Options

[Tech] thread - Galaxy Gear is bad

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    I'm getting more and more disappointed with android's game offerings.

I've honestly really only played a Chess game and a Scrabble ripoff on my phone.

Oh, and then used one of the dosbox ports to play Jagged Alliance, Xcom and Master of Magic on my phone

but I don't think i've even looked at the actual android games market

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    SCUMMVM has an android port.

It works really well.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I've never played much on my android phone mostly because for some reason even the most basic games turn the processor into those little coils inside of a toaster.

I had to play The Room with a battery pack plugged in.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    I actually find multitouch screens to be only barely useful for anything other than a puzzle or strategy game anyway.

Wish there was a good 2 player Go thing to put on my N7

The real problem with android's games is the Android Market being shit at surfacing actual high quality products. You can only sort by top selling or top grossing free games and it's all totally gross.

Though I guess it's still better than having to use Itunes, IMO. Last time I installed that shit I uninstalled it an hour later because I find it's UI uselessly obtuse. That and that stupid service that steals focus from everything every few hours to check for updates or whatever.

Uriel on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Yeah my nexus 4 has a design defect which causes it to get super hot

Just makes me glad I got an iOS tablet

Best of both worlds.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    mcp wrote: »
    I'm getting more and more disappointed with android's game offerings.

I've honestly really only played a Chess game and a Scrabble ripoff on my phone.

Oh, and then used one of the dosbox ports to play Jagged Alliance, Xcom and Master of Magic on my phone

but I don't think i've even looked at the actual android games market

There's a few gems here and there, and anything Kairosoft will destroy me. And speaking of Scrabble, there's a game called Wordiest that's kinda fun.

I've been playing Tiny Death Star, but I've already unlocked all the non-Imperial levels so I'll probably uninstall it. Clash of Clans was interesting, but my battery life took a noticeable hit just having it installed. o.O

工事中
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Boy, I sure wish developers would not forget that 3GS iphones exist. Threes is lots of fun, but it literally takes 30+ seconds to launch while it plays the tiny letters-come-in animation, and it can take 5+ seconds to do a single move. I have no idea what it's doing behind the scenes; disabling gamecenter seems to have helped, but there is no excuse for a game this graphically simple to be this jerky, or to crash as often as it does.

Still, they have a tech support email address, so I've emailed them to see what happens.

(see also, for instance: Pivvot -vs- Duet; former maxes out at ~8fps, drops to 2fps every so often, and was completely unplayable until I disabled replays) -- Duet, despite being prettier, never skips at all. I think that's because Duet is native, whereas Pivvot is Unity, and the overhead from that's what slays it).

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    As much as I've been pining for a Thinkpad Yoga, a coworker made a really good argument for the Surface Pro... basically having it as a tablet in addition to a laptop..

Hmmm...

I use my TPY as a tablet a lot, just depends how you use tablets. For my usecase of sitting on the couch or bed and watching movies or dicking around on the internet, the TPY works great.

Hell, I spent most of my weekend playing roller coaster tycoon on it with the digitizer while lounging on the couch. I also wouldn't want to go to a 10" screen, the 12.5" on the TPY @ 1080p is already pushing the bounds of too small at 125% scaling. If you go TPY probably buy a bigger digitizer pen though, as the one in there is nice for the you always have it part, but kinda eh for general use. I haven't used the touch/type covers, but I doubt they'd be as nice as the Lenovo keys which have a very nice, smooth action with a good scissor switch click even though the travel is a bit short. Trackpad is nice as well once you get used to it.

Overall I think the TPY is perhaps a bit more toward laptop on the laptop/tablet continuum, but i think that point is a more useful device overall. Also you can dump a huge SSD into it as it takes normal 2.5" 7mm drives.

@Knight_ --

What configuration did you get yours with? I swear, it seems like putting in 8GB RAM + the digitizer screen jacks the cost up something fierce.

