Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Solforge: Set 3 Secrets of Solis Out Now!

1356733

Posts

  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    Wyvern wrote: »
    The actual effect on deck construction is much more pronounced here, though. Mana costs limit what you can practically put into a deck. You can't build a 60-card Magic deck out of nothing but giant mega-strong Screw You monsters because most of them will cost so much. You're forced to mix cheaper, lower-impact cards in there too. In Solforge you get to play your best cards all the time without restriction.

    Yeah, that's what I was getting at.

    There are plenty of cards in the starter decks that I'll never use again when I have those clearly better cards.

    But apart from that issue I'm really enjoying the design of the game. There are a bunch of cards I already want because I can spot fun synergies and chains you can get rolling.

    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    Sparkblade Assassin (Alloyin 4/5) gets really nice levels 2-3.

    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    Mediocre at level 3, but incredible at level 2. I avoid using cards without abilities as much as I can, but I do love that one.

  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    I'm a big fan of milling my deck, so I'm looking at Alloyin/Nekrum stuff. Alloyin has plenty of card draw, and I love that Tech-something that lets you discard a card on your hand to level it up when you play it.

    Nekrum has some really nice removal. Bonescythe Reaver is great - at level 3 it destroys a level 1-2 when you play it. I like Gloomreaper Witch too (destroy something with attack >= 7), but unless you can level her early stuff gets too big for her to use that ability. So hence the Alloyin stuff.

    And Blight Walker is an excellent targeted removal.

    Well, now to go beat on the AI for my third win reward.

    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    14/15 is solidly average at level 3.

    Don't underestimate vanilla creatures. One of the biggest boons to my Uterra deck was finding Deepwood Boar Rider -- 16/8 level two? Yes please.

  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    How does card draw even work in this game? I have trouble seeing how it would be useful, since you discard your hand every turn anyway.

    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    How does card draw even work in this game? I have trouble seeing how it would be useful, since you discard your hand every turn anyway.

    Well, presumably there's always a card that would help you THE MOST in any given situation. Getting card draw free or off your initial play lets you go diving for those situational cards better.

    What is this I don't even.
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    More options are good, of course. There are also a decent number of Free spells that reward card draw.

    Also, card draw is either Free itself (Energy Surge after level 1) or attached to a body (Metamind Adept/Ghox).

  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The most recent all-cards community tournament was won by a card-draw/spell-spam deck:

    Alloyin
    2 x Ghox, Metamind Paragon
    3 x Energy Prison
    2 x Metasculpt
    3 x Energy Surge
    Tempys
    3 x Master of Elements
    3 x Static Shock
    3 x Firestorm
    3 x Flameshaper Savant
    3 x Uranti Bolt
    2 x Disintegrate
    3 x Lightning Spark

  • LucedesLucedes i'm not real, and i deny Registered User regular
    card draw is not particularly good unless you also get something else to go with it, since any card takes up your play.
    if your straight card draw wants to pull you ahead in terms of card advantage, you need to draw a card with it that's worth at least two other cards.

    metamind whatshisface is a 5/4 with card draw at lv. 1, and he's pretty good because he has a decent body and gives you more chances to see your high-level cards or better cards.

    as i see it, the game is entirely and purely about card advantage. since the resource (cards per turn) is capped at two, barring free cards or special circumstances, you need to find ways to make each card count for more than one card. there are a lot of ways to do this, too. echowisp makes two bodies, and will often trade with two other creatures. the savants give you bonus effects for casting spells. gloomreaper witch and bonescythe reaper are often straight-up two for ones. anything that kills an opposing creature and lives makes your opponent commit a card or a fraction of a card, and that's advantage. keep advantage long enough, and the game is over.

  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    That's sort of the style of deck I've been toying with, but I go Alloyin/Necro.

    Spells are tricky to figure out how to use. I think some of them are obviously bad traps and wastes of a card. The good ones are still worthless if played at the right time, but often better than a creature you could have played.

