As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lords of the Fallen] Ancient Labyrinth DLC is out.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So, the more I play this game, the more I realize...I'm not not having a lot of fun. It's surely not the difficulty, as Dark Souls is much harder. I think it's when I started to run in to enemies that could full heal themselves. And it seems once you run in to those enemies, every second enemy you fight can do it. This is a HORRIBLE mechanic in a game like this. You spend 45 seconds learning an opponent, doing the dance, timing your defensive and offensive moves, and then the game is like "LUL GUY IS INVULNERABLE AND HEALING, HAVE FUN". It's completely unrewarding, and doesn't add to the difficulty. It simply makes those enemies frustrating to fight. In some areas there are three and four different enemy types that can stop and nearly heal themselves to full, usually with iframes involved on their part.

Dark Souls used an enemies ability to heal incredibly sparingly, realizing that it was just as much an emotional mechanic for the player (specifically designed to cause frustration and a sense of despair) as it was a difficulty mechanic. It seems like Lords of the Fallen just wants every second enemy to heal, and frankly, it's not fun.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Glal wrote: »
    I've been playing a Rogue and switching up between daggers and a staff, swapping in the shield for parrying those shielded fucks. After the initial spike of the first boss (it took me forever to kill him without taking a hit, for some reason...) the game gradually got easier, especially with the Commander being a push-over... but man, once you've seen the crafting guy the game takes its gloves off again.
    Can't speak for other classes and weapon combinations, but that area is just filled with enemies that can one-shot a light-armour wearer at full health with heavier attacks, or have lightning fast attacks that stunlock you long enough for their buddies to thwomp you.

Anyone playing a parry-heavy build and has a rule of thumb for which attacks can be parried? With some of the bigger enemies it feels like I'm getting the parry timing right, yet they just keep going right through me.

My rule of thumb through that area was that anything that looks at me funny eats Gauntlet Projectiles. Flawless Force rune in the projectile gauntlet=game over. Not sure on the parries as I went through everything either dual wielding daggers/shortswords/fists or two-handing Conviction. With a light set-up most big attacks are slow enough to dodge safely.

I think the best healing enemy are the big guys with swords. If you know what you're doing, you only need to fight them once and they give a pretty clear clue about what you need to do. And I find them fun to fight, so I'm happy whenever I got to go against them. The other two healing mobs are just kind of annoying. Know that lategame you can kill at least one of the types right though its healing without any particular problems.

MrGrimoire on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The hell? I think my game just lost like an hour of progress on me. I had just beaten the prison boss and spent a bunch of time clearing up the entire prison, getting some neat weapons and upgrades, jogged to a crystal, poked it, quit the game, let Steam sync...
    Load up the game an hour later and boy, are we ready to tackle the boss!

:?

Dear cloud sync- what the fuck.

• Options
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    I've been playing a Rogue and switching up between daggers and a staff, swapping in the shield for parrying those shielded fucks. After the initial spike of the first boss (it took me forever to kill him without taking a hit, for some reason...) the game gradually got easier, especially with the Commander being a push-over... but man, once you've seen the crafting guy the game takes its gloves off again.
    Can't speak for other classes and weapon combinations, but that area is just filled with enemies that can one-shot a light-armour wearer at full health with heavier attacks, or have lightning fast attacks that stunlock you long enough for their buddies to thwomp you.

Anyone playing a parry-heavy build and has a rule of thumb for which attacks can be parried? With some of the bigger enemies it feels like I'm getting the parry timing right, yet they just keep going right through me.

My rule of thumb through that area was that anything that looks at me funny eats Gauntlet Projectiles. Flawless Force rune in the projectile gauntlet=game over. Not sure on the parries as I went through everything either dual wielding daggers/shortswords/fists or two-handing Conviction. With a light set-up most big attacks are slow enough to dodge safely.

I think the best healing enemy are the big guys with swords. If you know what you're doing, you only need to fight them once and they give a pretty clear clue about what you need to do. And I find them fun to fight, so I'm happy whenever I got to go against them. The other two healing mobs are just kind of annoying. Know that lategame you can kill at least one of the types right though its healing without any particular problems.

Yes, I know about the tyrant hearts. They are actually the least annoying of the healing enemies.

