As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Solforge: Set 3 Secrets of Solis Out Now!

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Ah you're right. That was it.

I could have won but I didn't know that little detail.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    Since I have a good card pool already from being a backer, I have tried just playing around with odd theme decks recently and it's been a bunch of fun.

My oddest experience with it was yesterday. On the Official forums they run a format called un-heroic where nothing above rare is allowed in the deck build. I decided to make the opposite version of that. I built a Uterra/Alloyn deck that contained no cards below Heroic rarity. Honestly it's not a fantastic deck, however here's what started happening. I played 6 matches with it, on 3 of them the opponent conceded within the first few turns. It wasn't like I was sporting major card advantage or anything... people just seemed to see almost all legendary cards come out for 3 turns in a row and just quit. in the other matches I was 1-2 . Why bother to play if you're just going to concede as soon as you see cards you don't like?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    People are silly geese, Snarf. I may as well concede if I see an Everflame Phoenix because I can never beat that card in a million years, but I don't, because games are fun.

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    if anyone wants someone to play, feel free to add me on steam>maguano2

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Yeah if anyone wants to add me I'd be down for games. My decks are poop though :[

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Another neat little detail is that if you replace an existing creature with a new one, the new one has summoning sickness.

This can be useful in causing a non fight in a lane where an opponent thought there would be a fight.

(I got another Xerath in a basic pack. I can confirm that the savants and sorcerers get his powers. Pretty darn neat!)

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I got a Frankenbaum. Don't have many abominations to support him though.

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    I love the artwork on Frankenbaum

• Options
    I don't think the current card set has enough good abominations to support him, really.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    qtmVmh0.jpg

you can take away the win/loss record and rewards, but you can't take the sore loser out of waiting for the match to time out. I guess.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, right now there's nothing to prevent shitheels from doing that. Which is why I don't like chess clock-style timing for games like these.

Duel of Champions has two-minute turns, if you're AFK for two turns in a row you auto-lose.

edit: apparently they're considering five minute turns, but that's really really long. Since you dump your hand each turn you don't need to spend as much time thinking about future moves like you do in, say, DoC, and two minutes is just fine there.

Echo on
  • Options
    Oh good, if the timer reaches 0 nothing happens.

http://i.imgur.com/CIBio8W.jpg

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    Played this for a couple of hours yesterday.

My thoughts:

- 30:00 minute timer for each side is excessive. Games last far too long for my taste.

- I have no idea how you earn rewards. I played a couple of games vs. random opponents and lost both games as I have about 0 cards to choose from and I'm playing vs. what seems to be veterans. Zero rewards for losing a 20 minute game feels bad man.

- No resource system/play any 2 cards per turn. Feels like it restricts and simplifies strategy. There's no hand/card management. No balancing a deck of higher and lower cost creatures/spells.

- Board/battle aspects. Also simplified. Creatures attack every turn with no chance to plan strategic attacks.

So far I'm not really a fan.

• Options
    Currently the only rewards are daily login, first win and third win of the day. You can do the wins against an easy AI.
    No resource system/play any 2 cards per turn. Feels like it restricts and simplifies strategy. There's no hand/card management. No balancing a deck of higher and lower cost creatures/spells.

A lof of the strategy is choosing what two actions you want. You can play something that's good right now, or you can play for the longer run and play something that's less good right now but level the card up for later instead. Trust me, there's lots of hard decisions there.

• Options
    I played Kibler 5 or 6 times at PAX east and he trounced me every time while spending most of his attention on his dinner. Up until that point much of what was going on looked like random luck to me, but watching him dismantle everyone he played was skill not luck. I was still learning the game and working under the assumption that it was important to play what was good now to get an advantage. I learned that it's much more important to know your deck, and your win conditions. Sometimes Ignoring a creature for the first 3 turns is a totally valid strategy, you've got 100 life... use it up.

Almost every card is situational and there are generally no outright better cards, just better cards to play right now. A deepbranch prowler might be an awesome turn 1 creature you'll probably start the game off with a 2 for 1 exchange. However you'll pay for that later in the game.

• Options
    Yeah, there's a lot of decision-making when making your deck. Creatures that are good at level 1-2 for early aggression but suck at level 3, vs something that's the other way, etc etc.

• Options
    or instead of focusing your deck, making it varied. and when you see what deck you're fighting, choose and level up only cards that are the counters to that deck

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Shardplate Mutant + Furious Roar on turn one (went second) = 11/11 out on turn one. Aww yeah.

...and then only two cards per draw until it's gone. But it's a pretty massive pain to deal with that early. Especially if I can toss Breakthrough on it too.

edit: today's login reward: a Metasculpt. Woo!

Echo on
  • Options
    Wow, just got a Zimus the Undying as my daily log in reward.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Is there any actual point to factions? Like, if I run a deck of only Alloyin, or a mix of some number of factions, is there any reward/penalty?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Is there any actual point to factions? Like, if I run a deck of only Alloyin, or a mix of some number of factions, is there any reward/penalty?

Generally speaking, factions synergize internally (Avatars are the most obvious) but prop up each other's weaknesses.

There's no inherent bonus or penalty.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I wish there was something to do with extras at this point. I've got 20+ copies of some cards.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    That should be a feature in the next patch, some sort of conversion system for cards you have more than 3 of.

• Options
    That should be a feature in the next patch, some sort of conversion system for cards you have more than 3 of.

Not the next one, I don't think, but I believe they're planning on it by the end of the year.

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Generally speaking, factions synergize internally (Avatars are the most obvious) but prop up each other's weaknesses.

There's no inherent bonus or penalty.

Huh. That's weird.

