As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCHRPG] Batman: Arkham Asylum- Act 2: Joker's Asylum

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    yah, sorry, that PAX thing happened. The Bat will be on tomorrow

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    But you guys are totally in preludeville too, is the thing. That said...

Mr. Freeze

Freeze shakes off the shock batons, stiff-arms one of the Asylum guards out of his way, and rushes Doctor Young.

"I believe you wanted a skin sample, Doctor?" he quips in his signature deadpan as he launches a furious backhanded slap at the psychiatrist.

Skin sample!
    Solo d10 (4), Vengeful d8 (7), Enhanced Strength d8 (8), Combat Expert d8 (1) = 15, d10 physical stress if it hits.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Mr. Freeze's arm is suddenly stopped when the four guards slam into him, tackling him to the ground. "Dr. Fries," Dr. Young says, clearly unfazed about this "I would have expected more control from a man of your caliber. But disappointments are clearly the norm with you. Place him in his cryotank and return him to his cell." Dr. Young turns to leave. "You are not that important to my plans, Mr. Freeze. There are others here who have more... valuable oddities I can use."
    Buying that 1 for a d6, which I spend to try to interrupt your attack on Dr. Young.
    Guards: Stopping Mr. Freeze (Team 4d8, Guards of Arkham d8, Shock Baton d8, Combat Expert d8): 7#1d8 8 8 3 5 5 4 5 16, d8. Since you have a d10 effect, my effect die is d6 so you have only d10 physical stress.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Mr. Freeze

Freeze seems almost pleased with the prospect of returning to his tank, and doesn't put up much of a fight.

"You are a foolish, arrogant woman, Doctor Young. I look forward to watching this plan of yours fail."

• Options
    Batman

He can never resist making this a show. He never cares whether lives are at stake, it's all a part of some grand game to him. In a town full of madmen, Joker tops them all. I pull up to City Hall, listening to the chatter on the car's receiver.

The new one, McGinnis, he seems eager, hot-blooded. Reminds me of Jason, but with the touch of temperance that I was never able to instill in Todd. I plan to use that as an asset here. If anyone but Booster Gold had sent this kid to me, I'd be immediately suspicious. Not to say I'm not, but the story seemed to check out. The suit is years ahead my current technology, but all the hallmarks are there. We'll see if he can handle himself with this mission

"McGinnis, take the 2nd floor. Nightwing, you go in through the vents, try to get an assessment of any other threats in the building. I'll go in the via back door and keep them off our scent." I exit the car, creeping towards the back door.
    Team D6, Obsessive Champion of Gotham D8, Enhanced Reflexes d8, Covert Master d10

Sneaking to the back door (1d6+2d8+1d10=27)

15 with a d10 effect. I am the Night.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Terry

"Copy that, Br...Batman."

I smack my forehead in frustration. Get in the game, McGinnis.

Clicking the buttons on the underside of my left arm activates the cloaking device in the suit. I'll be invisible to any dregs in there. Unless they're wearing some sort of UV goggles...let's hope they're not wearing goggles.

I jump from my hiding place and glide down to the open window, glancing around to see if anyone heard my approach.
    Solo d8, Former Bad Kid d8, Invisibility d10, Covert Expert d8

Sneak into City Hall: 1d8 2 1d8 5 1d10 10 1d8 1

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The guards place Mr. Freeze back into his cryotank. As soon as the doors close, the cold air heals his wounds and brings strength back into his body. What plans did Dr. Young have for him? Or the other inmates from the sounds of it? Maybe it might be useful to him. But knowing that woman, it was unlikely...
    **********************************************************************************

McGinnis lands quietly by the window, so much so that the nearby birds don't even notice him. Or care. When he looks inside, he spots the heat source, a lone Joker Gangster, with his clownface mask up. The man seems too preoccupied in lighting up something that McGinnis can tell isn't tobacco to even try to spot him. The Future Batman stays perfectly still as the man leans on the window ledge to stare out into the city.
    Joker Gangster To Spot a Bat (Solo d6, Street Rubble d8): 1#1d8 5 1#1d6 5 5 d6.