The enemies I affectionately call "The Tree Guy" and "The Fat Guy" are the worst. At least I finally figured out a reasonable trick with the tree guys:
    Drop your clone, once he turns, with a heavy weapon, you should be able to kill him in a full energy bar before he can heal.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I'm quite sad to say after about 4 hours I realized I wasn't having any fun with this game so I returned it. I was reasonably excited for it not because I needed it to be a Souls clone, but just because I love those games and I want to see more action RPGs with weighty combat or whatever you want to call it. This one just didn't do it for me though. The performance on PS4 was really bad for me. I have no problems with 30 FPS if the game maintains it, but this one was constantly going sub 30, and even more than that, the gameplay just didn't deliver for me the way I thought it would. I spent a lot of time watching people playing this on youtube and what not pre release, and I was convinced it was something I was going to enjoy, but hey, can't be right every time.

I'm just glad Amazon is the best, because I just got a full refund on it and I'm moving on. Gonna snag Bayonetta 2 to play while I wait on the next thing I'm picking up in this crazy holiday release lineup.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Yes, I know about the tyrant hearts. They are actually the least annoying of the healing enemies.

The enemies I affectionately call "The Tree Guy" and "The Fat Guy" are the worst. At least I finally figured out a reasonable trick with the tree guys:
    Drop your clone, once he turns, with a heavy weapon, you should be able to kill him in a full energy bar before he can heal.
    Honestly, that might just be a "some types of enemies are harder to fight by some playstyles" thing. Once I learned their tricks ("after leaping you can only get a couple of attacks in before they do a nasty 360 degree swipe" was a hard lesson) it wasn't really difficult to either burst through their self-healing while they were doing it or get some damage in, then move back to avoid the explosion, then finish them off, at least as a Rogue.
    On the other hand, those fuckers with shields and small swords? Not the big guys with flaming eyes that do broad swipes, the smaller ones that are more or less this game's equivalent of spear hollows? Yeah, those I still can't deal with. Their attacks come out too fast for me to parry and I've not found a reliable way to bait out their attacks to counterattack, usually when I run in and dodge around them they'll just pivot around with their shield up, then stab me the moment I get up. No joke, I've found the last several bosses easier to deal with than those guys.
    If it weren't for Stab one-shotting them (or before then, stunning them long enough for me to finish them off) I would cry every time they show up. And there's no doubt in my mind that someone is going "what, those guys? All you have to do is This Thing Rogue Playstyle Doesn't Do and they're trivial, wtf dude".

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    So, is this a more accessible Dark Souls, or can I still get stuck in a skeleton's combo and die?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    So, is this a more accessible Dark Souls, or can I still get stuck in a skeleton's combo and die?

Yes, kind of. Some of the mechanics are kind of odd, some enemies aren't as fun to fight and I really enjoy the combat but never get the feeling like I did everything right.

I regret paying full price, I'd say buy it at 40$ or below. Probably more like 29.99 based on length, polish and crashes. I'm talking ps4 crashes and bugs. Kind of inexcusable.

• Options
    Yes and yes? When you say "a more accessible Dark Souls" what aspects of it are you actually looking for?
    LoTF isn't as punishing as DS/2, but there's still plenty of "...you motherfucker" moments when the enemy pulls out a move you've not seen before, or a nasty ambush is sprung. Or you go against an enemy that feels purpose-built to counter your playstyle.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Patch 1.2 Notes
    A new patch for Lords of the Fallen was just released. It fixes the APEX DLL issue that users have encountered lately. The patch improves the game stability.

Patch notes:
    - Improved game stability
    - Advanced display settings are now saved after restart
    - Fixed Catacombs door spawn point
    - Fixed Catacombs pit issue- unfortunately, the fix does not get you out of the hole; it prevents occurrence of the issue.

We are still working on another patch that would improve other game stability & gameplay issues.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    On the other hand, those fuckers with shields and small swords? Not the big guys with flaming eyes that do broad swipes, the smaller ones that are more or less this game's equivalent of spear hollows? Yeah, those I still can't deal with. Their attacks come out too fast for me to parry and I've not found a reliable way to bait out their attacks to counterattack, usually when I run in and dodge around them they'll just pivot around with their shield up, then stab me the moment I get up. No joke, I've found the last several bosses easier to deal with than those guys.
    If it weren't for Stab one-shotting them (or before then, stunning them long enough for me to finish them off) I would cry every time they show up. And there's no doubt in my mind that someone is going "what, those guys? All you have to do is This Thing Rogue Playstyle Doesn't Do and they're trivial, wtf dude".