He/Him | "We who believe in freedom cannot rest." - Dr. Johnetta Cole, 7/22/2024
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    As much as I've been pining for a Thinkpad Yoga, a coworker made a really good argument for the Surface Pro... basically having it as a tablet in addition to a laptop..

Hmmm...

I use my TPY as a tablet a lot, just depends how you use tablets. For my usecase of sitting on the couch or bed and watching movies or dicking around on the internet, the TPY works great.

Hell, I spent most of my weekend playing roller coaster tycoon on it with the digitizer while lounging on the couch. I also wouldn't want to go to a 10" screen, the 12.5" on the TPY @ 1080p is already pushing the bounds of too small at 125% scaling. If you go TPY probably buy a bigger digitizer pen though, as the one in there is nice for the you always have it part, but kinda eh for general use. I haven't used the touch/type covers, but I doubt they'd be as nice as the Lenovo keys which have a very nice, smooth action with a good scissor switch click even though the travel is a bit short. Trackpad is nice as well once you get used to it.

Overall I think the TPY is perhaps a bit more toward laptop on the laptop/tablet continuum, but i think that point is a more useful device overall. Also you can dump a huge SSD into it as it takes normal 2.5" 7mm drives.

@Knight_ --

What configuration did you get yours with? I swear, it seems like putting in 8GB RAM + the digitizer screen jacks the cost up something fierce.

Yea, the digitizer is a 250 dollar option w/ the 1080p screen. I went 128 GB SSD/Digitizer/4500U i7 with 8gb RAM. Was expensive yea :/ Kinds stinks you can't separate the 8gb ram from the i7 processors if you don't need them. Personally I needed one as the photo work i do is aided by hyperthreading and the higher clocks. It's certainly a more expensive product than the SP2, but the pro does have that stealth cost of an extra 120 dollars for the type/touch cover, and I valued the extra horsepower and 12.5" screen over the cost difference.

Also ability to drop in my own SSD was a big value add to me, as SP2 SSD prices are insane.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    huh. I thought the 8GB of RAM was tied to the SSD, not to the CPU - I actually want the i7 in case I need to do VM work. It's the SP2 where the RAM is tied to the disk space, I guess.

And yeah. I look at the 8GB model of the SP2, and the TPY doesn't seem.. as unreasonable. Grr. I still want -something-, but waffling back and forth on the model sucks.

He/Him | "We who believe in freedom cannot rest." - Dr. Johnetta Cole, 7/22/2024
  • Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Dunno how I missed this thread and then also posted in Moes instead? Anyway...

I need some help. I've decided the number of wires and things on my desk is too damn high!

My current setup includes a late 2012 cMBP 15 and two Asus MS246H 24 inch monitors which are connected to my desktop PC.

I would like to consolidate to a single monitor (I'm thinking like 27 inch?) which would be connected to both the MBP and PC and I can just switch inputs as needed (the MBP would be open so effectively two screens, only need one for the PC). It would also be nice if I could have a single mouse and keyboard to control both.

At first I was looking at Apple Thunderbolt Displays, and then I got sidetracked to thunderbolt hubs (I like the idea of only having to reconnect a single cable when I bring the MBP back to my office), and then KVM switches, and then I found a NEC display with a built in USB KVM switch, but it was pretty dang expensive.

Anyway, what the heck should I do here? Normally I'm pretty good with this stuff, but computer peripherals has never been my strong point.

zucchini on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    zucchini wrote: »
    Man how the hell did I miss that

did you check your butt?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
  • Options
    I don't know about your monitors, but I bought a J5 Create Wormhole USB switch cable on smart hero's suggestion a while ago, and used it to bridge kb/mouse between two laptops at work. It was a little buggy but once you got used to it was pretty slick for seamlessly moving focus from one computer to the other.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Boy, I sure wish developers would not forget that 3GS iphones exist. Threes is lots of fun, but it literally takes 30+ seconds to launch while it plays the tiny letters-come-in animation, and it can take 5+ seconds to do a single move. I have no idea what it's doing behind the scenes; disabling gamecenter seems to have helped, but there is no excuse for a game this graphically simple to be this jerky, or to crash as often as it does.