This isn't in the rules book as far as I can see, but since the Batfamily is notorious for Stealth, I'm going to houserule Coup de grace. When your target isn't alerted (or isn't awake), you can try to Coup de grace him. Its a normal attack on your part, but if you hit, the target takes d6 Trauma and is out of the fight (dead or knocked out, your choice.) If your target has Enhanced or better Reflexes, Senses, or Durability, this doesn't work since they are trained or used to sneak attacks. If there are more than one guy in the room that can see each other, doing this will alert them all to your presence, but your hidden allies can't Coup de Grace since everyone is looking for a fight. Sound fair to everyone?

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Terry

I grab the upper frame of the window with both hands and swing my legs in, planting both feet into the face of the Joker goon. He wasn't too careful, because he stumbles backward, hits his head on the wall, and crumples into a pile on the floor.

"Hostile is down; I'm in the building," I whisper into the communications link to the rest of the team.
    Solo d8, Tomorrow Knight d8, Enhanced Strength d8, Combat Expert d8

Knockout Joker Gangster: 1d8 7 1d8 7 1d8 7 1d8 5

I'll spend a PP to make it 21 with a d8 to knock out the clown

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Take it to a 21 and kick his head off!

• Options
    I think all of the non-Freeze characters might take exception to that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    just a bit, but the higher number for insurance isn't a bad idea

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Well, other characters appearing in this group. Jason or Helena would probably be cool with it, to say nothing of Cassandra Cain! Also, you should kick his head off because you have a mechanized Batsuit and want to show off, obviously. :D

There's a method of sorts to Freeze's madness, I promise.

• Options
    The goon doesn't even see what hits him as an invisible force throws him back and knocks him out cold.

• Options
    Nightwing

I nod, then move to follow Bruce's suggestion. The vents are a little cramped, but I've been through worse. I grab a audio amplifier from my utility belt, keeping an ear out for anything suspicious.
    Team d10, Something to Prove d4 (+1PP), Enhanced Senses d8, Utility Belt d8, Covert Expert d8

Attempt to set up "Forewarned" asset: 1#1d10 3 3#1d8 7 2 7 1#1d4 2

14 w/ d10 effect - success will create a "Forewarned" Asset that others can use.

• Options
    Nightwing moves forward through the vents, the audio amplifier plus the sound carrying properties of the vents give him a good idea where people are. If Grayson had to guess, based on the amount of noise, there where 20 plus people.

"I haven't got all day, people! It's my birthday, and I want cake! TONS of it! Hahahahaheeehaahaheee!" one high pitched voice rings in Nightwing's ear. There is no doubt, the Joker is here.

• Options
    I make my way to the back door, peering through the crack to try and notice any gang members or traps. The Joker was too smart to leave anything like this to chance
    World's Greatest Detective, Team, Enhanced Senses, Covert Master

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4205201/

Ack! 8 with a D8 effect. We may be in trouble chums....

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I'm going to buy those two 1s to add a d8 to the doom pool. Current Pool: 1d6, 1d8.
    DOOM POOL: Are You The Night? Or Are You Dancer? (1d6, 1d8): 1#1d8 8 1#1d6 6 8, d6, Ties goes to the attacker, aka BATMAN!

There are no traps or gang members at the back door. From the cigarette buds on the ground, it seems the employees left this door open, so they could light up despite Gotham's new anti-smoking ban. The hallway is dark, but doesn't seemed trapped or guarded.
    Doom Pool: 1d6, 1d8
    2PP [ ] Batman (Bruce Wayne)
    0PP [ ] Batman (Terry McGinnis)
    1PP [ ] Nightwing

Scene Distinctions: Dark Halls, Office Furniture, Tied Up Hostages

2PP [ ] Mr. Freeze

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    Nightwing finally get to the council chambers, where he sees about six clown goons and ten hostages. Sitting on the council leader's chair is the Joker, with his feet propped up on top of Mayor Garcia head. "Oh, what's taking them so long? I have places to burn, people to kill, autographs to sign! Heehaha!"

