Options

[Tech] thread - Galaxy Gear is bad

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    All this Keurig talk :(
    Uriel wrote: »
    Hey not really technology based but.

Abracadaniel

Tell me about coffee. I like it but I don't want no more gross maxwell house that sits in my fridge for months and a ten year old coffee maker.

http://dancatchpole.me/post/coffee-primer
    Thanks Dan!

I'm actually looking at getting a bodum press and a little mill grinder for around 50 some bucks on amazon and I've found some good local roasters to try to get some beans from.

Do you have any recommendations for a creamer to use? In cheap coffee I use about a tablespoon of generic non dairy creamer to cover the bitter taste from our dirty coffee pot and would like to ease into drinking a darker cup.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    guys, this thread is almost over! let us all welcome the first mike blais 2014 tech thread

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Hooooo baby is my body ready

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    So I'm having some probable memory issues in my computer right now. When I set the memory to DDR3 1600 a few weeks ago, the system started straight up crashing with memory errors. I set the memory back to the default the Motherboard picked of 1333.

Today I was tabbed out of a game and then walked away to check something. When I came back, the whole computer had locked up. I downloaded and ran MemTest86 and the test reported one error on the first pass and the whole computer locked up on pass 2.

I restarted my computer and ran the test again. It locked up on pass 1, so I shut down my computer and removed one stick of RAM and ran the test again.

The test went fine with no errors. I moved the stick to the other DIMM slot and ran the test a second time. No errors.

I did the same with the second stick and didn't get any errors.

I put both sticks back in and for fun, swapped which DIMM slots they are in and now, I have three errors.

Here's the whole latest test log:
    System Information

EFI Specifications	2.31
    CPU type	Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz
    Measured CPU Speed	3403 MHz [Turbo: 3483.4 MHz]
    # Logical Processors	8
    L1 Cache	64K (103896 MB/s)
    L2 Cache	256K (52106 MB/s)
    L3 Cache	8192K (32052 MB/s)
    RAM	8247M (16380 MB/s)
    DIMM #0	4GB DDR3 XMP PC3-12800
    Mushkin / 992002 (997002)
    9-9-9-24 / 800 MHz / 1.500V
    DIMM #1	4GB DDR3 XMP PC3-12800
    Result summary

Test Start time	2014-02-15 15:23:01
    Elapsed Time	0:12:02
    Memory Range Tested	0x0 - 21F000000 (8688MB)
    CPU Selection Mode	Single (CPU #0)
    # Tests Passed	8/9 (88%)
    Lowest Error Address	0x1B707B318 (7024MB)
    Highest Error Address	0x1B707B318 (7024MB)
    Bits in Error Mask	0000000000400000
    Bits in Error	1
    Max Contiguous Errors	1

Test	# Tests                                             Passed	Errors
    Test 0 [Address test, walking ones, 1 CPU]	1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 1 [Address test, own address, 1 CPU]	1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 2 [Address test, own address]	        1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 3 [Moving inversions, ones & zeroes]	1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 4 [Moving inversions, 8-bit pattern]	1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 5 [Moving inversions, random pattern]	1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 6 [Block move, 64-byte blocks]	        1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 7 [Moving inversions, 32-bit pattern]	1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 8 [Random number sequence]	        0/1 (0%)	3
    Test 9 [Modulo 20, ones & zeros]	        0/0 (0%)	0
    Test 10 [Bit fade test, 2 patterns, 1 CPU]	0/0 (0%)	0

Last 10 Errors
    [Data Error] Test: 8, CPU: 0, Address: 1B707B318, Expected: A893369B, Actual: A8D3369B

I'm learning towards RAM, but wouldn't be surprised if it was somehow my motherboard.

Yukira on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    All this Keurig talk :(
    Hey not really technology based but.

Abracadaniel

Tell me about coffee. I like it but I don't want no more gross maxwell house that sits in my fridge for months and a ten year old coffee maker.

http://dancatchpole.me/post/coffee-primer
    Thanks Dan!

I'm actually looking at getting a bodum press and a little mill grinder for around 50 some bucks on amazon and I've found some good local roasters to try to get some beans from.

