Options

[Tech] thread - Galaxy Gear is bad

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    The main things really are: the inability to quickly wipe and reinstall Windows should things mess up, and difficulty of backups. If he doesn't care about any of his files, that's great. He can just keep chugging along without a care in the world as he is, but if something goes wrong, then he's the one responsible for any data recovery or computer fixings.

It's his choice, so you shouldn't have to be lumped with sorting out the problems he could have prevented.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    he could buy a mac

• Options
    *runs with his knees high over the hill*

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    OSX is better at handling having 20,000 random files all stored in the root directory, is it?

EDIT: Also, he wants to play games on it, so lolMac.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I mean his HDD hasn't failed yet either.

It's more that before the video crapped out on it it would take ten minutes to open folders on his PC because storing tens of thousands of individual files in the root is bad for the filesytem and the way window's indexes things.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    How is that not enough of an explanation for him?

"Basic functions of your computer will be faster if you do X, X is also really simple and requires minimal effort."

Alt: Do you need someone to be that mean to him for you? My rates are very reasonable.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I dunno.

Because he refuses to listen clear advice when it comes from me, even though I have far more experience with computers... :P

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    And you have problems telling him he's being a dolt?

I can be mean to him for you if you'd like. I won't make him cry.

• Options
    If someone really wanted to be mean, they'd write some kind of script to randomly delete* or corrupt** files from the root directory. Preferably his most frequently accessed files.

This has been a Jerkface Cyv Production.

* Actually hide them somewhere he can't immediately find them.

** Make copies first to somewhere he can't find them, then corrupt the originals.

• Options
    Seriously, though, what Fyn says. Tell him that if he wants to speed up his computer and make sure he won't have to lose all his files one day, he should stop being silly and listen to what the friendly family computer person who does the computer things and knows about the computer things says.

• Options
    We need a script that (invisibly) runs once at startup, and does not stay in the background.

If # of files in C:\ is greater than the minimum number required to run computer and all programs on it, then delete C:\*.*

• Options
    i really

really

wish mailbox supported Outlook/Exchange

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Who knows if it's real, but here are some "leaked" shots.

http://news.com.au/technology/gadgets/leaked-photos-show-possible-larger-iphone/story-fn6vihic-1226825986761

If they pull it off with the usual spec upgrades, and no loss in battery life. I gotta say, it'd be pretty sexy. I mean they made it thinner again too.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Outlook and express are awful

I get why they can be useful over other thing

But god damn

So much unnecessary complication

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

http://news.com.au/technology/gadgets/leaked-photos-show-possible-larger-iphone/story-fn6vihic-1226825986761

If they pull it off with the usual spec upgrades, and no loss in battery life. I gotta say, it'd be pretty sexy. I mean they made it thinner again too.

i'm happy our iphone brethern can finally join the rest of us in having awesome large screen real estate

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

i'm happy our iphone brethern can finally join the rest of us in having awesome large screen real estate

MODS

BABY HAND SHAMING

MOOOOODS

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Too much screen

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options

MODS

BABY HAND SHAMING

MOOOOODS

don't worry dan I'm sure they'll come up with a iHand one of these days, then you can upgrade!

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Ha, Apple sues Samsung then makes the Apple Galaxy S4.

• Options
    iDan

• Options
    02vJvrS.png

• Options
    I was tempted to reply to your post with just that image, so sure

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
  • Options
    Let's say I wanted to roll my own wireless security system for work, including some sort of DVR functionality.

I picked up a dropcam which is neat but also pricey and not good for outdoor use and their cloud dvr thing while not terribly expensive for the company is still maybe a bit more than I'd like, though their iPhone/Android app is pretty snazzy.

• Options
    guys I want flappy bert to be a native app

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Let's say I wanted to roll my own wireless security system for work, including some sort of DVR functionality.

I picked up a dropcam which is neat but also pricey and not good for outdoor use and their cloud dvr thing while not terribly expensive for the company is still maybe a bit more than I'd like, though their iPhone/Android app is pretty snazzy.
    We have a Q-See security system where I work.

It's not that great. Without high def it's hard to make things out sometimes. For inside, it's not a big deal. For outside though, it makes it almost useless.

I've seen some people breaking into cars, and a dude took a big shit on our lawn once. Then he wiped his ass with a towel, and threw it in our bushes.

Fucking animals, I tell ya.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular

MODS

BABY HAND SHAMING

MOOOOODS

lmao

no-cure-baby-hands-lmao.png

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I would like my iphone 5s screen to be a bit wider, but I don't know if I want it any longer. It's already taking up a lot of pocket real estate.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    End wrote: »

MODS

BABY HAND SHAMING

MOOOOODS

lmao
    no-cure-baby-hands-lmao.png

gag.gif

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I would like my iphone 5s screen to be a bit wider, but I don't know if I want it any longer. It's already taking up a lot of pocket real estate.

Yup this.

I don't mind if they make the screen bigger but not the overall size.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Once you get a big screen, you won't be able to go back.

Note 3 for lyfe!

or until the Note 4 drops

• Options
    That may be true that you don't want to go back! But that doesn't mean I don't want to upgrade to a larger device, smaller ones are "good enough" for me. And the pocketable advantages for me outweigh the screen size.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    yeah those shots are faked

apple will forever make tinyphones

• Options
    Note? More like noooooooo

te

The screen is way too big, is what I'm saying

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I don't want anything with a larger form factor than the HTC One. It's just a nice size for me to still be able to use it one-handed. It's not often I feel like I could do with a larger screen.

In fact, in the ten or so months I've owned this, I haven't actually felt the desire for a larger screen or device.

• Options
    I only wish my nexus didn't have software buttons so the whole screen would be used. It is otherwise the perfect size.

• Options
    For a while, I had on-screen buttons enabled on my One. I had to take the size down to 85 or 90 percent, though, because they do take up an awful amount of vertical space normally.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I don't want a larger phone, it won't fit in my designated Phone Pocket in my bag.

This discussion has been closed.