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Terry

I move past the goon I just knocked out and take a look around before exiting the room. I got to get to the Joker and defuse this situation quickly.

Solo d8, Tomorrow Knight d8, Invisibility d10, Covert Expert d8

Find the Joker: 1d8 7 1d8 8 1d10 6 1d8 6

15 with a d10 effect.

Please expect terrible rolls in combat, based on these stellar rolls for sneaking and exploring.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Doom Pool can't beat that.

Terry follows the dark halls downstairs, to the main floor. He hears the Joker's voice coming from the only lit room in the building, the council chambers. It seems all the other gangsters are in there too.

• Options
    @Grunt's Ghosts: If I wanted to use a Batarang to kill the lights in the chambers, would that be an Asset or Complication creation?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shit, that's a good question. Its works pretty much the same but since you guys are more in tune with the dark, make it a complication.

• Options
    I pick my way through the building. Normally full of bustling clerks, the place has been rendered a bastion of madness by the darkness. Following the noise I was hearing over the comms, I made my way to the main room
    How are the thugs setup? Just in a big ring around the hostages pointing guns?

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Yeah, there are six of them with ten hostages who are tied up to chairs. And of course, Joker and the Mayor.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Terry

Time to create a distraction. I pull out a Batarang and tap a few buttons on the size. I fling it into the room, and the gadget homes in on the heat from the overhead lights, smashing them all in turn, until the room is pitch black. As the lights go out, I slip into the room, waiting to see the dregs' reactions to the sudden change in their vision.

I feel a little bad about breaking the lights, but sometimes you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette.
    Solo d8, Former Bad Kid d4 +1 PP, Batarang d8, Covert Expert d8

Batarang the Lights: 1d8 7 1d4 1 1d8 5 1d8 6

13 with a d8 to create a Blackout Asset.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The lights in the room goes out, causing a cry of surprise from the goons and the hostages. The only person who doesn't reaction is the Joker.

"Um... Boss? What just happen?" one of the goons ask.

"Why, I do believe its my old pal, Bats! Yohoo! Tall, Dark, and Annoying! Did you bring me my cake?" Batman hears a butterfly knife flapping in the dark. "I'd love to get you a slice!"

Doom Pool: Lights Out? (1d8, 1d6): 1#1d8 7 1#1d6 5 12 d4. Its really dark.

Everyone has a BLACKOUT Asset. Add d8 to your rolls when you use the darkness to your advantage.

• Options
    Are the goons a Mob, in terms of affecting them with attacks?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I was gonna go after the Joker, but if the goons are a Mob I'll take a swing at them instead.

• Options
    Goons are Mobs. So they have a 6d8 Team.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I was gonna go after the Joker, but if the goons are a Mob I'll take a swing at them instead.
    I was just waiting to see how everybody else responded to the darkness before I started swinging on people; I didn't have much of a plan past that point. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    really? You thought you two were taking the Joker? Now that's funny...

The lights went out, one of the kids putting us in our element. I trigger my comm twice, the signal to move in. They can take out the gang members, but I need to take care of the Joker
    1d6 team + 1d8 Enhanced Reflexes + 1d8 Obsessive Champion of Gotham + 1d8 Blackout + 1d10 Covert Master

1d6+1d8+1d8+1d8+1d10=30

28 with a d8 effect to.... I suppose complicate them finding me "Silent Predator"

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Matev wrote: »
    really? You thought you two were taking the Joker? Now that's funny...
    Of course! Nightwing has Something to Prove, after all.