Do you have any recommendations for a creamer to use? In cheap coffee I use about a tablespoon of generic non dairy creamer to cover the bitter taste from our dirty coffee pot and would like to ease into drinking a darker cup.

After you brew a w the press, try it black first, or better yet, see if your roaster also offers pour-over cups (if they're also a coffe shop) and try it that way.

There's some brand that has a sweet cream creamer with actual sugar in it that I've mixed with cold brew coffee that @stareosarus had really enjoyed.

Other than that, avoid all the crazy flavored creamers and whatnot because you're destroying any actual coffee flavor with them. There's even some darker roasts that can benefit from milk or cream, something with how the fat in the milk interacts w the coffee, or so I've heard.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Ah okay, yeah I was going to try it black first.

I usually add in sugar first and then creamer to my shitty coffee. Tasting as I go.

Thanks for the help. Can't wait to put this order in.

also this is where I plan to order beans.

http://drakescoffee.com/our-beans/

Which ones should I try?

Uriel on
  • Options
    I tend to favor African beans as they usually show off more bright and citrusy flavors, though that yirgacheff would probably be great in a press.

• Options
    Bright and citrusy would be good maybe, I do enjoy Earl Grey when I sit down for tea and that kinda seems a little citrusy.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, coffee is all personal preference. Due to sensitive stomach stuff, I generally prefer central/high south american beans for the smoothness.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I just got a bonavita bv1800, and man, is that thing ever a big step up from the ancient proctor-silex machine I had before. It's not quite as much control as a V60 + gooseneck kettle (or aeropress) but I can still make a single cup of decent pourover coffee with much less effort, which at certain times of the day is a big deal.

Otherwise, espresso is the way to go, but that's a whole other world. I've got the initial pull down fairly solid by now:
    ca1YkU1.jpg

and on a good day I can get a decent rosetta (on a bad day it looks like bath foam.. ) :
    C09j2L7.jpg

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    I

Love

My V60.

Pour over is the light in the darkness that was not owning an espresso machine.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    Is $300 a good asking price for a Note 2 with a 64gb micro SD card and a Samsung flip cover?

The phone has some slight nicks on the sides but the screen is perfect

you can probably find the going price on craigslist

add $50 for the microSD card

sold the lot for $350

so the Nexus 5 cost me $80 (after tax and shipping) out of pocket

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »
    i specifically come to this thread to a) nerd the fuck out and b) read other people nerding the fuck out

Well it is a 48" vizio which is so big I had no idea holy crap

1080p is something I've only ever really used in monitors, this is my first tv that is that high resolution. It's so so pretty. And the tv has like a quarter of an inch bezel so the picture takes up almost the whole thing, it's awesome

Got it hooked into our wifi last night and the apps are pretty good! Hulu plus one is a bit jank in design, but all the others work great and are pretty responsive

Have yet to play a game on here... Let's do that now

so jealous

i have a 50" panasonic but it's got a big ol' bezel on it

all these people with no bezel TVs make me wanna join the future but I think I'd need to go a little smaller

I had a 32 inch flatscreen with a fairly chunky bezel, and when I upgraded from that to the 60 inch unit I have now, the tiny bezel makes a huge difference. Granted, I really only considered panel quality above all else, so while I got 120hz and microdimming, the bezel still isn't as small as it could have been if I'd spent a couple of thousand more. 3/4 inch is stillsmall enoigh that it's basically un-noticeable whilst watching movies. When I'm playing games (lights on), it's slightly more noticeable, but still not distracting.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    So I'm having some probable memory issues in my computer right now. When I set the memory to DDR3 1600 a few weeks ago, the system started straight up crashing with memory errors. I set the memory back to the default the Motherboard picked of 1333.

Today I was tabbed out of a game and then walked away to check something. When I came back, the whole computer had locked up. I downloaded and ran MemTest86 and the test reported one error on the first pass and the whole computer locked up on pass 2.

I restarted my computer and ran the test again. It locked up on pass 1, so I shut down my computer and removed one stick of RAM and ran the test again.

The test went fine with no errors. I moved the stick to the other DIMM slot and ran the test a second time. No errors.

I did the same with the second stick and didn't get any errors.

I put both sticks back in and for fun, swapped which DIMM slots they are in and now, I have three errors.