Hey you're right! If you put your shield up while running, you can charge into enemies and knock them back. For the shield guys you might need a heavier shield than a buckler though.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Deans wrote: »

Hey you're right! If you put your shield up while running, you can charge into enemies and knock them back. For the shield guys you might need a heavier shield than a buckler though.

The Heavy Shield you get in one of the watchtowers in Keystone Monastary does the trick. Not sure if there's a base strength requirement but I can bust through/knock them down with 12 strength and that shield equipped. I also find a quick left roll after the second thrust in their thrust-thrust-pause-thrust sequence can get you a free 2-3 hit combo in pretty reliably.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    This is on sale on gmg for $36.49 if anyone is looking to pick it up. Damn close to pulling the trigger myself.

* Note that you need to log in and to go the vip page to get the discount.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Honestly, that might just be a "some types of enemies are harder to fight by some playstyles" thing. Once I learned their tricks ("after leaping you can only get a couple of attacks in before they do a nasty 360 degree swipe" was a hard lesson) it wasn't really difficult to either burst through their self-healing while they were doing it or get some damage in, then move back to avoid the explosion, then finish them off, at least as a Rogue.

Fellow rogue. Just to be clear, it's the guys with the Kite Shields you mean, the smallest, non-skirmisher shield dudes? I found that those guys will do two quick stabs that you dodge, then a third one with longer wind-up after. So you dodge the second attack and get in a couple of hits, then back off and wait for them to combo again. Alternatively you can just punch them repeatedly in the shield to cause a guard break, though that's more risky. I didn't have any problems dodging all parts of their combo, so mileage?

Though I do agree, they are absolute pains in the ass, so most of the time I one-shot them with the Gauntlet. Flawless Force runes FTW. That being said, using magic to solve problems is definitely intended in the game's design, so by using Stab to murder them, you are dealing with them exactly as intended. Stab does make lots of things trivial, it works great on the fat crossbow dudes as well.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Nono, it's the guys with the huge, skull shields that carry short swords. They turtle behind the shields, slowly walking up to you, then attack with quick stabs, barely lowering their shield when they do, always keeping their front to you.

[edit] These assholes.
    Every time I've tried to bait an attack by running in and preemptively dodging they just held back until I stood up, then shanked me. Stab. Stab for all of them.

Glal on
  • Options
    We're on the same page, those are the ones I'm talking about too. If you roll into their 3rd stab they're open long enough for a couple of hits with a fast weapon. It has a longer wind-up and is the easiest attack of theirs to dodge. But it's still a pain. Do Stab them, it's by far the most satisfying way of dealing with them.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    my strategy for all shield dudes has been a running shield bash, hit em, repeat.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've now reached the point where I just swing my big huge heavy axe a couple of times and break through their guard. I destroy everything's poise right now. Plus, if I do take any shots as the Cleric I just pop that one ability and heal.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Is there a point in either hoarding spell/skill point crystals or points themselves? Some sort of NG thing perhaps? I have like 10 skill points just sitting around, unwilling to spend them without finding a piece of gear that justifies it, yet not really finding any gear that needs that much extra in a while now.

Also like 5 spell point crystals after I've already maxed out all of my spells. Gr. Grr I say.

• Options
    You unlock a new spell three with every new game+ and the game is designed to be played through 3 times to get all lore and items. There's also a respec option somewhere (you might have to look it up) if you're unhappy with how you've spent your attribute points.

• Options
    What do/don't you keep between playthroughs?
    A respec for NG could be fun, just because I have loads of orange gear that my Rogue would never use. Could go for a full sword&board next time and bash my way through everyone.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know how to get this to disable desktop composition when run from steam? I checked the box on the .exe in the bin folder but it's not doing anything.

Liking the game so far. Bit of translation jank present, but nothing too bad. Looks really nice, makes me wish I had a better video card. My 6950 is doing a decent job of it, but I have to turn some of the stuff off to get a decent framerate.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    I honestly don't know. The game just about fried my computer right after the last Lord, so I'm taking a small break until I've saved up for a new one.

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Ya I'm not enjoying this game much.

It's certain easier than DS... but that's not bad, it could still be an amazing regardless of difficulty.

My beef is the idiotic and unfair mechanics. I'm not sure if they were just lazy as fuck with the AI programming or what, but it seems the game tries to cover up being easier than DS by just adding bullshit unfair mechanics. DS is "hard but fair"... this is just slightly challenging with bits of "unfair" thrown in.