Nightwing

Under cover of darkness, I swing into the room and lash out against the goons. Six swift strikes is all it takes.
    Team d10, Something to Prove d8, Enhanced Reflexes d8, Swingline d8 (SFX: Area Attack 5d6), Combat Expert d8, BLACKOUT d8

Take down the goons: 1#1d10 10 5#1d8 3 6 7 8 2 5#1d6 6 2 3...

10 + 8 + 7 (-1 PP) = 25 w/ d8, d8, d8, d6, d6, d6 effect.

• Options
    The goons don't hear Nightwing until its too late. There are sounds of pain, random shots skywards and the hostages screaming. As Nightwing's eyes adjust to the dark, he can see he has hit everyone, but three of the gangsters are still moving. "That isn't Batman! Its the kiddo! Bluebird or Robin or Lil' Sparrow!" Joker stands up with the knife to the Mayor's neck. "So Bat Brains didn't bother to come out here himself? What? Did Bane break his back again?"

@Matev, how did you pull a 28? Did you spend both your PP?
    Doom Pool can't beat that roll of 28 so no trying there.
    Goons defending against Nightwing: Defending against Nightwing (Team 6d8, Desperate d4, Combat Novice d6): 6#1d8 2 2 4 3 2 3 1#1d6 6 1#1d4 4 10, 6d8 effect so 3 get taken out but 3 of them take d4 physical damage instead of d6.

Doom Pool: 2d8
    0PP [X] Batman (Bruce Wayne)
    0PP [ ] Batman (Terry McGinnis)
    1PP [X] Nightwing

[ ] 3d6 Joker's Gangsters
    [ ] Mister J <3

Scene Distinctions: Dark Halls, Office Furniture, Tied Up Hostages

2PP [ ] Mr. Freeze

• Options
    all the dice are listed in the roll spoiler. And the link will show that I rolled white hot on that one. Just waiting on @dresdenphile then I'll start the reall fun

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Terry

I flick out three of the standard Batarangs and aim for the remaining goons. The weapons slide out of my hand, but I'm not overly confident they're gonna hit, though...
    Team d6, Tomorrow Knight d8, Batarang d8 (Area Effect +2d6), Combat Expert d8, Blackout d8

Batarang Remaining Goons: 1d6 2 1d8 4 1d8 8 1d8 1 1d6 2 1d6 51d8=2

It looks like a whopping 13 with a d8, d8, and a d6 effect.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @Grunt's Ghosts
    Is 10 your total for the goons? My total was 25, so that'd be a x3 Extraordinary Success (beat opposing total by 15), which would step up my effect dice to d12+d6, d12+d6, d12+6, d12, d12, d12.

@Matev
    You only get to keep two dice without spending PP. So on a result of 5/5/2/8/10, you could have an 18 w/ d8 effect for free, or spend a PP to keep a five to get 23 w/ d8, or spend two PPs to keep both fives for 28 w/ d8, or three PPs to have 30 w/ d8 effect.

• Options
    ah, forgot about that part. I thought I was doing horribly well. 18 with a d8 is just dandy

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Doesn't matter, either way you would have still beaten the doom pool. And I forgot about the success thing. Yeah, all thugs are out. @dresdenphile you can redo your turn in light of my mistake.

• Options
    Terry

Nightwing took out six guards in one go. Gonna be hard to top that.

I start to find a more advantageous position, but something snaps in me when the Joker brings up Bruce's back. I lunge out of the darkness at the jerk, claws extended.

"Oh, I'm here, Joker. I wouldn't want you to have all the fun."
    Not the most tactical maneuver, but I feel like it's more in-character for Terry.

Team d6, Former Bad Kid d4+1 PP (doing the "wrong thing" by straight up attacking the Joker), Enhanced Strength d6 (downgraded by Claws but will increase stress inflicted), Combat Expert d8

Attack the Joker: 1d6 4 1d4 4 1d6 4 1d8 1 8 with a d8 physical stress

steam_sig.png