    Alloyin's discard and level really helps with getting some of those spells that are crappy at early levels up to a functional point before you waste an entire play on them.

    What is this I don't even.
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    To speak on the earlier thing about other CCG's having a cost to their cards. I used to be heavily into tournament play for MTG and I could almost always guess what my opponent would play based on the amount of mana they had which let me plan out my next few moves. It was also a way to bluff or intimidate the opponent, lots of mind game type stuff. "Why did he leave X amount of mana open? What is he planning? He could have this, this, this, and this card in his hand that fit the deck and could play off that mana".

    It is basically impossible to have any idea what the opponent is gonna play that turn in Solforge. I have a general idea of the kind of cards they could play based on their kind of deck but that is about it. Not that this is a bad thing, just something I need to get used to.

    So where can I find a full list of the cards in the game and how many of a single card can I put into a deck?

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Echo
  • VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    I still don't get how you level up. Like...you play a level 1 card and it turns into level 2 and goes into your discard pile. then at some point you level up and can get your level 2 cards.

    What exactly determines when those level 2 cards can start showing up in your hand?

    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Spells are tricky to figure out how to use. I think some of them are obviously bad traps and wastes of a card. The good ones are still worthless if played at the right time, but often better than a creature you could have played.

    Do you have some examples? I get the impression that spells in general are valued less in Solforge than most CCGs, but I haven't quite put my finger on why yet.

    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    Yeah, been wondering about that - does it have a draw stack, or does it just draw a card at random? Feels like I've had level 2 stuff turn up two turns after I played the level 1 card.

    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Stragint wrote: »
    To speak on the earlier thing about other CCG's having a cost to their cards. I used to be heavily into tournament play for MTG and I could almost always guess what my opponent would play based on the amount of mana they had which let me plan out my next few moves. It was also a way to bluff or intimidate the opponent, lots of mind game type stuff. "Why did he leave X amount of mana open? What is he planning? He could have this, this, this, and this card in his hand that fit the deck and could play off that mana".

    It is basically impossible to have any idea what the opponent is gonna play that turn in Solforge. I have a general idea of the kind of cards they could play based on their kind of deck but that is about it. Not that this is a bad thing, just something I need to get used to.

    So where can I find a full list of the cards in the game and how many of a single card can I put into a deck?

    Three. Here.
    Vorpal wrote: »
    I still don't get how you level up. Like...you play a level 1 card and it turns into level 2 and goes into your discard pile. then at some point you level up and can get your level 2 cards.

    What exactly determines when those level 2 cards can start showing up in your hand?

    As soon as you play a card, the leveled up version goes into your discard pile. You level up every four turns. When you level up your discard pile (which is 20 cards, plus or minus any extra card draw) is shuffled back into your deck (the remaining 10 cards) and you draw from that.

    admanb on
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Echo wrote: »
    Yeah, been wondering about that - does it have a draw stack, or does it just draw a card at random? Feels like I've had level 2 stuff turn up two turns after I played the level 1 card.

    Every four turns, when you level up, your discard pile (i.e. all your upgraded cards) are shuffled back into your deck. So if you play your only copy of a creature at level 1 on turn 4, you can draw it again on turn 5 as a level 2 while it's still alive. But you'll never see it as a level 1 again.

    I have no idea what happens within a four-turn phase, though. Sometimes it feels like the cards you throw out without playing get shuffled straight into the library again rather than being sent to a discard pile, but I'm not sure.

    Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Vorpal wrote: »
    I still don't get how you level up. Like...you play a level 1 card and it turns into level 2 and goes into your discard pile. then at some point you level up and can get your level 2 cards.

    What exactly determines when those level 2 cards can start showing up in your hand?

    Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it works like this:

    Every time you play a card, a higher level (or same level if it is already level 3) gets put into the discard pile. Any cards you don't play also go into the discard pile. Every time you level up, you put any cards remaining in your deck into the discard pile, shuffle it and then start drawing anew.