As an aside, I'm wondering how this game will stand up to Hex, a more customizable, RPG-like system, and Hearth, which is prettier and (seemingly) less complex. I feel like this game needs a visual update already.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »

Not the next one, I don't think, but I believe they're planning on it by the end of the year.

Actually I think on a stream they said they were trying for the next one for the exchange system. Trading is the thing coming by end of the year.

• Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    Bah. I now have more Frankenbaums than I do abominations.

Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options

Well, your deck can contain at most two factions.

Some specific cards work better based on how many other cards you have of 'their' faction. (The avatars)

Also Uterra packmasters.

Speaking of Uterra, I am really liking Uterra as far as a mono build goes. With dryads, echo wisps, packmasters, and ferocious roar, you can easily snowball out of control.

A-Puck wrote: »

How is that even possible? There are like 8 different abominations, many of which are common!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anybody else playing in the big reddit based tournament tonight? I know I don't have a shot but there are Door prizes! (I won a random door prize for some gold in the first one)

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Vorpal wrote: »

How is that even possible? There are like 8 different abominations, many of which are common!

Comedic exaggeration.

A-Puck on
  • Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    So, I'm trying to put together some sort of Alloyin/Tempys deck, and I have absolutely no background in card games. Right now I'm trying to do something with Firefist Uranti, an everflame phoenix, a couple of technosmiths and the various alloyin attack buffing cards. Could you fine folks give me some pointers?

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    From now on, every deck I make will be mono-color + 3 technosmiths, 3 cypien augmentations, and 3 energy surges.

Edit: Oh, also 3 tech upgrades.

So not really mono-color at all.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    All my mono decks include 3 epidemics.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kaorti wrote: »
    So, I'm trying to put together some sort of Alloyin/Tempys deck, and I have absolutely no background in card games. Right now I'm trying to do something with Firefist Uranti, an everflame phoenix, a couple of technosmiths and the various alloyin attack buffing cards. Could you fine folks give me some pointers?

Alloyin specializes in armor and levelling more cards than normal/having more cards than normal.
    Tempys is very good at direct damage spells, and aggressive creatures that can do a rush and put more damage through than normal.

Alloyin tends to be more of a late game faction and tempys more of an early game faction. That doesn't mean you can't blend the two, of course.

A lot of this game is choosing which cards to level. If you have too many cards that need to be levelled to be any good in your deck, you will struggle if you get a bad draw. On the other hand, you also want to not have no cards which are good late game.

I don't know what your card base is like, but Alloyin does have several good 'mass' attack buff cards: alloyin general, the tactician that buffs everyone when he is in the center lane (there is an augmentation that makes your character in the center lane stronger and at higher levels it is free to play!). I prefer matrix wardens over munitions drones. Tempys also has some useful attack buff cards. You're quite right that a firefist uranti with attack buffs can be pretty imposing. I don't have the cards to really pull it off myself.

the alloyin assassin's are a pretty decent filler creature card. Decent at L1, extremely strong L2, reasonable L3.

Also consider firestorm. Uranti firefist has high health. He gets to attack twice, essentially. Firestorm might help him clear out more creatures.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So the deck that won the 256 person Tournament last night didn't have a single legendary in it... that's a pretty good sign!

Here was the winning deck:
    3 Lightning Spark
    3 Flameshaper Savant
    3 Static Shock
    3 Epidemic
    3 Darkshaper Savant
    3 Master of Elements
    3 Uranti Bolt
    3 Magma Hound
    3 Cull the Weak
    3 Grimgaunt Predator

I made it to the second round, where I lost to a much more experienced player 2-1. Although I wasn't playing my best deck, more going for a unique one... basically Zombies and Xrath so everything kills in one shot.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So the deck that won the 256 person Tournament last night didn't have a single legendary in it... that's a pretty good sign!

3 Lightning Spark
    3 Flameshaper Savant
    3 Static Shock
    3 Epidemic
    3 Darkshaper Savant
    3 Master of Elements
    3 Uranti Bolt
    3 Magma Hound
    3 Cull the Weak
    3 Grimgaunt Predator

I made it to the second round, where I lost to a much more experienced player 2-1. Although I wasn't playing my best deck, more going for a unique one... basically Zombies and Xrath so everything kills in one shot.

Yep, CCG mechanics stand firm. Removal is key, don't waste cards on pants unless there's evasion (which there isn't really in this game.)

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    So I pledged $100 on kickstarter for this but haven't used the code yet. Anyone here kickstart it? Is the promo, packs and such any good?

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

3 Lightning Spark
    3 Flameshaper Savant
    3 Static Shock
    3 Epidemic
    3 Darkshaper Savant
    3 Master of Elements
    3 Uranti Bolt
    3 Magma Hound
    3 Cull the Weak
    3 Grimgaunt Predator

Yep, CCG mechanics stand firm. Removal is key, don't waste cards on pants unless there's evasion (which there isn't really in this game.)

"pants"?

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

3 Lightning Spark
    3 Flameshaper Savant
    3 Static Shock
    3 Epidemic
    3 Darkshaper Savant
    3 Master of Elements
    3 Uranti Bolt
    3 Magma Hound
    3 Cull the Weak
    3 Grimgaunt Predator

"pants"?

Cards that don't do anything except boost other cards (+X/+X).

• Options
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    So I pledged $100 on kickstarter for this but haven't used the code yet. Anyone here kickstart it? Is the promo, packs and such any good?

With that level of backing you'll probably get like 25 boosters and a few faction decks of your choice plus $100 in credit in their store to buy more stuff. I'd start logging in to get my daily rewards now just to build up my collection and you can save the credit for when you want to spend it or there's a sale.