Still, they have a tech support email address, so I've emailed them to see what happens.

(see also, for instance: Pivvot -vs- Duet; former maxes out at ~8fps, drops to 2fps every so often, and was completely unplayable until I disabled replays) -- Duet, despite being prettier, never skips at all. I think that's because Duet is native, whereas Pivvot is Unity, and the overhead from that's what slays it).

Honestly this is not developers faults so much as it is iOS becoming bloated as time goes by. iOS's footprint has increased substantially since the 3GS and it struggles just to stay on, to say nothing of running games.

Compared even to the 4, the 3GS is a dinosaur.

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I don't know about your monitors, but I bought a J5 Create Wormhole USB switch cable on smart hero's suggestion a while ago, and used it to bridge kb/mouse between two laptops at work. It was a little buggy but once you got used to it was pretty slick for seamlessly moving focus from one computer to the other.

Interesting, I'll check it out.

My end goal is to just have the one monitor, so:

MBP + Extended Display
    or
    MBP + PC on Display

So I can see that being super helpful with the latter, but would it make things weird with the former?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Hmmm...

@Knight_ --

Yea, the digitizer is a 250 dollar option w/ the 1080p screen. I went 128 GB SSD/Digitizer/4500U i7 with 8gb RAM. Was expensive yea :/ Kinds stinks you can't separate the 8gb ram from the i7 processors if you don't need them. Personally I needed one as the photo work i do is aided by hyperthreading and the higher clocks. It's certainly a more expensive product than the SP2, but the pro does have that stealth cost of an extra 120 dollars for the type/touch cover, and I valued the extra horsepower and 12.5" screen over the cost difference.

Also ability to drop in my own SSD was a big value add to me, as SP2 SSD prices are insane.

What are you going to be using the digitizer for?

• Options
    well you wouldn't need it with the former if you're consolidating down to just your MBP

• Options
    I just meant those would be the two display setups, I'll be doing both.

• Options
    oh well, you'd just have to tuck the wormhole cable away when you're not using it I guess

• Options
    anyone know a good all purpose i5 gaming build for around 750-850 usd?

we are saving soon to get my brother a replacement for his Athlon 64 x2 that craped out last month.

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Honestly this is not developers faults so much as it is iOS becoming bloated as time goes by. iOS's footprint has increased substantially since the 3GS and it struggles just to stay on, to say nothing of running games.Compared even to the 4, the 3GS is a dinosaur.

Oh, sure, I appreciate that I'm not going to be playing Infinity Blade III or anything like that. All Threes is doing is occasionally moving flat images around, and animating a few pixels of them; there is no reason it should take 30+ seconds to show six letters at startup, and at times even _that_ is too difficult and it'll show up with partly-rendered menu because it gave up animating partway through. I know my phone is old, but most games still work on it, it's just Threes that is having so much trouble.

(SFIV, for instance, starts up twice as fast as Threes, plays at about the same framerate when it's running, and never misses a touch/swipe/etc, despite doing a heck of a lot more with the system.)

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

we are saving soon to get my brother a replacement for his Athlon 64 x2 that craped out last month.

What can he re-use from that system? I will assume he can format his platter drive and use it as media storage, his DVD drive is SATA, and his Windows key is valid and for 7 or 8. (XP and Vista can both fuck right off)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2QQYB

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

Hmmm...

@Knight_ --

Lightroom and Photoshop mostly. I have an Intuos as part of my workflow at home, and I've grown very much used to that input method. Also it's really nice for note taking in OneNote.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Threes has devoured my soul

• Options
    Honestly this is not developers faults so much as it is iOS becoming bloated as time goes by. iOS's footprint has increased substantially since the 3GS and it struggles just to stay on, to say nothing of running games.Compared even to the 4, the 3GS is a dinosaur.