    E: Yeah, from the wiki:
    Example: During the first four turns, Player 2 will draw 20 cards and play 8 cards. Therefore, at the end of turn 4, Player 2 will have 8 Level 2 cards in his discard pile and 12 Level 1 cards in his discard pile. Player 2 then mixes these cards together with the 10 Level 1 cards that were not drawn during the first four turns. All of these 30 cards are shuffled together to form a new draw pile. This means that on turn 5, Player 2 has a chance of drawing some of the 8 Level 2 cards in his deck. (Note that before turn 5, it is not currently possible to draw a Level 2 card.) Turns 5 and 9 are very important milestones because they are the first turns on which it is possible to draw a Level 2 (or Level 3) card. Therefore, the game UI includes a "level up" indicator that measures how close a player is to the next re-shuffle. (That is, the indicator completely filled up at the end of turn 4 and the end of turn 8.)

    Edit: And I was far too slow, as expected :)

    Vic on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Someone needs to make an absurdly draw-heavy deck and answer the question:

    What happens if you draw an extra 11 cards between level-ups?

    Garthor on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Did my first match against another player. The person didn't use a single card that wasn't Heroic or Legendary rarity.

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Jesus. I just played against a guy who played Xerath four times in a row. And then Doomwing twice in a row.

    I'm going to start insta-conceding from some of these games, I swear. Multi-target board clear flat-out doesn't exist in the starter decks, so past a certain point it's impossible to reverse momentum anyway.

    Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Echo
  • VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Does that mean people are spending a ton of money on the game? I would think heroic or legendary cards would be extremely rare.

    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I believe there was a closed beta for Kickstarter people and no wipe for open beta, so most people in the game have played for a lot longer than us newbies.

    Also, is the timer for the daily login different from the timer for first win of the day? I first played last night, and early this afternoon I got one but not the other.

    Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »
    Does that mean people are spending a ton of money on the game? I would think heroic or legendary cards would be extremely rare.

    The Kickstarter backers and people who paid for early access got 40 Normal boosters (I think it was supposed to be 20 but an error doubled it and they just went with it) which gives you a pretty healthy collection when combined with a couple weeks of daily rewards. If people have also spent their $x of store credit (I have $70, but I'm waiting until tournaments are running) they could be even more flush.

  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Christ, 40 normal boosters? Why even bother letting the rest of us scrubs in? That's at least 120 rares and epics to my, like, four.

    Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I believe there was a closed beta for Kickstarter people and no wipe for open beta, so most people in the game have played for a lot longer than us newbies.

    Also, is the timer for the daily login different from the timer for first win of the day? I first played last night, and early this afternoon I got one but not the other.

    I think all the dailies trigger 22 hours after you last got that daily. Without a timer somewhere it's a pretty unclear system.

  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of milling my deck, so I'm looking at Alloyin/Nekrum stuff. Alloyin has plenty of card draw, and I love that Tech-something that lets you discard a card on your hand to level it up when you play it.

    Nekrum has some really nice removal. Bonescythe Reaver is great - at level 3 it destroys a level 1-2 when you play it. I like Gloomreaper Witch too (destroy something with attack >= 7), but unless you can level her early stuff gets too big for her to use that ability. So hence the Alloyin stuff.

    And Blight Walker is an excellent targeted removal.

    Well, now to go beat on the AI for my third win reward.

    There's a stronger card - 1/8 wall that activates to do the same thing. And at level 3 it's just straight level and keep in hand.

    Energy Surge is OP, imo. Ancestral Recall 2.0.
    admanb wrote: »
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I believe there was a closed beta for Kickstarter people and no wipe for open beta, so most people in the game have played for a lot longer than us newbies.

    Also, is the timer for the daily login different from the timer for first win of the day? I first played last night, and early this afternoon I got one but not the other.

    I think all the dailies trigger 22 hours after you last got that daily. Without a timer somewhere it's a pretty unclear system.

    It's 22 - I peeked into their forums trying to figure it out and there's a dev post.

    Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    I wish the UI for the PC version wasn't just a quick tablet port.