Here's the whole latest test log:
    System Information

EFI Specifications	2.31
    CPU type	Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz
    Measured CPU Speed	3403 MHz [Turbo: 3483.4 MHz]
    # Logical Processors	8
    L1 Cache	64K (103896 MB/s)
    L2 Cache	256K (52106 MB/s)
    L3 Cache	8192K (32052 MB/s)
    RAM	8247M (16380 MB/s)
    DIMM #0	4GB DDR3 XMP PC3-12800
    DIMM #1	4GB DDR3 XMP PC3-12800
    Result summary

Test Start time	2014-02-15 15:23:01
    Elapsed Time	0:12:02
    Memory Range Tested	0x0 - 21F000000 (8688MB)
    CPU Selection Mode	Single (CPU #0)
    # Tests Passed	8/9 (88%)
    Lowest Error Address	0x1B707B318 (7024MB)
    Highest Error Address	0x1B707B318 (7024MB)
    Bits in Error Mask	0000000000400000
    Bits in Error	1
    Max Contiguous Errors	1

Test	# Tests                                             Passed	Errors
    Test 0 [Address test, walking ones, 1 CPU]	1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 1 [Address test, own address, 1 CPU]	1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 2 [Address test, own address]	        1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 3 [Moving inversions, ones & zeroes]	1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 4 [Moving inversions, 8-bit pattern]	1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 5 [Moving inversions, random pattern]	1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 6 [Block move, 64-byte blocks]	        1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 7 [Moving inversions, 32-bit pattern]	1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 8 [Random number sequence]	        0/1 (0%)	3
    Test 9 [Modulo 20, ones & zeros]	        0/0 (0%)	0
    Test 10 [Bit fade test, 2 patterns, 1 CPU]	0/0 (0%)	0

Last 10 Errors
    [Data Error] Test: 8, CPU: 0, Address: 1B707B318, Expected: A893369B, Actual: A8D3369B

I'm learning towards RAM, but wouldn't be surprised if it was somehow my motherboard.

With my old desktop I had many errors with RAM in dual-channel but it was fine in single-channel. So that might be something to try.

• Options
    I just took the plunge and bought a new 5s!

I see it as a frontloaded investment because I can just sell it for almost full price when the 6 comes out and upgrade for ~100 each time.

• Options
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    I

Love

My V60.

Presumably you know the trick to using the much easier-to-find melitta #4 filters, rather than having to buy the special cone ones? Start with one of those, and fold along the line where the seams are:

u2PY58s.jpg

so you end up with the right sort of point at the bottom:

y4GFtEU.jpg

It sticks out the top of the cone a bit, but that doesn't matter when you're actually using it:

ZFLZ0U1.jpg

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I was just skimming the thread and forgot about the coffee talk and was wondering what the fuck those pictures had to do with phones

Like, was I missing a "Drink your phone" app??

• Options
    Well, there _are_ coffee apps for phones, but I haven't found any which are really "apps"; I have one which is just pre-set timers for aeropress brewing, and one which is a set of videos for making latte art, and that one could just as well be a youtube playlist. Still, it's a bit easier than having to go and find the bits on their own, at least.

• Options
    On a more technical note, I an VERY TIRED of incessant bluescreens in network drivers. I tried using a USB network adapter instead but that just moved them to the other driver; I am starting to have a nagging feeling I need to entirely replace the motherboard but I really don't want to do that, because to get anything that's noticeably better than what I have now would be more expensive than I can afford. (currently sitting with an overclocked E8400 , which is far from cutting-edge, but according to http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html I'm not too far behind, either)

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Do you have antivirus installed? When I was developing network drivers they would bluescreen me all the time

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Anyone have any tips on building a home media server? Just something I can put all of our music/photos/videos/etc for easy access on a home network so we don't have ~3 different external hard drives floating around. I was thinking of plugging it directly into our Raspberry Pi for TV streaming, but also having WiFi so we could access it on other devices.

Would Samba work well enough? Should I look into dedicated NAS software like FreeNAS? Is there a point to setting up a RAID array instead of just having a couple of large hard drives? I have an older, small computer I can probably repurpose once I get around to fixing it.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    FreeNAS is kinda hard to setup.