Oh, sure, I appreciate that I'm not going to be playing Infinity Blade III or anything like that. All Threes is doing is occasionally moving flat images around, and animating a few pixels of them; there is no reason it should take 30+ seconds to show six letters at startup, and at times even _that_ is too difficult and it'll show up with partly-rendered menu because it gave up animating partway through. I know my phone is old, but most games still work on it, it's just Threes that is having so much trouble.

(SFIV, for instance, starts up twice as fast as Threes, plays at about the same framerate when it's running, and never misses a touch/swipe/etc, despite doing a heck of a lot more with the system.)

From what I've seen, Threes uses the iPhone's high level drawing API's, which are slow as shit and would show up as slow on an older phone. But it's also ten times easier to develop with.

Where as SF is probably built on native GL which is hardware accelerated

• Options

What can he re-use from that system? I will assume he can format his platter drive and use it as media storage, his DVD drive is SATA, and his Windows key is valid and for 7 or 8. (XP and Vista can both fuck right off)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2QQYB
    He can't use anything from it, it's all IDE. It's like 6 years old and has XP as well.

• Options
    Like the thing has a floppy drive.

The optical drive is like x4 speed and his HDD is only 150 gigs.

• Options
    for 850 you can get plenty of computer. I don't have a specific build, but my system is an i5 system and I paid only $1000 for it basically two years ago

so figure you'll get a good computer for 850 with ease

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Actually this is like 11 dollars more but how would this work?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2QSFa

Uriel on
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    That would do fine. You can prep a USB flash drive to install Windows 7 (in fact fuck optical, flash drive installs are great) from another PC.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    I already have a USB Windows 7 Disk as I don't have an optical drive myself.

Just needed the additional key.

• Options
    Actually this PC would be better than mine by a wide margin what with the Haswell being newer than my Sandy Bridge and the 760 instead of my 560ti.

He really has needed one for a long time, he deserves it.

• Options

Hmmm...

@Knight_ --

Lightroom and Photoshop mostly. I have an Intuos as part of my workflow at home, and I've grown very much used to that input method. Also it's really nice for note taking in OneNote.

This for me as well. I'm not an artist in a drawing capacity, but I do like to doodle and draw out things for my RPGs. Otherwise, it would be mostly Onenote, and if I wanted to hand-write notes.

• Options
    From what I've seen, Threes uses the iPhone's high level drawing API's, which are slow as shit and would show up as slow on an older phone. But it's also ten times easier to develop with.

Where as SF is probably built on native GL which is hardware accelerated

ahhhhh.... that could explain it. Rats, that means there probably isn't an easy fix, either. (at least, not one on their end, rather than having me just suck it up and a buy new phone :) Threes is good, but I don't know if it's _that_ good )

• Options
    i once tried to build an isometric RPG using the iPhones drawing API's, and it brought an iPad 2 to it's knees. so I'm not surprised that a few numbers on a screen dancing around is enough to break a 3GS

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

I have a monitor with multiple inputs and I just have it cabled to my desktop and my laptop dock (DVI and VGA in this case) so that might be an option if you get a monitor with DisplayPort inputs? My Dell 27" has a DP in, it's a nice monitor.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular

I don't know why they would design with a piece of equipment four iterations back in mind.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »

I have a monitor with multiple inputs and I just have it cabled to my desktop and my laptop dock (DVI and VGA in this case) so that might be an option if you get a monitor with DisplayPort inputs? My Dell 27" has a DP in, it's a nice monitor.

I was looking at a Dell actually! I heard their display quality is pretty good.

Need to figure out what to do with the keyboard and mouse, I'll have to look at what's been recommended so far and some other stuff like switches etc

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Actually this PC would be better than mine by a wide margin what with the Haswell being newer than my Sandy Bridge and the 760 instead of my 560ti.

He really has needed one for a long time, he deserves it.

It's just a shame there's not really room in the budget for an SSD, is all.

This discussion has been closed.