR locations. I will admit to grousing a couple times about the confusion caused by the Mountain Dew promotion and the PAX XP codes. Manageable, but still a mite wonky for this guy (of course, I also yell at clouds and tell leaves to get off my lawn). Between this, Buttoneering, and the Assassins Ball, I was glad for the full four days just so I could get all the meta-games in!

keyanEQ2_100x400.gif