Things like how enemies counters/blocks/attacks feel like they are 100% tied to me pushing a button. I never felt that way in DS at all. All this really means is when you can or can't hurt an enemy is extremely strict and not fun. Early on I found some big shielded guys who must represent a "you're not read yet area"... however I still managed to cheese kill them all anyway. Which is something you can do in DS, but with a high level of skill. These derps however have their AI set so that they will always take an attack as if they blocked, no matter where you hit them. Square in the back, nope... they blocked it. Instead you just circle them mindlessly until they attack, then hit them once... repeat. Try to break their block, their recover animation is way to fast. Try to flank, they magically block without turning, etc. In DS when you meet a progress blocking enemy, you can still parry them, or be really nimble to hit them when offguard.

Also noticed they were super lazy with how projectiles like arrows work. They simply just hit you if you don't block or roll. Which is no AI at all from what I can tell. They don't make things harder really, just unfair and not fun. If I zig zag some archer, I shouldn't have to always block.

I know, it sounds like I'm bitching because the game is hard... its not. You become super OP with little effort and its not hard. I just don't like when they attempt to make a hard game by making unfair shit for the enemies.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Funny you should mention parrying, because those are the enemies I kill by parrying. It seems to only work on their light attacks, or at least I never managed to get the timing right to parry the long range stab, or the slow, overhead strike. Doesn't usually matter, since their light attack is easy to bait out.

Personally I've found it about on par with DS1/2 (DS2 more so) in the number of enemies that felt purpose-built to fuck over one particular playstyle and required me to change up my tactics to deal with them. Of course, with the different ways to approach these games not everyone will have the same experience.

• Options
    Well I found that just wielding a 2 hander and just pumping damage makes 99% of the game trivial now. Still lots of crashes, bugs and odd design decisions. Its not a terrible game... but I would have waited for a steam sale or something had I known.

Over all my biggest gripe is the idiotic amount of attacks and things that rely on "homing" mechanics. I'm not just talking projectiles, those are annoying too... but dodge rolling away from a move in a way that they didn't intend means you still get hit or barely get hit and then if there is a follow up attack you get hit. For example the guardian boss, if you side roll his attacks you get a huge amount of time to attack him when he finishes swinging. But if you roll away from him, even though it puts plenty of room to recover and then get up and move... well it wont, because his attack will "home in" and add extra distance to the animation in order to pull you and the enemy closer for it to happen. It happens both ways too and its fucking annoying, I've had my guy slide like 10 feet when I should have missed an attack but the game wanted me to land the hit. It just ruins what could have been a fine combat engine. I'm not sure if it goes along with the shitty AI or something else that they must have taken short cuts on when programming it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    lodianlodian Coffee Grindhouse Titan VRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I got bored with the game world rather quickly. There is not much of it, and I didn't find it particularly interesting - beyond first exploring the castle, which isn't very large in and of itself. You get the impression when you first play the game, that the castle is the introduction, that you will surely venture out into forsaken lands, or descend into maddening, labyrinthine catacombs. But that really never comes - you spend most of your time in the castle, its large basement and on its respective grounds.

Then you venture out into the 'other world' which has a nice introduction, but is quickly monotonous and uninspired.

lodian on
    camo_sig2.pngPSN: aeroplane22 || Steam: kozmikx
  • Options
    lodian wrote: »
    I got bored with the game world rather quickly. There is not much of it, and I didn't find it particularly interesting - beyond first exploring the castle, which isn't very large in and of itself. You get the impression when you first play the game, that the castle is the introduction, that you will surely venture out into forsaken lands, or descend into maddening, labyrinthine catacombs. But that really never comes - you spend most of your time in the castle, its large basement and on its respective grounds.

Then you venture out into the 'other world' which has a nice introduction, but is quickly monotonous and uninspired.

I just beat the game... and yup, that sums up the game world. The amount of back tracking is just silly once you realize how frikkin small the game is. It was 12 hours for my play through, did a lot of extra searching probably, it was an ok length though no complaints there. Just the world... they say goto the citadel or old castle... all looks about the same.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Yeah I kind of gave up on the game because the world is super boring.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Lords of the Fallen's first expansion, titled Ancient Labyrinth, is coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC sometime this winter, developer CI Games announced today.