    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    If Energy Surge wasn't free at 2+ it would be terrible.

    If it was free at 1 it would be busted.

    admanb on
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    edited August 2013
    Game offline right now or something?

    edit: works now, guess they're wanged.

    Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    admanb wrote: »
    If Energy Surge wasn't free at 2+ it would be terrible.

    If it was free at 1 it would be busted.

    The number of cases where I will not play a level 1 energy surge (Or technomancer it - I've done that a couple times) are about... nil. The level 2/3 versions are that insane. Edit: Actually, Technomancer 2/3 are pretty good too, so doing it that way is REALLY good.

    If I fire a level 2 and a level 3 in one turn, I pretty much win right there (Hilariously, I once fired a level 2, and then immediately got the level 3 off it. I was quite pleased.)

    If I had a mono-type deck, I would go dual JUST to add 3x energy surge.

    Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I wish I had 3xSteelforged Avatar so I could make mono-Alloyin card draw.

  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    Game seems horribly wanged right now, can't even start an online game.

    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    SolforgeSupport
    @SolforgeSupport
    Servers are down for approx 5 minutes. Thank you for being patient.

    3:07 PM - 26 Aug 13

    admanb on
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    Yeah, works now.

    I need to get better at not doing battle as my last thing. Plenty of missed opportunities to do one battle to clear a slot for myself and then play a card.

    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I can't figure out how to play against real people with my custom deck. I try to go into create game but it wont let me add/use my custom made deck with the cards i got. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? Also is there a way to trade cards or anything? If there is I don't see it.

    Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Yeah, works now.

    I need to get better at not doing battle as my last thing. Plenty of missed opportunities to do one battle to clear a slot for myself and then play a card.

    not sure if you know but you can replace creatures also. so if all your lanes are full and you draw something better you can attack and then just replace the dude without having to run it into something.


    elimination: are you seeing the decks in the deck builder slots? can you load it in the deckbuilder?

  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Yeah, works now.

    I need to get better at not doing battle as my last thing. Plenty of missed opportunities to do one battle to clear a slot for myself and then play a card.

    not sure if you know but you can replace creatures also. so if all your lanes are full and you draw something better you can attack and then just replace the dude without having to run it into something.


    elimination: are you seeing the decks in the deck builder slots? can you load it in the deckbuilder?

    Yeah I can load it in the deck builder but not in the create game. I dont know what I am doing wrong here, is there some kind of restriction on what cards I can put in my deck or something that I am not seeing?

    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    admanb wrote: »
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I believe there was a closed beta for Kickstarter people and no wipe for open beta, so most people in the game have played for a lot longer than us newbies.

    Also, is the timer for the daily login different from the timer for first win of the day? I first played last night, and early this afternoon I got one but not the other.

    I think all the dailies trigger 22 hours after you last got that daily. Without a timer somewhere it's a pretty unclear system.

    I think they're on individual timers, it's kind of hard to tell since the servers are kind of wonky sometimes, but I had to wait a while to get my first win/3 wins todays. not sure if that just had to do with the servers borking though.

    Edit: yeah they're individual https://solforgegame.com/forum/general-discussion/daily-free-to-play-rewards/

    Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Yeah, works now.

    I need to get better at not doing battle as my last thing. Plenty of missed opportunities to do one battle to clear a slot for myself and then play a card.

    not sure if you know but you can replace creatures also. so if all your lanes are full and you draw something better you can attack and then just replace the dude without having to run it into something.


    elimination: are you seeing the decks in the deck builder slots? can you load it in the deckbuilder?

    Yeah I can load it in the deck builder but not in the create game. I dont know what I am doing wrong here, is there some kind of restriction on what cards I can put in my deck or something that I am not seeing?


    not that i am aware of. supposedly a few people from the closed beta had bugs where they could load decks that contained cards they didn't own (since things were pseudo-wiped). im assuming you tried all the obvious stuff like reloading the game client/logging out and logging in. any luck with the support forums one the official site? i apologize i'm not more help

Sign In or Register to comment.