But it works really well with pretty much any hardware, though SATA is best because you can use a nice filesystem.

I set one up for my Pi (which can access it much easier with NFS than SMB files actually) a while ago but haven't had it hooked up in a while because it was mostly an experiment and an 80Gb IDE drive media server isn't that useful...

• Options
    But Samba should be totally fine for most Raspberry Pi media setups, unless you have an XP machine on your network, in which case it always froze for me.

• Options
    I got a drobo during a Black Friday sale

They are $$$$ but very awesome as a NAS to set up and expand

And the newer model 5N can run some Linux stuff like Plex out of the box, plus more stuff that was a bit of a beast to configure but now works pretty solidly. Combined with my now-defunct Boxee Box it's a great home theater setup.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Drobos are great. Got it guy to set one up for me at work because I also do a ton of video stuff and need like terabytes of network storage now.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    That Drobo looks nice, but is definitely pricey. Something to keep an eye out for sales, though!

Speaking of Plex, would it be worth looking into as a server? It looks like they support Ubuntu/Fedora/CentOS, so maybe I could use a very light-weight Linux distro and put Plex on top. Or would performance be noticeably better with something else? Anyone had much experience with it?

工事中
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    So I bought one of the Dell Venue 8 tablets while they were $126 for President's day. I saw that Groupon still has them at $150. I am surprised at how well built this thing is for the price point. I know they were supposed to retail for $180 or whatever but even then I think I would call it really well built. It feels a lot sturdier than the original Nexus 7.

The screen is just alright, but it's the same as resolution as the original Nexus 7 so it's not bad. Also, I haven't used an Atom processor since the single-core netbook days, so I'm pleasantly surprised with how well it handles Android.

If they were always on sale at that price point I would never stop recommending them for a budget tablet.

• Options
    @jgeis Got a link to that? We're looking for a decent low-end android tablet right now for work

• Options
    http://touch.groupon.com/deals/gg-dell-venue-7-or-8-tablet

That's the link to the Groupon deal. The Dell deal already sold out at the $126 price. They're back up to the $180 retail price. The 7" version is $150 at Dell all the time and the only difference is screen size (not resolution though) and Atom processor (2GHz Z2580 vs 1.6GHz Z2560).

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Actually Dan I just saw on Slickdeals that Dell has them for $130 again if you use coupon code J41TT1LGPH2RD2 until tomorrow at 6AM.

jgeis on
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks. Shame they don't have LTE, but I can get one for myself to test with & learn to lock down.

• Options
    They built the SD card slot cover to accommodate a SIM, so maybe LTE is coming soon?

• Options
    SenorTacosSenorTacos Registered User regular
    So I set myself up a really cheap low power nas. 15 bucks plus a usb harddrive.
    Here's the tutorial if you're interested.
    It's a pretty simple way to learn some basic linux command line stuff too.

I'm really tempted to get a raspberry pi, but I'm waiting to make sure I can actually afford it.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Augh. Gonna take this macbook into the store soon. Just crashed again and lost all the notes I was taking during class.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Do you have antivirus installed? When I was developing network drivers they would bluescreen me all the time

Yup, I have AV running (ms security essentials, which seems to be the lowest-impact one that actually works), but I'm pretty sure it's not the problem -- I disabled it and still got bluescreens, the bluescreens are in nvmf6264.sys, which is part of the mobo drivers. I seem to have got things to settle down a bit by forcibly switching from Nvidia's network drivers to the super-old ones that shipped as part of Windows, but we'll see.

• Options
    I got my new phone today, it's so nice to have a fast phone once again. My 4 served me well but it was time to move on.

I also bought a new SSD because I'd pretty much filled my 128gb one.

• Options
    the thought of a fresh windows install is kinda daunting though

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    If you don't know about this, you really should

http://www.ninite.com

Builds and all in one installer for all those little freeware apps we love, and strips out all the crap that can come with them. It has drastically cut down the amount of time it takes for me to re-deploy a computer. Also acts as an updater for the apps you select. Just re-run the installer and it'll update everything. Hope this is helpful :)

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Oh, man, I'd completely forgotten about Adobe AIR. Does anything still use that?

This discussion has been closed.