Ancient Labyrinth will have an emphasis on puzzle solving, exploration, and new enemy encounters. The DLC will introduce The Library, a new puzzle-filled location that will deeper explore the history of the game's protagonist, Harkyn. Players will also be faced with battling a magical ancient Lord, whose powers will constantly change throughout the fight.

The DLC will include a new demon-focused quest, as well as new side-quests and NPCs. Additionally, Ancient Labyrinth will introduce a new puzzle-based mechanic, along with new weapons and armor.

Link: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/06/lords-of-the-fallen-ancient-labyrinth-dlc-announced

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I hope they put more focus on the environment in the DLC, the world feels too safe in the game standard. There are some traps, but nothing even approaching Sen's Fortress. Heck, there were some places I thought were traps but weren't (pit with planks over it).

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    "go ye to the graveyard and kill ye the lords of demonkind ye shallst find there"

"no way dude I'm gonna practice with these cool new knuckledusters I found in ye chest over there cheers l8r"

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    I hope they put more focus on the environment in the DLC, the world feels too safe in the game standard. There are some traps, but nothing even approaching Sen's Fortress. Heck, there were some places I thought were traps but weren't (pit with planks over it).

I think they are if you are wearing heavy armor.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    boosterburnboosterburn Registered User regular
    I am about 3/4's through the game now. I am having a lot of fun with it. It is easier and more accessible then dark souls on a basic playthrough, but there are certain ways to beat bosses that give better loot, and those challenges are hard. The game actually reminds me a lot of darkstalkers. I like the little changes from dark souls, like the experience multipliers. I am playing on PS4 and it has been stable for me with no crashes, but some minor graphical glitches. My friend is also playing on PS4 though and he has had several crashes.

• Options
    Rogue playthrough: complete! That was fun. Except maybe the stretch riiight before the end when they threw in 4 new enemy types, any one of them that could kill me in a single combo, many of them in spots where they could not be ambushed. Rough way to learn new tells, game.
    I'll second @boosterburn, the boss challenges can be pretty fun, I ended up completing all of them. The one that gave me the most trouble by far was the first boss, all the others were almost trivial in comparison.

I think it's time for a Warrior run. I saw so many delicious Great weapons on my playthrough, tempting me. I can't recreate my DS2 dual-Ultra Greatsword run due to not being able to single-hand the biggest weapons, but I can come close!

• Options
    So I'm having a lot more fun with this now. I restarted as a medium armor wearer and have been focusing more on spells. I also put a focus on exploring a bit more, and was able to find Heirloom, a ridiculous hammer that is a lot like the drake tail sword in DaS1. Basically it starts out with a huge damage number, but has no scaling, so it's great early game as a starter weapon. I'm going full faith/magic on this build, and will probably end up using Clawfinger as my scaling weapon once my faith is high enough.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    My hat off to you if you can make Clawfinger work, it was far too slow for me. Also, its special (1H heavy that summons a phantom scythe under your target) would lock up my game, so I had to drop it, just to stop myself from using it by accident.

[edit] Also, there's a way to upgrade Heirloom to do 120 damage in that area, if you've not discovered it yet (there's no real hints to it, you just get a random interaction option if you have the weapon).

Glal on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I actually spoiled myself on that on accident. When I found the Heirloom I went to look up if it was what I thought it was (Lord's Draketail Sword), and someone in one of the threads was like "Down in the mines you can upgrade it!", so I went searching and found it.

The upgrade does a couple of things. Ups the damage from 85 to 120, splits the damage from pure phys to 30 phys/30 fire/30 magic/30 lightning, and gives it some very cool particle effects.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    The game sort of hints that the weapon is intended to be used against the boss in that area, but I honestly found it easier to just use my normal weapon. But, as you said, it has really good damage and really low stat requirements, so maybe it's meant to be a crutch in case the boss is a brick wall for you (in DS I ended up using the Drake sword against Quelaag, because my primary weapon was fire enchanted and did literally 5 damage per hit. Whoops).

• Options
    With how quickly you can get it from the start of the game, if you know how, I just think Heirloom is meant to be that "I just started a character, regardless of stat priority, I need a high damage weapon, I can get Heirloom and upgrade it in <30 minutes" situation. I'm nearing a faith number where the Qamar staff is actually going to do more damage than Heirloom, and I'll be switching to that when it does...but up until now, Heirloom has been phenomenal overall. The damage output it brings early game really smooths over some rougher patches of progression (especially around your first incursion through a rift).